• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LugNut74

Zeitgeister said:
Missed the witcher and Deus Ex collection.

Thinking about Stalker and GTA4 pack at the moment.

Oh, and the unreal deal pack from the UK. Or does that go on sale quite regular?

A heads up you can pick up The Witcher on amazon.com for 5 bucks. I just did. Waited for steam to put it up again and they didn't so I went to amazon. Good day.

Mairu

Where do you guys go on steam to see the recent purchases list? Even though I'm afraid to look at how much total I spent :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mairu said:
Where do you guys go on steam to see the recent purchases list? Even though I'm afraid to look at how much total I spent :lol

Nobody is reading this thread :lol

Click on your account name in the upper right corner.

Reikon

Max said:
xlbl9d.png

$46.46 USD + $10 USD for Heroes of Newerth

Spent more than I should have.

But Arma2 + Operation Arrowhead are $12.50 for both on Amazon.

I spent $100 on games and then $400 upgrading my pc halfway through the sale. If I ever run into Based Gabe that fool is buying me a sandwich.

kennah

FOR EVERYONE INTERESTED IN BROKEN SWORD

If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) it is currently FREE on the App Store.

filipe

Benedict said:
Trying not to buy VVVVVVVVVVVV.

Oh god same, my buddy is raving about it. I have Super Meat Boy and love the challenge, but I don't know about VVVVVVVVVVVV. I'm normally fine with bland + indie style, but SMB is amazing not just for the gameplay but for the quirkiness and visuals. It was making me laugh so much just a minute ago.

I re-totaled my Steam purchases and I'm actually $10 short of my budget. Should I buy it gaf, SHOULD I?!

epmode

I <3 Memes said:
I cant guarantee that this will work with a controller but it does make mouse controls nice and smooth.
That does absolutely nothing for the dead zone on the pad controls. And he's right, it's very noticeable. I just got used to it.

You might already know what he's talking about but just in case: You have to push the analogue stick pretty far before Dead Space will respond to a command. Makes aiming harder than it should be. But again, I just got used to it.

Carm

I asked this yesterday but didn't get a response. Is Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum fully patched out of the gate or will I need to downloade from Steam then start up their patching client? I'm willing to pay 10 bucks to never have to patch it again.

filipe said:
Oh god same, my buddy is raving about it. I have Super Meat Boy and love the challenge, but I don't know about VVVVVVVVVVVV. I'm normally fine with bland + indie style, but SMB is amazing not just for the gameplay but for the quirkiness and visuals. It was making me laugh so much just a minute ago.

I re-totaled my Steam purchases and I'm actually $10 short of my budget. Should I buy it gaf, SHOULD I?!
I will not address your concerns because they suck. Just go ahead and buy it.

stuminus3

kennah said:
FOR EVERYONE INTERESTED IN BROKEN SWORD

If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) it is currently FREE on the App Store.
Thanks for the heads up on this... I already own Director's Cut on Wii (paid full price) and PC (paid 5 bucks) but I can't argue with free. :lol

Mairu

oh my GOD I ended up spending $245.93 :lol

Now to stop buying games for a long time and spend the next year playing all of them until Steam Holiday Sale 2011.

I went a little overboard this sale. :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Carm said:
I asked this yesterday but didn't get a response. Is Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum fully patched out of the gate or will I need to downloade from Steam then start up their patching client? I'm willing to pay 10 bucks to never have to patch it again.
AFAIK, all Steam games are patched on their servers, and you actually re-download the patched files. There's never any patching process happening on your end.

So yes, to answer your question, if you downloaded Neverwinter Nights today, it would be the most recent version. When/If an update comes out, the files on the server will be changed (updated) and those files will be downloaded to your computer - and that's where Steam and Huge-Ass container files fail.

Company of heroes has all the voices stored in one single compressed 2 gigabyte file. If a patch ever touches that file, even if you're only changing a 200kb file inside that huge 2gigabyte file, you'll have to re download the entire 2gb file (because Steam is only aware of file changes, not files inside files changes).

It's a small price to pay for not having to patch stuff manually ever again, it's only applicable to a handful of games, and how often do patches change big resource files, like movies and/or audio?

verbatimo

Total damage to my wallet:

Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
Shatter
Crysis Collection
Serious Sam Gold Pack
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
FlatOut 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Overlord II
Darksiders
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Elven Legacy Collection
Lara Croft GOL

----------
93,02€

First my budget was 50€. But steam sales are like a drug, so I had to upgrade the budget to 100€. These games should last long enough. :D

Max

I am not Max
Reikon said:
But Arma2 + Operation Arrowhead are $12.50 for both on Amazon.
Yea I saw that the day after I got OA :lol
Oh well. $26 is worth it to me for both games, and to have them on Steam

scitek

Total on Steam = $100.41

$29.99 of it was just Hot Pursuit and counting packs like the Oddboxx, I ended up with 21 games. :D

Dr.Acula

Banned
Toma said:
Nobody is reading this thread :lol

Click on your account name in the upper right corner.

In just over 2 years, I've dropped ~388.46* on Steam.

Dayum.

*L4D2 4-pack, got cash back from my mates.

biocat

I'm almost done. Think I might still grab Grand Ages: Rome + expansion, and Children of the Nile before the day is over. Opinions?

kadotsu

Banned
It's time to recap my Steam Sale purchases:

Indie Brain Pack 4,49€
Indie Fantasy Pack 4,49€
Indie Fright Pack 4,49€
Prince of Persia 3,74€
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time 2,49€
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones 2,49€
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within 2,49€
Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe 14,99€
Tomb Raider Anniversary 7,49€
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 4€
Lucidity 4,49€
Zeno Clash 5,99€
Deathspank 6,49€
SimCity 4 Deluxe 4,99€
Crysis Complete 4,99€
Swords and Soldiers HD 2,50€
Broken Sword - Trilogy Pack 7,47
Far Cry Complete 9,99€
Hitman: Blood Money 2,49€
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle 4,75€
Guardians of Graxia + Map Pack 3,11€
Sam and Max Season One 14,99€
Sam and Max Season Two 13,99€
Humble Indie Bundle 1 & 2 8$

Total: 137,4€ + 8$

I could have saved 4,50€ with a little more patience

I also spend 99,84€ on the sales leading up to the Holiday sale. I have no regrets!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, as it appears to be in fashion, here's my final total.

20 Dec 2010 £20.22
Super Meat Boy, Crash Time III, Winterbottom, Toki Tori, Shadowgrounds, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

21 Dec 2010 £1.74
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition

21 Dec 2010 £3.90
The Polynomial, Lara Croft GOL

22 Dec 2010 £1.50
Trials 2: Second Edition

22 Dec 2010 Free (For buying the 2nd Indie Bundle)
Humble Indie Bundle

23 Dec 2010 £9.00
Wings of Prey, Darksiders

28 Dec 2010 £4.99
Global Agenda

29 Dec 2010 £7.67
Amnesa: The Dark Descent, Swords and Soldiers HD, Plants vs. Zombies

31 Dec 2010 £4.99
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight

1 Jan 2011 £1.57
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures

Total: 18 Games, 2 Expansions (For FEAR) and 1 DLC for Mafia 2 (Not counting the Indie bundles, which was 11 games at $10 or £6.70ish). Cost: £55.58 ($86.63) or £2.64 per item bought. Not bad all things considered.

filipe said:

You MUST buy it. VVVVVV is a fantastic and amazing piece of software, and I prefer it to SMB.

Ended up with:

Mass Effect 2
AI War + Charity Expansion
Empire/Napoleon Pack
Age of Rome
Children of the Nile
Ion Assault
Lara Croft
Company of Heroes (double dipped)
Bioshock 2
King Arthur

Damages total up about $65, or the price of a new 360 game plus tax. Pretty satisfied.

dani_dc

For anyone wondering if they should buy VVVVVV or not, I recommend you to buy it, but if you're really in doubt about it you should just try the demo here.

Damn, I was hoping for Far Cry and/or Swords and Soldiers HD to come back in the last day :lol

Well those will have to wait until the next sale I suppose.

Still going to pick a few last games before seeing how much the damage was.

With that in mind, could anyone make a case in favour/against this packs:
Indie Future Pack
Indie Brain Pack

Big B

Indie Kids Pack is the best only because of Crayon Physics, which is normally $20, and toki-tori. I hate physics but now I'm obsessed with that game.

Jirotrom

Starwolf_UK said:
Yes, in fact I double dipped (continued PC support with new levels had me interested). There is even a demo. Its similar to chu chu rocket in the sense you place arrows to get stuff from point a to point b so if you liked the puzzle mode of that its a must have. Gets tough too.
you had me at CHU CHU ROCKET

Any replacement for the "ultimate graphics tweak" for Episodes to Liberty City? I don't want to lose the post effects but blurring the whole image is just stupid and looks terrible. Really annoying as both options look nasty.

biocat

Spent $118.69. Seems about average for this kind of sale.
My list includes a few games a hardly remember even buying. :lol

matmanx1

My first Steam sale experience and it's been a total blast to take part in. I can honestly say that I got everything I really wanted with this sale and it's been really fun to pull up steampowered.com on a daily basis to see what new gems would appear. I ended up with 8 full games plus expansions for $80 and enough gaming content to last me for months. Here's the breakdown:

Titan Quest Gold: $4.99
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: $5.10
Mass Effect: $9.99
Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe: $19.99
Crysis Warhead: $4.99
Stalker CoP + SoC: $4.99
Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga: $19.99
Neverwinter Nights II Platinum: $9.99

I'm already knee deep in the first Mass Effect and will likely finish it just in time for my new PC build. After that, I'll pick something off my Steam Library that I'm in the mood for (maybe Warhead to break in the new PC) and go from there. All in all, it's been a fantastic sale for me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Steam:
Hitman Collection $7.47
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle $9.99
SimCity 4 Deluxe, Crysis Complete (NA) $14.98
Serious Sam Gold Pack (US) $3.99
Evil Genius $1.49
Peggle Complete Pack, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, Prince of Persia, Super Meat Boy, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition $29.20
Bob Came in Pieces $2.50 (stupid treasure hunt)
Indie Pulse Pack $4.99
Indie Clever Pack $4.99
Indie Story Pack $4.99
The Deus Ex Collection $4.99

$90

Amazon:
Fallout New Vegas Retail 29.99
Sin and Punishment 2 19.99
Final Fantasy Dissida 9.99
Ys: Oath of Felaria Collectors Edition 24.99 (if i remember right)

$85

90 + 85 = $175

Ouch

PatzCU

Pretty sad I missed BFBC2 for $7 =(

I know this goes on sale all the time though, so next time its $10 or less, I'm picking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom