• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

I think I am going to buy RE5 and the Witcher even if I have the Witcher on disc and RE5 on 360. I need more games in my games list :(

Fredescu

ninj4junpei said:
I was going to get The Witcher, but watching a review changed my. The gameplay sounds nice and looks fun, but the slutty looking female characters is a big turnoff. :\ I know it's kind of the standard for the setting/genre, but still... -_-
There are some good strong female characters in the game if that's what you're worried about.

dwebo

Nothing for me today. Didn't particularly like the Lara Croft demo and, in any case, it's 10 cents over my self-imposed per-game limit for the holiday sale. :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fredescu said:
There are some good strong female characters in the game if that's what you're worried about.
And they all bone you if you play your cards right.

Ridli

Gah, I was hoping that not having a windows partition installed on this machine might provide some measure of protection, but Witcher for $5... gah. We'll see if my resolve will last through the night or if I'll be doing a Bootcamp installation this weekend :|

hlhbk said:
The BS2 story is decent. There is no character as awesome as Sander Cohen in BS2 and the antagonist is no Andrew Ryan. But the story is decent. I enjoyed it and played it through on the 360. And Andrew Ryan lives on in BS2 in the form of funky twisted Andrew Ryan Theme Park.

It is definitely worth $10. No 360 controller support though.

Davidion

$12 only today

Was what I would have spent if I didn't decide to scour through the indie section. Then it somehow doubled...

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
The Polynomial
Harvest: Massive Encounter
Ion Assault
Gumboy Tournament
Indie Brain Pack

Flunkie

Banned
Okay, so here's the predicament:

I want the Potato Pack - obviously. Meat Boy and Defense Grid are supposedly in the pack. I didn't buy Super Meat Boy just because I was waiting for the pack. I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and buy Defense Grid now in case A. the pack doesn't materialize or B. the pack is too expensive.

I need advice. I want to do things the most efficient way possible here.

hlhbk said:
I gave you a response on the other page. :(
Me said:
I liked the story and characters in Bioshock 2, more so than the first game. There is some nice emotional payoff at the end, if you get invested. If the good ending for Bioshock warmed your heart, the best ending for Bioshock 2 is even better. :D There isn't quite a silly plot twist in it compared to the first game. Essentially, it was easier for me to suspend my disbelief this time. In terms of the gameplay, it's about the same, though protecting the Little Sisters changes things up somewhat. Also, there isn't a stupid boss fight at the end.
speculawyer said:
The BS2 story is decent. There is no character as awesome as Sander Cohen in BS2 and the antagonist is no Andrew Ryan. But the story is decent. I enjoyed it and played it through on the 360. And Andrew Ryan lives on in BS2 in the form of funky twisted Andrew Ryan Theme Park.

It is definitely worth $10. No 360 controller support though.
While Sophia Lamb is somewhat weaker than Andrew Ryan, I still felt sympathy for her and understood where she was coming from. However, she was somewhat on the annoying side. At least there was no one as annoying as Fontaine this time. -_-

Teknoman

hlhbk said:

IMO its not as good as Bioshock 1, but thats probably because you're abit stronger as a Big Daddy, and alot of the mystery surrounding Rapture has faded away. I havent beaten the game yet, but it does drive you to find out just what a Big Sister is exactly, and the story behind you, one of the first Big Daddies. Its still a good story so far, just the game is a little more... "actiony" than the first one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
shintoki said:
Did he mention you get collected cards of the boned conquests!
:lol Looking like they're ready for action, like he's walking around with a polaroid and snaps a pic before he dives in. I'm kind of surprised you can't show them to guys at the bar to gain street cred.

Bii

Whew, I already have Defense Grid, The Polynomial, and The Witcher. The damage was only $6.50 for me today (Burnout and Puzzle Quest). Although, I am quite tempted to get Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Guess I'll have to decide in the next 14 hours.

Ridli

So just to confirm, the Mega Packs, the Publisher catalogues, the Indie packs, and the Mac deals are good until the end of the sale, right (everything but the red "daily deals" section)?

LCfiner

Ridli said:
So just to confirm, the Mega Packs, the Publisher catalogues, the Indie packs, and the Mac deals are good until the end of the sale, right (everything but the red "daily deals" section)?

yes

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to hold out on Men of War till the other expansions come out. I rather not run into the same problem as I have with DoW II, of buying the expansions. :lol

And has anyway been playing Ironclad? The Indie Deal of the Day. I've been giving it a go and it's kind of fun. Hella rough, but it has it's charm.

Majeh

Ridli said:

That and the Daily Indie Deal.

Double D

Just got around to playing Bad Company 2. Game looks pretty damn good all maxed out. Although, I don't see a huge difference between 4XMSAA and 32XsomethingsomethingAA

DUFFMCWALIN said:
I broke down and bought titan quest and burnout today. GOD DAMNIT STEAM I LOVE YOU.

I have no idea about anything with Titan quest, but I bought it cause it looked like something I would enjoy and it was cheap :lol

I bought defense grid because it looked awesome and I completely forgot that it was a part of the upcoming potato pack.

Dammit steam you win again!

*shakes fist*

Flunkie said:
Okay, so here's the predicament:

I want the Potato Pack - obviously. Meat Boy and Defense Grid are supposedly in the pack. I didn't buy Super Meat Boy just because I was waiting for the pack. I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and buy Defense Grid now in case A. the pack doesn't materialize or B. the pack is too expensive.

I need advice. I want to do things the most efficient way possible here.

I'm pretty sure that the potato pack became the heavy hitter pack. Several of the games are different, but the idea seems the same.

Nabs

shintoki said:
Decided to hold out on Men of War till the other expansions come out. I rather not run into the same problem as I have with DoW II, of buying the expansions. :lol

And has anyway been playing Ironclad? The Indie Deal of the Day. I've been giving it a go and it's kind of fun. Hella rough, but it has it's charm.
Iron Grip is a lot of fun with a few people.

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't going to get anything today, then someone said to buy Burnout and I checked and the metacritic score is...quite high! I'll take a chance for $5 even though I don't play racing games much. :)

RedSwirl

I just tried out the demo for The Polynomial for a bit and I do not understand this game at all: how to play it or how to run it.

The UI for setting up the game is weird and I can't quite get the Xbox controls right despite it clearly being the optimal choice over keyboard controls.

kai3345

Banned
Is there any way around the "Minimum System requirements not met" error message for the witcher?

Its not letting me play the game.

I have an m11x R2 with an i5 processor, and this game came out in 2007, I'm sure I can at least run it on minimum specs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nabs said:
Iron Grip is a lot of fun with a few people.
Decided to buy it already. Servers seem to still get a few dozen people(Non demo), and the RTS/FPS parts while a bit janky are pretty fun. Worse ways I could spend 2.50.

So I'm up to about 11$ spent so far, IronGrip, Croft GOL, Croft Anniversary. Add in my 14$ purchase of Shadowmagic, Stronghold, and Outcast over on GoG. Not a bad way to end the year ^_^

Leatherface

I just gave Prince of Persia (2008?) a try for the first time. I REALLY like this so far. Such a fantastic art style and clever use of a second character. Fighting and acrobatics are fantastic as well.

Anyway, I don't know how I missed the boat on all these games, but this is my first 3D Prince of Persia ever. I never even played Sands of Time! :O

So GAF- did I choose a good one to start with? What do you recommend I play next in the series? I started with this one because I really like the art style and I think I made the right choice, but what is the order of excellence (I own them all now)? Are there any I should just skip all together for now? Thanks!

BTW- Steam Holiday sales make me feel like I'm 10 years old again. HAHA!

Ceebs

Leatherface said:
I just gave Prince of Persia (2008?) a try for the first time. I REALLY like this so far. Such a fantastic art style and clever use of a second character. Fighting and acrobatics are fantastic as well.

Anyway, I don't know how I missed the boat on all these games, but this is my first 3D Prince of Persia ever. I never even played Sands of Time! :O

So GAF- did I choose a good one to start with? What do you recommend I play next in the series? I started with this one because I really like the art style and I think I made the right choice, but what is the order of excellence (I own them all now)? Are there any I should just skip all together for now? Thanks!

I think it's a solid game, but most of GAF hates it because you can't "die" and it's overall ease. I just chose to think of the princess saves as a clever checkpointing mechanic and was able to enjoy it. It is a fantastic eye candy game no matter your take on the actual gameplay.

Leatherface said:

After you finish the 2008 PoP play them in order from beginning to end.

IMO Sands of Time is the best one and they get progressively less impressive.

kai3345

Banned
Ugh. You would think that an Alienware from 2010 would be able to run a game from 2007 with higher than 2 fps on the lowest settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom