• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Steam is so cruel to my ADD. I keep snagging games, but then i look at my game list and i have so many options i don't know what to play. And then eventually i lock up and head back to wow :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
gketter said:
Man Steam is so cruel to my ADD. I keep snagging games, but then i look at my game list and i have so many options i don't know what to play. And then eventually i lock up and head back to wow :lol

This for me except i head back to gaf and read all day. I'm doing it now :(

gketter said:

I just reinstalled Windows and I only let myself install a single-player game, a multi-player game, and an arcade game. I'm actually playing them!

Volcynika

Hm, I thiiiiiiiiink I'm done now.

Damage! Gifts and purchases include anything I bought over this period, including Amazon and games not even on sale. Also include anything that I gifted to anyone, and gifts to me include people paying me back for helping them out.

Gifts to others
Amnesa: The Dark Descent - $6.80
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - $2.50
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - $19.99
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam - $14.99
Amnesa: The Dark Descent - $4.80
Escape Rosecliff Island / NightShift Code - $8.73
SSHD Double Pack - $2.99
Killing Floor Bundle - $6.99
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
Back to the Future: The Game - $22.49
Lara Croft GOL - $3.60
Lara Croft GOL - $3.60
Lara Croft GOL - $3.60

TOTAL GIFT COST: $114.43

Purchases for me
Frozenbyte Collection, Everyday Genius: SquareLogic - $7.49
Commandos Pack - $2.99
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures - $2.49
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight - $14.98
Greed Corp - $2.50
King's Bounty: Collection - $8.74
Killing Floor - Outbreak Character Pack, Killing Floor - Nightfall Character Pack, Killing Floor PostMortem Character Pack 2 DLC, Killing Floor - "London's Finest" DLC Character pack - $1.96
Power of Defense, Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum - $12.49
Dragon Age: Origins - The Awakening - $14.99
Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, Borderlands DLC Claptrap, Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned - $14.79
Mafia II Amazon Retail - $12.50
Bully: Scholarship Edition - $3.75
Indie Brain Pack - $4.99
Natural Selection 2 Beta - $34.99
OddBoxx - $12.49

TOTAL PURCHASE COST - $152.14

Gifts received from others
Puzzle Quest 2
Singularity
Swords & Soldiers HD
CivCity: Rome
Rush
Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga
Prince of Persia 2008
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Lego Batman: The Videogame

TOTAL COST - $266.57

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Attackthebase said:
Please add me on Steam, my friend list is somewhat barren: http://steamcommunity.com/id/attackthebase/home

You need to delete the "home" for the link to work.

SteelAttack said:
Which one of the three Broken Sword games is better?

Second one is the best, shortly before the first. (Buy them together, both are the best of the best in the genre), but it wont hurt to skip the 3rd.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SalsaShark said:
I just got Everyday Genius: SquareLogic for no reason at all really :lol

is it good ?

Yes!
Already put 12 hours into it. Really good system if you like some number puzzling. Perfect to fill short gaps.

And insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane amount of puzzles. Seriously NO one is ever going to do them all.

Toma

filipe said:
How do they suck? 'Cause they differ from concerns you may have? Jeeze.
It is indeed a nice quirky game. There is a reason why everyone likes it. However if SMB scratches your platforming itch enough, you can always pick it up later since SMB will have your platforming skills busy for quite a while. The first platformer I already spent 35 hours on. It wont disappear and will resurface in later sales.

Thomper

Bought Everyday Genius: SquareLogic after just reading the recommendations here. Are there any other good/great (number)puzzle games on Steam I should pick up? Anything Picross-like?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The Void is €9 on (euro) Steam at the moment and is also part of the Indie Fright Pack which is just €5. On the American Steam store I believe it's just $5!

The Void is a russian-made dating sim with a starvation element in survival horror trappings. It is one of my favorite games of the forever and I think anyone who likes 'games are art', eastern bloc games or digital art installations should pick this up. Now, this isn't to say that it isn't a proper game for it is very proper. The mechanics are real interesting; you grow and collect color in the world which you use as a resource to keep yourself alive, but in turn also have to use for everything else that you do (attack enemies, plant trees which will in turn grow more color, feed girls, etc.), even staying alive depletes your color, so the entire game has a real strong focus on resource management.

This is Ice-Pick Lodge's second title, their previous being Pathologic which is also an amazing game, but marred by a horrid translation. The Void, surprisingly, features fantastic voice work fully realizing the sense of famish in the characters. The world is also drab and horribly depressing (in that quaint Russian way), so when your trees sprout color it really feels like you managed to pull yourself out of the heroin addled hole the game seems so adamant on pushing you down into.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-FvuzPrgk

If the game sounds interesting (DATING SIM WITH A STARVATION MECHANIC FFS), but you're too much of a wiener twiddler to deal with the difficulty inherent in a russian game there is a fantastic Let's Play on Something Awful that concluded half a year or so ago. I don't know if you can access the thread without a membership, but all the videos are on viddler.

legend166

Anyone remember how I said I'd give myself a budget of $100?

Total haul = $99.46 :D

Super Meat Boy 3.75
PoP 2008 4.99
PoP: Two Thrones 2.49
Bad Company 2 6.49
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom 0.5
Titan Quest Gold 3.74
The Witcher 5
Alpha Protocol 7.5
Fallout: New Vegas 25
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory 5
Dirt 2 5
NFS Hot Pursuit 30

Salsa

Brobzoid said:
The Void is €9 on (euro) Steam at the moment and is also part of the Indie Fright Pack which is just €5. On the American Steam store I believe it's just $5!

The Void is a russian-made dating sim with a starvation element in survival horror trappings. It is one of my favorite games of the forever and I think anyone who likes 'games are art', eastern bloc games or digital art installations should pick this up. Now, this isn't to say that it isn't a proper game for it is very proper. The mechanics are real interesting; you grow and collect color in the world which you use as a resource to keep yourself alive, but in turn also have to use for everything else that you do (attack enemies, plant trees which will in turn grow more color, feed girls, etc.), even staying alive depletes your color, so the entire game has a real strong focus on resource management.

This is Ice-Pick Lodge's second title, their previous being Pathologic which is also an amazing game, but marred by a horrid translation. The Void, surprisingly, features fantastic voice work fully realizing the sense of famish in the characters. The world is also drab and horribly depressing (in that quaint Russian way), so when your trees sprout color it really feels like you managed to pull yourself out of the heroin addled hole the game seems so adamant on pushing you down into.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-FvuzPrgk

If the game sounds interesting (DATING SIM WITH A STARVATION MECHANIC FFS), but you're too much of a wiener twiddler to deal with the difficulty inherent in a russian game there is a fantastic Let's Play on Something Awful that concluded half a year or so ago. I don't know if you can access the thread without a membership, but all the videos are on viddler.

co-signed, The Void is awesome, get the fright pack people.

Toma

Thomper said:
Bought Everyday Genius: SquareLogic after just reading the recommendations here. Are there any other good/great (number)puzzle games on Steam I should pick up? Anything Picross-like?

Actually most of the puzzlers on steam are good. Every single one will have its fanbase. Just pick the ones, where you think you might like the style.

Cogs, Tidalis, Osmos, Quantz, Puzzle Dimension, Chime, Droplitz..

If any of those look interesting to you, just watch a video. If you like what you see, chances are good you'll enjoy it.

Thomper

Toma said:
Actually most of the puzzlers on steam are good. Every single one will have its fanbase. Just pick the ones, where you think you might like the style.

Cogs, Tidalis, Osmos, Quantz, Puzzle Dimension, Chime, Droplitz..

If any of those look interesting to you, just watch a video. If you like what you see, chances are good you'll enjoy it.
I think I might have almost all of those already. Curse you, previous Steam sales. :lol Except for Puzzle Dimension, so I'll give that one a look.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Okay, now that the daily sales are over, my damage for this sale:

Deus Ex Collection
Mass Effect 2
Darksiders
Shattered Union
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
Killing Floor + all DLC bundle
Serious Sam HD Double Pack
Crysis Complete

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
CivCity: Rome
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete
Mafia II
Civilization IV Complete
Painkiller: Black Edition

All those in italics were either gifted or bought using the kind donations of UK Mafia II gift recipients, for which I humbly thank all those concerned.

All that for £42.92. Excellent haul. Might go for Joe's Adventure DLC later, but that's it for now.
Now updated. Again, my humble thanks to all those who made the last three purchases possible. I couldn't have done it without you guys! :D

Dambrosi said:
Now updated. Again, my humble thanks to all those who made the last three purchases possible. I couldn't have done it without you guys! :D
BROMANGO

zikaxy9n3b.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SalsaShark said:
co-signed, The Void is awesome, get the fright pack people.
Why? I heard everything else is basically shit in it(Outside of The Path and Void). I rather wait for a 5$ for just Void.

rObit

Banned
Final count:

Fallout: New Vegas
VVVVVV
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Indie Fright Pack

Just under $50, 30 of that going to New Vegas so I'm definitely happy with that. I've never made a 50 dollar gift card go so far.

wsippel

Banned
Bought ME2 a couple of days ago, finished it, loved it - why the fuck isn't the DLC on Steam!? I've tried to buy it from the Bioware store, which tells me that I need Bioware points (WTF!?), so I bought 800 Bioware points from the EA Store. Later, I noticed that Bioware points are much more expensive on the EA store - makes no sense at all, but 800 points on the EA store are €9.99, on the Bioware website it's €6,97. Why?`I have no fucking idea. Well, too late for regrets - or is it? Hours later, the EA store didn't even send me a fucking confirmation email, and I still don't have the points. The EA ToS say that I can cancel any unprocessed order by clicking "Cancel" in the order history. The order is shown in the history, it's unprocessed, but there is no cancel button. I have no idea what the fuck is going on...

Long story short: If you want to do digital distribution, do it like Valve. EA, I'm looking at you. Your system makes no sense, is borderline retarded, and highly inconvenient. There's no explanation for anything, the guides don't help, customer support is a joke, and it's cumbersome and not satisfying at all.

• The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
  • Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Machinarium
  • Sim City Deluxe
  • King's Bounty Collection
  • Children of the Nile Complete Pack
  • Indie Smarts Pack
  • Indie Kids Pack
  • Everyday Genius: Square Logic
  • Freedom Pack
  • Port Royale 2
  • Tropico Reloaded
  • Broken Sword: Director's Cut
  • Jedi Knight Bundle
Got gifted:
  • Hitman Collection
  • CivCity Rome

Total: 48.91

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
My Final Steam Sale Buys (With HB1 And HB2)
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity | $2.50
Arcadia | $1.70
Battlefield 2: Complete Collection | $5.00
Battlefield: Bad Comapny 2 | $6.80
Bully: Scholarship Edition | $3.99
Crysis: Maximum Edition | $4.99
Deus Ex Collection | $2.99
DOOM Complete Pack | $8.74
FarCry 2: Fortune's Edition | $4.99
FEAR Complete Pack | $9.99
Half-Life 1 Anthology | $2.24
Humble Indie Bundle 1 | $5.00
Humble Indie Bundle 2 | $5.00
IL2 Sturmvok: Complete Pack | $4.99
Indie Beat Pack | $4.99
Left 4 Dead 2 | $6.79
Mass Effect 2 | $9.99
Mirror's Edge | $4.99
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum Edition | $9.99
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom | $0.49
Plants vs. Zombies: GOTY Edition | $4.00
The Quake Collection | $10.50
Rush | $1.69
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition | $3.99
SIM CITY 4 | $4.99
Shatter | $2.50
STALKER Complete | $4.99
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Collection | $5.00
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic | $2.99
Super Meat Boy | $3.75
Torchlight | $4.99
VVVVVV | $2.49
The Witcher Enhanced Edition | $5.00
Total Buys | $163.04

Gifted To Others
Half-Life 1 Anthology (SilverLunar) | $2.24
Half-Life 1 Anthology (Jibril) | $2.24
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (Chapel) | $0.49
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (Jibril) | $0.49
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (SnakeXs) | $0.49
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (Tokubetsu) | $0.49
Plants vs. Zombies: GOTY Edition (Wenis) | $4.00
Super Meat Boy (Jibril) | $3.49
Wings of Prey (Tokubetsu) | $5.99
Total Gifted | $19.92

Gifted To Me
Uplink (Jibril!)

Final Steam Sale Cost: $182.96
Steam Calculator: $947.29

Games I Hate I Didn't Cart
Batman: Arkham Asylum | $7.50
Colin McRAE DIRT2 | $4.99
Dead Space | $6.80
Devil May Cry 4 | $4.99
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: GOTY Edition | $9.99
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Pack | $9.99
Just Cause 2 | $7.50
Kane & Lynch 2 | $4.99

Overall, pretty good sale that I was prepared for this time. ^_^

Brobzoid

shintoki said:
Why? I heard everything else is basically shit in it(Outside of The Path). I rather wait for a 5$ for just Void.
I think the void is $5 already? I don't have american steam, but steamprices.com said so earlier I believe.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Brobzoid said:
I think the void is $5 already? I don't have american steam, but steamprices.com said so earlier I believe.
Showing 9.99, the 4.99 is through the Fright pack.

It's the same deal I have with Recettear and Gratitious Space Battles. I want both and 5$ is perfect price. But I rather just give 5$ for the one game, than get 4 others. Both because it's for the developer I want to support and I don't really need extra filler.

dani_dc

For anyone that hasn't heard of VVVVVV or are in doubt I recommend you try the demo.

No opinions on this one?
-indie future pack(hacker evolution, hammerfight, system protocol one, twin sector, uplink)

-indie brain pack(big brain wolf, diamond dan, puzzle pots, zen bound 2)

Brobzoid

shintoki said:
Showing 9.99, the 4.99 is through the Fright pack.

It's the same deal I have with Recettear and Gratitious Space Battles. I want both and 5$ is perfect price. But I rather just give 5$ for the one game, than get 4 others. Both because it's for the developer I want to support and I don't really need extra filler.
whats ur steam name?

dream

Brobzoid's explanation of what The Void is confused me so much that I just flatout bought the Fright Pack to see this shit for myself.

filipe

Fuck it, bought the Indie 2D Pack with VVVVVV in it. I tried the demo linked here, and enjoyed it enough, and the other games look fun enough. Last purchase of the sale. $45 bucks. Nice.

gketter said:

I do this too :(

Randomization can be extremely helpful. Categories, too.

Orrrrr you could be like me and come up with an absurd set of excessively convoluted rules to determine what to play. :p

Salsa

Alright so the weirdest fuckin shit just happened

I bought the everyday genius game and thought to myself: "hey i didnt have 1 dollar left yesterday.. wtf", so i tried to buy Dark Void Zero wich i had my eye on for a while.. and to my surprise, i could.

Alright what the fuck.

Went on and tried to buy Tomb Raider Anniversary, and i could.

So i kinda freaked out that i was going to get some kind of debt on my CC or something, so i logged out of Steam and Logged in again, and now i cant buy anything, as if all was back to normal. Thing is that i still have the games i bought. wat.

I mean i guess i got a refund for something ? i had a package in the mail but that thing's shipped, i doubt i could get a refund at this point..

SalsaShark said:
Alright so the weirdest fuckin shit just happened

I bought the everyday genius game and thought to myself: "hey i didnt have 1 dollar left yesterday.. wtf", so i tried to buy Dark Void Zero wich i had my eye on for a while.. and to my surprise, i could.

Alright what the fuck.

Went on and tried to buy Tomb Raider Anniversary, and i could.

So i kinda freaked out that i was going to get some kind of debt on my CC or something, so i logged out of Steam and Logged in again, and now i cant buy anything, as if all was back to normal. Thing is that i still have the games i bought. wat.

I mean i guess i got a refund for something ? i had a package in the mail but that thing's shipped, i doubt i could get a refund at this point..
You just got upgraded to Steam Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom