• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... so I'm thinking about getting the Half Life 1 Anthology... it's got Half Life, Opposing Force, and Blue Shift, and it's $7.49 now. I dunno if it's been cheaper than that before, or even if Opposing Force and Blue Shift are worth getting.

I'm so lost!

Probably not the right place to post this but,

I have an extra gift code for Left 4 dead on steam

I'm willing to trade for either $10 on steam or Torchlight

I just really want Torchlight lol.

Send me a pm A.S.A.P since Torchlight will be half off for only a short time.

steamcommunity.com/id/diztrukted/

thanks!!!!!

Nabs

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. Should have trusted my instinct on BC 2 and Vietnam. It's my rule to not support crap with unlocks. Constantly getting raped by guys with things like bullet upgrades (Pros: Does more damage. Accurate at longer distances. Cons: None) has me completely raging. The only thing more rediculious than this crap is the fact it doesn't have matchmaking to separate players. Hmm. Player ranks. Advantages tied to ranks. Yeah. Lets not have that.

I hate matchmaking as much as the next guy, but if this is your game, put it in the fucking game. I can only assume this is some market research gimmick to get people to buy on day 1 and not wait for a used market to develop. You could easily work around this if you wanted to. The fact they actively avoid any solutions to non-day 1 punishment proves it's driven solely by some research some asshole did. Yeah, I'm raging. Fuckitdy, fuckitdy, fuck, fuck, fuck. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Edit: And if the hit Play button is supposed to be matchmaking, it sucks ass. Because I tried that and it put me in a server with 0 players. I'd be fine with that if I could capture objectives and mine points, but with only 1 player, stats are disabled.

EVERYONE rages when they play BC2 alone. Just find other new players here to roll with for a bit. If you need better guns, I recommend picking them up off the ground. There should be plenty. When I was ranking up (I think level 3 is where you get the shit that should have been there from the start), I just rolled with the Shotty and Pistol. You can get a ton of kills like that.

"Q" is your best friend, use it as often as possible to mark enemies, vehicles and mcom stations. Throw down a bunch of ammo and health whenever you see friendlies. Make sure to always join a squad (press Enter anytime). If you see yourself going off the deep end with rage, just fuck with the other team as hard as possible. You're not given the best troll weapons out the gate (gustav!) but you can sneak up and stab an entire squad.

Alucrid

Banned
So Aion...yea? Nay? I feel like I need a bit of an MMO kick, don't want to go back to WoW, FF XIV is sketchy and this is only $10.

Minsc

Gold Member
DualShadow said:
How's the Witcher hold up?

Thinking about getting it since the second one is coming out next year.

Perfectly. It's a little rough around the edges, but that's part of the charm.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why does FEAR 1 force you to dl 16gb? I dont really want the multiptiplayer stuff anyway.

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. Should have trusted my instinct on BC 2 and Vietnam. It's my rule to not support crap with unlocks. Constantly getting raped by guys with things like bullet upgrades (Pros: Does more damage. Accurate at longer distances. Cons: None) has me completely raging. The only thing more rediculious than this crap is the fact it doesn't have matchmaking to separate players. Hmm. Player ranks. Advantages tied to ranks. Yeah. Lets not have that.

I hate matchmaking as much as the next guy, but if this is your game, put it in the fucking game. I can only assume this is some market research gimmick to get people to buy on day 1 and not wait for a used market to develop. You could easily work around this if you wanted to. The fact they actively avoid any solutions to non-day 1 punishment proves it's driven solely by some research some asshole did. Yeah, I'm raging. Fuckitdy, fuckitdy, fuck, fuck, fuck. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Edit: And if the hit Play button is supposed to be matchmaking, it sucks ass. Because I tried that and it put me in a server with 0 players. I'd be fine with that if I could capture objectives and mine points, but with only 1 player, stats are disabled.

Sounds like you need to play with PC GAF. Give us a week and we'll get you to 20!

EDIT: Not implying boosting, WE'RE JUST FUCKING AWESOME

BlueMagic

Labombadog said:
I would say very likely. So hold off.

I won't be able to buy from the 24th to the 26th, so here's hoping it doesn't get a discount for any of those days. And then I leave on the 31st again.

Minsc

Gold Member
mattiewheels said:
Why does FEAR 1 force you to dl 16gb? I dont really want the multiptiplayer stuff anyway.

It's stupid, but hard to complain too much when 2TB of storage is just $100.

Chacranajxy said:
Hmm... so I'm thinking about getting the Half Life 1 Anthology... it's got Half Life, Opposing Force, and Blue Shift, and it's $7.49 now. I dunno if it's been cheaper than that before, or even if Opposing Force and Blue Shift are worth getting.

I'm so lost!

I'd say, unless you really intend to play it now, you might as well wait. Maybe it will be a daily deal.

Opposing Force is a great expansion: new weapons, new enemies, you get marines as backup from time to time. If you get Half Life, might as well get OpFor with it.

Blue Shift is pretty lacking, it offers nothing new and is very short, but still fun to play. It can be missed though.

diztrukted said:
Probably not the right place to post this but,

I have an extra gift code for Left 4 dead on steam

I'm willing to trade for either $10 on steam or Torchlight

I just really want Torchlight lol.

Send me a pm A.S.A.P since Torchlight will be half off for only a short time.

steamcommunity.com/id/diztrukted/

thanks!!!!!

Both games are very likely to be discounted, just an FYI

InertiaXr said:
I also rage pretty hard at this game playing solo, I need help as well...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/inertiaxr

Adding this to all Bad Company threads, but might be useful here:

Mr. Snrub said:
Did I miss anything?

GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
  2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
  3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
  4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
  5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
  6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
  7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Minsc said:
Danne-Danger said:
But I don't want to pay $100 to play FEAR! No wait... I would do that!
If you set out to be a PC gamer you should have a big HD anyway. When I built my rig I got a speedy 500GB to put my important games on, then I have an external 1TB for other stuff that doesn't need to be fast. Though, right now all my games are on the first and I still have 218GB left on it.

BloodySinner said:
Not enough people buying Unreal Tournament 3. Sad.
I don't like where they took that franchise. The first UT was possibly the greatest multiplayer FPS that has ever been, but the series after that... meh.

DualShadow said:
How's the Witcher hold up?

Thinking about getting it since the second one is coming out next year.

I'd say it's held up rather well, purchased it in an earlier sale and am playing through The Witcher for the first time just now.

Some people have issues with the combat and the pacing in the beginning of the game but neither particularly bothered me. I enjoy the combat system myself, I like having to switch through the stances, swords and click the mouse to get combo chains and critical attacks. I never had issue with the pacing in Outer Vizima, an area early in the game that seems to bother a few folks, because it gave me time to come to grips with the combat, the alchemy, leveling up my character and teaching him skills through reading scrolls and books. Maybe that has to do with my experience level with crpgs, which is admittedly low. I've played a few wrpgs over the years on consoles, so I would say that The Witcher is my first died-in-the-wool crpg.

One thing I particularly enjoy about the game are when choices you made earlier on come back and have an impact on how the story plays out or how characters interact with you. Most games, that I have played, are obvious binary choices with immediate results, with The Witcher the choices aren't always so obviously right or wrong and you never know which will come back to impact your experience, and that's pretty fucking cool in my book.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Minsc said:
It's not about the space really, I only want the core SP game and wish I didn't have to spend so much bandwidth/have two things I'd like to remove from my games list but can't. That's actually how I found out, tried to remove just the DLC part and it all disappeared (even though there's 3 separate damn icons).

OmegaDragon said:
Left 4 Dead games as a bundle is 15$, might get discounted. The games themselves will be in a daily deals, probably 5$ per game. So 10$ for both. If you want you can skip the first game, as the campaigns are being ported to the sequel.

Is this a fact?

stuminus3

BloodySinner said:
Not enough people buying Unreal Tournament 3. Sad.
I got it! I guess you're saying not enough people are playing it online? That would be a shame.

I actually primarily got the pack for, believe it or not, the original Unreal Gold. I played around 30 minutes of that game in 1998, had my mind blown (remember, this was pre-Half Life), then for some reason never got a chance to play it again until I bought the pack yesterday. It's odd, I've played the crap out of the other Unreal games since then.

Bought Super Meat Boy after all the good things I heard about it.

Also randomly bought Winterbottom, I don't even know what the hell it's about, but can't go wrong at 50 cents :lol

MoFuzz

Mr. Snrub said:
GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!
Will the Configurator remove that mouse in soup feeling? Mouse acceleration/smoothing issues really break my balls when it comes to competitive FPS.

I tried using BFmousefix or whatever it's called and it just made it worse. Enabling AA in the game seems to increase input lag as well.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ramma2 said:
Picked up the Witcher, figure a GOTY for 5$ can't be that bad. Not sure how well it will run on my laptop and looks like I won't find out till tomorrow night anyways! 15 gigs!
Laptop specs?

shadowcomplex said:
is any other gaffer having trouble with credit cards i can't buy anything! i even tried pre-paid credit cards. =/ DAMN YOU STEAM TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Maybe someone helped you already, but Steam or your CC company does that to prevent scamming (irony!). My guess is that it's Steam since you can set up an alternative account and gift games to yourself if your CC is blocked at your main.

Man, these annual Steam sales are quickly becoming my favorite part of the holidays. Nothing better than having a bunch of new games to use to avoid all your annoying relatives :lol

Shaneus

DBebm5 said:
Man, these annual Steam sales are quickly becoming my favorite part of the holidays. Nothing better than having a bunch of new games to use to avoid all your annoying relatives :lol
I hate them. Love the games, hate the fact that by the end, despite being on holidays I'll still wake up at FUCKING 4AM EVERY MORNING to check what's on sale. It's hell for Australians :(

trinest

Shaneus said:
I hate them. Love the games, hate the fact that by the end, despite being on holidays I'll still wake up at FUCKING 4AM EVERY MORNING to check what's on sale. It's hell for Australians :(
You wake up at 4am- why? I usually check it around now on most days.

Shaneus said:

Why can't you just wait till the night?

I'm Aussie and just check it when I get home from work.

Shaneus

I get all worked up :( Less likely to happen this year though as it's no longer my first year of being exposed to a Steam sale *and* having a PC that can run shit decently.

slamskank

DBebm5 said:
Seriously. Steam saves my christmas every year. Last year my parents gave me an alarm clock with nature sounds. The year before I got the matrix reloaded on dvd and some harry potter book stops. I'm 23 years old. Gabe is my Santa Claus.

Smash88

Banned
Anyone want to play Lara Croft Guardian of Light with me? :D

slamskank said:
Seriously. Steam saves my christmas every year. Last year my parents gave me an alarm clock with nature sounds. The year before I got the matrix reloaded on dvd and some harry potter book stops. I'm 23 years old. Gabe is my Santa Claus.

I'm sorry, but I must laugh at your misfortunes.

Stumpokapow said:

Darkest of Days, a 51 metacritic Russian-developed FPS, finally had its first ever price drop from 39.99 to 19.99 US and is on sale for 33% off, bringing the price to 13.39. It's been #1 on my wishlist for a while now, which is why I noticed this after-the-fact price drop.

No idea why it didn't drop yesterday.

Never heard of this, it sounds awesome. Love the trailer, showing current day weapons being used against spear throwers. Looks like fun.

Teknoman

stuminus3 said:
I got it! I guess you're saying not enough people are playing it online? That would be a shame.

I actually primarily got the pack for, believe it or not, the original Unreal Gold. I played around 30 minutes of that game in 1998, had my mind blown (remember, this was pre-Half Life), then for some reason never got a chance to play it again until I bought the pack yesterday. It's odd, I've played the crap out of the other Unreal games since then.

Unreal 1 is a great game. Awesome soundtrack that drives home the alien atmosphere. Makes me wish for an actual Unreal 3 or at least a new franchise that gives that alien sci-fi isolation feel.

More people need to play it...if only for the soundtrack and the environments:

Shared Dig

Dusk Horizon

Vortex Rikers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom