• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Htown said:
No wonder they had all these contests where you have to have games in your wishlist to win.

wish.jpg

Gabe, you sly son of a BITCH.

This is a perfect example of why Valve is so great. They do stuff that is absolutely fucking diabolical to make you spend more money but people love it because the things that they do are always beneficial to you anyways. Like they do this and not only do you have a decent shot at winning a bunch of games for free without spending a dime but you also get it pointed out to you that you really want X game and now's a great time to buy it because you'll get an awesome price.

Smartest people in the industry by a country mile.

Blizzard said:
Silly question...is there a way to list the whole game catalog for games on sale? I can't seem to find a "on sale" filter.

There's normally a specials tab on the front page around where it shows what your friends have been playing but they seem to have taken it off for the length of the sale or at least temporarily. Hopefully, they put it back on cause it's kind of difficult to find some of the deals without knowning exactly what you're looking for.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Bad Company 2's multiplayer service. Twice the "Play Now" option put me into an empty server, and when I tried to manually search for them it brought up a ton of servers with "999" ping. There are TONS of empty servers out there.

I hope it's just the time of night, or maybe the sale is messing things up, but uh, people are still playing this game, right?

1-D_FTW

Gaogaogao said:
I played this game the most all year long and got hella milage out of it. I also payed way more than $7 too.

I decided to look at hours played by friend's before I bought. Tre's logged almost 200 hours. Figured maybe I've overlooked it and should give it a chance.

Although I'm having real Punkbuster issues with conflicts. I hope I've finally solved it, because it's a deal breaker if it won't stop locking my computer out of restarts/sleeps.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aselith said:
This is a perfect example of why Valve is so great. They do stuff that is absolutely fucking diabolical to make you spend more money but people love it because the things that they do are always beneficial to you anyways. Like they do this and not only do you have a decent shot at winning a bunch of games for free without spending a dime but you also get it pointed out to you that you really want X game and now's a great time to buy it because you'll get an awesome price.

This follows the vein of Amazon; all the great ecommerce companies do this. They know that the best way to get your money is to help you!

Loxley

SirPenguin said:
I'm pretty underwhelmed by Bad Company 2's multiplayer service. Twice the "Play Now" option put me into an empty server, and when I tried to manually search for them it brought up a ton of servers with "999" ping. There are TONS of empty servers out there.

I hope it's just the time of night, or maybe the sale is messing things up, but uh, people are still playing this game, right?

There are tens of thousands of people playing BC2 on the PC, how are your filters set up? Are you making it show servers from all regions? You can make it so it doesn't show empty servers, or full ones for that matter.

The best place to ask about problems like these is the BC2 OT anyway :D

Edgeward

Htown said:
No wonder they had all these contests where you have to have games in your wishlist to win.

wish.jpg

Gabe, you sly son of a BITCH.

It was also broken for me, I couldn't get back to the storefront once I viewed the wishlist and couldn't hit the store button as it would just loop back to my wishlist. No, Gabe! Mafia 2 being 33% is not enough for me, no matter how hard you sell it to me.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Aselith said:

Yup. I mean, to be eligible to win this thing you have to have signed on on the 20th.

Which is today... which is the day all the sales start going up. :lol

Instro

Gerald Preston said:
Apologies if this has been asked but has there been a price set for the indie potato pack? Wondering if I should wait to buy Super Meat Boy.

Nope, my guess though is that it will be the same price as the heavy hitters indie pack.

Gerald Preston said:
Apologies if this has been asked but has there been a price set for the indie potato pack? Wondering if I should wait to buy Super Meat Boy.

Well, the heavy hitters pack is $20 and contains less than what the potato pack included in the registry. Also, the heavy hitters pack contains more than it did in the registry. I'm wondering if Valve just didn't scrap the potato pack.

Blizzard

Banned
Edgeward said:
It was also broken for me, I couldn't get back to the storefront once I viewed the wishlist and couldn't hit the store button as it would just loop back to my wishlist. No, Gabe! Mafia 2 being 33% is not enough for me, no matter how hard you sell it to me.
I had that too. Restarting Steam fixed it, but it's kind of annoying.

Also, does about $22 sound decent for Mafia II? If so, find someone in the UK and Paypal them the amount. It's like 13.39 pounds for them.

You should probably wait in case there's a daily deal on it though. :) (even though there was just a sale during the treasure hunt, when I got it for the same price it's at now, via a guy in the UK)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Civ 4 Complete for $7. Disgusting. SIMPLY DISGUSTING.

Smash88

Banned
Blizzard said:
I had that too. Restarting Steam fixed it, but it's kind of annoying.

Also, does about $22 sound decent for Mafia II? If so, find someone in the UK and Paypal them the amount. It's like 13.39 pounds for them.

You should probably wait in case there's a daily deal on it though. :) (even though there was just a sale during the treasure hunt, when I got it for the same price it's at now, via a guy in the UK)

If you press the home button on the store it takes you back, you need to press it twice fast.

Seems like a bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So is it worth paying 20 bucks for all the Fallout 3 DLC, or should I stay put with the non-GOTY version I already have?

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:
Mafia 2 DLC not on sale. :-/
Clearly this means that a later daily deal will have Mafia 2, all its DLC, both of the Dreamfall/Longest Journey games, and Bloodlines. Right? RIGHT? >.>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've calmed down but not being able to buy shit during this sale is infuriating. Why won't Valve take my money? Why won't PayPal let me give Valve my money? All I wanted is Super Meat Boy (and later, HL1 if it goes on sale) in all it's $3.75 glory and you gotta do me like this?

Fuck.

Htown

speculawyer said:
Mafia 2 DLC not on sale. :-/
OH MY GOD I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

Screw the car and clothes packs, I just want to see more adventures with Joe!

Blizzard

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I've calmed down but not being able to buy shit during this sale is infuriating. Why won't Valve take my money? Why won't PayPal let me give Valve my money? All I wanted is Super Meat Boy (and later, HL1 if it goes on sale) in all it's $3.75 glory and you gotta do me like this?

Fuck.
How much money do you have on your Paypal account?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blizzard said:
How much money do you have on your Paypal account?
None, I linked it to my bank account (which only has a debit card associated) but it needs a credit card for backup, even though my bank account has plenty. And all of the credit cards (my dad's) I put in are getting declined. I'd just transfer money from my bank account to my PayPal, but that takes 6-10 days to make the transfer.

The issue is with PayPal declining all the credit cards for some strange reason, despite correct info, spelling, etc. Dacvak said in this thread PayPal was giving him issues too.

Oh crap

I bought super meat boy earlier today and I was just looking at the op to check something and there right there is the potato pack with super meat boy...

I even posted about the deal in this very thread while at work today... How did I forget!?!?

It's like I see the deal and all logic or thought goes out the window :(

jiien

enzo_gt said:
None, I linked it to my bank account (which only has a debit card associated) but it needs a credit card for backup, even though my bank account has plenty. And all of the credit cards (my dad's) I put in are getting declined. I'd just transfer money from my bank account to my PayPal, but that takes 6-10 days to make the transfer.

The issue is with PayPal declining all the credit cards for some strange reason, despite correct info, spelling, etc. Dacvak said in this thread PayPal was giving him issues too.

Check your PM box.

stuminus3

Ponn01 said:
It's not a daily deal, does it still fall under the rule of don't buy if its not a daily deal?
It probably should, but I've started picking stuff up that's ridiculously cheap as it is and if it's a buck or two cheaper later then it's all good. What I don't understand is why Civ 4 gets listed twice in my games tab, I assume one of them is supposed to be the Mac version?

EDIT: holy fucking shit as I typed this I realised I bought Civ 4 and all it's expansions and add ons for 7 dollars. That's a million hours of game time per dollar! o_O

Blizzard

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Ah, okay. I tried doing a PayPal transaction for Minecraft but had to link a credit card instead of paying direct with a credit card without logging in. Sorry that they suck so much...I'm assuming you tried putting in a credit card (i.e. your dad's) directly for Steam, and that didn't work either?

The reason I asked about the PayPal balance was that I knew that it gets rejected if you don't have enough money for the non-sale price, i.e. you'd need $15 or more to buy a $15 game on sale for $4.

Joe Molotov said:
Thanks, bookmarked!

Htown

Ponn01 said:
It's not a daily deal, does it still fall under the rule of don't buy if its not a daily deal?
Yes.

That is the rule for EVERYTHING. Buy only daily deals until the last day. Then buy anything you want that ISN'T a daily deal.

Remember, this isn't a physical store. They're not going to run out of copies. (Okay the CD Key thing happens sometimes, but that's only ever a temporary delay.)

Psy-Phi

Edgeward said:
You think that's broken? Haha, so naive. That's to force you to keep looking longingly at your Wishlist, you can go back to the Storefront after all items that are on sale are purchased :p.

Htown said:
OH MY GOD I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

Screw the car and clothes packs, I just want to see more adventures with Joe!
It wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't lie about it.
2KAllNOTonsale.jpg

*Also does not include Mafia 2 DLC! :-(

Insured said:
Okay, Magic Expansions, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Peggle & Nights gift for a friend, Deus Ex Collection and Oddbox. I'm done. DONE.

And I thought I wasn't going to buy anything today. Thanks for the tip, you bastard :lol

Aselith

Tkawsome said:
Are the Civ IV expansions any good? I already own the original and was looking at the complete pack.

Yeah, they're good. Warlords is essentially a scenario pack. Not a big deal but not horrible to own.

Beyond the Sword is a fantastic update to the game and adds a bunch of depth to various systems such as espionage and add corporations which are kind of like late game religion. Adds a bunch of scenarios and a bunch of Civs. It's is a really, really good expansion.

Colonization is not Civ anymore. It's an entirely seperate thing but it's a really cool game also. It's much more of an economic warfare thing and has you guiding the birth of a new colony rather than the entirity of human history. Ive played it for many hours and never won a single game but it's still really fun to me.

You absolutely have to pick those expansions up. DO IT!

Just on the subject of Colonization: I would love it if they continued the precedent this sets up of redoing Sid's old games as expansions for mainline Civ. Would absolutely adore it if they redid Alpha Centauri as a Civ 5 expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom