• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

Wow, looking like a big day for me.

All 6 Prince of Persia's: $17.50
FEAR: $2.50
Oddbox: $12.50 (I already have the first two, but it's the same price buying just them or the whole box, wish I could gift...)

Total: $32.50. That's a lot to spend on the first day...

I <3 Memes said:
For today or for the sale? Hate to see a man beaten on Day 1.

For the sale. Most of the games on my wish list are the big titles. Some of them were even part of the current daily deal and the price different wasn't enough for me to take the plunge.

Bought Trine and POP: Sands of Time. Would have bought the F.E.A.R pack if it weren't an extra $6.79 for the privelege of sending the megabytes to Australia.

I refuse to support that shit.

Also hoping for a Telltale complete pack. Was it a daily deal last year?

Ledsen said:
I'm not buying anything that's no a daily deal until the last day.
Thats my plan too
Like Yosumin and the other things I'm interested in are going to be daily deals...last day is going to wallet and cry...and bandwidth too :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Feep said:
GAF!

I have never played the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, or the newer remake, which looked absolutely beautiful to me.

WHICH SHOULD I BUY
Prince of Persia isn't a remake of Sands of Time.

They are completely different.

MoFuzz

I've never used the Steam wallet before, is it possible to add funds from a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard gift card?

coopolon

Sinatar said:
Sands of Time doesn't have proper gamepad support and sucks ass with m/kb. You can get it working with Xpadder and the like but it's still a PITA. Haven't tried Forgotten Sands yet though.

Edit:
Oops, I'm wrong, when reading farther into the thread I linked too on GOG, there were problems.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
So...I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I hope someone can. I got Prince of Persia sands of time from GOG awhile back, and it never worked on either of my computers. Does anyone know if GOG emulation is just really shoddy? Would the Steam version work? It's only $2.50, so I think it would be worth it. Also, how about the Two Thrones? Is that game any good?

edit: to the guy above me: no, that menu does not work for some reason.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just got Titan Quest Gold and Bad Company 2...

Come on Civ 5 and Dragon Age Ultimate!

Would love those Paradox games to come down in price even more as well!

Ledsen

Starwolf_UK said:
Steam n00b here. Is the Steam Store normally this bad? I have to say my first impressions have been bad, frankly, awful and making me wonder why everyone worships it. Firstly when making the account anything you typed into the field was taken. Search around its a known bug, do it through the client, it works (even if the client takes 2 years to boot up).

So time to actually get myself Super Meat Boy and The Deus Ex collection* for £4.49. I get to the end and "An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.". Let me guess I have to do that through the Client too...why even have a website accessible through a browser if it refuses to work?

*-Just these 2 for now. I'm sure I'll become a hopeless steam addict clicking on every sale in no time.
Bububut I only buy things in the sales...you still spent $300 and you say its a sale

Judging the Steam Store by the performance on the first day of the christmas sale is like judging an electronics chain by going there when they open the doors on Black Friday. Normally it's perfect.

cornontheCoD said:
So...I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I hope someone can. I got Prince of Persia sands of time from GOG awhile back, and it never worked on either of my computers. Does anyone know if GOG emulation is just really shoddy? Would the Steam version work? It's only $2.50, so I think it would be worth it. Also, how about the Two Thrones? Is that game any good?

Usually GOG games, especially old ones, have the best compatability of any service, but PoP probably doesn't run on any sort of emulation so the Steam version is most likely identical to the GOG one.

-Rogue5-

Crap... I just f**ked up... I bought Dragon Age at 25% off, when it'll probably be 50% off tomorrow or something. I'm guessing there's no "bought this 12 hours ago, and now it's 25% cheaper" support page, is there?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ledsen said:
Judging the Steam Store by the performance on the first day of the christmas sale is like judging an electronics chain by going there when they open the doors on Black Friday. Normally it's perfect.
This comparison is entirely apt. Seriously, Steam is normally about twenty times better then this.

• The Oddbox
• Super Meat Boy
• PB Winterbottom
-------------------------
$16.74

Bought the Oddbox purely for Stranger's Wrath. Double dipped on SMB as I already have the '360 version. I've never had any interest in PB, but for $0.50, why the hell not?! :lol

The only games I really want for the remainder of the sale are Civ 5 & Bloodlines. If Bloodlines doesn't get discounted during this sale, Frak it. I'll buy at $20. But I can stand waiting a while on Civ 5 if I don't see at my magic price, $25.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
-Rogue5- said:
Crap... I just f**ked up... I bought Dragon Age at 25% off, when it'll probably be 50% off tomorrow or something. I'm guessing there's no "bought this 12 hours ago, and now it's 25% cheaper" support page, is there?

Wait till daily sales man, DAILY SALES! You're fucked.

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've never had any interest in PB, but for $0.50, why the hell not?! :lol

Same lol

Feep said:
GAF!

I have never played the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, or the newer remake, which looked absolutely beautiful to me.

WHICH SHOULD I BUY

Sands of Time. It's a classic. The new game does look great, but it gets pretty tedious.

Minsc

Gold Member
cornontheCoD said:

Must just be something with your PC, all PoP titles from GOG run at a v-sync'd 60fps for me.

Edit: Just checked, gamepad controls are there, and it runs native windows, no emulation, at 1600x1200, looks great.

legend166

For me today:

Super Meat Boy
PoP 2008
PoP: Two Thrones
Bad Company 2
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Titan Quest Gold

$22.

Awesome.

Minamu

Ordered the wired 360 pad yesterday and now this SMB sale? :D So good. Managed to haxx my way into my ISP email account and got my steam account back on track so I can finally spend some student loan money!! :lol

bm1616

I don't know what's worse, not having a computer to play most of the games, or having the idea that I should buy them now while they're cheap so I can play them in the future...

Made it out of day 1 pretty easy
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
P.B. Winterbottom - $0.49
Shattered Union - $0.49

Total - $4.73

I was going to buy the Oddbox, but then I checked out the user forum. Seems like they did absolutely nothing to ensure the game ran well on modern systems, people with really good machines can't run the game with a stable framerate. The options for settings are pretty barebones, without the ability to tweak things like mouse sensitivity or even play in widescreen.

You had my money at Oddbox, but then you lost it because you're criminally lazy Oddworld Inhabitants. Will wait until the package is fixed, either by the devs or community before I buy.

scaffa

Thread slowed down a bit so lets try this again :D

Anyone willing to help me get Battlefield BC2?. Willing to pay a little bit extra of course.

I want to double dip and get my brother also a copy so I actually need 2 if that's possible.

What kind of DRM do the Prince of Persia games have?

I'm have a weak understanding of what DRM is, but I'm wondering what kind of DRM the PoP games would contain.

SolarPowered said:
What kind of DRM do the Prince of Persia games have?

I'm have a weak understanding of what it is, but I'm wondering what kind of DRM the PoP games would contain.

It uses the Ubisoft DRM which requires a constant connection to the internet. Most folks including myself hate the idea of it but for those who have bought games that use it, many have said it isn't an issue as long as you have a solid connection.

jaundicejuice said:
I was going to buy the Oddbox, but then I checked out the user forum. Seems like they did absolutely nothing to ensure the game ran well on modern systems, people with really good machines can't run the game with a stable framerate. The options for settings are pretty barebones, without the ability to tweak things like mouse sensitivity or even play in widescreen.

You had my money at Oddbox, but then you lost it because you're criminally lazy Oddworld Inhabitants. Will wait until the package is fixed, either by the devs or community before I buy.
Ruh roh.

Anyone else having issues with the Oddbox? I'm at work so I won't be able to test the games on my M11x until tonight.

LovingSteam said:
It uses the Ubisoft DRM which requires a constant connection to the internet.
A DRM that requires a constant internet connection for the PoP games that I was just about to buy...

that fucking sucks

Sorry if it sounds like a noob question, but how do you add money to your account? I don't see the option for it.

I think i might get that super indie pack and titan quest, is Titan Quest good? need feedback on it.

Though i want that Potato Pack or whatever it is called :d

1-D_FTW

Fuck. I forgot BF uses shity Punkbuster. My computer was hard locking coming out of sleep and I isolated to a couple possible culprits. PB from the BC2 beta was one of them. Never had the issue again after deleting it. I hope I was wrong about it.

SolarPowered said:
A DRM that requires a constant internet connection for the PoP games that I was just about to buy...

that fucking sucks

Which are you talking about? The pretty one where you can't die? That was completely DRM free at release. UBI didn't go back and add stuff, did they?

McNum

Mass Effect 2, 25% off. Tempting, but... EA just teased ME3, so this one is pretty much a sure thing for a daily sale. I'm thinking we'll see a 50% for that one some time this week. Or a DLC sale, maybe.

Minsc

Gold Member
coopolon said:
Have you tried using a gamepad?

I just tried w/ my 360 wireless and it worked perfectly. I had to manually setup the gamepad's buttons in the game's options, but it only took like 1 minute (mostly to figure out I had to double click the item to get it to take my input I was trying to assign to the item)!

Minamu

Asked in the SMB thread but might as well ask here too.

Myself said:
Steam won't launch the game. I think I had the same problems when I bought Cryostasis. I just get the preparing to launch SMB window and then nothing. My avatar goes green for 2 seconds, then blue again. What do I do to fix it? :)

legend166

LovingSteam said:
It uses the Ubisoft DRM which requires a constant connection to the internet. Most folks including myself hate the idea of it but for those who have bought games that use it, many have said it isn't an issue as long as you have a solid connection.

That's only the latest PoP game, right?

SilverLunar said:
Sorry if it sounds like a noob question, but how do you add money to your account? I don't see the option for it.

I think i might get that super indie pack and titan quest, is Titan Quest good? need feedback on it.

Though i want that Potato Pack or whatever it is called :d

1)Log into the client
2)Click on '.... account' at the top right corner of the page
3)Click 'add funds to Steam wallet'

legend166 said:
That's only the latest PoP game, right?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom