• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

I tried to wait out Penguindrum to let the episodes build up so I can watch it in blocks. Even with the blocks this show is a bit of a chore to watch. I'm up to ten and it's just now getting interesting. So much time was blown on psycho bitch Ringo and her annoying delusions. There's so many threads floating around yet that's the only thing that's been getting any attention. I can only hope the
car accident
means they've turned the page on all that crap and Ringo will be tolerable (or simply moved out of the picture).

Ezalc said:
There was an anime about cans who turn into girls, or something like that. I didn't watch this amazing piece of animation and I can't remember the name of it but it sounds like something right up your alley.

EDIT: Oh look at that I found it, it's called Akikan!

Coincidentally, Sentai has just licensed Akikan!

InfiniteNine said:
It's not that much of an improvement imo

It's not super huge, but it's just enough to bother me.

scy

scy said:
Besides the history lesson, we do get some insight to one character: Honda Masazumi. Tragic backstories so soon?
She has her breasts removed and plans to undergo a sex-change operation to become a boy to fulfill a role for her family (not sure entirely on it due to the wording but seems to just be a servant-esque position for a noble?); she even goes as far as changing her name to Masazumi to hopefully gain the favor of the man.

I'm an idiot and just figured this out due to a rewatch.
Honda Masazumi, historically, served Tokugawa Ieyasu just like "his" father, Honda Mononobu. She basically changes her name (and plans the sex-change operation to become a boy) to try to become that child. Basically, she wanted to fulfill the historical role of the Honda family to serve Tokugawa Ieyasu. Only thing I'm uncertain of ... is that Matsudaira Monobu talking about the fireworks? If so, that's Tokugawa Ieyasu. Looks less awesome than I figured he would...

firehawk12 said:
He's probably the only thing "good" about it anyway. Unless you are a fan of bad looking harems.

I constantly make the bad decision to watch things based off of voice roles. I really should stop that...

Articalys

Looks like there's been another early simulcast leak, though this time it's from the French:
The second episode of the Persona 4 The Animation television anime series with French subtitles has been leaked online. The episode is slated to officially air in Japan on Thursday.

The French website KZPlay, which has the French simulcast rights to the series, currently lists the second episode of the series on its website as being posted on October 11.
Persona 4 Episode 2 Leaked Before Japanese Debut

wsippel

Banned
scy said:
I'm an idiot and just figured this out due to a rewatch.
Honda Masazumi, historically, served Tokugawa Ieyasu just like "his" father, Honda Mononobu. She basically changes her name (and plans the sex-change operation to become a boy) to try to become that child. Basically, she wanted to fulfill the historical role of the Honda family to serve Tokugawa Ieyasu. Only thing I'm uncertain of ... is that Matsudaira Monobu talking about the fireworks? If so, that's Tokugawa Ieyasu. Looks less awesome than I figured he would...
Yeah, that part of the story is completely lost to me, as the little I know about Japanese history is from other anime and Samurai Warriors, where I usually pass out during the incredibly dry exposition cutscene/ history lesson things. Seems the show takes a lot of that stuff for granted, and only (barely) explains the 30 years war aspect, which I really don't need explained as that shit is basically to us Europeans what the Sengoku period is to Japanese kids: Chinese torture... :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
hosannainexcelsis said:
Yeah, after starting with the second season of Working, I find it impossible to go back to the first.
I only watched the pre-air of Season 2 so far but I thought the animation was really underwhelming compared to the first season.

Hellsing321 said:
:lol

In related news here is the Persona 4 OP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw41muE1p0U

It's impressive that such a hyper-cut OP still feels lethargic.

Dance In My Blood said:
I only watched the pre-air of Season 2 so far but I thought the animation was really underwhelming compared to the first season.

I haven't watched much of Season 1, but compared to what I've seen I like the darker colors and slightly more low-key overall tone of Season 2 more.

Cwarrior

Planetes 26 end

Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed an anime so much, easily up there within my top 10.Really likeable characters who have their own purpose, goals and back story who aren’t there for the sole purpose of just moving the main characters story along like most anime but have there own story to tell, also fun watching these characters interact with one another, the show does a great job making you care about the excellent cast so when an emotional moments comes along it really makes an impact.
Really well done drama (anime directors take notes cause this is how it's done), fun watching the main episodic plot while the drama between the characters slowly builds to a climax.
Beautiful Ost that’s really well used placing the right tracks at the right time for maximum impact making the important scenes really memorable.

Now am sad it's finished :(

Going to go read the manga

194c0d912105d32ce405124b0d421105.jpg

Fee Carmichael(like a boss)
Best female character in anime

dimb

hosannainexcelsis said:
I haven't watched much of Season 1, but compared to what I've seen I like the darker colors and slightly more low-key overall tone of Season 2 more.
Moody environments for the grimdark world of Working'!!

Dance In My Blood said:
Moody environments for the grimdark world of Working'!!

Haha, the environments aren't that moody. I just like that, although the characters are not realistic at all, Working'!! feels like it's set in the real world, with a tactile sense of space. It's nice that an anime comedy like this exists.

Dedication Through Light said:
I didnt know there were rumors about harsh conditions for the animation staff (in the comments there), I hope it doesnt lead to the anime not being completed.

The rumors are the lead animator actually quit. I have no idea what is going on at AIC but fuck these guys, give the show to another studio already!

cajunator

Banned
Cwarrior said:
Planetes 26 end

Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed an anime so much, easily up there within my top 10.Really likeable characters who have their own purpose, goals and back story who aren’t there for the sole purpose of just moving the main characters story along like most anime but have there own story to tell, also fun watching these characters interact with one another, the show does a great job making you care about the exellent cast so when an emotional moments comes along it really makes an impact.
Really well done drama (anime directors take notes cause this is how it's done), fun watching the main episodic plot while the drama between the characters slowly builds to a climax.
Beautiful Ost that’s really well used placing the right tracks at the right time for maximum impact making the important scenes really memorable.

This series has been my favorites for years. Such a criminally underrated show.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Coincidentally, Sentai has just licensed Akikan!

It's not super huge, but it's just enough to bother me.

I am so buying this.

Working!! - 3

kWRc7.jpg

My old three episodes rule:
If I can watch three or more episodes of a show, I like it.

Kyōko> Popura > Yachiyo > Mahiru - right?

dimb

hosannainexcelsis said:
Haha, the environments aren't that moody. I just like that, although the characters are not realistic at all, Working'!! feels like it's set in the real world, with a tactile sense of space. It's nice that an anime comedy like this exists.
I kind of felt like season one of Working!! wasn't funny enough to be a comedy. It tends to work much better as a drama when it hones in on the relationship and potential conflicts between specific characters.

The S2 opener did disappointingly play it like a straight comedy though.

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
The rumors are the lead animator actually quit. I have no idea what is going on at AIC but fuck these guys, give the show to another studio already!

But I thought people were going to eat their words? :O

iavi

Cwarrior said:
*Planetes

Really well done drama (anime directors take notes cause this is how it's done),

Goro is the second god, seated at the right hand side of Oda. He went on to grace us with Geass, after all.

Unknown Soldier said:

So bad even the production team is saying 'Fuck it.' I once had a dream about a P4 adaptation. This was not how it went.

Dance In My Blood said:
I kind of felt like season one of Working!! wasn't funny enough to be a comedy. It tends to work much better as a drama when it hones in on the relationship and potential conflicts between specific characters.

The S2 opener did disappointingly play it like a straight comedy though.

I can't imagine these characters sustaining a drama I can take seriously.

zeroshiki

hosannainexcelsis said:

If it was turned into a drama, it'd either be super low budget like Arakawa or have the melodrama and relationships turned waaay up.

zeroshiki said:
But I thought people were going to eat their words? :O

There's no evidence the anime is going to be canceled at this point. If AIC proves unable to fulfill their contract Atlus will probably give it to someone else. I actually wouldn't mind A-1 Pictures doing it but they are busy with idorus at the moment.

PdotMichael said:
Working!! - 3

http://i.imgur.com/kWRc7.jpg[IMG]

My old three episodes rule:
If I can watch three or more episodes of a show, I like it.

[spoiler]Kyōko> Popura > Yachiyo > Mahiru - right?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Yes, that is correct.

dimb

hosannainexcelsis said:
But at the same time I can't imagine them being funny enough to sustain a comedy.

It's a real conundrum.

Jintor

Cwarrior said:
Planetes 26 end

Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed an anime so much, easily up there within my top 10.Really likeable characters who have their own purpose, goals and back story who aren’t there for the sole purpose of just moving the main characters story along like most anime but have there own story to tell, also fun watching these characters interact with one another, the show does a great job making you care about the excellent cast so when an emotional moments comes along it really makes an impact.

You and me man

we're like dis

/edit Hmm, looks like The Anime Network fixed their region blocking coding, no more legit simulcasting for me

Dance In My Blood said:
But at the same time I can't imagine them being funny enough to sustain a comedy.

It's a real conundrum.

Which is why I think the current approach the show is taking - subdued slice-of-life mixed with light comedy - is the best one for the material.

Ezalc

Hunter x Hunter original END

Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen HxH

Well I didn't watch the OVAs yet, but I have to say that was pretty awesome and not awesome at the same time. It boggles my mind how this has been running for how long has it been now? Since the 90s(the manga that is)? and there are only like what four arcs in it? Good lord. It also bothers me how Gon who's supposed to be the main character is basically one of the weaker members of the group. Another thing that irritates me is how Leorio is used for nothing more than comedic relief. I realize that in every shounen there's a typical ladder of power in the good guys' team but what the fuck man with Leorio it just completely drops off. It just makes me wish for a shounen that has at least some kind of balance. For all that happened it was interesting if disappointing that Gon literally went almost nowhere meanwhile Kurapica is up off kililng people with basically fully mastered abilities and shit.

NewFresh

flawfuls said:
Kite

Hahahahaha that was sure was something.
You can pull your pants back up now.

I remember someone here explaining why Umetsu had all the graphic violence and sex in this and Mezzo Forte. At the time he was working with Green Bunny and they demanded he include it. Or something like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
And what if you're a fan of can moe?
In... indirect kissu!!!!!!!!! *blush*

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's in pure sitcom mode, but I'm sure they'll find a way to add in the sentimentality at some point.

Cwarrior

Jintor said:
You and me man

we're like dis

/edit Hmm, looks like The Anime Network fixed their region blocking coding, no more legit simulcasting for me

we're like waht waht?

Ezalc said:

Well I didn't watch the OVAs yet, but I have to say that was pretty awesome and not awesome at the same time. It boggles my mind how this has been running for how long has it been now? Since the 90s(the manga that is)? and there are only like what four arcs in it? Good lord. It also bothers me how Gon who's supposed to be the main character is basically one of the weaker members of the group. Another thing that irritates me is how Leorio is used for nothing more than comedic relief. I realize that in every shounen there's a typical ladder of power in the good guys' team but what the fuck man with Leorio it just completely drops off. It just makes me wish for a shounen that has at least some kind of balance. For all that happened it was interesting if disappointing that Gon literally went almost nowhere meanwhile Kurapica is up off kililng people with basically fully mastered abilities and shit.

Most of your complaints are "why isn't this like those other generic shouenens shows, why does it do its own thing and not follow the shounen for dummies guide lines".

- gon is not the weaker member of the group, he can hold his own, kuripika power is only most powerful when dealing with spider clan cause of the contract he made, thank god gon is not overpowerd from the get go like most main leads.

-Deal with it, kurpica is the central character in the spider clan arc cause of his personal past with them, you can't have gon hug every arc his already had a lot focus with the others arcs and gets more later on.

Ezalc said:

I think you'll probably like OVAs 2 and 3. 1 focuses on Kurapica some more (though it's still good).

But yeah, the progression is really atypical for a battle shounen, for better or worse. Togashi probably just wanted to try something different after the somewhat standard Yu Yu Hakusho while still at least attempting to stay within the basic structure of the genre.

As for why it's been going on for so long; well you probably already know about all the hiatuses. The most recent arc which was around 80 chapters or so took something ridiculous like 7 years to complete. Wouldn't even take 2 if the guy stuck to a normal schedule. Though the hiatuses might be over for now with the remake and all. Who knows though.

Squid Girl has lost it's edge in season 2. The Squid Girl is just too nice now. She used to be selfish and cocky and quick to anger. So far this season she just goes around being nice and doing nice things for people. What the hell? And she shouldn't be able to be beat up by a dog, she has super powers.

Dresden

Trent Strong said:
Squid Girl has lost it's edge in season 2. The Squid Girl is just too nice now. She used to be selfish and cocky and quick to anger. So far this season she just goes around being nice and doing nice things for people. What the hell? And she shouldn't be able to be beat up by a dog, she has super powers.
She's a squid, they should be eating her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom