• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Ceebs said:
I think it's a solid game, but most of GAF hates it because you can't "die" and it's overall ease. I just chose to think of the princess saves as a clever checkpointing mechanic and was able to enjoy it. It is a fantastic eye candy game no matter your take on the actual gameplay.
It's absolutely one of the most beautiful games out there, but it's something you watch more than you play. I didn't have a problem with the "no dying" bit, but the entire game holds you by the hand. It's probably the most guided experience this entire gen, which made it extremely boring for me. Combat was a mess, as well.

It's relaxing, though, and sometimes that's all you need.

Double D

Holy fuck Witcher is taking forever to load. Got through the main menu and this load screen has been sitting here for like 10 minutes.

careful

Day 1: Super Meat Boy ($3.75)
Day 2: Men of War Gold ($8.75)

I have no intention of playing these games anytime soon with all the other games already accumulating in my Steam backlog, but I just can't resist a good deal. :D (though I try to limit my impulse buys.. ;)
Right now, Gabe got me spending money just for the hell of it. Good job Steam. :lol

coopolon

_Bro said:
150kb/s

For some reason my download stops when I play Meat Boy. :(

Alt tab out of the game, pause the download, then resume the download, then you can proceed to playing your game and dl'ing in the background. Annoying bug.

Bii

coopolon said:
Alt tab out of the game, pause the download, then resume the download, then you can proceed to playing your game and dl'ing in the background. Annoying bug.

You know, I never thought to do that. Although it was directed at someone else, thanks for the tip! :)

coopolon said:

Why did I never think of this :lol

Thank you will try it.

coopolon

Bii said:
You know, I never thought to do that. Although it was directed at someone else, thanks for the tip! :)

And I'm pretty sure after you do it once, you can continue to start new games and it won't happen again until you restart Steam.

DualShadow said:
I have no idea about anything with Titan quest, but I bought it cause it looked like something I would enjoy and it was cheap :lol
Same here. I was like, "Hey, it looks like Diablo II, why not pick it up?" Lol. It reminds me of a mixture of Age of Mythology and DII. I'm enjoying it so far.

lordy88

Alright, the two on the table for me are:

Defense Grid - $2
The Witcher - Director's Cut - $5

Anyone have any thoughts about these respective games? The Witcher doesn't seem interesting enough for me to instantly pick up, i.e. the combat lucks boring, the loot ain't much to be happy about, and the story doesn't seem like it will engage me.

Please tell me why I should (or not) get these games.

Double D

Goddamn, does Witcher run terrible for anyone else? The hell is going on here? Got everything set to Medium and it's running like shit. I can run Just Cause 2 wonderfully pretty much maxed out...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you mean how it's "hitchy" then that is just how the game is. The Infinity Engine is kinda old and shitty.

RedSwirl

Gonna have to pass on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I played the demo and there’s very little wrong with it.

I’ve got to set my quality standards VERY high so as not to add to the already ridiculous pile of games I own but might never get to play on PC alone. I bought 15 games during last year’s Steam Holiday sale and haven’t booted up a single one of them

RedSwirl

Dice said:
If you mean how it's "hitchy" then that is just how the game is. The Infinity Engine is kinda old and shitty.

I thought it was the Dark Engine.

Anyway, I played the demo when the game went on sale last year and I don't remember having any problems running it on my 8800.

Double D

Like I can't even grasp what's happening in combat because of it. Dude's just got his sword over his head and I'm just trying to click on enemies but nothing seems to be happening because of, I guess, how 'hitchy' it is. And yeah, I'd say that's what it's like, but I don't think I can tolerate that throughout the game. Maybe if I knew how to stab a dude with my sword correctly things may go smoother.

Javaman

BobsRevenge said:
I played the demo a while back, and I have to say that there are much better FPS games you could be spending your time with. The polish isn't there and the gameplay is very basic.

It could be much better but where else can you open up on a line of confederate soldiers packing muskets with a full auto submachine gun. The game is low budget for sure, but has it's moments.

From the game page...

Wreak Havoc with Future Weapons in Antiquity: Something nearly every gamer that's ever played a shooter based in the past has always wanted is the ability to bring a futuristic weapon back through history and kick some major butt. How differently would Custer's last stand have turned out if the General was equipped with an M-16 assault rifle? You'll be able to answer questions like this in Darkest of Days. While not every battle and situation will allow you to wield weapons from the future, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to unleash futuristic fury on your unsuspecting foes.

:lol

Ceebs

Vik_Vaughn said:
Like I can't even grasp what's happening in combat because of it. Dude's just got his sword over his head and I'm just trying to click on enemies but nothing seems to be happening because of, I guess, how 'hitchy' it is. And yeah, I'd say that's what it's like, but I don't think I can tolerate that throughout the game. Maybe if I knew how to stab a dude with my sword correctly things may go smoother.
Don't click like you are playing Diablo. Click once and wait for the icon to change before you click again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Vik_Vaughn said:
On the one hand this sounds much worse than the way my computer runs it. On the other hand, the combat does suck, so...

I thought it was the Dark Engine.
It's a heavily modified Infinity Engine. I don't know if they gave it another name.

hylje

Vik_Vaughn said:
Holy fuck Witcher is taking forever to load. Got through the main menu and this load screen has been sitting here for like 10 minutes.

It should not do that. I had some of the files on first download corrupt. Most of the steam games which I experienced problems with had something to do with failed download.

And I've learned from this to verify the files to fix the games. Not always the case but it seems to be common cure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RedSwirl said:
Gonna have to pass on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I played the demo and there’s very little wrong with it.

I’ve got to set my quality standards VERY high so as not to add to the already ridiculous pile of games I own but might never get to play on PC alone. I bought 15 games during last year’s Steam Holiday sale and haven’t booted up a single one of them
If Lara Croft falls below your very high standards, you must only play 4-5 games a year tops. Maybe even less.

lordy88 said:
Please tell me why I should (or not) get these games.
Defense Grid is awesome, and a steal for 2 bucks. One of the best tower defense games on the PC.

I haven't played The Witcher yet... 65% downloaded. :(

I've been hoping to find a good drop on the physical version of the Witcher 'cause I want that real map and guide and soundtrack CD and other goodies but damn...$5 is still damn tempting.

Zzoram

Vik_Vaughn said:
Goddamn, does Witcher run terrible for anyone else? The hell is going on here? Got everything set to Medium and it's running like shit. I can run Just Cause 2 wonderfully pretty much maxed out...

The used an old engine that has isssues loading.

The Witcher 2 will probably run better than the original for a lot of people due to a new engine.

blitz64

I look at my own gamelist on steam and half of them I haven't ever played. Yet I still find myself buying more games.

Bought Burnout, Witcher, and Puzzle Quest for $11.50. 2 games yesterday, 3 today....I don't know if I like this hole I'm jumping down because I'm not sure I can stop!

Javaman

blitz64 said:
I look at my own gamelist on steam and half of them I haven't ever played. Yet I still find myself buying more games.

I consider it a retirement plan. As long as I don't end up with arthritis. :eek:P

Ridli

Blerg, Witcher bought. It'll keep me occupied during the cold January nights. I just can't pass up a full RPG for such a low price. I'm going to be in trouble if Dragon Age or Mass Effect(s) show up too.

What are some thoughts on Tomb Raider Anniversary (to get the LC discount)? Never really played any TR game before. I heard somewhere that the temple locations from Assassin's Creed II were sort of Tomb Raider-esque, is that true? I loved those segments.

Zzoram

For those complaining about The Witcher loading times, every patch they've released so far has reduced loading times and it's STILL this slow :lol

Ceebs

faceless007 said:
What are some thoughts on Tomb Raider Anniversary (to get the LC discount)? Never really played any TR game before. I heard somewhere that the temple locations from Assassin's Creed II were sort of Tomb Raider-esque, is that true? I loved those segments.
Anniversary is great. The AC stuff is kinda like Tomb Raider light. It has a lot of precise platforming coupled with a ton of puzzles.

lordy88

So...why should I get the Witcher? It seems to me that this games consists of the player merely running from Point A to B while clicking on dudes on the way, with a mediocre loot system and a rather uninteresting story.

Prove me wrong GAF

lordy88 said:
So...why should I get the Witcher? It seems to me that this games consists of the player merely running from Point A to B while clicking on dudes on the way, with a mediocre loot system and a rather uninteresting story.

Prove me wrong GAF

It's $5.

IceMarker

lordy88 said:

Prove me wrong GAF
You're just trying to not to buy it aren't you? :lol

Teknoman

Damn Prince of persia maxed out...so beautiful. Soundtrack is great too...combat system doesnt really bother me since it still feels sorta like Sands of time...just a little easier.

Glad I bought it though. 60+ fps too.

2u56fpg.jpg

So im finally trying to play Super Meat Boy and its crashing every time I try to boot it up.

Anybody having this problem?

I'm on Vista 64.

lordy88 said:

Prove me wrong GAF

To be honest I picked it up at this price under Steam's holiday sales last year and Ive only played about 5 hours. Haven't gone back to it in a while although I've wanted to try... I havent had the urge to return. It does seem like running back and forth clicking on dudes. Story has been mediocre at best so far in my opinion. Maybe it picks up. Im sure I'll try it again during my vacation.

I do like the uncensored booby cards though. That's certainly a highlight.

blitz64 said:

I´m up to 10 unplayed games now, of the about 50-60 games on my account. That feels bad enough.

(._.)

Banned
Decided to go ahead and get the R* pack. I need to play the GTA episodes still and I no longer have my PS3 copy of GTA IV. Got like a couple other games for less than a dollar. Looks like a great sale so far.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hrm... that Unreal Deal pack is calling to me. I know I want Unreal Tournament 2k4, and I already have Unreal Tournament 3... but what I'm not sure of is Unreal Gold. Is that game any good in single player mode? I remember liking it back in 5th grade when it came out, but I also liked Pitfall 3D then...

Edit: And while it's not on sale, I'm wondering how good Return to Castle Wolfenstein's single player is these days, too.

Sorry to keep asking questions :(

Chacranajxy said:
hrm... that Unreal Deal pack is calling to me. I know I want Unreal Tournament 2k4, and I already have Unreal Tournament 3... but what I'm not sure of is Unreal Gold. Is that game any good in single player mode? I remember liking it back in 5th grade when it came out, but I also liked Pitfall 3D then...

Unreal Gold was, at the time, one of the best and most memorable single-player FPSs. There's a moment in the first few levels that was so breathtaking it made everyone's jaw drop and the level design was unparalleled. Today it looks somewhat dated but not unbearably so and it's still fun (although it's somewhat old-school in being rather difficult).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom