• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like to eat a Squid after an episode of Squid Girl.

oTBYg.jpg

duckroll

Penguin Drum Ep14

Errr.... not a very good episode. I didn't like the direction, nor the err... developments. It says a lot when the best thing from the entire episode for me, was seeing how stylized the CG car in the episode was. That was really weird. I dunno... I think I need to go ly down.

Articalys

Some more news on the second season of Amagami SS.

- name for the second season will be "Amagami SS+ plus"
- airing in January 2012
- each of the six heroines will be featured in a two-episode chapter in an omnibus format
- all anime-original content (I think)

CR news article
MAL news article

Reknoc

Persona 4 - 2

No amount of love for the game made this episode interesting. At least I now know not to get too excited for the next boss fight scene since it'll probably be background noise instead of a decent fight scene. :(

Steroyd

Boku Tomodachi - 02

Gintama has destroyed any enjoyment I could get out of computer game parodies destroyed I tell you destroyed.

cosmicblizzard said:
One Piece

I am caught up! On to the New World (OT).

This brings my currently watching long running show count up to 5:

Gintama
One Piece
Toriko
Sket Dance (for now)
Hunter x Hunter (for now)

Wow One Piece but no Naruto Shippuden or Bleach?

Articalys said:
So, with pretty much all the new shows of the season having debuted, here's a list of all the ones that, for whatever reason, were not picked up for simulcasting in at least one region:

C3
Phi Brain
Tamayura
Maken-Ki
Mashiro-iro Symphony
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Shana III
Ben-To

I hope Phi Brain is at least picked up for domestic release.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Articalys said:
Some more news on the second season of Amagami SS.

- name for the second season will be "Amagami SS+ plus"
- airing in January 2012
- each of the six heroines will be featured in a two-episode chapter in an omnibus format
- all anime-original content (I think)

CR news article
MAL news article

When the heck did this get announced?

vzqcJ.gif

Looking forward to some more Miya, nishishishi~.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Ep14

Errr.... not a very good episode. I didn't like the direction, nor the err... developments. It says a lot when the best thing from the entire episode for me, was seeing how stylized the CG car in the episode was. That was really weird. I dunno... I think I need to go ly down.

?

XkG5d.jpg

Steroyd

It's best not to look at Amagami SS as a 24 26 episode series but rather 6 girl arcs that are 4 eps long + 2 epidodes.

Never gets better than the first 4 eps, but Rihoko was a fun watch to.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Watch Amagami for Sexhair, stay for the rest.

It's really a bunch of OVA's tied together rather than an actual series. Definitely best to watch it by arcs rather than by any kind of episode count.

NewFresh

Un-Go
Pun
Ep.01

I love a good detective mystery and the premise has a lot of potential, but wow that was poorly done. If you are going to do a mystery show, you need good cases for you detective character to solve, not ones that take 3 seconds to figure out. The viewer wants to follow the mystery, not be 15 steps ahead of our protagonist.

If the cases are going to be like this perpetually I'll probably drop it. But the idea behind it seems solid, even the
magical
elements that they haven't explained yet.

Articalys

Un-Go 1

So is episodic then? Anyway, I like the characters, and Aki Toyosaki sounds like she's having fun with her role. Will stick around to see what's next.
Opening and ending songs are ace as well. Thought I recognized the former, and it turned out to be from the same band that did [C]'s ending song.

e: Damn, I have 13 shows on my "watching" list. Probably gonna wind up cutting out Horizon and Tomodachi though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Articalys said:
Un-Go 1
Opening and ending songs are ace as well. Thought I recognized the former, and it turned out to be from the same band that did [C]'s ending song.
Ah. It sounded very familiar.

Articalys

With this, both remaining TWGOK characters are set up against a Puella Magi next round, so... yeah.
E2
1st 227 Haqua Du Lot Herminium @ The World God Only Knows
2nd 196 Ayumi Takahara @ The World God Only Knows

F1
1st 410 Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 183 Yoshika Miyafuji @ Strike Witches
dEG88.png

kLkN4.png

duckroll

Guilty Crown Episode 1 Redux

I watched it again. It's even better the second time. Knowing what to expect, and knowing the various beats of the episode makes it even more enjoyable. The direction is definitely super entertaining, and I love how things just HAPPEN. There's no time wastage, no filler, it's just THIS IS WHAT THE SHOW IS ABOUT and IN YOUR FACE (and IN YOUR EARS). So good. Can't wait for ep2.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah that''s what I liked about guilty Crown. It doesnt drag, SHIT JUST GOES DOWN SON.

Also, I found a picture that made me HNNNNGH something fierce
89I9B.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai Episode 01-02:
Pretty fun so far! The galge portion of the second portion of episode 2 made me laugh so hard all the way through.

Articalys

Idolmaster 15

That was an amazing episode, pure comedy through and through. Lost of great skits, including
punk rock-style Makoto driving an entire audience of girls into a frenzy
, but I fucking lost it at the
giant robot movie trailer with the Azusa-bot boob missles and the Chiyaya-bot deflecting them with its flat chest
-- actually, that entire segment was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while. Not much for the plot (preview seems to show it'll be back next week), but everyone in the cast got their moment though some did have more screentime than others. If you still have any interest in this series you really need to see this episode.

Also, there were a ton of clumsy Haruka moments (one of which actually happened to Eriko Nakamura and Asami Imai, apparently) if you're into that sort of thing, along with a few more Miki "honey" references.

e: Holy shit. Apparently the aforementioned
giant robot sequence
was
animated by Hiroyuki Imaishi
?

Sophia

Persona 4 would be a whole lot fucking better if the director learned how to transition scenes. The actual scenes aren't bad, but it just isn't coherent at all. :(

Also, BRB, Watching Guilty Crown for the 15th 2nd time.

Jex

duckroll said:
Guilty Crown Episode 1 Redux

I watched it again. It's even better the second time. Knowing what to expect, and knowing the various beats of the episode makes it even more enjoyable. The direction is definitely super entertaining, and I love how things just HAPPEN. There's no time wastage, no filler, it's just THIS IS WHAT THE SHOW IS ABOUT and IN YOUR FACE (and IN YOUR EARS). So good. Can't wait for ep2.
You're right, compared to some of the awfully paced work that has come out of Japan in recent months, it was nice to see something move swiftly.

Sophia

I wouldn't even really care if Guilty Crown was an almost total rehash of Code Geass' plot. The pacing, directing, and production values were so superb compared to what's come out of Japan recently.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aniplex of America, the American arm of the Japanese production company Aniplex, announced at its New York Comic Con panel on Friday that it will release the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime on Blu-ray Disc as well as on DVD, starting February 14.

The first volume will be released on both Blu-ray Disc and DVD on February 14. The second volume will follow on April 10, and the third volume will ship on June 12. Preorders will start on the online retailer Right Stuf on October 17.

There will be a limited edition box with the DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and the original soundtrack. The box will bundle a 24-page booklet, a double-sided poster, a Kyubey sticker, collectible postcards, a trailer collection, and credit-less opening and ending animation footage.

via ANN

cajunator

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Aniplex of America, the American arm of the Japanese production company Aniplex, announced at its New York Comic Con panel on Friday that it will release the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime on Blu-ray Disc as well as on DVD, starting February 14.

The first volume will be released on both Blu-ray Disc and DVD on February 14. The second volume will follow on April 10, and the third volume will ship on June 12. Preorders will start on the online retailer Right Stuf on October 17.

There will be a limited edition box with the DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and the original soundtrack. The box will bundle a 24-page booklet, a double-sided poster, a Kyubey sticker, collectible postcards, a trailer collection, and credit-less opening and ending animation footage.

via ANN
I AM ON THAT LIKE KYUBEY ON A GIRL WITH A WISH.

Jex

Marrshu said:
Persona 4 would be a whole lot fucking better if the director learned how to transition scenes. The actual scenes aren't bad, but it just isn't coherent at all. :(
Um, that's such a fundamental thing in, you know, film form, that the fact that he can't do it yet bodes very poorly for his future.

farnham

Banned
cajunator said:
Yeah that''s what I liked about guilty Crown. It doesnt drag, SHIT JUST GOES DOWN SON.

Also, I found a picture that made me HNNNNGH something fierce
89I9B.jpg
never made that connection
mind blown

firehawk12

Subete no aware
darkside31337 said:

via ANN
Oh wow, 3 volumes? Fuck that. I'm out. I thought they learned their lesson with the Baccano set.

Jex

Branduil said:
Well unfortunately they also borrow lots of stuff from bad shows, like lame protagonists and contrived scenarios.
Well most plot/character/situation elements aren't necessarily bad or good, it just depends on the skill of the creative team.

Of course, some things are inherently bad. I wouldn't say any of those are in Guilty Crown yet.

Joule

Persona 4: The animation 1+2: I feel like I should be holding a ps2 controller in my hands while watching this show. It really is the game in anime form. Didn't have too much problem with the art quality and the second episode didn't seem much worse than the first despite that whole twitter thing. The weakest thing about the show is the transitions. It feels too stitched together. They cut a lot of the fat out of the intro/tutorial part of the game but the pacing is janky with out good transitions.

On the music, while it's kind of cool that they got Meguro, I feel like some of the game tracks could of been reworked/remixed to fit the anime more. At least the scene with
Yosuke's shadow battle
. The music and visuals didn't mesh that well together (although this is perhaps more on the part of the visuals). I guess this is bound to happen given how straight this adaptation has been thus far.

The scene with
Yosuke getting punched
was pretty amusing but I hope the other scenes for the other characters is a done up a little better.

Chie is still the best thing. Dat Horie. While JP Kuma started off unbearable but after a couple episodes it's not too bad. Kind of missing some of that English VA.

Random bits:
-I like how the mid episode eyecatches show Yuu's stats increasing.
-The OP song is pretty nice.
-It would of been cooler if while Izanagi was beating up shadows, Yuu was just unbuttoning his shirt like a boss as someone I know put it.

Yeah if you liked the game you'll probably enjoy this. It could be better though regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom