• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
benjipwns said:
If anybody likes Advance Wars, there's this little clone of it called Future Wars that's on Steam for $2.50: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/

And I mean pretty much an exact clone down to "comic" characters, the different unit types (same ones under different designs and names), capturing cities and factories and HQ, etc. So if you wanted a PC version of Advance Wars this is pretty much one. Even has a map editor.

That said, there is no demo on Steam for this, but there is in fact one that the developer or some other publisher links to on their website: http://www.filefront.com/15873331/Future_Wars_Demo.zip/ (And they have no clue why Meridian4 won't put it up anywhere for them.)

I know the rule about non-daily deals but this is cheap enough I wonder if there would be one. Especially since despite it being 50% for $2.50 on Steam, on Impulse it's also 50% off but for $10. (They also appear to have the Impulse EXCLUSIVE MAPS up on their forum for free.)

But mostly I just wanted to give the heads up on the existence of a demo in case anyone had been interested before and were unsure.
!!

Even If this is a non-daily, at that price i don't think it will get any lower.
I LOVE Advance Wars, i will get this eventually, but ill hold until, maybe, it gets a daily deal treatment.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
drizzle said:
You're in Italy, thus, your IP is from Italy. However, your CC information is from the UK and your Steam profile says you are in the UK.

You can only buy things on Steam if your IP is from the country your Credit Card (or PayPal) info says you're from.

You can either use a .UK VPN to buy your shit or ask somebody on GAF to buy games for you. I'd recommend you send the money first, through paypal. There's a thread for such things. If you have an Italian Credit Card, you can change your information on your Steam account to match the CC's info and use it instead.

Alternatively, you can ask somebody to turn your computer at home on, remotely access it and buy it there.

wait, I'm going to be traveling abroad and visit a mate, but I was hoping to check the steam-site and buy things off there during the sale.

Do you mean I can't?

Mairu

SilverLunar said:
!!

I LOVE Advance Wars, i will get this eventually, but ill hold until, maybe, it gets a daily deal treatment.

Thanks for quoting this about Future Wars, game looks pretty rad (also loved advance wars). Adding to wishlist to remind myself if it doesn't get on a daily deal by the end of the sale.

Steam truly does do bad things to people. I'll never fully play everything that I have.

It's just to easy to buy stuff. For a retail store I have to go out in the cold and wait in line and stuff.

With steam it's just click click click and the damage has been done. It's made me buy things that there's no way I would have bought otherwise.

Minsc

Gold Member
Smash88 said:
I wouldn't call $9 off a sale. More like a joke.

$10 or less is what the price should be....

You're right the actual reduction is not that much, however $20 for Fallout 3 GOTY is a great deal regardless of % discounted (especially once it's combined with the Wanderers mod).

The DLC alone costs over 2x the price of that whole package i think (~$50 :lol ), and that's not even counting the price of the game.

Minamu

Bought so far:
SMB for me

Dad:
F1 2010
Portal

Mom:
Winterbottom
Amnesia :)lol)

The chances of them ever even booting these games up are slim as hell, but what the hell, they're cheap!

1-D_FTW

Rubezh said:
I'm very close to buying BC2+V but I just have a few questions before I do.

1. Is the player base more active on console or PC?
2. Is there any point buying this when BF3 will be out next year?

Right now I'm thinking this will be a filler for me until BF3, but at the reduced price it seems like an ok deal.

1.) I don't know how it compares, but in my one match yesterday there were plenty of servers to choose from.

2.) You can play it until BF3 comes out? If you have a system that can max the settings, it looks absolutely phenomenal. This is coming from somebody who detested the BC 2 beta's graphics when I was running it on my core2 e6750.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Corky said:
wait, I'm going to be traveling abroad and visit a mate, but I was hoping to check the steam-site and buy things off there during the sale.

Do you mean I can't?
Actually, all that I personally know is that you have to be accessing the store located on the same country as your CC information is from. (for instance, if your CC says you're from the US, you have to buy from the US store) Otherwise, every publisher would get screwed on the regional deals, as people would just go to the Steam website for the region that has the lowest price. For instance, Bad Company 2 is 6,50 dollars on the US store, 10 USDs in South American Stores.

Buying stuff from another store was common about a year ago. But then Steam patched in that security measure, to (for instance) prevent people from South America (with South American CC cards) to buy cheaper games from the US store.

I'm not sure in your (and the other dude) particular case (your CC is from the UK, and you're in a different region of the world). If you're in the UK also, you could try buying the game from the UK website, as opposed for the local Steam client on the PC in the country you're in: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

cc=us for the US store. There's a couple others, but those are the only ones i know off the top of my head.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would get BC2 but if I do, I may not be able to get Dragon Age Ultimate later on.

These sales can hurt if you have hard limits.

Akia said:
I'm really shocked at the amount of replies this thread has gotten so far on Day 1.

Man PC-GAF has grown!

Oh you play these games on a PC? I just thought it was like an adult version of Pokémon and we were competing to see who could collect all the Steams first. :(:(

Fireflu

Christ that is annoying... well i actually think the last option you suggested may be the best, as long as i am able to do it via team viewer and cross platform (mac here to pc at home). Shame im here til the sale ends :/

I wish steam/valve made the purchasing process more flexable for people who regularly travel abroad. I understand the reasons for these precautions is probably due to hacking/piracy protection purposes and such but goddamn it none the less.

Dave Long

Banned
I put $100 on my Steam wallet and bought BFBC2 and the Square-Enix/EIDOS pack. $18 left to mess with through the end of the sale. Works for me. There isn't much else I don't own on Steam that I'm looking at buying anyway.

That S-E/Eidos pack is a ridiculous value.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Chriswok said:
Oh you play these games on a PC? I just thought it was like an adult version of Pokémon and we were competing to see who could collect all the Steams first. :(:(
I CHOOSE YOU, City of Heroes Going Rogue Complete Collection!

webrunner

I got a few friends of mine SMB, VVVVVV and Winterbottom. Merry Chrismasocore! (okay, Winterbottom isn't but it's more of a stocking stuffer to the rest of the package)

stuminus3

The more I think about it, the more extremely disappointed I am at Activison for not getting in on the Steam sale action. I guess that's the consumer's fault, with BlOps sitting right there in the best sellers at full price in the middle of all the deals that cost a faction of the price, but it's a dick move either way. There's a fair chunk of their titles I'm itching to open my wallet for, but there's no chance in hell I'm going to bother if every other publisher, from major to indie, offers a library that's just as good or better at a fraction of the price.

Just noticed the ghost of Atari aren't offering anything in the sale either. That one's kind of odd, their games are on sale all the time.

I hope this is just temporary and they'll do crazy offers on a daily deal or something.

Loxley

SilverLunar said:
!!

As Mairu said, thanks for quoting that post, sooooo bought (huge fan of Advance Wars) :D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dave Long said:
I put $100 on my Steam wallet and bought BFBC2 and the Square-Enix/EIDOS pack. $18 left to mess with through the end of the sale. Works for me. There isn't much else I don't own on Steam that I'm looking at buying anyway.

That S-E/Eidos pack is a ridiculous value.

Make sure you play Hitman: Blood Money

Dave Long

Banned
stuminus3 said:
The more I think about it, the more extremely disappointed I am at Activison for not getting in on the Steam sale action. I guess that's the consumer's fault, with BlOps sitting right there in the best sellers at full price in the middle of all the deals that cost a faction of the price, but it's a dick move either way. There's a fair chunk of their titles I'm itching to open my wallet for, but there's no chance in hell I'm going to bother if every other publisher, from major to indie, offers a library that's just as good or better at a fraction of the price.

Just noticed the ghost of Atari aren't offering anything in the sale either. That one's kind of odd, their games are on sale all the time.

I hope this is just temporary and they'll do crazy offers on a daily deal or something.
I'll bet Activision will be in the daily deals.

Cheech

Bought Reccetear last night.

Booted it up, thought I made a horrible mistake. Looked like a Japanese kids' game.

6 hours later, at 2 am, I forced myself to save and go to bed. Damn am I tired. But what a great game. Revised my GOTY list.

Corky

drizzle said:
Actually, all that I personally know is that you have to be accessing the store located on the same country as your CC information is from. (for instance, if your CC says you're from the US, you have to buy from the US store) Otherwise, every publisher would get screwed on the regional deals, as people would just go to the Steam website for the region that has the lowest price. For instance, Bad Company 2 is 6,50 dollars on the US store, 10 USDs in South American Stores.

Buying stuff from another store was common about a year ago. But then Steam patched in that security measure, to (for instance) prevent people from South America (with South American CC cards) to buy cheaper games from the US store.

I'm not sure in your (and the other dude) particular case (your CC is from the UK, and you're in a different region of the world). If you're in the UK also, you could try buying the game from the UK website, as opposed for the local Steam client on the PC in the country you're in: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

cc=us for the US store. There's a couple others, but those are the only ones i know off the top of my head.

Hmm ok

Here's the deal though, I live in sweden so I guess when I buy stuff I'm buying things from the UK store ( right? ) but I'm travelling TO the UK so I guess that shouldn't really be problem right?

Though I've learned that logic doesn't always point you to the right answers :(

Dave Long

Banned
D4Danger said:
Make sure you play Hitman: Blood Money
I'm pretty much stocking up for 2011 so me playing that is likely. I don't plan to buy more than a game a month next year... at the most. I have way too much stuff to play as it is.

Ledsen

drizzle said:

That's not true. When I was in Japan I had no problems buying games with my Swedish VISA. I do think you have to buy from your local store though (as determined by your IP adress).

edit: This was during last years christmas sale though so they may have changed it?

Corky said:
Hmm ok

Here's the deal though, I live in sweden so I guess when I buy stuff I'm buying things from the UK store ( right? ) but I'm travelling TO the UK so I guess that shouldn't really be problem right?

Though I've learned that logic doesn't always point you to the right answers :(

No, you're buying from the Euro store. The UK store uses pounds as currency.

Jirotrom

benjipwns said:
If anybody likes Advance Wars, there's this little clone of it called Future Wars that's on Steam for $2.50: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/

And I mean pretty much an exact clone down to "comic" characters, the different unit types (same ones under different designs and names), capturing cities and factories and HQ, etc. So if you wanted a PC version of Advance Wars this is pretty much one. Even has a map editor.

That said, there is no demo on Steam for this, but there is in fact one that the developer or some other publisher links to on their website: http://www.filefront.com/15873331/Future_Wars_Demo.zip/ (And they have no clue why Meridian4 won't put it up anywhere for them.)

I know the rule about non-daily deals but this is cheap enough I wonder if there would be one. Especially since despite it being 50% for $2.50 on Steam, on Impulse it's also 50% off but for $10. (They also appear to have the Impulse EXCLUSIVE MAPS up on their forum for free.)

But mostly I just wanted to give the heads up on the existence of a demo in case anyone had been interested before and were unsure.
I hate you!

Loxley

Dave Long said:
I'll bet Activision will be in the daily deals.

Yeah, I wouldn't count them out completely. It seems much more like them to say "You want us to do what? Lower our prices for two weeks? Ugh...alright, fine. Put our games on sale, but for two whole weeks? Hell fucking no. You think Call of Duty servers just grow on trees? Yeah, we're only in for that "daily deal" shit you guys do, make sure it's, like, the last day of the sale though. Can you do that? Thanks Gabby or whatever the hell your name is."

Corky

Ledsen said:
That's not true. When I was in Japan I had no problems buying games with my Swedish VISA.

No, you're buying from the Euro store. The UK store uses pounds as currency.

Does this mean I can buy things from steam while staying in the UK ( with my swedish visa )?

thanks

slamskank

Minamu said:
Mom:
Winterbottom
Amnesia :)lol)

The chances of them ever even booting these games up are slim as hell, but what the hell, they're cheap!
You are hilarious! Great gag gift, hope she has a strong heart.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
wmat said:
It is one of the best games of forever.

ijusthadsexfeat.akon727mgy.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Rubezh said:
I'm very close to buying BC2+V but I just have a few questions before I do.

1. Is the player base more active on console or PC?
2. Is there any point buying this when BF3 will be out next year?

Right now I'm thinking this will be a filler for me until BF3, but at the reduced price it seems like an ok deal.
1) Its about the same, PC is more active than the PS3, probably about the same as the 360. You won't have any trouble finding games.
2) BF3 probably won't be out till next fall/winter. Its probably going to be very similar to BC2 in terms of mechanics so you can consider BC2 a very early paid demo.

Fireflu said:
3 days now and nothing but this:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

!!! nooooo! i have about 10 items in my cart im desperate to get (3 of them will expire when the sale ends for today). Im not sure what is causing this problem, i set my account up in the UK and am currently staying in Italy (which for some reason has caused all the prices on the steam site to show up as dollars!?). Surely this wont prevent me from completing a purchase. Im trying to use paypal btw (also tried visa but no success there).

Valve do you not want my money?? heeeeelp : (

If i cant get this fixed i would be very grateful if someone could get the oddboxx and super meat boy for me and i would pay them back. Sending money and such through paypal seems to be working fine (which makes this problem all the stranger).

Try
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

Corky said:

Do you mean I can't?

Send a ticket to support. https://support.steampowered.com/index.php
Tell them that your bank/cc/whatever is registered in country X, but that you are currently abroad in country Y. If they see that have have logged unto Steam from country Y, they can remove restrictions and allow you to complete payment. Worked for me last year.

Their reply
Hello X, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Our records indicate that your purchase was declined due to your current IP address differing from what is on file with your billing information. We have removed the lock on your account - you will now be able to purchase additional subscriptions. Additionally, please try your purchase again by launching Internet Explorer or Firefox and using this link: Osmos: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29180/?cc=nl

coopolon

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah. I want Singularity!

It's $20 on Direct2Drive right now. And they have the price guarantee, so if Steam puts it on sale for less, you'll get the difference in Direct2Drive credit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Activision is so evil, I love it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ledsen said:
That's not true. When I was in Japan I had no problems buying games with my Swedish VISA. I do think you have to buy from your local store though (as determined by your IP adress).

edit: This was during last years christmas sale though so they may have changed it?

So you're saying that your Steam account and Your CC information are matching, but you were in Japan using the Japanese store and you were able to buy stuff?

I'm saying that because Last Christmas (if memory serves me right), I bought the Crisys pack for 13,00 USDs on the US store, even tho I'm from Brazil and so is my CC Information. All I had to do was join through the cc=us website and buy it from there.

HOWEVER, a couple months after, when the Complete Rockstar collection went up for sale on a Weekend Deal or whatever, a friend of mine couldn't do it anymore. I had to ask somebody from GAF to gift him the game. Since them, I couldn't find a way to buy stuff from other regions, other than gifting.

BEFORE the Crhstimas Sale last year, all you had to do to enjoy US prices on the Brazillian store was change your Country (on your profile) to the United States. To counter that, I believe Steam started matching your profile information with the CC you supplied (it's been a while, so I don't quite remember the details).

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask but with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 that I got yesterday (UK) in the sale whenever I go into the server browser and the select different options most of the time it just freezes for 3 seconds and then crashes without any indication afterwards. It's just as if it were a window and you just closed it after it froze for 3 seconds. I haven't been able to play any multiplayer yet so please help.

Corky

OmegaDragon said:
Try
Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

Send a ticket to support. https://support.steampowered.com/index.php
Tell them that your bank/cc/whatever is registered in country X, but that you are currently abroad in country Y. If they see that have have logged unto Steam from country Y, they can remove restrictions and allow you to complete payment. Worked for me last year.

Their reply

thanks man but I'm having bollocks trouble trying to log on to a fucking account sheesh....

I can't logon using my regular steam account ( obviously ) but when I try to create a fucking steam support account I get :

" There is already an account with this username. If you have previously registered support, please Login
Your email address "

erhm... ok? So I try to log on, but to no avail, I ask for a password retrieve but they can't find an account connected to my mail/username, WHAT?!

edit : nvm, worst worst form ever....

ashbash159 said:
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask but with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 that I got yesterday (UK) in the sale whenever I go into the server browser and the select different options most of the time it just freezes for 3 seconds and then crashes without any indication afterwards. It's just as if it were a window and you just closed it after it froze for 3 seconds. I haven't been able to play any multiplayer yet so please help.

Check if punkbuster is being allowed through your firewall.

god i hope I can at least keep myself from double dipping
today at least
even if a sale is extremely tempting.. so many games I actually don't have on another system that I'd love to own

Corky

erhm, is the steam-support realtime? I just submitted my question and a chat-esque interface popped up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom