• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, don't be thrown off by the "kids pack" being labeled "family friendly" and "casual." Most of the games in there are hugely addictive and totally fun.

Highly recommended. (To be honest, there's not one indie pack there not worth buying. All of them have at least 2 really good games.)

Geoff9920

SilverLunar said:
are the first two games playable?? so far i read about the latter two being glitchy.

i want to play the first two, not sure if they are good or not, damn nostalgia.
I've only bought/played stranger's wraith, can't say either way on the rest.

Alucrid

Banned
Bad Company 2 and FEAR pack. I don't think I'll be rebuying any of the Fallouts...don't think I could make it through them a second time.

I'm just happy the servers aren't getting hammered so I can DL my purchases.

Minamu

What are the odds of Witcher 1 dropping like a stone this time around? :D

Edit: Oh, when I'm buying/gifting someone else a game, do they need to have a steam account beforehand? Wouldn't be much of a surprise if I tell them to sign up before xmas :lol And I can't stealth access their emails either, nor would I want to.

Stumpokapow said:
Played JUDGE DREDD: DREDD VS DEATH for maybe 2:30. It's not good. At all. Terrible shooting, adequate level design, I'm not really a fan of the source material to begin with, guns feel terrible, enemies are bullet sponges even on easy, story doesn't make any sense, character models look terrible, ragdoll is Deus Ex Invisible War level stupid.
holy shit the red bull product placement how fucking obnoxious
. I do like the arrest mechanic. Encourages you to play the game a little differently. 55 Metacritic seems about right.

It's worth a buck.

hlhbk

Picked up Super Meat Boy, POP the Forgotten Sands Digital Deluxe edition, and the Abe collection, and Winterbottom all for under $25!!!! Damn this is not a good sign for the rest of the sale:lol .

Are any of the featured mega packs worth it? I'm talking about the packs at the bottom of the first pack page from all the obscure developers with games I've never heard of.

Red

Minamu said:
Might go with Portal, it's so damn cheap anyway :) Peggle and PvsZ are great games but I think he would find the "childish" graphics unappealing :lol Dirt 2 might be interesting though. He's more of a Formula 1 guy though. His only gaming contact is Solitaire, basically :S Sad, really.

But PvsZ might be alright for my sis, I guess. She kinda liked Peggle on my 360.
Try F1 2010, it's half off today.

He might like something like Mass Effect, it's more "mature" than many other games. Same goes for the Witcher. They're paced slow enough that it shouldn't throw him off, and the aesthetics of both might appeal to him.

Honestly you've probably already thought about everything I could suggest :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone else's PayPal giving them issues? I've tried to link 3 different credit cards and they've all gotten declined, even with all the correct info in :/

Steam is gonna drop AC2 this week, I can feel it...they'll make me mad at myself for picking it up off ubi.com for $7.50 this weekend :lol

Leatherface

Day 1 -$23
Day 2?

Picked up all the Prince of Persia games and the indie "fright" pack.

Was going to get Super Meat Boy & Oddbox, but after watching video's of both I'm passing for now. Super Meat Boy just looks annoyingly hard and All the oddbox games...well. I thought they were all enhanced at least but they're not and the nostalgia inside me isn't that strong. :lol

I just finished up my pc in time but I'm overwhelmed on what to buy. I don't want to buy too much at once with so many days left. I think I'm going to grab BC2 for now.

I played fallout 3 on consoles (no dlc though). Would the PC GOTY version be worth getting or should I move on and wait for New Vegas to drop in price?

Fredescu

TheRagnCajun said:
Are any of the featured mega packs worth it? I'm talking about the packs at the bottom of the first pack page from all the obscure developers with games I've never heard of.
I think the Paradox one looks good, but if you've never heard of them chances are you might not be interested.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
enzo_gt said:
Anyone else's PayPal giving them issues? I've tried to link 3 different credit cards and they've all gotten declined, even with all the correct info in :/
Yes. Only when I tried it with Credit Card, though. I paid through paypal when I had money in my account.

Cellbomber said:
I just finished up my pc in time but I'm overwhelmed on what to buy. I don't want to buy too much at once with so many days left. I think I'm going to grab BC2 for now.

I played fallout 3 on consoles (no dlc though). Would the PC GOTY version be worth getting or should I move on and wait for New Vegas to drop in price?

I'd move on, I was in the same place. Too much to play...

edit: gotta say I'm impressed with Steam this year (in terms of download speeds)

Last year was pretty terrible. This year I'm at ~ 2 mb/s. Kudos guys.

Minamu

Crunched said:
Try F1 2010, it's half off today.

He might like something like Mass Effect, it's more "mature" than many other games. Same goes for the Witcher. They're paced slow enough that it shouldn't throw him off, and the aesthetics of both might appeal to him.

Honestly you've probably already thought about everything I could suggest :lol
It's 2:30 AM so no, I haven't been giving it much thought at all :D Please see my post above. He has surely seen me play Mass Effect on the 360, I just never get any kind of response out of my parents when it comes to this stuff :lol So I have no clue what either of them could like. It's just for kids, you know :) Dad does like Star Wars and LOTR though, or maybe it's just the company. Witcher could work. I want it too :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Loxley said:
For those who are into more hardcore methodical shooters, an excellent third-person shooter called Sniper Elite is on sale for a stupidly low price of $1.49. Definitely a hidden gem of the PS2/Xbox era.

I wouldn't call Sniper Elite excellent but for $1.49 you can't go wrong. Definitely one of the more unique shooters available.

Oh and this sale is fucking insane.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dacvak said:
Yes. Only when I tried it with Credit Card, though. I paid through paypal when I had money in my account.
I have no money in my Paypal, which would normally take money straight from my bank account but needs the credit card as a backup. Even direct from the credit card isn't working. This is such BS. God damn SMB is only 3.75 too. :(

Rubenov

Pardon my ignorance but I've been outside of the gaming loop for a while... what the hell is this Railworks stuff and why is it so expensive?

vocab

Cellbomber said:
Would the PC GOTY version be worth getting or should I move on and wait for New Vegas to drop in price?

Id wait for NV. FO3 is so god damn buggy. I mean NV is buggy, but Fo3 is on another level, and Windows 7 just breaks most of the stability.

Rubenov said:
what the hell is this Railworks stuff and why is it so expensive?

Virtual trains is a multi million dollar market.

fell prey to SMB and Oddboxx early on.

Just added the Fear bundle and Deus Ex bundle to that list.

Gonna gift a few games to my kids tomorrow as digital stocking stuffers then I'm back to taking care of myself :lol

Stumpokapow said:
Played JUDGE DREDD: DREDD VS DEATH for maybe 2:30. It's not good. At all. Terrible shooting, adequate level design, I'm not really a fan of the source material to begin with, guns feel terrible, enemies are bullet sponges even on easy, story doesn't make any sense, character models look terrible, ragdoll is Deus Ex Invisible War level stupid.
holy shit the red bull product placement how fucking obnoxious
. I do like the arrest mechanic. Encourages you to play the game a little differently. 55 Metacritic seems about right.

The source material - the best of it at any rate - is great, blackly humourous British sci-fi, and the strip - in the hands of one of its creators, John Wagner - remains potent to this day, some 30-odd years on. Well worth persevering - can recommend some classics, if you fancy!

That said, the game really is pretty poor. The arrest mechanic you note is pretty much a one- or two-level novelty, and the game soon falls off into bog-standard shooter territory. The story doesn't hit on the real appeal of Dredd, and the game was a bit of a disappointment for even the most hardened of Dredd fans.

Rebellion managed to improve somewhat for the next of their 2000AD adaptations - Rogue Trooper - and while that still fails to really engage with the appeal of the source material (an utterly bonkers tale of a genetically-engineered super-soldier) and quickly becomes repetitive, it is a far more satisfying game.

Day 1 - 21 dollars and change.

Bad Company 2
Fear 2
Amnesia: Dark Descent (I know this will probably go on sale even further, but I've been postponing getting this game since it game out, and the 50 percent off made me buy while adding others to my cart)

Trying to stay under 100 dollars this year, but I've already gone over my 10 dollars a day goal :lol

kamspy

MikeE21286 said:
Steam is gonna drop AC2 this week, I can feel it...they'll make me mad at myself for picking it up off ubi.com for $7.50 this weekend :lol

They god damn better. That's why I skipped that sale.

The Prince of Persia day gives me hope for a AssCreed day though. AssCreed 2 will be mine.

Nabs

MikeE21286 said:
You're going to kick yourself in a month when you try to download it from ubi again.

BioHazard

1183q4o.png

15xrhqs.png

My god

Nabs said:
You're going to kick yourself in a month when you try to download it from ubi again.

yep :(

I realized this after finishing the process of actually buying the game off their website. It was an excruciating ordeal....I'm not optimistic for future download attempts from them...

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
The really screwed up thing about me is I don't even have a gaming PC, but have been hoarding shit from these sales for 2 years. I have almost 200 games on my account and cannot play most of them. I will be building a rig in about 2 months and it shall be glorious. What a ridiculous backlog i have....

BioHazard

Uhhh I just bought all of those games and got the confirmation and everything, but they are not in my library :(

EDIT: Wait a minute it says NO CONNECTION at the bottom of my Steam client I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

Insured

Okay, Magic Expansions, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Peggle & Nights gift for a friend, Deus Ex Collection and Oddbox. I'm done. DONE.

Jzero

Unfortunately my PC is on the low end (Core i3 3GHz , ATI 4850, 1680x1050 res) so I'm focusing on Indie titles and games from 2006-2008).
Im still playing with my Pentium 4 with not that many problems so newer games should run just fine for you :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Eww yeah.

Really bad impressions from the Oddbox thread keeping me away from that pack.
I'll just get the first two games.

Instro

BioHazard said:
Uhhh I just bought all of those games and got the confirmation and everything, but they are not in my library :(

EDIT: Wait a minute it says NO CONNECTION at the bottom of my Steam client I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

If you bought them while it was saying no connection it probably hasnt gone through yet.

vocab

Insured said:
Okay, Magic Expansions, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Peggle & Nights gift for a friend, Deus Ex Collection and Oddbox. I'm done. DONE.

Dude, it's day one. You're just getting started.

Yasae

Banned
kamspy said:
They god damn better. That's why I skipped that sale.

The Prince of Persia day gives me hope for a AssCreed day though. AssCreed 2 will be mine.
Assassin's Creed 2 was already $7.50 on the Ubi store a few days ago. Not easy to beat that...

EDIT: Doh! He mentioned that already. Still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom