• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

oh god, i wake up to this.

GAF:

1) do i want penumbra: black plague gold, or overture? or the collector's?

2) anyone play Winter Voices? shit's on the cheap right now, but it seems you cant play them by single episodes, not sure if its worth $7.50

3) ok, i was only mildly curious about P.B. Winterbottom, but fiddy cents its hard to not give it a go. any other dirt cheap titles you guys recommend?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Going to set myself a $50 limit like others. $19.22 for today, Not looking so good for me.

Really hoping for Chaos Rising to hit a good sale.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yeah. It's in the OP.
Pretty sure i read the OP but there are too much sales :lol

So far i only got Super Meat Boy.

looking at Titan Quest and the Indie 2D pack, though not sure about the quality of them.

Shambles

Coverly said:
Super Meat Boy
Music Indie Pack
Titan's Quest x 2 to play with my wife

Those sales, wow. Talk about starting out strong!

I'm assuming this game has good multiplayer functionality? The last game the woman and I played together was Sacred 2 which had a pretty wonky online setup for NA players. Your post has me interested in Titan Quest as a possible 'couples game'. Anyone else use it for this?

Insured

I thought I wouldn't be instantly tempted to buy tons of shit since I own mostly all I'm interested in... So I thought, anyway. Deus ex collection, Oddboxx for me today (I actually bought munch and stranger's wrath separately since I owned the abe games from before, saved ONE CENT! SO WORTH IT). Also decided to pick up the Magic expansions since I picked the game up from the treasure hunt and loved it... I really, really doubt these will be going any lower.

Right now from the looks of it, I'll only be buying telltale stuff if sam & max season 3 or wallace and gromit go on sale cheapcheapcheap, and if the Indie Fright Pack goes on a daily deal. That's about it though, I've ALMOST won steam!

Toma said:
Toki Tori got heartily recommended to me, but if you want HL2:E2 really bad... then go for it dude.
And besides TT is 1 Euro/Dollar..
Hm, that isn't really helpful... I guess I could just buy both as long as I limit myself to just those...

Loxley

Day One:
$22.49

- Team Fortress 2 - $9.99 - Likely will go cheaper at some point, but hey, whatever.
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - $7.49 - Played the demo waayyy back when, really enjoyed it but never picked up the full version, gonna dive right into it once it finishes downloading.
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $4.99 - Been wanting to check this out for a while.

I'm hoping for a Metro 2033 deal of the day, as well as a CoD4 price drop at some point.

kamspy

Bebpo said:
But everyone says the SP sucks!

I don't play multiplayer much at all :(

It doesn't suck, it's just not as good as Modern Warfare.

For $6 I wouldn't hesitate even if I wasn't going to play online. Blowing stuff up is fun.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
FUUUUUU! Forgot about Forgotten Sands, bankrupt total. :(

I wish I could have forgotten. I bought it and it's horrible. I think it's going to be the first time I push for a refund. Oh, the DRM works fine. It's the game that sucks. Avoid at all costs.

Shaneus

Loxley said:
Day One:
$22.49

- Team Fortress 2 - $9.99 - Likely will go cheaper at some point, but hey, whatever.
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - $7.49 - Played the demo waayyy back when, really enjoyed it but never picked up the full version, gonna dive right into it once it finishes downloading.
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $4.99 - Been wanting to check this out for a while.

I'm hoping for a Metro 2033 deal of the day, as well as a CoD4 price drop at some point.
Fuck, Anniversary is cheap too? FUCK.
Edit: I don't think it's a DotD so I can miss it... for now.

I remember the OddWorld game loooong ago on the PS, though i only have vague memories on them.

So how about them, are they great as i remember, or is it just vague nostalgia? which of the pack games are worth getting/not worth it??

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As a mac user nothing is jumping out at me yet. Eets is $2.50 and is a no-brainer at that price, but ima wait and see if its a daily. The indie brain pack also looks nice, although one of the five is win-only.

Deathspank's anemic ~30& discount pretty much guarantees it will be a daily, as well.

Beyond that, not much for a mac user to get excited about. Especially because I already own probably ~20% of *all* of Steam's mac games. :lol

Actually, some of the best deals are casual titles from Playfirst - stuff like Hotel Dash, Parking Dash, DinerTown Tycoon, etc. These aren't AAA games by any means, but they have a lot of gameplay, and can actually be pretty "hardcore" when someone goes for expert scores. My wife and I both like them.

They've been sold for $7 on Steam from the beginning, which has always been a *bit* too much. But now they're on sale for $1.75. $1.75! I know casual games aren't "exciting" but I'm probably going to end up buying ~10 of these in this sale and get more enjoyment out of them than almost anything else.

That is a TON of gameplay for under $2.

V_Ben

Banned
Hmm. There's a small price discrepancy for the US and UK versions of the Oddboxx. UK ends up paying roughly £1.50 more, which is kinda odd (HA.) :p

ghst

thanks for the laugh
IrishNinja said:
oh god, i wake up to this.

GAF:

1) do i want penumbra: black plague gold, or overture? or the collector's?
get the collector's pack, overture and black plague are essentially two chapters to one story.

.nimrod

Bebpo said:
Was going to buy BC2 but I figure there will be a BC2+Vietnam pack a year from now for the same price, so I'll wait.

Bebpo said:
But everyone says the SP sucks!

I don't play multiplayer much at all :(
The Vietnam addon is multiplayer only, no need to wait for it to drop if you're not interested in mp at all.

The singleplayer is alright, i liked it quite a bit. Just don't expect anything fancy like the COD games

-Rogue5- said:
Crap... I just f**ked up... I bought Dragon Age at 25% off, when it'll probably be 50% off tomorrow or something. I'm guessing there's no "bought this 12 hours ago, and now it's 25% cheaper" support page, is there?

what guarantee is there that it will be?

LovingSteam said:
ygzkh3gwy.jpg

So does anyone know how to remove shortcuts for Steam games on the sidebar? I just got the Civ IV pack, but the game and a few of the expansions are duplicated. One of each can be installed, but the other says the game is "not available on your current platform."

kamspy

Kilgore Trout said:
So does anyone know how to remove shortcuts for Steam games on the sidebar? I just got the Civ IV pack, but the game and a few of the expansions are duplicated. One of each can be installed, but the other says the game is "not available on your current platform."

It's because of Steve Jobs.

Kilgore Trout said:

They're the Mac versions, it's an annoying bug. The best way to deal with it is select "Installed" in the show menu at the top of the bar.

vocab

Kilgore Trout said:

There's nothing you can do. Deal with it.

RedSwirl

So I'm buying Stranger's Wrath in preparation for the probable HD patch and waiting for daily deals on DeahtSpank and Dragon Age Awakening.

Geoff9920

Man, really disappointed in Oddworld: strangers wraith right now. Main menu garbled text aside, it looks like a poorly emulated console game. I can't even select a real resolution... low, medium, high, & ultra are the only choices. o_O

At the moment it's not worth the $7.50 sale price let alone the $15 normal price. And this is coming from someone who has played and enjoyed the Xbox version.

Mrbob

Do we know the deal as to why EA tends to shun Steam at times? Dragon Age Ultimate Edition had been on sale for $24.99 on Impulse yet EA only drops it to $37.49 on Steam. Oh well EA just hurting themselves by having less people buy their products.

Cardigan

Shit, this sale really makes me want to get back into PC gaming. Bought Super Meat Boy although I already have it on XBLA and my main computer is a Mac. Hopefully the Mac version will be released on Steam eventually.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fallout 3 GOTY $20
FEAR Pack $10
SMB $3.50

Not bad for day 1! Made the mistake of buying Fallout 3 and never getting the DLC, so now I should be able to use all the mods properly and give it a serious go!

F1 2010 will be under $5 at some point, I'll wait till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom