• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
Captain Tuttle said:
Torchlight for 10 clams?

Done and done :D

Bad idea. It could be a daily deal for $5.

Also, posting for new page. Anyone wanna play Lara Croft Guardian of the Light co-op with me?

Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock 2 bought.

This is in addition to the Fear Collection, Prince of Persia, and Bad Company 2 I have got yesterday.

2 more weeks of holiday sales to go....heaven help me.

Shaneus said:
I get all worked up :( Less likely to happen this year though as it's no longer my first year of being exposed to a Steam sale *and* having a PC that can run shit decently.

:lol Yeah, I'm seeing more games that I already own than in years past. But there are always gems that make it worth browsing every day. I'm currently on the fence about Men of War. Kind of in the mood for a nerdier (i.e., non-DudeBro) wargame...

ChRoNiTe

Anyone having issues trying to bind keys to the mouse in F.E.A.R 2? The only buttons that are recognized on my mouse in game are left click, right click and mouse wheel scroll/click.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
These sales are just a beautiful thing to me.

Earlier, the very existence of Super Meat Boy surprised me and made me happy for gaming itself. Now I got it for $3.75.

I got Puzzle Quest 2 over Thanksgiving for $3.50. It was kind of disappointing, but it was super cheap and I still played the hell out of it. Yet it made me long for the epic of Puzzle Quest 1 which I only knew for a short time in its lesser DS form. Oh, what's that? $1.50? Don't mind if I do.

I have wanted F.E.A.R. 1 & 2 for a while but couldn't justify the cost with all the newer things coming out. $10 for the whole package? Thank you, and boy is it satisfying to just run around in for a few minutes before I'm even really in the meat of it.

Then there is all this variety and quality I just stumbled upon for extremely freaking cheap. Toki Tori, Recettear, Puzzle Agent, Jolly Rover, Flight Control HD, PB Winterbottom... I don't think all that was even $10 combined.

Some things I looked for, like Aquaria and Shatter, some things I had always passively admired, like Battlefront II and Jade Empire, some things I had pimped to me and nabbed on the cheap, like Lara Croft, Dead Space, The Witcher and Torchlight; some things are forever classics like the Valve games, sometimes I'm amazed at how much fun I get out of $5 like with Red Faction: Guerrilla, and sometimes they just throw in sweet free stuff like Tomb Raider: Legend.

There is still a chance I'll get my blockbuster Dragon Age Ultimate for a ridiculous $25 or less, or if not that then my second tier Dead Rising 2 or Blur for even less than that, but even if none of those happen, I'll still be able to pick up Mini Ninjas, Pirates, maybe even 3 more games I want with that $25. It's just crazy!

I think when the sale is over I'm just going to look at my games list and sigh in satisfaction before enjoying them for months to come. If I miss 2 or 3, I'll just enjoy what I have for now and they'll probably be in the summer sale. I still buy some things new, like I'll pick up Test Drive Unlimited 2 right away if I have the cash then, but Steam is allowing me to be much more laid back about gaming while enjoying the full breadth of it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
As far as core no-frills FPS gameplay goes, I think FEAR is the current champ. Unfortunately the second one takes away some of what made FEAR so special (the leaning and aiming mechanics most obviously), but I've still been enjoying what I've played of it.

Its amazing that FEAR's mechanics make the relatively shittily designed expansions more fun than FEAR 2. They're that solid.

edit: I guess FEAR does have a frill with the bullet-time... but still. :lol

Stumpokapow said:

Darkest of Days, a 51 metacritic Russian-developed FPS, finally had its first ever price drop from 39.99 to 19.99 US and is on sale for 33% off, bringing the price to 13.39. It's been #1 on my wishlist for a while now, which is why I noticed this after-the-fact price drop.

No idea why it didn't drop yesterday.

I really like the premise. anything you can tellus on the game?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
I really like the premise. anything you can tellus on the game?
I played the demo a while back, and I have to say that there are much better FPS games you could be spending your time with. The polish isn't there and the gameplay is very basic.

TheUsual

Gold Member
BobsRevenge said:
As far as core no-frills FPS gameplay goes, I think FEAR is the current champ. Unfortunately the second one takes away some of what made FEAR so special (the leaning and aiming mechanics most obviously), but I've still been enjoying what I've played of it.

Its amazing that FEAR's mechanics make the relatively shittily designed expansions more fun than FEAR 2. They're that solid.

Plus FEAR's shotgun is the best shotgun in any game I've ever played. It just feels so intense.

I always want to try Guild Wars, should I but the the first one or the whole trilogy? keep in mind I most likely not going to try pvp and if I can't convince my friend to get it too, I'm probably gonna play it alone.

what is Polynomial? it looks pretty and cheap, but what kind of game is it?

also, is Tomb Raider worth it for someone who never like Tomb Raider games. do I have to play co-op to enjoy it or single player is still great. just want to know what are the game's strengths and weaknesses

Def Jukie

Doing good so far this year. Picked up Super Meat Boy for $3.75 yesterday and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light today for $3.60. My goal is to average about $5.00 a day this year.

Blueblur1

I wasn't interested in yesterday's deals but today I decided to pick up BioShock 2 and PuzzleQuest. My total so far is $11.49. I don't expect to spend much more but then again I spent like $30 last year. :lol

Majeh

I think I've kept myself relatively in check, I didn't have that many steam games to start out with so I could've gone nuts. Since everyone is listing here are mine:

Shattered Union
The Deus Ex Collection
FEAR Complete Pack (UK)
OddBoxx
Prince of Persia
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Lara Croft GOL
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Resident Evil 5

total so far: £36.10

Hoping BFBC2 goes back on sale so I can play it with my friend (I had no interest in playing it on my own)

Set myself a limit of £200 and damn if I go a penny over. :lol

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Danne-Danger said:
Maybe someone helped you already, but Steam or your CC company does that to prevent scamming (irony!). My guess is that it's Steam since you can set up an alternative account and gift games to yourself if your CC is blocked at your main.
i wish. but i used to have a friend gift me all my games, then i would pay him cash, it worked so well for so long i didn't know it would cause this kind of problem. is there anyway i can fix it so, I can buy games for my self as well?? because this is just so weird. so yea what should i do?

Teknoman

Passed on BFBC2 but now i'm thinking about The Witcher. Man I havent even finished Fallout 3 or started New Vegas yet :lol

Then again 5 bucks.

Lkr

you'd think Gabe would have invested some of our money from previous sales into making the servers run better

Dipswitch

Well, I didn't buy any of todays daily deals. I did spend a tense 40 minutes or so trying to buy BF: BC2 on my Android phone before the deal expired today however. So I got my Steam drama fix for the day. And only $7 or so in the hole on day two. Not too shabby.....

classicdms

Neo Member
45 Gigs worth of games downloaded during the sale so far.

The Witcher is barely 1.5 gigs into a 15.5 gig download still. Also still downloading Bioshock 2 and Guardian of Light.

Fear Pack put me over 20 gigs all on it's own. I figure I'll go over 120 gigs by the end of the sale, at this rate.

LCfiner

classicdms said:

The Witcher is barely 1.5 gigs into a 15.5 gig download still. Also still downloading Bioshock 2 and Guardian of Light.

Fear Pack put me over 20 gigs all on it's own. I figure I'll go over 120 gigs by the end of the sale, at this rate.

During the summer sale, I downloaded 56 GB in one day.

my monthly bandwidth cap from my ISP was 125 GB…

~Kinggi~

Banned
classicdms said:

I wonder why the Witcher is 15 gigs. I have the retail Witcher patched and updated to the Enhanced version and that folder is only 8 gigs.

I bought the steam version anyway just for the ease of having everything in one place. I had to install a lot of patches to update my retail copy.

Majeh

~Kinggi~ said:
I wonder why the Witcher is 15 gigs. I have the retail Witcher patched and updated to the Enhanced version and that folder is only 8 gigs.

I bought the steam version anyway just for the ease of having everything in one place. I had to install a lot of patches to update my retail copy.

All the making of videos and extras are included in the download.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
~Kinggi~ said:

The download version has all the voice acting for all the various localizations.

Truespeed

Valve is playing mind games. I want Lara Croft Guardian of Light, but the opportunity of paying $1.50 less by buying another Lara Croft game is making me think twice.

classicdms

Neo Member
LCfiner said:
During the summer sale, I downloaded 56 GB in one day.

my monthly bandwidth cap from my ISP was 125 GB…
BANDWIDTH CAPS BE DAMNED!

Road Runner in NYC, so no caps for me. I don't wanna imagine a world with caps, with me downloading most of my TV as well as my games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE BURNOUT PICK IT UP RIGHT NOW. RIGHT. NOW.

One of the best driving games of the generation, excellent example of great and cohesive game design too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
classicdms said:

Road Runner in NYC, so no caps for me. I don't wanna imagine a world with caps, with me downloading most of my TV as well as my games.
I'm a University student, I often download three gigabyte games in two minutes in my dorm. :D

RedSwirl

I'll be checking out the demos for Laura Croft and Polynimal tonight. Does Laura Croft play better on a keyboard or controller?

hlhbk

How is the story in Bioshock 2? I couldn't care less about multiplayer, as I play games for the story and loved the first game.

I was going to get The Witcher, but watching a review changed that. The gameplay sounds nice and looks fun, but the slutty looking female characters is a big turnoff. :\ I know it's kind of the standard for the setting/genre, but still... -_-
hlhbk said:
How is the story in Bioshock 2? I couldn't care less about multiplayer, as I play games for the story and loved the first game.
I liked the story and characters in Bioshock 2, more so than the first game. There is some nice emotional payoff at the end, if you get invested. If the good ending for Bioshock warmed your heart, the best ending for Bioshock 2 is even better. :D There isn't quite a silly plot twist in it compared to the first game. Essentially, it was easier for me to suspend my disbelief this time. In terms of the gameplay, it's about the same, though protecting the Little Sisters changes things up somewhat. Also, there isn't a stupid boss fight at the end.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
classicdms said:

i honestly can't imagine a world without caps. its weird being on the inside looking out. kinda sad really, all you can do is hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom