• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

rohlfinator said:
I can't see how it's disappointing unless you already have most of these games. Today's selection alone is pretty fantastic.
I own none of them. It's a combination of the fact they are not games I'm interested in/already have heaps in that genre and the fact that if I did want to buy them- it would be more to try and vus the price is way to much for me.

jiien

If I buy ME2 off of Gamer's Gate for 8 bucks, can I redeem it on Steam? I've never heard of Gamer's Gate. Should I wait for Steam to put it up on sale?

Glix

trinest said:
I own none of them. It's a combination of the fact they are not games I'm interested in/already have heaps in that genre and the fact that if I did want to buy them- it would be more to try and vus the price is way to much for me.

You can't be down on The Witcher for 5 bucks. That is just silly awesome.

Also, GOTY candidate Super Meat Boy was less then four bucks yesterday.

Guys, even though its not a daily deal, the old X-Coms are, like, $1.50US a piece. So awesome. I LOVE YOU GABE.

Anyone else can't get to the home page? Mine keeps dumping me to my community page.

I have Disciples in my cart dammit!

EDIT:NM, restarted Steam and it worked.

Vhalyar

FleckSplat said:
Anyone else can't get to the home page? Mine keeps dumping me to my community page.

I have Disciples in my cart dammit!
That's most likely because you clicked on "X items in your wishlist are on sale". Try rebboting Steam? That'd be the quickest way to fix it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
kamspy said:
I dedicate an entire drive to Steam. The SSD performance isn't worth the hassle. Go pick up a big ole Spinpoint and write STEAM on it with a dull sharpie. Worked for me.

Anyone looking at Lara Croft SHOULD REALLY buy Tomb Raider Anniversary with it. It's runs like greased butter with max settings and 16xAA on my modest 275 GTX. Image quality is better than PoP Forgotten Sands which I bought yesterday. Controls like a thinking man's Uncharted.

Lara Croft - $5
Lara Croft + TA Anniversary -$8

It's also all the Tomb Raider content you'll ever need to own for less than $10.
Decided to go in on this deal. 8.60 for the two.

trinest

Glix said:
You can't be down on The Witcher for 5 bucks. That is just silly awesome.
I have no Job atm- and little money really saved to put away for games and stuff- so at the end of the day if I decide I want a game I have to be 100% on it- otherwise if I'm not its just wasted money.

Big Chungus

Bought a copy of Bad Company 2 and installed it but when I tried opening it, it says "failed to contact key server".

What does this mean?

trinest said:
I have no Job atm- and little money really saved to put away for games and stuff- so at the end of the day if I decide I want a game I have to be 100% on it- otherwise if I'm not its just wasted money.
Very sorry to hear you're out of work (seriously), but if the money is that tight you should probably just not look at Steam for the next two weeks. SMB and The Witcher and Lara Croft at their sale prices are unbelievable values, almost objectively.

hamchan

trinest said:

So pretty much every sale will be disappointing to you unless there's a game you're 100% on.

Loxley

I would like to extend a hearty "thank you" to you guys, you fucking guys, who recommended Defense Grid...I will not stop playing this monstrosity anytime soon. So yeah, thanks assholes.

*fake edit

Jesus this thing has map packs? GAF, you don't realize what you're doing to me.

Loxley said:
I would like to extend a hearty "thank you" to you guys, you fucking guys, who recommended Defense Grid...I will not stop playing this monstrosity anytime soon. So yeah, thanks assholes.

*fake edit

Jesus this thing has map packs? GAF, you don't realize what you're doing to me.
I can't believe how fucking good that game is. Hundreds of hours, seriously.

It does ruin most other tower defense games for you, though.

Smash88

Banned
Cheech said:
I would love to know who is buying that shit at 59.99. Christ.

Mommy and Daddy and their Gold/Platinum cards, that's who.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

I just kinda wish it had multiplayer or co-op, would extend the game by quite a bit.

trinest

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Very sorry to hear you're out of work (seriously), but if the money is that tight you should probably just not look at Steam for the next two weeks. SMB and The Witcher and Lara Croft at their sale prices are unbelievable values, almost objectively.

Nah don't worry about it man- at the end of the day pretty much still a kid living at home. (19) though I do have things I have to pay like my phone which I wont magically have money for instantly- so I'd have to dig into some of my savings.

hamchan said:
So pretty much every sale will be disappointing to you unless there's a game you're 100% on.

There are a few I'm defently looking out for- for example if Amesia gets into the daily deals or a few other old titles.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I really want the Valve pack but $50 is a lot to spend on video games, even thought it's a greal deal. I', mad that I missed the $25 sale.

Zachack

Dreohboy said:
When I saw them demo Witcher 2 for PC, the developers were using a 360 controller. I think they want the franchise to be more of an action game with roleplaying elements and they think it's appeal will be broader if they incorporate native 360 support.

If I didn't think I could get Witcher to work with a controller I wouldn't have even paid $5 for it.
I'm not saying the sequel or the proposed console port of W1 couldn't have been done with a controller, but as things are the inventory and menus in W1 aren't designed for a controller. At all. The inventory management was poor, and the quest menu could have been a lot better.

Glix

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

I got this today!! yay! Will it run on my work machine? (can run HL2 smooth on LOWest settings)

I've never like TD games before, but Revenge of the Titans from the Indie bundle sold me on the genre.

Is this game better, worse, or different than ROTT?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, I love F.E.A.R 2, so much style and polish. Monolith plz make Shogo 2 after F.3.A.R and you can have my babies, kthxbye.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dice said:
Oh man, I love F.E.A.R 2, so much style and polish. Monolith plz make Shogo 2 after F.3.A.R and you can have my babies, kthxbye.

Monolith's not even making FEAR 3, unfortunately. It's being developed by the guys who made Fracture which is why it looks like an abject piece of shit.

Shogo 2 would be awesome, though.

hamchan

trinest said:
There are a few I'm defently looking out for- for example if Amesia gets into the daily deals or a few other old titles.

Oh yeah I'm looking out for Amnesia too. As good as everybody says it is I wasn't willing to buy it at $10. Needs to go $5 for me to bite.:lol

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, I just started Deus Ex for the first time tonight, and it crashed my desktop so badly that it looked like Windows 3.1. WTF.

I changed a few of the settings from their defaults, including resolution, surround sound and stuff like that, before starting out on the training level. As soon as I started, it told me that there was an incoming transmission...then hung to a black screen, followed by the aforementioned desktop freakout. So...anyone know what gives?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Vox-Pop said:
I think I might get the Orange Box instead of the Valve pack. It's only $15.

Wait on it. It was $7.50 during the Thanksgiving sale, so it's probably gonna be one of the daily deals.

Damage so far:

Lara Croft GOL
Iron Grip: Warlord
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Puzzle Quest
The Polynomial
Super Meat Boy
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition

Not going to even bother keeping track of what I spend. Contemplating Bioshock 2 but I have so many single player games in the backlog by the time I get to it it will be on sale for $5.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Chacranajxy said:
Monolith's not even making FEAR 3, unfortunately. It's being developed by the guys who made Fracture which is why it looks like an abject piece of shit.
ClcjP.jpg

Edit:

Actually... They handed off an important franchise like this, and they are recruiting new people... How badass of a game must they be developing right now? I'm curious and excited.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Chacranajxy said:
Wait on it. It was $7.50 during the Thanksgiving sale, so it's probably gonna be one of the daily deals.
I'll wait for it to go on sale, if it doesn't I'll pick up the last day. Wish they included L4D2 on there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dani_dc said:
Indie Future Pack, Indie Brain Pack, Iron Grip:Warlod.

Are any of those worth picking up?

I purchased Indie Future Pack and am generally not very happy with either Uplink or Hacker: Evolution, my two main reasons for doing so. It's possible one of the other games will be a surprise hit for me, though.

Ettie

Divinity II and Settlers VII are 33 and 25 percent off, respectively. The deals aren't associated with any particular sales. Should I expect those prices to persist through the end of the big sale?

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Should have trusted my instinct on BC 2 and Vietnam. It's my rule to not support crap with unlocks. Constantly getting raped by guys with things like bullet upgrades (Pros: Does more damage. Accurate at longer distances. Cons: None) has me completely raging. The only thing more rediculious than this crap is the fact it doesn't have matchmaking to separate players. Hmm. Player ranks. Advantages tied to ranks. Yeah. Lets not have that.

I hate matchmaking as much as the next guy, but if this is your game, put it in the fucking game. I can only assume this is some market research gimmick to get people to buy on day 1 and not wait for a used market to develop. You could easily work around this if you wanted to. The fact they actively avoid any solutions to non-day 1 punishment proves it's driven solely by some research some asshole did. Yeah, I'm raging. Fuckitdy, fuckitdy, fuck, fuck, fuck. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Edit: And if the hit Play button is supposed to be matchmaking, it sucks ass. Because I tried that and it put me in a server with 0 players. I'd be fine with that if I could capture objectives and mine points, but with only 1 player, stats are disabled.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Darkest of Days, a 51 metacritic Russian-developed FPS, finally had its first ever price drop from 39.99 to 19.99 US and is on sale for 33% off, bringing the price to 13.39. It's been #1 on my wishlist for a while now, which is why I noticed this after-the-fact price drop.

No idea why it didn't drop yesterday.

nexen

Stumpokapow said:

Darkest of Days, a 51 metacritic Russian-developed FPS, finally had its first ever price drop from 39.99 to 19.99 US and is on sale for 33% off, bringing the price to 13.39. It's been #1 on my wishlist for a while now, which is why I noticed this after-the-fact price drop.

No idea why it didn't drop yesterday.
Darkest of Days is fantastic and awful at the same exact time. When you take a machine gun to an american civil war battle...yeah that is a bit of a game changer.

Shame a more talented development team didn't get the idea before them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ettie said:
Divinity II and Settlers VII are 33 and 25 percent off, respectively. The deals aren't associated with any particular sales. Should I expect those prices to persist through the end of the big sale?

Wait till the last day in case of a daily sale.

Vox-Pop said:
I think I might get the Orange Box instead of the Valve pack. It's only $15.

IMO the Valve pack isnt that great. Whoever got it for 25$ did have a great deal

The best ingredients are:
Half Life + OpFor, now $7,25, but Half Life will also get discounted. Lets say 5$ for both, or less

Half-Life 2 + Eps, Portal, TF2
all in Orange Box, now 15$, will probably in a daily deal. 10$?

Left 4 Dead games as a bundle is 15$, might get discounted. The games themselves will be in a daily deals, probably 5$ per game. So 10$ for both. If you want you can skip the first game, as the campaigns are being ported to the sequel.

Total: 25$ maximum if you buy them separately when they are discounted. So if you get the Valve pack, you pay 25$ more for CS (source), DoD (source) and TFC and some other games, but nothing major imo. Not really worth it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Stumpokapow said:
I purchased Indie Future Pack and am generally not very happy with either Uplink or Hacker: Evolution, my two main reasons for doing so. It's possible one of the other games will be a surprise hit for me, though.
What's disappointing you with Uplink? I had a copy long ago and it was a really intriguing little game. That and Hammerfight are making me want that pack.

MoFuzz

1-D_FTW said:
Rage of a Thousand Suns.
I feel ya man, you have Call of Shooty to thank for new emphasis on perpetual positive reinforcement. It is a simple reward system that creates an artificial sense of accomplishment. A carrot on stick approach that works wonders to keep folks playing. Myself included!

Now if only I knew what I was doing...

Smash88

Banned
Forgot to mention, played with another GAFer last night on BFBC2. Don't know if he is a lurker or not, but it was funny stuff. :lol

Ramma2

Picked up the Witcher, figure a GOTY for 5$ can't be that bad. Not sure how well it will run on my laptop and looks like I won't find out till tomorrow night anyways! 15 gigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom