• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Bought Titan Quest Gold for $4.99. I actually already own this through another download service but I wanted it in my Steam Collection so I can get it whenever I want it. The other service only gives you 3 D/L's and activations and then requires you to email them for any additional operations. Steam has me completely spoiled and it was worth the $5 to not have to put up with that hassle.

I'm still waiting on Crysis: Warhead and The Dragon Knight Saga (Ego Dragonis) to see if they get included in any of the daily deals.

RedSwirl

Geoff9920 said:
Man, really disappointed in Oddworld: strangers wraith right now. Main menu garbled text aside, it looks like a poorly emulated console game. I can't even select a real resolution... low, medium, high, & ultra are the only choices. o_O

At the moment it's not worth the $7.50 sale price let alone the $15 normal price. And this is coming from someone who has played and enjoyed the Xbox version.

Over in the Oddbox thread they're saying that when the HD version comes out on PS3 they'll patch those assets and everything back into the PC version.

BigAT

After the final day of the sale, everyone should post what they've spent during the sale. I would love to see someone calculate what GAF's total expenditure was, it's got to be an absurd figure.

Lothars

jeffpm said:
Shit, this sale really makes me want to get back into PC gaming. Bought Super Meat Boy although I already have it on XBLA and my main computer is a Mac. Hopefully the Mac version will be released on Steam eventually.

I believe it will be in the new year.

mm04

That's a fantastic price for BFBC2. It's a completely different experience than MW2, which is not my cup of tea at all. I'd liken it more to Warhawk on PS3, than anything else. So I think you'd enjoy it if you liked Warhawk.

My lone purchase of the day is Super Meat Boy for myself and a gifted copy for my nephew. I'm hoping to see a daily of Batman: AA GOTY edition before this sale ends.

Grayman

Forkball said:
Still snooping around before I buy anything. I will probably pick up BC2, SMB, and Winterbottom for right now. But damn, The Witcher isn't on sale AT ALL. You'd think they'd put it on sale to get more fans before the second one hits.
if it is not on sale at all it may be a deal of the day during the sale. I think they did that with Fallout 3 last year.

IrishNinja

ghst said:
get the collector's pack, overture and black plague are essentially two chapters to one story.

ah, just what i was looking for - thanks ghst, you're awesome.

still wondering if Winter Voices (still dont get why it cant be played by episode) is worth $7.50 for the whole thing, i know its not mad popular but if anyone's played it & has input, please lemme know!

Geoff9920

RedSwirl said:
Over in the Oddbox thread they're saying that when the HD version comes out on PS3 they'll patch those assets and everything back into the PC version.
Right now I'd just like the game to actually render at a 1080p resolution with the original assets and a readable main menu.

Unrelated: God damn Super Meat Boy is worth every penny.

Corto

disappeared said:
Is it likely Morrowind will drop below $15, or is now a good enough time to pick it up?

That deal will last to the end of the sale. So the most advisable thing to do would be to wait and see.

Loxley

BigAT said:
After the final day of the sale, everyone should post what they've spent during the sale. I would love to see someone calculate what GAF's total expenditure was, it's got to be an absurd figure.

That's what usually happens every year, and yeah, some people spend absurd amounts of cash :D Last year I think I came out with just over $130 total spent by the end of the sale...this year I intend to make zero impulse purchases, which kind of screwed me over last year.

Mrbob said:
Do we know the deal as to why EA tends to shun Steam at times? Dragon Age Ultimate Edition had been on sale for $24.99 on Impulse yet EA only drops it to $37.49 on Steam. Oh well EA just hurting themselves by having less people buy their products.

EA has had great deals during past winter sales and certainly will again this year. Crysis complete pack for $13.50, Dead Space and Mirrors Edge were either $5 or $10 last year. Just wait for the deal of the day sales.

Ettie

Settlers VII is 25% off today. Has that been posted? I'm going to wait on it, methinks. Hoping for a 75% or something close.

Red

Gaogaogao said:
sell some crap and buy that game, dammit.
Would you like to buy my crap? :lol

I'd love to partake in this sale, but I am seriously flat out broke. I checked my credit card balance online as soon as I saw these deals go up, and I was completely appalled. Can't believe I let it get so high.

I am fucked, and Steam is only rubbing it in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I played an hour of Blueberry Garden, which was wonderful and shared a lot of game design themes with Myst, a game that otherwise has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Played Hacker Uprising for like 20 minutes, meh.

Played JUDGE DREDD: DREDD VS DEATH for maybe 2:30. It's not good. At all. Terrible shooting, adequate level design, I'm not really a fan of the source material to begin with, guns feel terrible, enemies are bullet sponges even on easy, story doesn't make any sense, character models look terrible, ragdoll is Deus Ex Invisible War level stupid.
holy shit the red bull product placement how fucking obnoxious
. I do like the arrest mechanic. Encourages you to play the game a little differently. 55 Metacritic seems about right.

Geoff9920 said:
Right now I'd just like the game to actually render at a 1080p resolution with the original assets and a readable main menu.

Unrelated: God damn Super Meat Boy is worth every penny.
are the first two games playable?? so far i read about the latter two being glitchy.

i want to play the first two, not sure if they are good or not, damn nostalgia.

pirata said:
What type of games are the Oddworld games? Why does everyone like them so much?

The first two are kind of like 2D platformers, though, you have to use commands to help allies and hurt/control enemies.
Munch is like a 3D platformer.
Strangler's Wrath is a shooter/adventure game.

They're very unique and well made.

Minamu

I'm thinking of setting up an account for my dad and one for my sister. Any ideas on what these non-gamers could be into? :S I'm thinking of Portal for dad or some racing game (I'm probably gonna repair my RROD 360 for him so he can play my Forza 2 on his own). Sims 3 would've been great for my sis (14 years old) but no such luck.

Kilgore Trout said:
So does anyone know how to remove shortcuts for Steam games on the sidebar? I just got the Civ IV pack, but the game and a few of the expansions are duplicated. One of each can be installed, but the other says the game is "not available on your current platform."
I've been wondering about this for a while too. It's nice that we got an answer from someone.
BigAT said:
This would be awesome, but it would be a nightmare for the people who try to set it up.:lol

pirata said:
I can only speak for Abe's Oddysee and Exodus, but they're 2-d puzzle/platformer/adventure games. Quite original, interesting puzzles and a fun story.

Cronox

Banned
Can we talk about the Fallout 3 daily deal price being a bit stingy? I was hoping for half off...

Still bought it though.

Total for the day: $36.32

Super Meat Boy
Fallout 3 GOTY
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

Fuck, I need more money.

Fifty

I'd buy Titan Quest (since I love Diablo-type games)..but sadly, the game doesn't work on integrated (read: laptop) video cards. Sad that Torchlight does but this doesn't. Good thing I found out before I bought it!

Red

Minamu said:
I'm thinking of setting up an account for my dad and one for my sister. Any ideas on what these non-gamers could be into? :S I'm thinking of Portal for dad or some racing game (I'm probably gonna repair my RROD 360 for him so he can play my Forza 2 on his own). Sims 3 would've been great for my sis (14 years old) but no such luck.
Portal is pretty good, it's interesting enough to appeal to non gamers.

Peggle and Plants vs Zombies are great places to start.

If your dad likes racing games, check out the Codemasters pack.

pirata said:

The first two are platformers, third is more of an adventure game, and Stranger's Wrath is closer to a shooter. They're quirky and just fun to play.

Joe Molotov

Fifty said:
I'd buy Titan Quest (since I love Diablo-type games)..but sadly, the game doesn't work on integrated (read: laptop) video cards. Sad that Torchlight does but this doesn't. Good thing I found out before I bought it!

Titan Quest is quiet a bit more graphically intensive than Torchlight.

Smash88

Banned
Kind of sucks I won't be getting Fallout 3 GOTY yet....$20 is too much, maybe if it was $10 I would jump on it, oh well, there is always the Summer Sale...

Who knows maybe we will have a March Break/Easter Sale? :lol

Shambles

Ended up buying 2 copies of Titan Quest for the girlfriend and I. Was thinking about Deus Ex and BC2 but i've spent too much already today with all things added together.

Plants vs. Zombies is at a good price, should give in or wait for a chance to be even cheaper? I really liked that game on my iPhone, but since my iPhone is no more I'm thinking on getting it.

Takk

I'm just getting into PC gaming and the steam holiday sale seems like the perfect start.

So far today I've purchased:
Super Meat Boy
Bioshock
Portal
F.E.A.R.
PB Winterbottom
for a grand total of 15.46 (so awesome!)

Earlier this week I bought the Humble Bundle 2.

I'm really enjoying Braid, Osmos, and Super Meat Boy. Are any of the Indie Packs a must buy? Is anyone working on a spreadsheet for this year similar to the 2009 one? I don't want to miss out on any good games at 75% or more discount.

Unfortunately my PC is on the low end (Core i3 3GHz , ATI 4850, 1680x1050 res) so I'm focusing on Indie titles and games from 2006-2008).

Ryn

God damnit Steam.

Keeping it kind of small today.

Day 1: $11.23
- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
- Prince of Persia [2008]
- Super Meat Boy

Since I never really played any of the Prince of Persia games those two seemed like the two best ones to get out of the group..hopefully.

vocab

Takk said:
I'm just getting into PC gaming and the steam holiday sale seems like the perfect start.

Super Meat Boy
Bioshock
Portal
F.E.A.R.
PB Winterbottom

I'm really enjoying Braid, Osmos, and Super Meat Boy. Are any of the Indie Packs a must buy? Is anyone working on a spreadsheet for this year similar to the 2009 one? I don't want to miss out on any good games at 75% or more discount.

Unfortunately my PC is on the low end (Core i3 3GHz , ATI 4850, 1680x1050 res) so I'm focusing on Indie titles and games from 2006-2008).

Get the pack that has VVVVVV. Lot of worthy games in there.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Des0lar said:
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

:( :( :(((((

anyone knwo what to do?
I already sent an e-mail to support, but i fear that the daily deals will be over by then...

Anyone willing to gift me the games? Will PayPal of course!

MoFuzz

Takk said:

lol wut. Dude, that kind of rig will take on just about any PC game (especially multi-platform ports) with no issues. Go easy on the AA and if you have to, knock one or two graphics settings to medium.

Takk said:

Super Meat Boy
Bioshock
Portal
F.E.A.R.
PB Winterbottom

Mix Pack, if only for Eufloria.

Jzero

i only have $20 bucks for the whole sale -_-
i think i'm only going to get the most awesome ones each day.
Super Meat Boy for today.

Minamu

Crunched said:
Portal is pretty good, it's interesting enough to appeal to non gamers.

Peggle and Plants vs Zombies are great places to start.

If your dad likes racing games, check out the Codemasters pack.
Might go with Portal, it's so damn cheap anyway :) Peggle and PvsZ are great games but I think he would find the "childish" graphics unappealing :lol Dirt 2 might be interesting though. He's more of a Formula 1 guy though. His only gaming contact is Solitaire, basically :S Sad, really.

But PvsZ might be alright for my sis, I guess. She kinda liked Peggle on my 360.

Cheech

I want F1 2010, but $20 seems to high for a game that sounds like it has numerous unfixed bugs.

Hell of a deal for BC2, shame I already have it. I'll keep my wallet closed and see what tomorrow brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom