• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

So, Burnout. I pretty much hate driving games (and driving in real life, for that matter). Is there any chance that I might still like it?

Corto

Chriswok said:
Men of War looks like Company of Heroes. Is this basic visual judgement call accurate?

The WWII setting is the same but the similitudes end there. First let me say that both are great, excellent games. CoH is more streamlined (not dumbed down :lol ) there's not so much micromanagement as in MoW, the attention to detail in MoW can be almost overwhelming each individual unit has an inventory, and you can have direct control of each individual unit turning the game into a shooter with only a keystroke! Buy it and spend some time with it to learn it and you will be rewarded.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bm1616 said:
I had to buy Ultimate Box, it would be rude NOT to buy it when it's that cheap right?

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box: $5

Today's Total: $5

Overall Total: $9.73

that's how I rationalize everything

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
drizzle said:
Burnout for 5 bucks! Too bad i already have it off steam. Damn.... Should i buy it just to have it registered on Steam?

I don't have any Lara Croft Games. What happens if somebody that has a lara croft game gifts it to me? Do I get it for the cheaper price?
I just gifted it to email and got the discount because I have Underworld, so yeah you can gift it at the cheaper price if you have another game.

cicero

I was hoping the $2 Defense Grid sale meant that the DLC map packs were like $.25 cents each or something. Still at $1 for four map packs. At least packed in with the game and averaged out they are back down to last year's $.50 glitch price.

benjipwns

Banned
hiryu said:
We'll see if I can resist Defense Grid
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US
cicero said:
I was hoping the $2 Defense Grid sale meant that the DLC map packs were like $.25 cents each or something. Still at $1 for four map packs. At least packed in with the game and averaged out they are back down to last year's $.50 glitch price.
$6 for all of it is still literally piracy!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nexen said:
I don't get this one. Neither Witcher nor DA:O are open world. You get a choice of several locations from a map in DA:O fairly early but it is still focused locations and an (almost) linear path from start to finish with a smattering of sidequests. There is one branch point, iirc, but even that was like only 3 choices of location.
You do about 100x more running back and forth in The Witcher.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sysgen said:
Not according to the Steam forums.

According to a few GAF impression it's worth grabbing if you liked to the second:

Draft said:
Disciples III got put aside for SC2, but from what I played, it's Disciples II with a different (and based on my short time, more engaging) battle system.

I like it, and I am comfortable recommending it to anyone who enjoyed D2.

AdrianWerner said:
You should give Disciples III a chance. It's bassicaly what HoMM IV was - a good game on it's own, just not as good as previous part and too different from it.

The main complain about D3 is that it's too much like HoMM, so if you like both you might find it pretty good. I did. It wasn't anything earth shattering, but it was an nice enjoyable, even if a little too easy TBS.

I wasn't thrilled about $25+ for it, but at this price, I'll pick it up. I loved HoMM V, III, II and Disciples I & II.

Seagoon

Pulled the trigger on Bioshock 2 (thanks Coopolon!), Lara Croft, and The Witcher.

Tempted by Resident Evil 5, but it's still pretty expensive given the age of the game and from what I understand it lacks the consoles DLC (seems to be standard with the PC lately) - can someone talk me out of it?

cicero said:

They are worth it. Very high quality maps in the paid DLC.

UrbanRats

Tempted by Resident Evil 5; no splitscreen and no extra chapters though, make me desist, i'll most probably wait for something better, yeah..

Majeh

Pretty much a no-brainer for me. Witcher to have on steam and Guardian of Light.

Wanted to ask, how steep is the learning curve in Defense Grid for someone who hasn't played any TD?

Krakn3Dfx

Seagoon said:
Pulled the trigger on Bioshock 2 (thanks Coopolon!), Lara Croft, and The Witcher.

Tempted by Resident Evil 5, but it's still pretty expensive given the age of the game and from what I understand it lacks the consoles DLC (seems to be standard with the PC lately) - can someone talk me out of it?

If you don't have it on a console, and you don't have a console with it available, get it. The DLC isn't worth not picking it up for the price, it's an awesome game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
pirata said:
So, Burnout. I pretty much hate driving games (and driving in real life, for that matter). Is there any chance that I might still like it?
No, but you can gift it to me if you really want the experience of purchasing it at such a low price. :D

benjipwns

Banned
MNC said:
D'oh ofcourse. Does that work for gifting?
No, apparently. (Maybe not, see below.)
Majeh said:
Wanted to ask, how steep is the learning curve in Defense Grid for someone who hasn't played any TD?
Not that bad, it does have multiple difficulties, challenges, etc. as well. Standard will give you a try or two on the latter maps, but you'll figure something out to win. (Maybe not be perfect, but win.)

Shambles

Nothing for me today thankfully. I'd grab Witcher but I still have most of DA to finish and by the time i'm done that Witcher 2 will be out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Miroslav said:
Divinity II is at 26€... whats the word on it? I liked divine divinity from the same studio a lot.
Is it the regular Divinity 2 or Dragon Knight Saga? The latter fixes a lot of issues the original release had and has an expansion pack as well.

I really liked what I played so far (Beat the first 'campaign') and I bought it full price.

poppabk

Mr_Zombie said:
On the front page it says that if you own "any Tomb Raider game" then Lara Croft & tGoL should be -76% (that is 3.60 euro). Well I do own Tomb Raider Legend, as well as LC&tGoL and when I want to buy the game for a friend it says that it's 5.10 euro :/
You have to go all the way through the process to the final checkout page before it shows. At least that is how it works in the US gifting to an email address.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shambles said:
Nothing for me today thankfully. I'd grab Witcher but I still have most of DA to finish and by the time i'm done that Witcher 2 will be out.
So what's the problem here?

Dizzy-4U

This, my friends, is Burnout Paradise:

(KITT, Delorean, Ecto-1 and General Lee) (as a dlc pack though)
y2Qm0.jpg

I hate racing games and I spent like 30 hours with this one. GO FRIKING BUY IT!!!!!!

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice said:
You do about 100x more running back and forth in The Witcher.

The only part of The Witcher where I felt I was running back and forth too much as in the prologue. The quests for the most part are numerous enough that you can generally work on 2-3+ at a time in the same map, so you're usually doing something worthwhile. The swamp was actually interesting for me, some people don't like it though.

I don't know if you played in OTS, but it's a much more visually pleasing experience and probably less annoying than the birds eye views for navigating.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, today is a cheap day. *phew*

Only Lara Croft (£2.40 because I own Tomb Raider:Anniversary) and The Polynomial (because it's er...well just look at it).

£3.90, something tells me I wont be let off like that again.

Chris R

Nothing for me today. Already bought defense grid and the witcher last year and have burnout on my ps3. Bring on tomorrow!!!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eaten By A Grue said:
Why are people even questioning getting the Witcher at $5? I just bought a 2 pack of toothpaste like 10 minutes ago for $5. Two tubes of toothpaste people!!!
I own it on Amazon. Is the slight convenience worth $5?

poppabk

pirata said:
Burnout has the advantage of pretty much playing like bumper cars, at least up to the last tier in single player. You can drive flatout giving little thought to braking and still clear events with relative ease. Using a keyboard no less.
I tend to get frustrated with driving games real easy, because I don't have the patience to play properly, but I loved Burnout.

cicero

Buy Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition
Includes all five of the Fallout 3 Game Add-on Packs
-25% $29.99 $22.49
So the difference between the daily deal and now was a whole 8% $2.40...

Why you gotta hurt me like this, Gabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom