• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagoon

Shit, ended up with Resident Evil 5.

Here's hoping for some slow sales over the next few days. I'm supposed to be saving up for a PC to play these on :lol

teiresias

dream said:
Mine does when I unplug it.

Fucking Motionjoy.

I still find it far more reliable to simply use my trusty old DS2-to-USB adapter that I've had for years rather than bother with the DS3. Of course, if you like the DS3 triggers you're sort of out of luck with that.

Anyone have an opinion on whether getting a wired 360 controller for the PC would be any better than the DS2 adapter?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Metalic Sand said:
I hope they do a best of sales because i'm not able to buy more steam stuff until tomorrow so i will miss out on The Witcher.

They did something like that last year right?

PM me and I'll help you out...

Kritz

Banned
Guys, I want RE5. I don't know why. I already own it on the 360. I didn't really like it (mostly because I get very bored of console games).

I suspect this game isn't being mirrored by any Australian server. Which means that even if I buy it, I will unlikely ever download and install it.

I recently lost my job and have no foreseeable income in my future for the next few years while I go to uni.

All signs point to I should buy this, and I have a serious problem.

Luthos

Dreohboy said:
Because I type on a keyboard all day. I'd rather not do it when I game (unless forced to).

I'd play every game (including MMOs) with a 360 controller. Don't care if it's slower and less precise. It's easily more comfortable IMHO.

I was with you until you mentioned MMOs. And well any RPGs that have a lot of abilities. I have Dragon Age on the PS3, and well, it just would be so much easier if I had a keyboard to map out my abilities.

TheBear

I hope The Witcher is as good as the trailer on Steam makes it out to be! Never heard of it before, but you guys seem to like it :)

Kritz

Banned
bigjimmystyle said:
I hope The Witcher is as good as the trailer on Steam makes it out to be! Never heard of it before, but you guys seem to like it :)

I can totally see the appeal in The Witcher if you're a crazy person. I kinda got bored of it before the tutorial ended but that's because if I don't stop shooting people I'm afraid I'll die of boredom. I'm also a bad person.

dream

teiresias said:
I still find it far more reliable to simply use my trusty old DS2-to-USB adapter that I've had for years rather than bother with the DS3. Of course, if you like the DS3 triggers you're sort of out of luck with that.

Anyone have an opinion on whether getting a wired 360 controller for the PC would be any better than the DS2 adapter?

Yeah, that's the thing. I find myself using analog triggers more than I ever thought I would these days and I kinda like being able to get some use out of my left over Sixaxis.

If the driver you use for your DS2 emulates the 360 pad (like MotionJoy does for me), I don't really see a reason to buy a new controller unless you need the analog triggers.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
Why would you leave your PS3 in standby? Thing sucks a bit of power even in that state.

Slim stays in standby 24/7 unless you physically unplug it. No switch like the older models.

Metalic Sand said:
I hope they do a best of sales because i'm not able to buy more steam stuff until tomorrow so i will miss out on The Witcher.

They did something like that last year right?

Everyone deserves a chance to play The Witcher. If you want some help, simply PM me. :D

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Leonsito said:
Why would you want to play The Witcher with a 360 controller ? It plays perfect with kb+mouse.

shrug let em play with whatever peripheral they want..that's the true beauty of PC gaming...no restrictions.

From what I've played of the Witcher in OTS view it would work great with native controller support since the combat is more action oriented.

Very good deals today, especially for The Witcher. At first, in the impulse of the moment I was going to pick

• The guardian of Light
  • Burnout Paradise

However, after some consideration I decided not to buy anything today. Racing games are not my thing, and next year's holiday sale will pass before I get to GOL due to my enormous backlog.

Vaporak

I'd also like some opinions of Disciples 3 from people who played it. I love strategy RPG's and don't really trust the review system to reflect whether or not I'd like it.

fushi

I hope they make a good deal on Risen available, so I can gift that rough nugget of gold to everyone I know.

Minsc

Gold Member
K.Jack said:
Quick, tell me I shouldn't buy Disciples III.

witchedwiz said:
disciples 3, worth it?

eznark said:
Bill Abner says no. I was about to buy it, too.

C'mon, where's your holiday spirit! It's a must buy. MUST. Buy it now people! Disciples III won't disappoint!
Just go in expecting an awful game, can't go wrong!

I'm buying it, with or without you guys!

Rich!

I play games on my PC (linked to my TV at the other side of the room) using a wireless 360 controller, along with the 360 wireless PC adapter. Works flawlessly - even with the 360 steering wheel!

Shit both F.E.A.R. and the Witcher are fucking massive installs. My poor small SSD is bursting at the seams. And changing steam install directory is a bitch too : (. You really should be able to choose individual download locations.

Edit: Steam is still the greatest, can't really complain with a straight face.

fushi

Government-man said:
Shit both F.E.A.R. and the Witcher are fucking massive installs. My poor small SSD is bursting at the seams. And changing steam install directory is a bitch too : (. You really should be able to choose individual download locations.
You really shouldn't keep anything but Windows and few applications on your SSD.

Zachack

bloodydrake said:
shrug let em play with whatever peripheral they want..that's the true beauty of PC gaming...no restrictions.

From what I've played of the Witcher in OTS view it would work great with native controller support since the combat is more action oriented.
The inventory would be a massive pain using a controller. Moving around, fighting, and doing stuff would work fine, but the inventory and other menu screens were designed for a mouse.

I would suggest keeping a handy thumb ball mouse nearby for those. I will advocate for the thumbball until my thumbs fall off and I can no longer hit the space bar.

kamspy

Government-man said:

Edit: Steam is still the greatest, can't really complain with a straight face.

I dedicate an entire drive to Steam. The SSD performance isn't worth the hassle. Go pick up a big ole Spinpoint and write STEAM on it with a dull sharpie. Worked for me.

Anyone looking at Lara Croft SHOULD REALLY buy Tomb Raider Anniversary with it. It's runs like greased butter with max settings and 16xAA on my modest 275 GTX. Image quality is better than PoP Forgotten Sands which I bought yesterday. Controls like a thinking man's Uncharted.

Lara Croft - $5
Lara Croft + TA Anniversary -$8

It's also all the Tomb Raider content you'll ever need to own for less than $10.

Made it through the first day of the sale without buying anything. First day was the hardest. Although I did pick up Empire Total War when it was $15.

Just going to check in on the sales each day. I know to never say never.

Dreohboy

Zachack said:
The inventory would be a massive pain using a controller. Moving around, fighting, and doing stuff would work fine, but the inventory and other menu screens were designed for a mouse.

I would suggest keeping a handy thumb ball mouse nearby for those. I will advocate for the thumbball until my thumbs fall off and I can no longer hit the space bar.

When I saw them demo Witcher 2 for PC, the developers were using a 360 controller. I think they want the franchise to be more of an action game with roleplaying elements and they think it's appeal will be broader if they incorporate native 360 support.

If I didn't think I could get Witcher to work with a controller I wouldn't have even paid $5 for it.

McNum

So I got Puzzle Quest. Plays like "Battle Bejweled, the RPG", which is pretty fun, actually. Still a really odd concept for a game, but it works. Also somewhat colorblind friendly with the symbols on each stone.

ne1

God damn it... CODBLOPS is up to #15 on the top sellers list. We must fight the good cause and buy more to keep it off!

nekosaur

Grrr.. Annoying. I was trying out Lara Croft after installing it, and whenever I press the Aim button (using a DS2 controller, L2), Lara brings up her guns and then immediately holsters them again. Any had this problem, or any ideas?

edit: nevermind. had to enable gamepad axis so that right stick turned into aim.

Peff

nekosaur said:
Grrr.. Annoying. I was trying out Lara Croft after installing it, and whenever I press the Aim button (using a DS2 controller, L2), Lara brings up her guns and then immediately holsters them again. Any had this problem, or any ideas?

Aiming is supposed to be mapped to a stick, not a button.

Cheech

ne1 said:
God damn it... CODBLOPS is up to #15 on the top sellers list. We must fight the good cause and buy more to keep it off!

I would love to know who is buying that shit at 59.99. Christ.

Minsc said:
C'mon, where's your holiday spirit! It's a must buy. MUST. Buy it now people! Disciples III won't disappoint!
Just go in expecting an awful game, can't go wrong!

I'm buying it, with or without you guys!

I bought it! Downloading now, we'll see how it goes...

Snaku

Banned
Only the Witcher for me today. I was waiting for it and Bioshock 2 to hit that magical $5 mark. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer on Bioshock.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... well I decided on Burnout Paradise. Seems like the kind of game I'd really like, as I'm a huge fan of Outrun and Ridge Racer.

And seriously. Anyone who's on the fence about the Witcher -- stop being dumb. Just buy it. The game is fucking awesome. I don't care if you don't have the means to download/play it right now, just buy it now and play it whenever you're able to.

Grabbed Meat Boy and Bad Company yesterday, and The Witcher today. Pretty impressed so far. It's a huge relief that I already have most of the indie stuff I want, otherwise those $5 packs would be stacking sky-high in my cart.

trinest said:
Whats with the disapoiting sale :/
I can't see how it's disappointing unless you already have most of these games. Today's selection alone is pretty fantastic.

-Rogue5-

Just finished BBC2 singleplayer... I'm gonna try to beat a game on my list before I install another one. I'm about 2 hours into Bioshock 2, but just don't have the drive to play it... Such a grind for some reason.

As for ME + ME2 bundle, I already had ME2 PC and just bought ME1 yesterday (for only 25% off) because I wanted both... I totally didn't think about holding off for the daily sales. Did the same thing with Dragon Age at only 25% off... I have a feeling by the end of this sale I'm gonna be pretty bitter. Kind of think it's a bit of BS that they're on sale and then drop another 25% the next day. That's like $5-10 that could be going towards other games.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
rohlfinator said:
I can't see how it's disappointing unless you already have most of these games. Today's selection alone is pretty fantastic.
Indeed, and then there is the fact it will be going for 2 weeks. Give it time.

MoFuzz

BloodySinner said:
And it's not even on sale. It's selling at $60!!
They aren't going to bother discounting it even a penny seeing as how it's sold gangbusters since launch. It's like the people clamoring for a price drop on the Wii a few years ago. Shit's just not gonna happen until sales slump significantly.

Even then, I bet you the first discount will be something measly, like 25% off - $44.99. Whoopy frickin doo da

Just to compare, COD4:MW's cheapest price on Steam thus far has been $15 and we are now three years after that game came out, with annual installments (sequels) doing next to nothing as far as dropping previous games prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom