• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
But damn, that theme song. So goddamn catchy. In fact, I am listening to it as I type. I give Gosenzosama Banbanzai 262.7/304.3 in the final judgment. Add or subtract 100 points based on how much postmodernism you can handle before chucking your laptop out the window.
Sounds like something Oshii would make. But I imagine you don't think it's his "best work", as 7th does?

Jex

Krev said:
Persona 4 02
This show is very poorly directed. Tone is all over the place. Nothing connects.
Joule said:
Persona 4: The animation 1+2
The weakest thing about the show is the transitions. It feels too stitched together. They cut a lot of the fat out of the intro/tutorial part of the game but the pacing is janky with out good transitions.
So it turns out GAF was right all along?

Jex

duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Ep14

Errr.... not a very good episode. I didn't like the direction, nor the err... developments. It says a lot when the best thing from the entire episode for me, was seeing how stylized the CG car in the episode was. That was really weird. I dunno... I think I need to go ly down.
Normally this kind of comment would worry me. Normally. I probably don't see eye to eye with you on character or story or tone anyway, at least with regard to this series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
They cut a lot of the fat out of the intro/tutorial part of the game but the pacing is janky with out good transitions.
That is what happens when you jam in 3 hours of content into 40 minutes.

zeroshiki said:
Even better!
But fabulous borders on the ironic...

scy

cajunator said:
Fuck that. I was on board with Guilty Crown from the moment I saw Inori.
Call me shallow I guess.

Pretty much sold me on the show originally anyway. I still need to watch the first episode though...

Damn it work. Damn it...

cajunator said:
what character is in your avatar?

Kuroki Tomoko
(It’s Not My Fault That I’m Not Popular!)

Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in, who has all of the qualities of a "mojo."

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

iavi

Jexhius said:
You're right, compared to some of the awfully paced work that has come out of Japan in recent months, it was nice to see something move swiftly.

Swiftly at the cost of all sense?

InfiniteNine said:
Except not nearly as interesting.

How could it be? It doesn't have Haqua.

scy

InfiniteNine said:
Except not nearly as interesting.

It just doesn't have the interesting cast to support it; all this has going for it so far are the freaky eyes that belong in Higurashi. TWGOK is a pleasure due to the girls.

And datHaqua, obviously.

duckroll

Idolmaster Episode 14

Solid follow-up to ep13. I like how they're tying together various plot lines while introducing actual antagonists to the series. Looks like there's going to be solid drama ahead. This feels like a pretty great "start of season 2" episode in terms of narrative. Oh and the fruit costumes. Omg. I almost died. So good! :D

Idolmaster Episode 15

Best episode of the series so far. Amazing pacing, amazing direction, great gags, great animation, lots of solid art, and OMG at "that" movie trailer. I don't think I need to say much here, because there's nothing much to be said other than that it was a fucking awesome episode. :D

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Well most plot/character/situation elements aren't necessarily bad or good, it just depends on the skill of the creative team.

Of course, some things are inherently bad. I wouldn't say any of those are in Guilty Crown yet.
Well, I was mainly referring to
the main character being presented in a completely uninteresting way, and the randomness of him having an editing suite in an abandoned warehouse. And then for no apparent reason the evil soldiers decide not to thoroughly search the warehouse or the student who is suspiciously present.

Jex

Miri said:
Swiftly at the cost of all sense?.
Pacing has nothing to do with making sense! Not that there was much plot anyway.
firehawk12 said:
That is what happens when you jam in 3 hours of content into 40 minutes.
Or when you try to "copy and paste" rather than adapt.

Sophia

Jexhius said:
So it turns out GAF was right all along?

I think the most people expected was it to be by the books above average. Once Seiji Kishi was announced as the director, nobody expected anything actually GREAT. At best, it was going to be good and nothing more.

Sad fact is, the actual adaption is pretty faithful so far. The director just sucks, plain and simple. :\

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai 2

Still not sure what to think about this show...

But hey, Ass shot with no glimpse of panties? That's my type of 'censorship'.

pci3a.jpg

iavi

Jexhius said:
Pacing has nothing to do with making sense! Not that there was much plot anyway.

Hmm, you're joking, right? It is one of those nasty super relative elements of which a writer has no real control over, but pacing has everything to do with 'making sense'...

Jex

Miri said:
Hmm, you're joking, right? It is one of those nasty super relative elements of which a writer has no real control over, but pacing has everything to do with 'making sense'...
You're right in that they're connected but it's not a 100% correlation. I mean, you can have really slow, awful pacing and a show will still 'make sense'. Or you can have awful, Tomino pacing but the story will still 'make sense'.

Of course, bad editing can damage the flow of a story and make it very confusing.

cajunator

Banned
75 bucks/set is totally worth it for all the extra swag.
I love me some SWAG.
Anybody remembers the Scrapped Princess volumes with the figurines? 50-60$ apiece. and I bought all 6 of them. Madoka's prices aint no thang for a crazy person.

scy

PdotMichael said:
Isn't Twgok a comedy with moe elements?

"It’s Not My Fault That I’m Not Popular!" is more a absurd social-drama.

I suppose; NotPopular seems a bit absurd for the sake of absurdity of what little I've read. Not sure what it's trying to do, honestly, short of mocking the lead a lot. TWGOK is more of a parody of harems that plays it straight with a smirk. And then moe girls all day.

Dynedom

Unless you guys were expecting full plot exposition in the first episode of the series (Guilty Crown), you need to calm down. If things don't make a lick of sense within 3 episodes, then you have a legitimate gripe. Hell, that's where my Rule of 3 comes into play too.

Things like what Branduil brought up are more relevant (mainly
the soldiers not searching where they're supposed to. I don't really care about the lack of explanation of the abandoned warehouse. It's not exactly a deal-breaker for me and seems like reaching a bit to find nonsensical stuff with the show. The baffling inability to SEARCH the warehouse, however, seems inexcusable
). This show still can be a trainwreck but it's definitely no Horizon from the onset.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
75 bucks/set is totally worth it for all the extra swag.
I love me some SWAG.
Anybody remembers the Scrapped Princess volumes with the figurines? 50-60$ apiece. and I bought all 6 of them. Madoka's prices aint no thang for a crazy person.
Seems like junk to me. I like a normal case, or a thick box/digipak.

Not that I'd buy Meduca anyways.

cajunator

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
:lol

I guess Bandai isn't the only company still crazy enough to do volume releases.
well...I bought the KON discs..all three Blurays.
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I grew up buying anime like this too. Volume by volume like it was late 90s to mid 00's. If that is what it takes to get the industry healthy again, I'm fine with it. although I HATED waiting for the next volume. That was the worst part.
When Kino's journey was being released the wait for the nest disc was excrutiating.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I grew up buying anime like this too. Volume by volume like it was late 90s to mid 00's. If that is what it takes to get the industry healthy again, I'm fine with it. although I HATED waiting for the next volume. That was the worst part.
When Kino's journey was being released the wait for the nest disc was excrutiating.
If anything this cruddy pricing model makes the industry less healthy because about 5 people are going to buy it at that cost.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PdotMichael said:
Isn't Twgok a comedy with moe elements?

"It’s Not My Fault That I’m Not Popular!" is more a absurd social-drama.
Sounds more like Onani Master but with a girl then.

---

Imas 15: I think I'm more fascinated by a variety show driven by a group more than anything else. I imagine this is what the Osmond Family show would have been like.

I really don't get what they're doing with Miki though. Now she's just flirting with the Producer out in the open? I suppose that's why she's one of the more popular characters. :p

I also wonder if they couldn't have done this episode straight, without the cuts to the backstage or outside the studio. They probably could have bought an hour long slot somewhere anyway.

cajunator said:
This pricing model is what nearly killed the industry in NA in the first place. Companies were licensing far too much crap and charging far too much for it. Which is why once broadband penetration reached a big enough level, piracy exploded on the Anime scene. It also didn't help that fansubs had a long history in the Anime scene in NA with VHS tapes. The fanbase in NA is fundamentally different because the majority just care about the show itself. They don't care about all the useless merchandising that surronds the shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
This pricing model is what nearly killed the industry in NA in the first place. Companies were licensing far too much crap and charging far too much for it. Which is why once broadband penetration reached a big enough level, piracy exploded on the Anime scene. It also didn't help that fansubs had a long history in the Anime scene in NA with VHS tapes. The fanbase in NA is fundamentally different because the majority just care about the show itself. They don't care about all the useless merchandising that surronds the shows.
Bandai did what they did because they're desperate. Aniplex is doing this because they know people will buy it. They probably could have sold the box set for 400 dollars if they wanted to.

cajunator

Banned
firehawk12 said:
No, usually it's 40+ dollars for the whole season.
yes, closer to this now.
It was never 70 bucks for a volume, but there was never a BR/DVD/CD sort of combo per volume either.
When there was extra stuff, it was easily 50-60 bucks though.
I have a hat from Kiddy Grade volume 1 with the original artbox and I'm pretty sure I spent 45$ at least for that privelege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom