• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Hunter x Hunter 3

Killua took that juice like a boss. Guess this is the start of the censorship, at least it's fabulous censoring.

Fate/Zero 2

This was a hell of a lot better than the first episode. Things actually happened and characters were actually developed in ways that didn't involve people spouting endless words of exposition at each other. I'm on board for the next episode.

Steroyd

Ezalc said:
HxH remake 3

Jesus christ Hisoka's new voice sucks ass, and that whole juice bit was terrible.

Yeah freshly coming off the end of the Hunter exam arc in the old series, Hisoka's voice just doesn't have the eerie creepy factor to it, which is pretty damn important with what's to come.

And I think that was the first bit of censorship to, I havn't seen flower petal shaped blood since Karin... or at least I assume that was supposed to be blood when that guy disintegrated.

Jex

duckroll said:
There is nothing T_T about this!

Your name isn't firehawk12.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
More of a cult.

What's wrong with F/Z?

I only saw episode 1 so far and saw nothing wrong. Well, I guess you could be turned off by the fact that episode 1 is 40 minutes of info-dumping and character introduction. Though I generally don't ever expect much out of the first episode of a series.

Fate Zero 2

If it is one thing I've loved so far about this show is how no one is hogging all the spotlight and even if the last master wasn't really to my liking but I definitely appreciate how the show gave the pair some screen time, looking forward to the 3rd ep.

Digimon Xros Wars S2 - 2

I got goosebumps seeing Shoutmon and the rest of the Taiki's old digimon again, although Tagiru was less annoying in this ep. compared to the previous one I still dont like him, it reminds me of the way I felt about Digimon Adventures S2 having new characters and turning the S1 characters into supporting roles. :(

C3 ep 3
tumblr_lt64g43zBo1qg78wpo1_500.gif

I liked the rain at this moment, nice touch for the conversation and emphasis. Ultimately the episode just left me saying "thats it?" They could have really extended the first moments, shown more attacks building off of the previous episode.
Guillotine and Wheel were nice
. Hope to see many many more.

Blader5489 said:
Guilty Crown 01

I'm impressed with how, in the span of ~20 minutes, a show could alternate so effortlessly between kinda cool and total trash.

Guess I'll keep with it for at least another ep.

I love the premise and all the characters except for the main character. I'm sick of "woe is me I'm so socially crippled that I must obsess over not being able to protect the people that are important or touch girls" dudes.

Get rid of Shu and just make Gai the lead male.

Dresden

distantmantra said:
I love the premise and all the characters except for the main character. I'm sick of "woe is me I'm so socially crippled that I must obsess over not being able to protect the people that are important or touch girls" dudes.

How about they get rid of the lead males and the main girl and just make the show about the wheelchair girl.

Fate/Zero 1

I went back and finished this thanks to the positive impressions for the later episodes, and I have to say it was better than I expected. This episode, and consequently the series in general, made the unfortunate choice of starting with its weakest material. The dull long-distance wide-angle shots and awkward circle walks mostly go away after the 20 minutes I originally watched. It's still exposition and not extremely visually interesting until the very end, but the setup is interesting and some of the characters introduced, especially Waver, are neat. I'm on board with this show now. Especially since I have only the slightest knowledge of F/SN, I'm very curious to see how the story will turn out.

Also, after watching Gankutsuou and now this, Jouji Nakata is becoming one of my favorite VAs.

duckroll

Dresden said:
How about they get rid of the lead males and the main girl and just make the show about the wheelchair girl.

So you're basically saying that you hope they both die in ep2, and wheelchair girl takes over as the lone mecha pilot hope of the nation of NIPPON? I could deal with that!

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Fate/Zero 1

I went back and finished this thanks to the positive impressions for the later episodes, and I have to say it was better than I expected. This episode, and consequently the series in general, made the unfortunate choice of starting with its weakest material. The dull long-distance wide-angle shots and awkward circle walks mostly go away after the 20 minutes I originally watched[...]
I think once you know what you're getting yourself in for you can ride out the storm.

Ben-to 2

:lol This show is so dumb and ridiculous and so earnest in its pursuit to be dumb trashy entertainment I can't help but love it. All the terminology and mythos, and speeches about honor interspersed with the numerous male-gaze shots make me laugh out loud almost every minute.

Is Saber the annoying female character type that is a skilled warrior but compensates not having a penis by always being serious and never smiling or showing any emotion other than anger?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obsessed said:
Is Saber the annoying female character type that is a skilled warrior but compensates not having a penis by always being serious and never smiling or showing any emotion other than anger?
Seems like it.

Steroyd

Obsessed said:

To be fair she did have Shiro as her master.

Hunter X Hunter 3

Flowers?

I like all the characters we get introduced to here, but if there's going to be this kind of censorship maybe I should just stick to the original anime/manga.

firehawk12 said:
Seems like it.

So basically people that like her either like her for her looks, or have a dominatrix fetish. Or both. Or they want to "tame" her.

Either way she is a shitty character who only has sex appeal?

Reknoc

hosannainexcelsis said:
Hunter X Hunter 3

Flowers?

I like all the characters we get introduced to here, but if there's going to be this kind of censorship maybe I should just stick to the original anime/manga.

Well, the manga didn't show anything either so it's quite possible he got his arms flowered off! (probably not though)

Jex

Obsessed said:
That pretty much covers a wide range of anime/manga writers attempting to write "strong female characters".

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
That pretty much covers a wide range of anime/manga writers attempting to write "strong female characters".

I'm trying to think of a female character that disproves your point but I can't.

Jexhius said:

I know. And I hate every single one of those strong female characters.

Make them strong without making them sound deadpan serious or pissed off (generally for no good reason) 99% of the time.

Actually... thinking back. I did like Homura Akemi. I can handle deadpan serious. I can't handle "grr I sound pissed off for no reason."

Jexhius said:

we need more good old female characters from Masamune Shirow

too bad, he makes only erotic artbooks...

Deunan Knute... Motoko Kusanagi... two true strong female lead characters.

Fate/Zero 2

Rider is amazing! Strikes the perfect balance between goofiness and raw power. He and Waver make the best duo.

I loved the summoning scene and the final scene after that. Very exciting,
especially how the Assassin's approach to the Tohsaka manor was shot
. Things are heating up now!

So the reason Saber is female is because King Arthur was a woman pretending to be a man? Uh, sure.

Instro

Obsessed said:
That doesn't describe her current Fate/Zero incarnation no. She was something closer to that in Fate/Stay Night iirc.

Branduil

PdotMichael said:
we need more good old female characters from Masamune Shirow

too bad, he makes only erotic artbooks...

Deunan Knute... Motoko Kusanagi... two true strong female lead characters.
I haven't read the manga, but I don't really think Motoko is that great of a character. I like almost all the other GITS characters more.

Jex

[Anne of Green Gables 24]

Anne really is old school clumsy-moe. She's so adorable.

anne24.jpg
anne24b.jpg

It really tickles my plum how all the women are competing to have the puffiest sleeves. Truly, the height of fashion warfare.

I hope this series never ends.

Jex

Hossana should write more about War in the Pocket and One Piece 6.
Branduil said:
I haven't read the manga, but I don't really think Motoko is that great of a character. I like almost all the other GITS characters more.
Motoko has a pretty solid character, even if she's not my favourite. She's not just "gruff".

There are actually plenty of other examples! You just need to think harder.

Jexhius said:

The Major from GiTS was a strong female character who was serious most of the time, but no more than the rest of the characters. And she smiled and joked when appropriate

hosannainexcelsis said:
Fate/Zero 2

Rider is amazing! Strikes the perfect balance between goofiness and raw power. He and Waver make the best duo.

I loved the summoning scene and the final scene after that. Very exciting,
especially how the Assassin's approach to the Tohsaka manor was shot
. Things are heating up now!

So the reason Saber is female is because King Arthur was a woman pretending to be a man? Uh, sure.

Rider is definitely awesome, and I can't wait to see how they show that fight later on.

For Saber, originally
Saber or rather King Arthur as Saber was supposed to be male in the original drafts for Fate stay night. You can read about the blurb here. The entry is at the top along with a picture with no spoiler info, however do not scroll down for other characters as you may be spoiled on other things.

Instro said:
That doesn't describe her current Fate/Zero incarnation no. She was something closer to that in Fate/Stay Night iirc.

I've only seen episode 1 of F/Z so I was asking if my initial impressions of her were correct. Firehawk said yes, but you are saying no.

Who do I believe :(

Branduil

Jexhius said:

Motoko has a pretty solid character, even if she's not my favourite. She's not just "gruff".

There are actually plenty of other examples! You just need to think harder.
Well, this may seem superficial(though given the importance of presentation in visual media, I don't think it actually is), but it makes it difficult to take her character seriously when she dresses like a streetwalker, especially when all the other characters dress very practically. It's an issue of the character design working against the characterization.

Jexhius said:
Once I have a little more time, I will! But in brief, both are easily top tier works with very little if anything to complain about. War in the Pocket in particular is one of the best examinations of the impact of war I've seen in any medium.

Wheeljack539 said:
For Saber, originally
Saber or rather King Arthur as Saber was supposed to be male in the original drafts for Fate stay night. You can read about the blurb here. The entry is at the top along with a picture with no spoiler info, however do not scroll down for other characters as you may be spoiled on other things.

If only Fate/Stay Night wasn't an eroge...

Jex

For reference:

Motoko – Ghost in the Shell
Balsa – Guardian of the Sacred Spirit
Noa – Patlabor
Shinobu – Patlabor
Kanuka – Patlabor
Kumagami – Patlabor
Maki – Airmaster
Kaori – Airmaster
Kai – Airmaster
Yuki - Airmaster
Revy – Black Lagoon
Balalaika – Black Lagoon
Christina – War in the Pocket
Sochie - ∀ Gundam
Oscar – Rose of Versailles
Kei – Dirty Pair
Yuri – Dirty Pair
The cast of Sailor Moon
Utena – Utena
Juri – Utena
Lafiel – Crest of the Stars
Michiko – Michiko e Hatchin

Etc. There's plenty more!

Thoraxes

distantmantra said:

In shows like these, the first episodes never matter. Those issues aside, that show was very pretty. Also Gai is a badass. Also Inori is pretty adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom