• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting inside my basket are:

- 2d Indie Bundle
- Super Meat Boy

I've got a P4 3.2Ghz with a Radeon X850...so there's no Shader 3.0, still good enough for Super Meat Boy or should I pass?

dwebo

Hmm, I didn't know you could purchase from their website now.

Well, guess there's no reason not to get Super Meat Boy then :lol

Smash88

Banned
Sidewinder said:

- 2d Indie Bundle
- Super Meat Boy

I've got a P4 3.2Ghz with a Radeon X850...so there's no Shader 3.0, still good enough for Super Meat Boy or should I pass?

Processor: 1.2GHz processor
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Graphics: Graphics Card that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 and Vertex Shader 2.0(Vertex Shader Support can be supported with software emulation)
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 300 MB
Controller Support: Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller or Direct Input compatible controller

You should be good. Those are the minimum requirements.

I hope you upgrade your computer in the near future, so many great deals, you are going to be kicking yourself for missing out on the experience of them on the PC.

clav

Snuggler said:
I hate to be that guy, but who here hasn't bought VVVVVV? It's 2.50, you're straight up thieving that shit at that price.

I'm just spreading the good word. Unless you hate things that are good, it's worth the price of a loaf of bread.
I haven't, but I think I'll end up buying the 2D indie pack which includes that + more.

I'm hesitating because I don't like having games sitting in my Steam box (i.e. Beat Hazard) as I have severe buyer's remorse despite what I paid for those. Forever I have to stare at seeing shitty games in my box.

Toki Tori for $1.25. Hm... Isn't this on phones? I feel I'll save my purchase then. Makes more sense that way.

How is Galcon Fusion? The trailer looks boring. Geometry Wars I own for the 360. Super Laser Racer is also ho hum.

Bullet Candy and VVVVVV are the only two are appealing, but Bullet Candy looks like a Geometry Wars wannabe.

Grayman

Forkball said:
Played Super Meat Boy for about an hour. I'm in World 2-2. I must have spent about twenty minutes on the first boss. The boss is hard, but not cheap. It's nothing like I Wanna Be the Guy. Every time you die, you know why. You'll still curse, but mostly at yourself and not at the game. It's a blast so far, but I know I will never beat it. And the achievements are insane.
In IWBTG I know why I die every time, the game fucking hates me.

Beth Cyra

Hoping Crysis and Warhead get daily deals same with Vampire TMC.

Already picked up the THQ pack and have most of Valve's games so I can't think of anything else to really be on the look out for.

Dreavus

Sidewinder said:

- 2d Indie Bundle
- Super Meat Boy

This is what I'm aiming for too! You must have excellent taste. Picked up SMB but plan on waiting out the 2D bundle in case it goes on a daily sale.

Also, steam having this sale directly following the treasure hunt sale is pure malevolence.

Darklord

Banned
I have a question. Can I hold on to gift items? I want to buy 2 copies of a game to send to friends for christmas but I want to send it like on Friday. Can I hold onto them or do I have to send it right away?

benjipwns

Banned
If anybody likes Advance Wars, there's this little clone of it called Future Wars that's on Steam for $2.50: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/

And I mean pretty much an exact clone down to "comic" characters, the different unit types (same ones under different designs and names), capturing cities and factories and HQ, etc. So if you wanted a PC version of Advance Wars this is pretty much one. Even has a map editor.

That said, there is no demo on Steam for this, but there is in fact one that the developer or some other publisher links to on their website: http://www.filefront.com/15873331/Future_Wars_Demo.zip/ (And they have no clue why Meridian4 won't put it up anywhere for them.)

I know the rule about non-daily deals but this is cheap enough I wonder if there would be one. Especially since despite it being 50% for $2.50 on Steam, on Impulse it's also 50% off but for $10. (They also appear to have the Impulse EXCLUSIVE MAPS up on their forum for free.)

But mostly I just wanted to give the heads up on the existence of a demo in case anyone had been interested before and were unsure.

Majeh

Darklord said:
I have a question. Can I hold on to gift items? I want to buy 2 copies of a game to send to friends for christmas but I want to send it like on Friday. Can I hold onto them or do I have to send it right away?

I think someone answered this before, you can send it to yourself (an alternate email address) and just forward it to them when you want to.

seady

As a PC game noob (except FPS), I am wondering if you guys all play these games with keyboard+mouse?

Edit : I am thinking about games like Super Meat Boy (even though I already have it on 360 I want to get it again :p)

clav

seady said:
As a PC game noob (except FPS), I am wondering if you guys all play these games with keyboard+mouse?
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver makes a lot of these indie arcade games playable.

I think I'll go ahead and purchase the 2D indie pack in the morning. Going to bed now.

Smash88

Banned
seady said:

Most games, there are a few exceptions you play with a 360 controller/PS3 controller. For example, Super Meat Boy plays a lot better with a controller, since you can adjust the amount of movement you do with a joystick than keyboard keys. There are a few other games that benefit from a 360 controller, but honestly it comes down to your personal preference with the game in question.

Darklord said:

Send them to your email and then when you're ready to send it to them, just forward the email or the link.

Darklord

Banned
Majeh said:
I think someone answered this before, you can send it to yourself (an alternate email address) and just forward it to them when you want to.

LovingSteam said:
Send them to your email and then when you're ready to send it to them, just forward the email or the link.

Oh cool. I thought you had to send it to a steam ID, not an email address. Thanks.

I want to buy mount and blade, but a couple questions:
any point in buying the bundle, or is it best to just grab warband?
should I hold off the purchase until the end of the promotion in case there's a daily deal?

Dreavus said:
This is what I'm aiming for too! You must have excellent taste. Picked up SMB but plan on waiting out the 2D bundle in case it goes on a daily sale.

Well thank you Sir, right back at you!
Just went through with Super Meat Boy, will proceed the same way with the 2d bundle as you. I'm actually only interested in Geometry Wars and VVVV.

Alright, I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything this year, but I already have:

Super Meatboy (and I already own this...)
Winterbottom (50 cents is waaaaaay too good a deal to pass up)
and MEVO AND GROOVERIDERS! (I have been looking foward for a sale for this game for ages, if it is as good as the demo, it is a fun little music game with a good soundtrack)

Hylian7

I'm really on the fence about Bad Company 2. If I buy, should I expect something more like BF2/1942 or something more like BF2: Modern Combat/Call of Duty with vehicles?

Dynoro

fredrancour said:
I want to buy mount and blade, but a couple questions:
any point in buying the bundle, or is it best to just grab warband?
should I hold off the purchase until the end of the promotion in case there's a daily deal?
Just grab warband (I think it includes everything from the original) but wait for a daily deal as its bound to get one

Shaneus

I love all the "I wasn't going to buy any games this sale but I caved and bought everything that was discounted by 5% or more within the first hour of the sale" comments. Denial just makes it worse :lol

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. The second is succumbing to it :D

Smash88

Banned
G9Aph.jpg

:lol

deleted

So far:

PoP 2008
VVVVVV
and Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

Still searching for someone who could buy BC2 for me.

And I plan on picking up some gifts as I already own the games and think everyone should play these:
Super Meat Boy
P.B. Winterbottom

Is there going to be a recommendation by genre post or thread, stupid as that sounds?

Also, I'm scared on pulling the trigger on any budget indie title that isn't $1 or less for fear that it might end up as part of another indie pack.

Darklord

Banned
If I buy Bad Company 2: Vietnam on steam can I just use the activation code and not need to boot up steam every time I switch to the expansion when playing?

Only Super Meat Boy so far. Was intially going to get it when it came out but decided to wait for the Christmas sales.
Very much thinking of picking up Bad Company 2 for cheap, but may just by Vietnam instead. Convince me to part with my money Gaf.
Other games I'm on the look out for include Mirror's Edge and maybe some others depending on what comes up for sale. Am trying to limit myself to games that I will actually play rather than building up a nice backlog of games.

aeolist

Banned
droppedbear said:
Only Super Meat Boy so far. Was intially going to get it when it came out but decided to wait for the Christmas sales.
Very much thinking of picking up Bad Company 2 for cheap, but may just by Vietnam instead. Convince me to part with my money Gaf.
Other games I'm on the look out for include Mirror's Edge and maybe some others depending on what comes up for sale. Am trying to limit myself to games that I will actually play rather than building up a nice backlog of games.
Vietnam requires BC2 to play

Snuggler said:
Yeah, even though I don't even have a 360 anymore, I'll be buying a wired controller for my PC. It seems like it'll save me from a lot of bullshit since trying to accomplish the same thing with my ps3 dualshock would be a pain.

Its really not difficult these days, since the MotionJoy drivers are now signed. Just install the MotionJoy drivers, enable 360 controller emulation and away you go. Every game you play will just assume you're playing with a 360 pad, meaning damn near every modern release that supports a pad will autoconfigure the controls for you.

faceless007 said:
Just the 2 new Oddworld games and PoP 2008. I'm going to make it my goal to resist a few titles every day, so I only buy games I really want to see in my library unplayed for months on end.

Resisted today: FEAR 2 and PoP: Forgotten Something. Tempting but I still have the first entries unplayed.

Oh dear!

Hope you're the only one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia
Magnetis
LEGO Batman
Titan Quest Gold
Indie Future Pack
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition

Total Today: $30.43

Only had a chance to try Magnetis, unless I can find a way to fix filled and messed up rows, the game sucks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You know, it's kind of ridiculous that Steam still autopauses your downloads when you launch a game.

"Hey this download is going to take 4 hours, I wonder what I can do to kill some time..."

Oh I don't know, MAYBE PLAY A FUCKING GAME.

I know about the Alt+Tab pause then resume trick, but this really is unacceptable given the client has been around for 6 god damned years at this point.

the_concierge said:
Anyone else having trouble running Sands of Time on their Windows 7 64 bit system? The graphics on mine are entirely obscured by blue fog.

It's GPU, not Windows. Disable Fog in game, or go to Steam forums - there's sticky how to edit INI to keep the fog.

Dynoro

brain_stew said:
Oh dear!

Hope you're the only one.
Shame you didn't enjoy it - I really liked that version of PoP though at times the platforming was just a rhythm game dressed up as action

I'm tempted to get mass effect 2 at that price. Does anyone know if ME2 running on a GTX 260 would look noticeably better than on a 360, or would they look about the same? I'm a total noob about this stuff.

SmokyDave

This is my first Steam Xmas sale and I'm as happy as a pig in shit. So far I've bought the Deus Ex pack (£1.49!), two of the indie bundles, PB Winterbottom and Bluesomething Garden.

I can see me buying that 2K pack shortly.

Xamdou

Just bought BFBC2 for $6.79. I'll bite on it's expansion if it becomes a daily deal!

All I am looking forward to for the upcoming daily deals are:

1. Mass Effect 2 + All DLC bundle.
2. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Platinum
3. Jade Empire: Special Edition.
4. Darksiders.
5. COD: BLOPS (Highly doubt it but I'll keep my expectations low for this).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Trent Strong said:
I'm tempted to get mass effect 2 at that price. Does anyone know if ME2 running on a GTX 260 would look noticeably better than on a 360, or would they look about the same? I'm a total noob about this stuff.

It would look mountains better. A GTX 260 stomps the everloving shit out of a 360 GPU.

Darklord

Banned
Trent Strong said:

I have a 260. Looks WAAAAAAAAY better. Also loads very quickly on PC compared to slow on 360.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brain_stew said:
Its really not difficult these days, since the MotionJoy drivers are now signed. Just install the MotionJoy drivers, enable 360 controller emulation and away you go. Every game you play will just assume you're playing with a 360 pad, meaning damn near every modern release that supports a pad will autoconfigure the controls for you.

Cool. I'll give it a shot first, I would definitely appreciate having the dualshock as my go to pad since it fits me well, I'm so used to it. I would love to use it for Dead Rising 2 and others.

anyways, t'is almost bedtime, I can't wait to wake up and see all the deals for tomorrow even though I can't do most of them...but if there are some good ones, I'll probably have to sell some stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom