• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
pauljeremiah said:
So I got:

Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition
Mass Effect 2

Why? They weren't going to go up in price between now and the 3rd of January and will probably be on sale in the next few days.

I did pretty good day 1 and only bought Bad Company 2 for myself. Then I started gifting. Blew my whole carefully planned budget.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, after an age of having NO MONEY, I finally have the Deus Ex pack. Here's hoping that Invisible War isn't as bad as I've heard, even though I'll be playing the original first :D

I'd get more, but the perennial NO MONEY situation continues until at least tomorrow, so no Super Meat Boy @ 75% off for me :lol

Johnlenham said:
Do I need Titan Quest installed to play Immortal Throne? Otherwise I've just downloaded it for nothing
AFAIK, you do, yes.

Danj

So when do we get to find out what today's deals are? Also I don't suppose there are any leaks of future days' deals so we can plan purchases in advance? :D

Volcynika

Avyrocky said:
Darksiders is listed in one of the packs but is not there what gives?

From UK by the way...

Which pack? Only thing it should be packaged with that I know of is the THQ pack, but right now that pack does not include Darksiders and MX vs ATV Reflex.

So when do we get to find out what today's deals are?

Jeez people, there's a timer on the front page of the site! What do you think it's there for? D:

Sanjay

I <3 Memes said:
Why? They weren't going to go up in price between now and the 3rd of January and will probably be on sale in the next few days.

I guess he wants to play them during the holidays and not after.

sturmdogg

Steam holiday sale noobie question: ME and ME2 are currently discounted. Is this discount going to last until the last day of the sale, or are they going to go back to normal price tomorrow?

Volcynika

sturmdogg said:
Steam holiday sale noobie question: ME and ME2 are currently discounted. Is this discount going to last until the last day of the sale, or are they going to go back to normal price tomorrow?

Unless they are a daily deal one day (which they will be lower for 24 hours), that price will be there until the end of the sale.

Parham

Banned
sturmdogg said:
Until the end of the sale.

Minsc

Gold Member
FYI, there is an unofficial patch for Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (v1.17a) that supports the Steam version, and fixes a bunch of bugs/other things. Probably a good idea to use it. Notes here.

krzy123

sturmdogg said:

all non-daily deals prices are until Jan. 2nd

Darklord

Banned
DcI7a.jpg

How do I get rid of this shit? I've downloaded/installed all these games(ages ago) but they keep coming up as wanting to download the entire game again rather than I'm guessing a patch. How do I fix that?

Edit: oops this is the sale thread not the normal one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chriswok said:
Cheers, Minsc.

No problem, I played TQ:IT like 2 years ago with this patch, which is why I wanted to mention it.

Just wanted to note I've updated my earlier post's link to the original source of the patch, sorry you quoted it before the change, that was just some site from googling, and I decided I didn't like their banner/ads.

kennah

How do I get rid of this shit? I've downloaded/installed all these games(ages ago) but they keep coming up as wanting to download the entire game again rather than I'm guessing a patch. How do I fix that?

Haha, I bet at least three GAFers were preparing 'WHY DID YOU BUY THESE NOW' responses.

(I was one of them)

Dynoro

Darklord said:

I imagine you need to verify the integrity of those games to stop it coming up again

Avyrocky

Banned
Volcynika said:
Which pack? Only thing it should be packaged with that I know of is the THQ pack, but right now that pack does not include Darksiders and MX vs ATV Reflex

Yeah the THQ pack. The game is not in the games list though :(

Ledsen

I have a great tactic for resisting Steam deals. I ask myself this question:

If I saw this game for the same price in a retail store, would I buy it?

If the answer is no (which it often is), I realize that the only reason I'm ready to buy it now is that I like having games on Steam and I'm caught up in the sale craze, not because I actually want to play it. So I don't buy it. I didn't buy anything today :D Unfortunately I thought of this tactic a little late as I already have 100+ games on my account from previous sales :( I actually wanted to buy Stranger's Wrath today but the crappy port job they did is making me wait until next year when it's hopefully fixed.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
To be honest, usually, I can't really afford to spend money on random games. So either I really really want the title or it's a no-go!

There are exceptions, of course. Nobody's perfect. But something like SMG, for instance, just isn't my style. I'd never ever put money down for it, although I acknowledge its objective greatness, of course.

Rubezh

I'm very close to buying BC2+V but I just have a few questions before I do.

1. Is the player base more active on console or PC?
2. Is there any point buying this when BF3 will be out next year?

Right now I'm thinking this will be a filler for me until BF3, but at the reduced price it seems like an ok deal.

LCfiner

during the summer sale, I came very close to buying multiple publisher mega packs but held off since I knew it would be silly to spend over 150 bucks for around 2 or 3 games that I'd want to play.

and then I'd have this huge list of uninstalled games cluttering up my Steam game list.

so for both that sale and now this one, I am sticking to daily game sales and stuff that I'd actually want to play (even if not right now). not just stuff that seems like a novelty to have in a list of old games.

Big-E

Fuck I might be in trouble this year. Girlfriend is gone for a week and I am going to be bored. Gabe and his evil sale know how to exploit money from bored people like me. Must resist games I will never play.

As an aside, why don't we see the console spaces do sales like these? With the success Steam has had with these holiday sales, you think that Sony and MS could benefit from a large slashing of first party titles at least.

Balb

Very glad that this sale exists. It's the reason why I got Super Meat Boy, and the game is amazing. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

JoeBoy101

This is going to get absurd. I haven't even got done downloading Fear Collection and Bad Company, when I'll be buying more games probably today.

Just saw the whole region thing and will try that after work.

Fireflu

3 days now and nothing but this:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

!!! nooooo! i have about 10 items in my cart im desperate to get (3 of them will expire when the sale ends for today). Im not sure what is causing this problem, i set my account up in the UK and am currently staying in Italy (which for some reason has caused all the prices on the steam site to show up as dollars!?). Surely this wont prevent me from completing a purchase. Im trying to use paypal btw (also tried visa but no success there).

Valve do you not want my money?? heeeeelp : (

If i cant get this fixed i would be very grateful if someone could get the oddboxx and super meat boy for me and i would pay them back. Sending money and such through paypal seems to be working fine (which makes this problem all the stranger).

DryvBy

I'm still getting to games from last years holiday games. Unless it's something I can't resist (Fallout 3 on PC, please), then I'm holding back.

Ledsen

Brandon F said:
Is Metro 2033 worth ~$27 asking price? Does it have controller support?

Yes it is definitely worth that. Amazing, amazing game. That said, don't buy it since it's bound to be a daily deal at some point.

Dynoro

DryvBy2 said:
I'm still getting to games from last years holiday games. Unless it's something I can't resist (Fallout 3 on PC, please), then I'm holding back.
Fallout 3 is one of today's daily deals

Big-E

Ledsen said:
Yes it is definitely worth that. Amazing, amazing game. That said, don't buy it since it's bound to be a daily deal at some point.

Good advice as their seems to be a lot of rookies to Steam holiday sales. Read the op new people. Do not buy a lone game that is not the daily deal. You can do this only on the last day of the sale when you know it won't get cheaper.

esc said:
If you're bad at platformers then I can't see you liking it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's $3.75, but I want to keep my spending under control. I could use that $3.75 on a genre I'm more comfortable with. Thanks.

Dynoro

Smash88 said:
I wouldn't call $9 off a sale. More like a joke.

$10 or less is what the price should be....
Good point - that's what I was wishing for (already have the base game but would play $10 for the DLC)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Fireflu said:
3 days now and nothing but this:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

!!! nooooo! i have about 10 items in my cart im desperate to get (3 of them will expire when the sale ends for today). Im not sure what is causing this problem, i set my account up in the UK and am currently staying in Italy (which for some reason has caused all the prices on the steam site to show up as dollars!?). Surely this wont prevent me from completing a purchase. Im trying to use paypal btw (also tried visa but no success there).
You're in Italy, thus, your IP is from Italy. However, your CC information is from the UK and your Steam profile says you are in the UK.

You can only buy things on Steam if your IP is from the country your Credit Card (or PayPal) info says you're from.

You can either use a .UK VPN to buy your shit or ask somebody on GAF to buy games for you. I'd recommend you send the money first, through paypal. There's a thread for such things. If you have an Italian Credit Card, you can change your information on your Steam account to match the CC's info and use it instead.

Alternatively, you can ask somebody to turn your computer at home on, remotely access it and buy it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom