• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

SolarPowered said:
A DRM that requires a constant internet connection for the PoP games that I was just about to buy...

that fucking sucks

1-D_FTW said:
Which are you talking about? The pretty one where you can't die? That was completely DRM free at release. UBI didn't go back and add stuff, did they?

No, no, no: It's not every PoP game that uses UBI DRM. It's only PoP: Forgotten Sands that uses it. All of the other PoP games are fine and normal. Lovingsteam didn't word his post correctly.

Yasae

Banned
McNum said:
Mass Effect 2, 25% off. Tempting, but... EA just teased ME3, so this one is pretty much a sure thing for a daily sale. I'm thinking we'll see a 50% for that one some time this week. Or a DLC sale, maybe.
Gamersgate has Mass Effect 2 Deluxe Edition on sale for just under $16: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ME2DDE/mass-effect-2-digital-deluxe-edition

The daily sale might go cheaper, but if it doesn't this could be a nice fallback price. It's good all week, too.

Bigfoot

SolarPowered said:
A DRM that requires a constant internet connection for the PoP games that I was just about to buy...

that fucking sucks
I think that is only for the newest PoP game. I'm pretty sure the older ones don't have this DRM.

Edit: Nevermind... beaten!

Lime said:
No, no, no: It's not every PoP game that uses UBI DRM. It's only PoP: Forgotten Sands that uses it. All of the other PoP games are fine and normal. Lovingsteam didn't word his post correctly.
This is great to hear. I'll just get sands of time, the two thrones and warrior within instead.

thanks

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Speaking of PoP: Sands of Time, Two Thrones, or Warrior Within. Which is best? Haven't jumped on the franchise yet, figure a cheap one is a good starting point.

Bigfoot

Charron said:
Speaking of PoP: Sands of Time, Two Thrones, or Warrior Within. Which is best? Haven't jumped on the franchise yet, figure a cheap one is a good starting point.
Go with Sands of Time... it is the first one but the one I liked the most.

Peff

Charron said:

Sands of Time>The Two Thrones>Warrior Within, although even that one is pretty good as long as you don't have any of the multiple game-ending bugs. The Forgotten Sands is also nice, it has some fantastic platforming, and Prince of Persia is a bit too easy but it's worth a try, you may end up really liking it. Very beautiful, too.

My cousin confirmed that he would get me the THQ pack instead of CoD:BLOPS. I'll get a nice return on my Wii eventually too.

I also got the prince of persia games(first three) and BF2!

BearFoo

Neo Member
well, nothing for me today.

I was hoping for a few more adventure games to be on sale (other than Nancy drew & Sherlock), maybe tomorrow. I may end up getting the Sherlock v jack the ripper, as it one of few I don't own.

Winterbottom
$0.49

Indie 2D Pack
$4.99

Battlefield Bad Company 2
$6.79

Total:
$12.27

I will not, I will not, I will not spend more than $50 total this sale

McNum

Yasae said:
Gamersgate has Mass Effect 2 Deluxe Edition on sale for just under $16: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ME2DDE/mass-effect-2-digital-deluxe-edition

The daily sale might go cheaper, but if it doesn't this could be a nice fallback price. It's good all week, too.
I'm going to need a European version, though. Will the Steam version pick up my ME1 save? So many half-done sidequests... Should really make a ME2 ready playthrough instead.

Joe Molotov

After talking about only spending $70~ last year, I've already spent more than $170 this year on the first day. All aboard the failboat, toot toot!

Shafto

Well, so far, i've:

Double-dipped on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - £6.79
P.B. Winterbottom - £0.39 (Amazing!)

and something I haven't seen mentioned:

Blueberry Garden - £0.79 http://store.steampowered.com/app/29160/

So that's a Day One total of £7.97. Which is about what I'd pay for a decent lunch.

Steam is the greatest enabler of video game addiction i've ever been fortunate enough to lay eyes on. Feed my habit Gabe.

nexen

Wait, wait, wait ... all this adrenaline has given me the attention span of a gnat.
Do the original 3 PoP games have decent gamepad support or not?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, I bought so much (and so many gifts for other people) that my credit card company put my card on hold because it thought it was stolen.

I should have taken that as a sign to stop, but I guess I'll just fuck up the other cards I have, too.

Bring on day two!

Joe Molotov

nexen said:
Wait, wait, wait ... all this adrenaline has given me the attention span of a gnat.
Do the original 3 PoP games have decent gamepad support or not?

They have shite pad support, you have to use Xpadder and hope for the best.

Popeofchilitown

Neo Member
Just bought Super Meat Boy because it's on a lot of people's game of the year list. Don't have a gamepad but maybe i'll try to use street fighter 4 stick :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's sad that the Bethesda pack doesn't make sense for me, since I have the GOTY Oblivion and Morrowind, and don't want Rogue Warrior anywhere near my games list.

Does anyone know about the Runaway games? They're super cheap, is the first the best, or did it get better as it went along?

stuminus3

Dacvak said:
Well, I bought so much (and so many gifts for other people) that my credit card company put my card on hold because it thought it was stolen.

I should have taken that as a sign to stop, but I guess I'll just fuck up the other cards I have, too.

Bring on day two!
This has happened to me before, it's equal part amusing and frustrating. It's the reason I love the Steam wallet, I dump a lump sum in the account so the credit card company doesn't go nuts at all the little charges.

Might be worth putting a warning about this in the OP!

LOZLINK

Can anyone help me out and gift me bfbc2 and I'll paypal you money? Aus prices are higher. Hope this isn't breaking the rules of the thread, if so, I'll gladly edit it out

mattiewheels said:
It's sad that the Bethesda pack doesn't make sense for me, since I have the GOTY Oblivion and Morrowind, and don't want Rogue Warrior anywhere near my games list.

Does anyone know about the Runaway games? They're super cheap, is the first the best, or did it get better as it went along?
I had completely missed that pack until about five minutes ago. I WANT IT BAD, but the other four packs are already too tempting and way too good on a price per game basis.

I'll probably buy both GOTY versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 later on next year.

Joe Molotov

mattiewheels said:

They're both decent but not great point-and-click adventure games. The first games is probably the best because you get to hang out with some drag queens and their desert van, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert style. :D

Bigfoot

Joe Molotov said:
I keep reading conflicting reports of this. Some say it works great with the 360 controller after initial set-up of binding keys to buttons. I've seen this in this thread and in the Steam forums. I'm not sure how other gamepads work.

I bought Sands of Time and have a Wireless 360/PC controller so I'll find out myself in a few hours when I get home.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RedSwirl said:
The Jedi Knight games are on the low, what do I need guys?

I personally enjoyed Jedi Academy. Best lightsaber combat in any game and the force powers are satisfying. So worth $5, I'll have to get it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Joe Molotov said:
Has Xpadder gotten any better since? I haven't used it for a year, and if you add more than one 360 controller at a time the entire program goes to shits. =/

kuYuri

Quick question, does F.E.A.R. natively support widescreen resolutions, specifically 1920x1080?

At that price, I'm definitely getting that (played it and the expansions first on 360) and F.E.A.R. 2 Reborn DLC, I already own F.E.A.R. 2.

Grayman

RedSwirl said:
The Jedi Knight games are on the low, what do I need guys?
I would get the whole pack. I played Academy this year. The single player was not as fun as I remember Outcast but it has more sabre styles and gets into jedi ass kicking faster. May as well get Dark Forces as well. The only downside to dark forces is that there is not a modern engine for it like DOOM and Duke3D.

Coverly said:
Super Meat Boy
Music Indie Pack
Titan's Quest x 2 to play with my wife

Those sales, wow. Talk about starting out strong!
I was thinking about buying this until I saw that it's in the THQ pack that I'll be getting in a couple of days.

Thank god for those notifications.:lol

Dacvak said:

Bring on day two!
my hero <3

I was wondering about what people think of the other games in the 2d Pack, very tempted as I want to get Geometry Wars and VVVVV. Was tempted to dip on the previous Titan Quest deals, but now there is no excuse not to :D. Looking forward to play with my girlfriend

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I7ZKf.png

What the fuck is this shit!?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Joe Molotov said:
They're both decent but not great point-and-click adventure games. The first games is probably the best because you get to hang out with some drag queens and their desert van, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert style. :D
I heard things about those games, guess I'll have to check that first Runaway out then :lol

Also, am I weird for just buying FEAR 1 for $2.50 rather than getting both? What I played of the second left me kinda cold, someone love it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom