• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
casualty report :

RE5
Burnout
Lara croft
Witcher x 2 ( x 3 even, bought it for a mate aswell )
oh and that stupid PoP 2008

Leatherface

Just watched a video of the Tomb Raider game and was pleasantly surprised. Was not expecting that sort of game play at all. Looks awesome. Purchase +1

teiresias

Grimm Fandango said:
If I had to choose between the Witcher and Dragon Age, what should I go with? I greatly enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, KOTOR, and Mass Effect.

From the little I've played of Witcher (and from what I've READ - never played - about Dragon Age), it seems like Witcher is much more like Diablo in the combat sense, and Dragon Age is more tactical (at least on the PC version). That probably would drive your decision. Personally, I think Witcher's world and mood feels more unique and interesting than Dragon Age. I'll play both eventually though.

1-D_FTW

$8.75 - Men of War: Gold Edition

$3.60 - Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

$4.99 - Tomb Raider: Anniversary

$5.00 - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut

Total damage for the day = 22.34.

And I'm now officially part of that group. I had to look in my library to see if I owned The Polynomial. I did.:lol

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up 2 copies of Lara Croft for $3.60 apiece so I can play coop with my son, also two copies of Puzzle Quest for both of us, and The Witcher for myself, been waiting for that one.

So far in for $42.88 for the 2 days. Not too bad. Then again we're only into the 2nd day of this. I'm kind of scared.

So far:

Super Meat Boy x3
Lara Croft x2
Puzzle Quest x2
Winterbottom x3
Oddboxx
The Witcher
Caster
Blueberry Garden
Magnetis
Indie 2D Pack

scitek

I bought Burnout Paradise again. I already beat the shit out of it on PS3, but it's been a couple of years. I love that game.

Artofwar420 said:
If anyone doesn't have Defense Grid and is the least bit interested in Tower Defense games, GET IT NAO.
fresquito said:
Everybody should buy Defense Grid. Seriously, if you don't buy it, you don't deserve to be called a gamer!
Wallach said:
Defense Grid is fucking great, buy that shit.
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Defense Grid is one of the best tower defense games I've ever played. Get on that.
dani_dc said:
Got Defense Grid during the Thanksgiving sales and the game is great.
gregor7777 said:
Defense Grid is without any hyperbole the best game in the TD genre on any platform.
It's an absolute steal at $2.00. I've put like 30+ hours into it already, and it has awesome DLC (some free).
bestami said:
Buy Defense Grid people. It is awesome.

Figured I'd do a little marketing for Defense Grid. We need to make sure there is a sequel.

In case anyone was wondering if it was good. :lol

Nabs

1-D_FTW said:
$8.75 - Men of War: Gold Edition

$3.60 - Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

$4.99 - Tomb Raider: Anniversary

$5.00 - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut

Total damage for the day = 22.34.

And I'm now officially part of that group. I had to look in my library to see if I owned The Polynomial. I did.:lol
:lol

Mr_Zombie

On the front page it says that if you own "any Tomb Raider game" then Lara Croft & tGoL should be -76% (that is 3.60 euro). Well I do own Tomb Raider Legend, as well as LC&tGoL and when I want to buy the game for a friend it says that it's 5.10 euro :/

Krakn3Dfx

scitek said:
I bought Burnout Paradise again. I already beat the shit out of it on PS3, but it's been a couple of years. I love that game.

It's just too bad they screwed PC owners and never released Big Surf Isle for us.

I have it on the PS3, but I refuse to buy it on the PC at any price.

zsswimmer

I bought Bad Company 2 for my laptop. It runs smoothly on high settings for about 3 minutes and then drops to 5fps :(. I even tried lower settings and lower res but it still happens, right on cue.

Salaadin

Today was the day.

The day I beat Steam.

I dont want half the games on sale and the other half I already own.

Like a fool, I ask gaf if I should double dip on Lara Croft GoL.

And now I just bought it.

Screw you, gaf. Screw you all.
I love you :)

Wallach

Grimm Fandango said:
Eh let's say price isn't a factor.

Personally I would still vote for The Witcher. They're not terribly similar games in their core design though, as The Witcher is a bit more linear, isn't party-based and the combat is more action-oriented than Dragon Age. I would say that The Witcher has a much better plot but (in the English translation) worse dialogue, and in terms of the engine obviously doesn't stand up that well especially since it is running on a very modified (and rickety) version of Aurora.

I'm already regretting not buying BFBC2 yesterday, but I have to stay strong and remember rent/car payment/Christmas shopping has already Gabed my Wallet.

Sanjay

Chriswok said:
Men of War looks like Company of Heroes. Is this basic visual judgement call accurate?

Its nothing like COH. MOW is pure hardcore, you control your troops on a major field, you have to pick up ammo from dead soldiers as everything is limited and there is no real resource management. You move your troops around to win the war basically, its what you do with your troops as opposed to building an army like with traditional RTS games.

Daigoro

Sipowicz said:
they can suck my cock then. i was just about to buy it as well

your loss. the game is stunning looking and runs like a dream on PC.

Chriswok said:
Men of War looks like Company of Heroes. Is this basic visual judgement call accurate?

well, its an RTS, so theres that.

MOW is an amazing and deep game. COH is a great game, but i think MOW tops it for a lot of reasons.

webrunner

Salaadin said:
Today was the day.

The day I beat Steam.

I dont want half the games on sale and the other half I already own.

Like a fool, I ask gaf if I should double dip on Lara Croft GoL.

And now I just bought it.

Screw you, gaf. Screw you all.
I love you :)

That wouldn't be beating steam, that's just steam having pre-beat you before:p

Artofwar420

Dambrosi said:
Hold on, guys. All yesterday's Daily Deals are still discounted.

I thought it might just be a misprint, but I went to Super Meat Boy's page to confirm, and it's now 50% off. As are FEAR Complete, Deus Ex Collection and Titan Quest Gold, with a lot of others at 25% off too.

So it looks as if, even if you miss the Daily Deals, all is not lost! A much better way of doing things than last time, IMO.

They were there for like 10 minutes, but they're higher priced on my side now. I think it's something that is slowly switched so that people that are buying them right when the time expires don't get screwed midway through the process.

I just wouldn't play with fire like that.

Chriswok said:

You'll have to micromanage alot more(too much).
You can directly control your troops/armor.
Projectile physics and armor react more realistic.
It's not as polished.

nexen

Minsc said:
It's really not! Witcher's story is so much better than Dragon Age, though I guess the combat could make or break it. If you hate the fighting in Witcher, Dragon Age is probably better. I found the combat in The Witcher enjoyable, so there's no contest Witcher >>> Dragon Age (which got very boring toward the end while The Witcher got very interesting towards the end).[/B]
Witcher's story was good, but I enjoyed the story in Dragon Age as well. DA:O is far more traditional so I can see why people prefer Witcher's. A breath of fresh air, really.
But the combat in Dragon Age was absolutely phenomenal (not as good as TOEE, but definitely the best of recent RPG games) whereas combat in Witcher was extremely annoying.

For me, Dragon Age > Witcher. I felt like a Medieval SWAT team in DA:O.

Oh and the VO for that gumshoe guy in the city in Witcher made me want to drive an icepick into my ear. Uuuugh.

teiresias said:
From the little I've played of Witcher (and from what I've READ - never played - about Dragon Age), it seems like Witcher is much more like Diablo in the combat sense, and Dragon Age is more tactical (at least on the PC version). That probably would drive your decision. Personally, I think Witcher's world and mood feels more unique and interesting than Dragon Age. I'll play both eventually though.
This sums it up quite nicely, in my opinion. I'd add that DA:O is a little more polished as well.

Nabs

Mr_Zombie said:
On the front page it says that if you own "any Tomb Raider game" then Lara Croft & tGoL should be -76% (that is 3.60 euro). Well I do own Tomb Raider Legend, as well as LC&tGoL and when I want to buy the game for a friend it says that it's 5.10 euro :/
maybe your friend has to own it

benjipwns

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Figured I'd do a little marketing for Defense Grid. We need to make sure there is a sequel.

In case anyone was wondering if it was good. :lol
Godspeed. Game almost has a perfect demo too.
xyla said:
Hows Iron Grip: Warlord ?
The Four Pack looks mighty attractive.
Look on this page and the last.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MetatronM said:
I have a retail copy of The Witcher, but I wonder if it's worth double dipping on to have it on Steam.

Hmm...I must ponder this.

Definitely grabbing Burnout, though. The holiday bonus check I just got today at work isn't helping to curb my spending. :lol
Holiday bonuses might as well be renamed "Steam Holiday Sale Bonuses"

coopolon

Sorry, I'm out of my 4 pack, but 3 additional people already pm'ed me, so there's definitely room for another 4 pack for someone else to organize.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Grimm Fandango said:
If I had to choose between the Witcher and Dragon Age, what should I go with? I greatly enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, KOTOR, and Mass Effect.
1) In combat do you prefer focusing mainly on one person in a more shallow yet free-flowing style, or balancing multiple people with frequent pausing and more strategy?
2) Do you prefer jumping between focused locations, or running around an open world?
3) Do you prefer kicking the ass of generic characters, or having to deal with more interesting yet whiny/racist bitches mostly through dialogue?
4) How important is the overarching narrative to you vs the characters who are going through it?

Minsc

Gold Member
Grimm Fandango said:

Get the Witcher, its sequel looks much better, and is due out in under 6 months and you can import your character to it.

For me Dragon Age was really great at first, then kinda boring towards the end, got too repetitive. The Witcher is generally amazing throughout, gets a bit slow in the middle, but really picks up nicely at the end.

Steam Sale Day 2.
The little guy made it through relatively unscathed yesterday. I see my wallet like the stomach wounded solider from Saving private Ryan. Desperately grabbing at its innards trying to put them away, but failing. Its going to be rough.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question on Men of War

I currently have their online beta and enjoyed the bit I played. But I know nothing about the series, is the new online beta going be a free update for these two if I purchase it now?

Anyways, tempted for LC and MoW, and downloading indie demo now ^_^

bm1616

I had to buy Ultimate Box, it would be rude NOT to buy it when it's that cheap right?

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box: $5

Today's Total: $5

Overall Total: $9.73

Grimm Fandango said:

Why not just get both? The Witcher at $5 is like sales tax if you buy Dragon Age.

I was so happy when I got to the checkout and saw that I owned another tomb Raider game. It's probably a bad sign that I didn't know beforehand and I'm still not sure which other TR game I own but hell I saved $1.50!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
75% off the Witcher, now we're talking. That and Lara Croft are all for today, hm, I just might escape this sale with just over $100 spent :lol

nexen

Dice said:
2) Do you prefer jumping between focused locations, or running around an open world?

I don't get this one. Neither Witcher nor DA:O are open world. You get a choice of several locations from a map in DA:O fairly early but it is still focused locations and an (almost) linear path from start to finish with a smattering of sidequests. There is one branch point, iirc, but even that was like only 3 choices of location.

I'd so buy RE5 if we could get the fucking DLC too. Game must be a fucking blast in 3D.

Just Lara for me today. I own most everything else. :lol Not interested in Bioshock 2 or Aion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom