• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirai Nikki Ep. 1

I wish I didn't know what was going to happen! It sets up the tension well, and Yuno is well freaky. It has been years since I posted in an Anime Season thread, so needless to say, I've been waiting for this one.

NewFresh

Fate/Zero Ep.2

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Ep.02

Click for alternate image
Finally the brain appears! I love the "modernization" done to the story so that it better fits current culture. -Hey Usagi take a picture with your cellphone so that you can change outfits-
Puppet Luna is still by far the best character in the series, but then again Makoto hasn't been introduced yet.

Also, the use of some live action monsters instead of CG ones is a much appreciated addition.

Jex

Hey guys, remember the good old days of anime with awesome art?

grupoc1.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

vas_a_morir said:
Mirai Nikki Ep. 1

I wish I didn't know what was going to happen! It sets up the tension well, and Yuno is well freaky. It has been years since I posted in an Anime Season thread, so needless to say, I've been waiting for this one.

I'm bored........time to check this out!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Darkness Hat Book show does not seem memorable at all two episodes in. It's no Kannazuki no Miko etc. Bad, but not a special kind of bad.

Although there is a lot of inappropriate touching and subsequent blushing and beatdowns. So there's that I suppose.
I really don't the content is that memorable, because it isn't, I'm far more enamoured by the shows constant inability to follow the basics of telling a story through visuals, well, for the first two episodes. Mainly the editing and sickness-inducing camera shake.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
5900209632_14b076299e.jpg

LOOK AT THIS MOTHERFUCKER

ARE YOU LOOKING?

This motherfucker's name is Buddy and he is the most badass bro ever.

Instro

Mirai Nikki 1
Well the show is rather ugly, however the plot is pretty interesting, and it has a good atmosphere. Wakamoto doing the VA for Deus is a big plus. Creepy girl is super creepy.

Cwarrior

Phi Brain ep2 It's puzzle time

Shows silly in a good way and it's aware of it makeing fun of it self in the episode preview.T hecar puzzle was pretty cool and it looks like there going to spend the first few episodes introduceing characters.

those puzzle wants to be solved, you must free those puzzle diamon kiato hehhe

Go_Ly_Dow

Mirai Nikki 1

That was very entertaining. Pink haired girl seems like a very intriguing character.

Hopefully not all the diary holders are maniacs who just want to kill the main character

Will check out the next 2 or so episodes.

Jex

[Anne of Green Gables 21]

anne21.jpg

I really derive a perverse amount of enjoyment from watching an anime series that revels in recreating extremely mundane parts of everyday life in fine detail. It's consistently enjoyable to see how 'minor' events in a small town can affect the lives of the characters.

In this episode, a
teacher leaves the school
and a new minister and his wife move into the town, talk briefly to the main characters and that's about it. Nothing, from a 'big story' point of few happens, but each individual scene is so well written, directed and (often) animated that I really feel engaged by the material in a way that is disappointingly rare. The scene with
all the girls crying
was pretty hilarious, but that's because I reacted in exactly the same fashion as Marilla.

Speaking of Marilla, she's one of the most well rounded, believable characters in the show, which is saying a lot because most of the cast are really well drawn. One of the best parts about how she's depicted in this show is how frequently she responds to Anne in a non-verbal fashion. In other words, Anne will do or say something and we'll cut back to Marilla's expression and we'll understand exactly what she's thinking without the need for clunky, exposition-laden dialogue to explain her internal thoughts. We can read her body language in the same way that we can read the body language of an actual person.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
Caught up to MPD 6 and it is the best show I've seen in years, but I fear that if I run through it too quickly I may overdose and/or suffer withdrawal waiting for more. Love the little small revelations, haven't yet come across an episode that truly felt like fluff. Unlike SKU and those stupid Nanami episodes.
I think past episode 6, it definitely becomes slightly inconsistent with some weak episodes in between 6 and 13 (not like i didn't have my own issues with 6 anyway). But even during it's weakest episodes, the show manages to be pretty good either way.:)

Jexhius said:
[Anne of Green Gables 21]

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/anne21.jpg[/IMG

I really derive a perverse amount of enjoyment from watching an anime series that revels in recreating extremely mundane parts of everyday life in fine detail. It's consistently enjoyable to see how 'minor' events in a small town can affect the lives of the characters.

In this episode, a [SPOILER]teacher leaves the school [/SPOILER] and a new minister and his wife move into the town, talk briefly to the main characters and that's about it. Nothing, from a 'big story' point of few happens, but each individual scene is so well written, directed and (often) animated that I really feel engaged by the material in a way that is disappointingly rare. The scene with [SPOILER]all the girls crying[/SPOILER] was pretty hilarious, but that's because I reacted in exactly the same fashion as Marilla.

Speaking of Marilla, she's one of the most well rounded, believable characters in the show, which is saying a lot because most of the cast are really well drawn. One of the best parts about how she's depicted in this show is how frequently she responds to Anne in a non-verbal fashion. In other words, Anne will do or say something and we'll cut back to Marilla's expression and we'll understand exactly what she's thinking without the need for clunky, exposition-laden dialogue to explain her internal thoughts. We can read her body language in the same way that we can read the body language of an actual person.[/QUOTE]

Don't talk, watch the next episode, because it is the best episode of the entire show.

BluWacky

Erigu said:
[Guilty Crown]

Is it, now?

I like Urasawa's work. Judging by his success, so do a lot of people, and I find his plot twists compelling enough to get sucked into his stories. I'm guessing you're not a fan? To each his own, I guess.

I've only skimmed the comments but I see more people being wary about Hiroyuki Yoshino's work - they may well be right, but I suppose we can only wait and see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kimi to Boku 2: Reiko Yoshida saves anime again!

Seriously though, I'm really digging this show and what it's trying to do. It's all little moments building to a theme, and that's a neat little trick of writing.

That said, I had problems with the second Tulip scene - mostly because it was there only to hammer home the point to people who didn't get it - and direction wise,, like last week's episode, the weird flashback scene at the end of the episode. Although, I'm quite liking the use of cats in the show - it evokes the gaze, but it also evokes the feeling of lazy playfulness.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jexhius said:
More details about that new Oshii comedy that I linked too earlier (yes, you're reading that sentence correctly):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-10-10/mamoru-oshii-creates-chimamire-my-love-manga/anime-hybrid

The only question is, will it be old Oshii, golden Oshii, or boring/modern Oshii?

(In before "All Oshii is boring", "All Oshii is shit", basset hounds complaints, and all that other nonsense.)
Woah, I never thought he'd go back to that style. Excited!

Erigu

[Urasawa Naoki]
BluWacky said:
I'm guessing you're not a fan?
Not really, no.
Although I should really read Master Keaton, one day (but does that one really count? how much of it did he actually write, in the end?).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
PdotMichael said:
sometimes i feel like i am the only one with taste here

maybe I should watch only oldschool animes again.
You've already damaged your reputation so I don't really see the point!

Working!! Episode 01-11:
This is pretty fun. I should finish up the last two episodes sometime later today. Kotori-chan~! <3
QE07V.jpg

Mirai Nikki Episode 01:
Delicious Yuno... YESSSSS!

InfiniteNine said:
You've already damaged your reputation so I don't really see the point!

but here are just train wrecks, so I am still upper class.

and Denpa Onna is a great anime with unique characters, a nice plot and a great OP song. Where are the other Denpa Onna fans?

jman2050

PdotMichael said:
Why is Mirai Nikki so big here?

The manga was ridiculous bad.

Oh hell no.

Anywho...

Squid Girl S2 3

First: I want a buddy cop movie starring Ika and Alex. It would be glorious.

Second: The staff is really doing a good job expanding on some of the weaker manga chapters like this one. This one ended up being quite good. Also the exercise scene had more animation than all of Fate/Zero 1

Third: Weakest of the bunch but still good. It's probably because anything with Goro is never all that interesting.

Next week should be good considering they're adapting the
English chapter

Phi Brain 2

BA KA KA KA KA BA BA KA BA KA BA
That was actually kind of clever.

On the plus side, the voice actors are appealingly hammy, particularly Jun Fukuyama, and the music is well-used, as expected from Sato. On the downside, the puzzles and their solutions are still extremely simple, not that Daimon even bothers to explain how he solves anything. The show is clearly aiming for utter ridiculousness, but they need to up the complexity of the puzzles beyond Rush Hour if they want to achieve that. I don't think I'll spend more of my time on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom