• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRizzle

Bought Alpha Protocol. Gonna pass on ME since I am playing it for the 3rd time on 360.

I am getting my kid brother a video card for Christmas so he can play games and I've been secretly gifting him games for the last couple weeks, so any time there is a good deal, I end up buying two copies. :lol

eznark

Banned
Forkball said:
For those wondering about Alpha Protocol:

The AI is dumb (you shouldn't even call it Artificial Intelligence because that implies some sort of intelligence), and it is the buggiest game I have ever played. However, the story is interesting if you're into spy stories about international espionage, corrupt governments, backstabs, world on verge of war etc. stuff and the dialogue system is great. If you like making choices and interactive cutscenes you should enjoy this game. However, it's hard to recommend this game because the gameplay is sort of just filler to get to the conversations. It's really love/hate, there's no inbetween.
you are the luckiest PC gamer in the world

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Deathspank isn't really worth the time tbh, while playing it I was under the impression of enjoying it but come to think about it I must've been high or drunk or something because in retrospect the game is very terrible.

Hmm... very tempted to get Darksiders. Does anyone have any ideas of how it'll run on an Alienware M11x?

- C2D overclocked to 1.73 ghz
- 4 gigs RAM
- 1 gig GT 335M

I would think it'd run well enough, right?

robotzombie said:
Is deathspank Mouse and Keyboard friendly?

Or would you need to play it with a gamepad?

Thinking about gifting it to a friend but he doesn't have a pad

Dont want this to be overlooked, gotta act quick before my friend gets home from work and starts buying up everything for himself

Salsa

debating alpha protocol...

i a have a 25 bucks limit on this holiday sale since i tend to go way out of bounds, so its even harder to decide, i want to have at least a little bit of money for the last day D:

aku08

today's gonna break me, and by me i mean my budget of staying within 100 bucks for the whole sale. i want to get darksiders, me2, risen, alpha, and maybe deathspank. fuck.

Red

Felix Lighter said:
Alright, Mass Effect is 9.99. Like I said yesterday, I will gift it to the first 2 people who post a link to there account. All that ask is, if you get please play it. Thanks.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/everluck/

FFFFFUUUUUUU wasn't fast enough.

Oh well. I've played it on X Box like three times, I just want to be able to experience it appropriately for once:lol

RbBrdMan said:
Was it technical problems, gameplay issues, dull story, what was that negative feedback I remember?

Retarded reviewers (and weirdly mostly in the US - look at the metacritic spread between US-centric reviews and Euro-centric reviews) reviewing it like a Hitman game or something instead of as an RPG.

Alpha Protocol is great. Almost the textbook definition of a flawed masterpiece.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Mulling darksiders. Ayer around 6 hours on 360 and I enjoyed the dungeons puzzles and boss fights but what really turned me off were the tutorial levels where you had to perform new move 5-10 times and those stupid gather quests. Does that stuff ease up later on? It felt like filler on an otherwise good game.

Erasus

I have both ME games, but I just need to say BUY THEM OMG!

Getting Darksiders and Alpha Protocol, and maybe Dead Rising and OF:DR.

bestami

Alpha Protocol is a great game with some flaws. If you are interested in the WRPG genre you should definitely play it. There are lots of unique and interesting stuff going on in the game. If you like wrpgs in general, i guarantee you are going to get something out playing this game. Just check out the OT if you don't believe me.

mm04

Darksiders is pretty awesome. Is it different than on console? Yeah, if you consider running at full 1080p at 60fps, different. Just an FYI, when I played through it on my PC, it didn't support Crossfire/SLI. But I ran at a constant 60fps with D3D Overrider on with a single 5770.

Furoba

sonicspear64 said:
It runs really well on my HP dv7-4060 with Phenon II Triple Core (2.1 GHz) and Mobility Radeon HD 5650. Stays in between 40 and 60 fps with everything max at 1280 x 720.

Will probably get Alpha Protocol and/or DeathSpank.

Bought. :D Going to try Dual Shock 3 bluetooth drivers as keyboard controls are quite unplayable. ;p

No steam achievements for Alpha Protocol... that's probably good news. They looked sorta rough on 360. Without them I can just enjoy the game and play it how I want.

Picking up that and Darksiders.

Red

mikespit1200 said:
Mulling darksiders. Ayer around 6 hours on 360 and I enjoyed the dungeons puzzles and boss fights but what really turned me off were the tutorial levels where you had to perform new move 5-10 times and those stupid gather quests. Does that stuff ease up later on? It felt like filler on an otherwise good game.
I'm playing it right now, just mopping up side tasks before the final boss. There are two "rounds" of tutorial arenas in the first few hours, two sets of three for six total. They're annoying and pretty pointless, but they do go away.

If you check the Darksiders OT I have more in depth impressions. I'm playing on 360, so can't say if the PC experience is any better. It's an alright game. That's about all the praise I can give it. Cool concept, some very cool settings, but mostly I wish there was more done with them. I think combat is near-universally awful, which wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't push so many small fights at you. It works best when you're not tied down in an area that's blocked off until you finish off all enemies.

Sound is great, and I like the art style. Wish there were more colorful areas, but that's just me. Bosses are usually a treat, as well.

Sipowicz said:
it looked really interesting but it was panned by critics iirc

i'm seriously in two minds about it
Critics... Meh. The game has some tech flaws, but in the end it's a fun action rpg set in campy spy fiction. I really loved it. Look up the OT if you're really on the fence.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alpha Protocol bought! No money for Darksiders left! DAMN YOU CHRISTMAS AND STEAM! Blood Bowl totally out of reach for me, can't spare 20 Euros for Games right now :(

So, if there's a millionaire on Gaf not knowing where to throw his money, you know what to do :)

JudgeN

Mass effect still $10? I can understand why ME2 is but why the first one? Steam you are kind of lettings me down this year, guess my wallet can thank you.

I should bought ME last year when it was $5.

Lan_97

Felix Lighter said:
Looks like Lan_97 and Dani for Mass Effect. I'll send you a friend request and once you accept it I'll be able to gift it to your account.

Thank you so much! I guess I have to pick up ME2 now :D

Lumine

Buying Darksiders.

I also want Mass Effect 2, but was hoping for a little cheaper. It's been 20 in stores since summer so I was hoping for a bigger cut. Is it 15 in the US too?

Bigfoot

Nothing for me today. ME2 is tempting but I think I might wait for the PS3 version to come out and then drop in price :)

Still waiting for Batman: AA to go on sale and when it does I will buy it and probably the Indie 2D pack. That could be it for me unless there is something to hard to resist... I still have a backlog on Steam from past sales including Torchlight, Freedom Force games, and STALKER: Shadow.

Wallach

Lumine said:
Buying Darksiders.

I also want Mass Effect 2, but was hoping for a little cheaper. It's been 20 in stores since summer so I was hoping for a bigger cut. Is it 15 in the US too?

It's $10 in the NA store.

Dipswitch

I think I'm safe today. I want ME2 on the 360 + the DLC, so I'll likely wait for an ultimate edition next year. Darksiders has me tempted, but I think I'll pass at $10.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so how does the propekt of playing wings of prey with a keyboard and mouse sound? :(

Nothing for me today.

For those debating Alpha Protocol my 2 cents is that it's definitely worth it at $7.50. I just played through and finished it recently and I had a blast. Gameplay wise it's the awkward spawn of Mass Effect and Splinter Cell, but if you like wrpgs the dialogue and reputation systems are worth the price of admission on their own.

EDIT: Anyone play Blood Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom