• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aselith said:
Yeah, they're good. Warlords is essentially a scenario pack. Not a big deal but not horrible to own.

Beyond the Sword is a fantastic update to the game and adds a bunch of depth to various systems such as espionage and add corporations which are kind of like late game religion. Adds a bunch of scenarios and a bunch of Civs. It's is a really, really good expansion.

Colonization is not Civ anymore. It's an entirely seperate thing but it's a really cool game also. It's much more of an economic warfare thing and has you guiding the birth of a new colony rather than the entirity of human history. Ive played it for many hours and never won a single game but it's still really fun to me.

You absolutely have to pick those expansions up. DO IT!

I was already planning on picking it up so I didn't need the disk anymore, I'm really interested in the packs now though. Thanks.

Kritz said:
So both peggles on sale are $4 each.

Should I buy both for $8, or just buy one of them separately?

might as well buy both. if your like the rest of us when u start playing peggle you wont stop for quite a while.

Ifrit

I really think Civ 4 complete is a great deal at that price and I really want to buy it, but I know I can't sink that many hours in a single game right now

Was also thinking of getting BC2 but seeing that there's an expansion I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some kind of GOTY edition down the way, will get it by then, I'm in no rush to play it right now

I'm really proud of myself for thinking clearly during my first steam holiday sale, still bought Super Meat Boy and PB Winterbottom since it's impossible to say no to those prices

Stumpokapow said:
I win.

steam_wishlist_sale.png

And that's after the 16 games I bought today.

I don't even own that many games on Steam. My wishlist consist of about five games and I struggled to hit even that number.

What's on your wishlist, out of curiosity. If it isn't easy to somehow copy and paste, don't worry about it.

Ifrit said:
Was also thinking of getting BC2 but seeing that there's an expansion I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some kind of GOTY edition down the way, will get it by then, I'm in no rush to play it right now

I would say that with the price of BC2 you should buy it and just wait for the expansion to go on sale. BC2 is normally $20 so you could buy BC2+Vietnam right now for just $1.79 more than the normal price of BC2. Or you can do what I am doing and buy BC2 now and wait to see if Vietnam gets a lower price during the sale.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blizzard said:
Ah, okay. I tried doing a PayPal transaction for Minecraft but had to link a credit card instead of paying direct with a credit card without logging in. Sorry that they suck so much...I'm assuming you tried putting in a credit card (i.e. your dad's) directly for Steam, and that didn't work either?

The reason I asked about the PayPal balance was that I knew that it gets rejected if you don't have enough money for the non-sale price, i.e. you'd need $15 or more to buy a $15 game on sale for $4.
Yeah I tried both, still don't work. It says the company declined it, but I quadruple checked everything, including the account balances, which were over 3.75 I assure :lol

Stumpokapow said:
I win.

And that's after the 16 games I bought today.
Your wallet lost.

Ken Masters said:
if I buy a game on steam (say meatboy on pc), can I play it on another computer (mac)?
Yes, and in the case of Meat Boy specifically, you will own the Mac version too when it releases.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jaundicejuice said:
What's on your wishlist, out of curiosity. If it isn't easy to somehow copy and paste, don't worry about it.

This should be a link to my wishlist:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999584737/wishlist/

If you sort by rank order, the first ~20 are actually in order, the rest are just added willy-nilly.

enzo_gt said:
Your wallet lost.

If I end up buying 50 games for $250, I'm pretty sure my wallet wins in the long run.

Ken Masters said:
if I buy a game on steam (say meatboy on pc), can I play it on another computer (mac)?

If it says Steamplay, its available for both Mac and PC so if you buy the game you can play it on both. For games that are not yet Mac compatible you can still play them with boot camp.

sadromeo said:
oh man, $40 spent and counting... thanks Steam....

Quick question!

If I accidentally purchased a game twice to gift to a friend (first time said there was an error, so I purchased again and now I have it twice), and I gifted one to a friend who redeemed it. Can I send the second purchase to myself? I actually want the game.

Is it possible to resend to my email address and redeemed it?

Thanks GAF!
Yes. Go to "manage gifts and guest passes" under "Games" in the Steam client and you'll be able to resend the unredeemed one. Just send it to your email address, pull out the code, and redeem it in Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gregor7777 said:
Gah it's only $3.75 but will I enjoy SMB? I tend to not like hard platformers. Cash is tight even for $3.75. Damn Valve. :lol

It's $3.75. Forgo the side salad tomorrow. It's an excellent game, and although it's very hard, the key is that you get an infinite number of tries and the levels are 30 seconds long, so as soon as you die, just throw yourself into it again. It's significantly less frustrating that most hard platformers for that reason.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
no meatboy on mac? bummer
It's coming soon, but it's coming. You may as well buy it now for $3.75, and you'll get the Mac version for free when it comes out. There's supposed to be news on the Mac release sometime this week too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
twdnewh_k said:
This is so overwhelming, i dont know where to start.
I'll make it easy for you. Two things:

Look at the Valve, Square/Eidos and 2K complete packs. They are like 80 bucks each (Valve's is only 50, wtf?) and contain all games made by those publishers that are on Steam. If you decide you want to buy one of those packs, do it.

If you don't want to drop that much money at once (most don't), then look only at the daily deals on the main page. Decide which of those games you want to buy, and do so.

don't buy anything else until tomorrow.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh shit, Rush is 2.50? Hmmm....

Honestly, it looks like I'll really only be keeping my eye on the Indie games tab this sale. I went through the list of releases this year, and nothing stands out. Darksiders would be kind of nice but I'm not really in any hurry to play it. Plus, I'm completely swamped with my purchases from the last few months anyway (Meat Boy, Lara Croft and Civ 5).

Davedough

I went in with $60 and exercised a rare bit of control. Bought Bad Company 2 and the FEAR pack. Plan on saving the rest of it for the future releases in this holiday of awesomeness.

But a salad might make me live longer and a frustrating platformer might make my life shorter. Anyone here bad at platformers have a good time with it?

Stumpokapow said:

If you sort by rank order, the first ~20 are actually in order, the rest are just added willy-nilly.

If I end up buying 50 games for $250, I'm pretty sure my wallet wins in the long run.

Madness, if I could just gift you my copy of Mafia 1, I would. And I was wrong, my wishlist consists of just 4 games...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dangry/wishlist/

If Blizzard distributed games through Steam that number would jump up by two :p

pirata

gregor7777 said:
Gah it's only $3.75 but will I enjoy SMB? I tend to not like hard platformers. Cash is tight even for $3.75. Damn Valve. :lol

You might still enjoy it. It's as hard as nails, but there is really no penalty for dying. Levels are short, and you respond instantly. Tons of style, tons of content. And you don't have to finish every level in a world to advance if you find it too hard (though I'm a completionist).

Still, if you have a really low tolerance for frustration, you might want to think twice. But it's an amazing value at this price. Your decision.

kamspy

Htown said:
Nobody has an opinion on the Fallout 3 DLC? Worth 20 bucks for all of it?

IMO, yes. Broken Steel and Point Lookout alone will get you 20 hours of Fallout goodness.

Hell I'm considering it. It's a task for me to install Fallout 3. Retail disc and one retail DLC, the rest through GFWL. That's a solid 2 hours of bullshit to install it.

LugNut74

The only game I really want is Mass Effect 2. I picked up Mass Effect 1 already in a steam sale but don't have the 2nd one yet. I sure hope it is one of the daily deals offered this year.

Htown said:
Yeah, for all 5 I think it's definitely worth it. There were a few I was mildly disappointed in at full price, but all of it at that price is great.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Stumpokapow said:

Gah, Stump, Hitman: Blood Money is down to $5. Surely you can justify that eensy bit more for such a great game?

vocab said:
ROFL. Motionjoy takes less than 2 mins to setup.

Plug controller in
Install motion joy
click the install ps3 driver option
Click the radio button for 360 emulation
Click Enable

This is the easiest way possible. Before we had to dick around in the device manager, and hope it works. Now it always works with a few button presses.

shit, maybe i was watching some old ass youtube video then. cuz the guy was in device manager for liek 15-20 minutes

Shambles

Tkawsome said:
I was already planning on picking it up so I didn't need the disk anymore, I'm really interested in the packs now though. Thanks.

As in desk check? If you've updated to the last patch it should have removed the CD check. If that's not what you're implying then just ignore me. :)

TrAcEr_x90 said:
shit, maybe i was watching some old ass youtube video then. cuz the guy was in device manager for liek 15-20 minutes

The driver was only certified recently vastly reducing the complexity of the process. Now it's very simple.

twdnewh_k

Htown said:
I'll make it easy for you. Two things:

Look at the Valve, Square/Eidos and 2K complete packs. They are like 80 bucks each (Valve's is only 50, wtf?) and contain all games made by those publishers that are on Steam. If you decide you want to buy one of those packs, do it.

If you don't want to drop that much money at once (most don't), then look only at the daily deals on the main page. Decide which of those games you want to buy, and do so.

don't buy anything else until tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll only buy daily deals stuff for now. On the last day I'll buy anything else from the discounted entire publisher library which I want.

Shambles said:
As in desk check? If you've updated to the last patch it should have removed the CD check. If that's not what you're implying then just ignore me. :)

:lol
Shows how much I know.

Too late, I already picked it up. It's easily worth it either way.

Wthermans

Banned
I'm thinking I'm going to get the FEAR Pack, Super Meat Boy & the OddBoxx today (may talk myself out of this last one). I'm hoping to get the 2K Collection on the last day as well. Really wanting Dragon Age Ultimate Edition to go on sale though

stuminus3

Promised myself I wouldn't, dropped 75 on the Square collection after spending all night doing the math. I added up the sale price of everything I wanted from their catalog and still came out around 200 bucks, give or take, so that's still 125 less than the existing sale price combined, plus it's an extra crapload of DLC and some dodgy looking games "for free". It's a huge bargain any way I paint it, it was just a question of whether or not I wanted to unload that much cash at once. It's highly unlikely everything I wanted would go on sale for better than this price via daily deals anyway.

Argh I feel so dirty now. What a day.

Daily deals and nothing more for me from now on, I think. STFU, impulse me. My Steam client appears to have died for good now anyway. :lol

Wthermans

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
It took me about 30 minutes to get setup. The driver kept failing to install when I had my PS3 controller hooked up (also had some problems with the analog sticks getting calibrated) But once it's setup, it'll remember the settings for the same USB port so it's just plug and play.

Shambles said:

The driver was only certified recently vastly reducing the complexity of the process. Now it's very simple.

ok next problem, can i only do it as a bluetooth setup? the tutorial only shows how to do it by bluetooth. can i do it usb plugged in?

Htown said:

I find myself in the same dilemma since I have the vanilla game without the DLC, but I simply refuse to pay more than $10 for all five. What I was more interested in, was seeing if those would get discounted. Since they did, there is a chance that in the future they will be dirt cheap.

Unless you are planning on playing Fallout 3 immediately, I would say save your money this time. Also, I don't want to have two entries for Fallout 3 in the steam library.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
If anybody has a TF2 gift and want left 4 dead 2 gift for it, PM me please. Hopefully TF2 will be on sale for this holiday if I can't find someone to trade

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I now own every Prince of Persia game on steam, Lego Batman, and Magnetis, a game I only know two things about; A, it is $.50, B, it reminds me of Tetris Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom