• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ashbash159 said:
It is allowed.
Check fi you have the latest version of punkbuster.
Technically, PunkBuster has an Auto-Update feature, but it never works.

Go to http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php, download PBsetup, unpack it. If it detects Bad Company 2, tell it to fetch for updates. If it doesn't detect it, manually point to it in the settings and check for updates.

You can play single player, but not multiplayer? That's weird.

rbenchley

sturmdogg said:
Steam holiday sale noobie question: ME and ME2 are currently discounted. Is this discount going to last until the last day of the sale, or are they going to go back to normal price tomorrow?
Aside from any potential Steam Daily Deals, GamersGate has both Mass Effects on sale for $7.98 each for the rest of the week.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

..while trying to buy CivIV Complete - is this what happens usually at Steam sales or am I doing it wrong? :(

Fireflu

Hey can someone point me in the direction of the thread that helps with people trying to buy stuff off steam from other countries. I need a kind soul in the US to buy the oddboxx for me (i will send the money, $12.50 i believe, before said buyer buys/sends game to maintain trust).

drizzle said:
Check fi you have the latest version of punkbuster.
Technically, PunkBuster has an Auto-Update feature, but it never works.

Go to http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php, download PBsetup, unpack it. If it detects Bad Company 2, tell it to fetch for updates. If it doesn't detect it, manually point to it in the settings and check for updates.

You can play single player, but not multiplayer? That's weird.
I've never used PunkBuster before but thanks it works now. I don't really understand what it does but never mind.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Joe Molotov said:
Yeah, it was $25 for a little while, then they changed it to $50.
Yeah the rule should be - don't buy until the last day unless it is a daily deal, or it is a really, almost unbelievably, good price and its the first 5 hours of the sale.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ashbash159 said:
I've never used PunkBuster before but thanks it works now. I don't really understand what it does but never mind.
Punkbuster is the anti-cheat system that never auto-updates itself successfully. Every now and then you will have to go back to the site and download the setup program again (don't bother trying to manually update it, just download the set-up and run through it).

fatty

Is the 360 version of Fallout 3 GOTY edition comparable to the PC version? (seen a lot about the PS3 being buggy). I'm leaning toward the 360 because of the big screen/couch factor but if the PC version is clearly superior I'll go that route. I've just read a lot of issues with bugs and I'm not sure what to make of it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is Bad Company 2 worth ~$7, just for the singleplayer?
fatty said:
Is the 360 version of Fallout 3 GOTY edition comparable to the PC version? (seen a lot about the PS3 being buggy). I'm leaning toward the 360 because of the big screen/couch factor but if the PC version is clearly superior I'll go that route. I've just read a lot of issues with bugs and I'm not sure what to make of it.
PC is way superior, and has the mod community to fix a lot of the issues.

PC all the way.

Cheech

fatty said:

I put 150 hours into the 360 version + DLC, and never ran into any serious bugs. It is far, far better than New Vegas on the bug front (which it should be, since it's as fully patched as it's going to get).

Minsc

Gold Member
fatty said:

Not one bit once you install this.

xclaw

K.Jack said:

Yes, yes and yes. It's a fantastic game and definitely worth the 7$. Single player is fun, multi player is a blast. You really can't go wrong at that price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
K.Jack said:
Nope, unless you are desperate for any singleplayer shooter and have beaten almost all currently available.

But just about any other singleplayer shooter is better than it.

Mr. Hyde

Will Battlefield BC2 run good on:
q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz
geforce 8800 gts g92
4 gigs ram win7-64bit
1920 x 1080 resolution

I've only played a bit of BC 1 on the 360 back when it came out, so I have no idea how these games run on PC.

Oh goddammit....

Deus Ex Collection: Get
Valve Complete Pack: Get

I can't run games such as L4D, but I can't really ignore 86% off so what the hell, why not.

fatty

Okay, PC version of FO3:GOTY it is then. Though I will attempt to play the first two games first, and try to start Fallout 1 in the next coming weeks.

Minsc, I need to start bookmarking all of these mods for classic games you keep listing. In the GOG thread I think you had ones for Planescape: Torment, BG1/2 and Icewind Dale.

rbenchley

fatty said:
Best scenario is to go for the PC version and hook your computer up to your TV. The Xbox 360 controller is fully supported, far superior graphics and you have a world of mods available. Also, aside from any official patches put out by Bethesda, there are unofficial patches put out by the community to clean up any bugs that Bethesda might have missed.

ultron87

I was hoping for Thief: Deadly Shadows to be like 2 dollars in a daily deal. Then I remembered I'd bought it already during some other sale but never played it.

Well played Steam.

Dave Long

Banned
Mr. Hyde said:
Will Battlefield BC2 run good on:
q6600 OC'd to 3.0ghz
geforce 8800 gts g92
4 gigs ram win7-64bit
1920 x 1080 resolution

I've only played a bit of BC 1 on the 360 back when it came out, so I have no idea how these games run on PC.
Here's the thing, when you've got more than one core and a decent graphics card from the last few years, you're going to be ok running a current game.

There are system requirements available on the game pages. Look at those and you'll see you're well above minimum for just about everything available on Steam.

This goes for everyone with this type of question. If you have a dual core or better processor and a decent graphics card, you're ok.

Dave Long

Banned
ultron87 said:
I was hoping for Thief: Deadly Shadows to be like 2 dollars in a daily deal. Then I remembered I'd bought it already during some other sale but never played it.

Well played Steam.
Ha!

I wasted either $2 or $4 on Deus Ex and Invisible War sometime in the past based on buying the S-E/Eidos pack last night. Fortunately those were the only things I already owned.

Ledsen

drizzle said:
So you're saying that your Steam account and Your CC information are matching, but you were in Japan using the Japanese store and you were able to buy stuff?

I'm saying that because Last Christmas (if memory serves me right), I bought the Crisys pack for 13,00 USDs on the US store, even tho I'm from Brazil and so is my CC Information. All I had to do was join through the cc=us website and buy it from there.

HOWEVER, a couple months after, when the Complete Rockstar collection went up for sale on a Weekend Deal or whatever, a friend of mine couldn't do it anymore. I had to ask somebody from GAF to gift him the game. Since them, I couldn't find a way to buy stuff from other regions, other than gifting.

BEFORE the Crhstimas Sale last year, all you had to do to enjoy US prices on the Brazillian store was change your Country (on your profile) to the United States. To counter that, I believe Steam started matching your profile information with the CC you supplied (it's been a while, so I don't quite remember the details).

If by "matching" you mean that my CC and account were the same ones I used in Sweden, then yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

LukeT

Neo Member
Is it worth buying Fallout 3 or wait for a daily deal on New Vegas? Played some Fallout 3 on 360 but got stuck and never went back.

Ledsen

LukeT said:
Is it worth buying Fallout 3 or wait for a daily deal on New Vegas? Played some Fallout 3 on 360 but got stuck and never went back.

NV is so buggy and screwed up right now for A LOT of people that I would honestly wait until next years christmas sale when modders have gone to work and the Unofficial Patch combined with New Vegas Script Extender has fixed most of the problems. Just get FO3 GOTY since that already has those things to fix it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LukeT said:
On the PC you can cheat and it's more fun that way. The game design is all about freedom and dicking around so you really don't ruin anything by messing with console commands. I got it for $25 and though I didn't like it at first, in the end I don't regret it.

LukeT

Neo Member
Ledsen said:
NV is so buggy and screwed up right now for A LOT of people that I would honestly wait until next years christmas sale when modders have gone to work and the Unofficial Patch combined with New Vegas Script Extender has fixed most of the problems. Just get FO3 GOTY since that already has those things to fix it.

So Fallout 3 then? is it worth the £13.39?

JoeBoy101

LukeT said:

As said, the Fallout 3 version for PC and 360 are worlds apart simply because of mods. The textures aren't that bad for Fallout, but there has been a complete re-texture pack done, including weapons. Companion mods. Extra perks. More homes to live in, etc.

Ydahs

OMG Super Meat Boy for sale! OMG I CAN'T FIND MY CC ;_;

Dare I charge it on my brother's credit card... no can't do that >_>

What are the chances of there being another sale this game on another day :(

poweld

Ydahs said:

There's a chance they'll bring it back on the last day. So... I'd say 5% chance?

krzy123

Ydahs said:

Last year from what i recall, the last day had a "best of" daily deals sale.

Caoz

OgTheClever said:
Oh goddammit....

Deus Ex Collection: Get
Valve Complete Pack: Get

I can't run games such as L4D, but I can't really ignore 86% off so what the hell, why not.

You sure you cant play em ? I played them on my laptop with an integrated graphics chipset while traveling.

I think the source engine runs on very low end specs.

Davedough

Its 2 more hours until the next games are revealed right? Picked up Bad Company 2 and FEAR Pack last night. I'm like a meth head needing a hit. COME ON GABE, HOOK A BRUTHA UP!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
poweld said:
There's a chance they'll bring it back on the last day. So... I'd say 5% chance?
I believe your calculations are wrong. The last day is usually a recap of some of the prior sales. So if we have 12 games a day, for 14 days, that's 168 games. (20 - Jan 1st).

Chances of another SuperMeatBoy sale is 1 out of 168.

yonder

So Civ 5 seems to be £20 here in the UK, but I wonder if I would even touch it until summer with this massive backlog I'm trying to clear... Man, I wonder if it would drop down lower before summer... Or maybe I should just buy Civ 4 instead...

*grumble*

Ydahs

poweld said:
krzy123 said:
Last year from what i recall, the last day had a "best of" daily deals sale.
So there's some hope. Some is better than none!

edit: drizzle with the kill

1-D_FTW

K.Jack said:

It's very pretty. But the best question is probably this: Do you like CoD? It seems scripted to an incredible degree. If you're a person who dislikes this game design, it's pretty awful. Maybe my initial impressions are just off. But that's the vibe I was getting.

poweld

drizzle said:
I believe your calculations are wrong. The last day is usually a recap of some of the prior sales. So if we have 12 games a day, for 14 days, that's 168 games. (20 - Jan 1st).

Chances of another SuperMeatBoy sale is 1 out of 168.
Yes, because the recap sale has always been only one game. Oh wait, no, I think it's been 1 game from each day. so 14/168. Or, you know, 8.3%. Sorry, I miscalculated.

D

edit: Not to mention that I'd be surprised if SMB wasn't the most popular sale for day 1. I believe they pulled back the most popular sales for the final day, so long as they still had a supply of keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom