• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Miri said:
To talk it out and contend my point is one thing, but to forgo that and instead engage in a passive agressive circle-jerk of rabid fandom is flat out annoying.
Labelling positions that disagree with own as "circle jerks" isn't particularly helpful.

iavi

Jexhius said:
Labelling positions that disagree with own "rabid circle jerks" isn't particularly helpful.

You don't want to get labeled as participating in one, don't participate in one. It's as simple as that.

Hitokage said:
Miri: Your support is flawed.

Ok... how so? I'm not stating my postion as fact. If I'm wrong, tell me how. Nobody gets anything from this.

Jex

Miri said:
*Sighs* This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not only is it 'just an anime,' but its from a director who seems to frequently catch free passes for his screw ups (Bad episodes are totally the garbage tier 'episode directors' fault when Ikuhara put him in charge and even participated in storyboarding!), so to question its fallibility must really mean that it just has to be met with mess like this.
I don't actually know what this has to do with the argument you are making. You've already labelled supporters of the show rabid fans, now you're implying that these fans feel certain creators, in this case Ikuhara, are infallible...which means? I don't get it. Especially when no one has ever said that.

Jex

Miri said:
You don't want to get labeled as participating in one, don't participate one. It's as simple as that.
I think it would be more constructive to attack the arguments, rather than the positions of the posters. Even if there's a large amount of people who like a show, and they show enthusiasm for it, that doesn't make it a circle jerk. People have complained about the show, most recently lots of people had bad things to say about episode 14.

So when lots of people post positive impressions, and you disagree, and people respond, it's because lots of people liked it, that its. Not because they have an inability to critique a show that they enjoy.

iavi

Jexhius said:
I think it would be more constructive to attack the arguments, rather than the positions of the posters. Even if there's a large amount of people who like a show, and they show enthusiasm for it, that doesn't make it a circle jerk. People have complained about the show, most recently lots of people had bad things to say about episode 14.

...You were in that little group of quotes. Read your post, and ask yourself if that was an argument capable of being contended. You're not an idiot.

So when lots of people post positive impressions, and you disagree, and people respond, it's because lots of people liked it, that its. Not because they have an inability to critique a show that they enjoy.

...And neither am I. Come on, man.

Jex

Miri said:
...You were in that little group of quotes. Read your post, and ask yourself if that was an argument capable of being contended. You're not an idiot.
Not every post I make is actually entirely serious or part of an argument about a position, which is why it wasn't directed at you. That's why it was flippant. It's hard to be serious all the time.

But yeah, it was a bit unnecessary. I should have structured it as part of a larger argument.

Jex

Fate/Zero 1/Fat/Zero/Fat 0

Well, that was an extreme amount of world building. I'll definitely echo early complaints about it's overall pacing, 45 minutes of this is hard to deal with. Yes, I know they have a lot to set up, but it's still a bit too much. That's not really the first thing that sticks out my mind when I think about the episode,
naked little girls covered in bugs
is a bit more memorable. That particular scenario was very 'anime', and had me rolling my eyes.

Still, apart from that the episode itself was shot in a fairly respectable manner, apart from that one circling scene, and the pacing and editing felt very deliberate (despite being too lengthy). The most notable thing about the show is all the wide angle shots, which really let the characters blend into their locations, making the whole thing feel more 'real'. When you have a bunch of close-ups on characters and little on their backgrounds it makes a show feel less 'grounded' in a place. This show is very 'grounded' because of this cinematography. It has a 'movie' feel to it which I appreciate.

The storyline, while pretty silly in concept, is presented in a very serious fashion, which I guess is one of the only two ways to do a show of this sought. You either embrace the ridiculousness of it, or you play it straight. I think they handled it pretty well.
Miri said:
To summarize my stance one more time: One moment they show that the Seizon Senryaku does take place in a subconscious state of sort, in the next she pulls a brother from all the way across town. Funny thing was, I was easily able to suspend disbelief until ep 9 in which they showed that, yeah, it is a subconscious ordeal, which really jived with me but did the rest of the show a complete disservice. That is an inconsistency
I can definitely see what you mean by that, but there are also magical penguins, so I'd say it's pretty hard to pin down what is actually happening in the shows 'reality'. Man, that sounds like a cop-out answer when I don't actually mean it like that.

Steroyd

Miri said:
To summarize my stance one more time: One moment they show that the Seizon Senryaku does take place in a subconscious state of sort, in the next she pulls a brother from all the way across town.

"Pulls a brother from all the way across town" I don't remember this, and if it is a subconcious affair wouldn't range not matter?

Funny thing was, I was easily able to suspend disbelief until ep 9 in which they showed that, yeah, it is a subconscious ordeal, which really jived with me but did the rest of the show a complete disservice. That is an inconsistency.

How did you last till episode 9? Because episode 2 was riddled with questionable penguin rules interaction with the real world for the sake of comedy, or as you put it "this is anime".

Jex

For Hitokage, as he recommended it:

[Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 4]

During the opening of this episode I was genuinely confused. I really thought I was somehow watching the wrong show. I mean, I assumed I was watching a ‘harem show’ and instead I was treated to all this:

Battles!

tm4a.jpg

Space stations!

tm4c.jpg

Vulcans!

tm4b.jpg

The opening sequence focuses exclusively on world building, plot set-up and new character introduction. They didn’t return to the main cast of characters for a whole six minutes. That’s like, 25% of the whole episode. That’s interesting for a couple.

Firstly, is a harem show that cares about setting up some kind of plotline, and it’s not just drivel. It’s kind of pulpy, 80’s era science fiction, which in itself, is very enjoyable. The show doesn’t just use the genre as window dressing either; it ties directly into the characters and plot. Oh, and I really dig the shows actual aesthetics, that's some sweet mechanical design.

Secondly, they don’t try to compress anything down. This new character isn’t just dropped into the current cast – they have a fairly lengthy introduction, which is really nice to see. It’s not like they’re the most amazing, well-written characters around, but the show treats them with a certain amount of respect.

The episode sure switches gears fast though, as we arrive here:

tm4d.jpg

Yep, its your classic hotsprings/bathhouse episode – except, not quite. Yes, the character dynamic established beforehand leads to a plenty of scenes featuring the usual raunchy hyjinx but this is modified nicely by the particular powers these characters. In other words, they have the same kind of quarrels as you’d usually see, but now the fights can get a little out of hand.

tm4e.jpg

Another interesting thing to note is that the show manages to switch between different moods and tones quite well, rather like Gintama. One minute we are in comedy routine, the next minute our protagonists are actually in danger! Hell, this episode even has a dramatic cliff-hanger conclusion, which forced to check out the next one immediately. It’s pretty great.

tm4f.jpg

For those who might be put off by this show because it's a "harem work", don't be. There was a time when that didn't automatically mean 'bad, low quality series'. This OVA is a really fun show that was clearly made with a lot of love, and it reminds me of a period that has now passed into anime history.

Reknoc

Neuro 2

Oh, I thought you were setting up to start from the beginning next episode... I guess... I guess not? Instead it's a filler episode. I was some what interested in filler, since hey, more Neuro! But if the rest of the filler mysteries are as good as this one I can do without them thanks! Uninteresting crime, obvious culprit, and even how they did it was boring, I don't mind the second one as long as the third one is good. As expected though, it seems Neuro's sadism has been toned down quite a bit.

Ben-to 2
tumblr_lt5sy2bZkz1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Cool cell phone background for the main character. I really enjoy the animation and intensity during the fights and to some extent a degree of cooperation. I wonder what other competition they will face in the future and the brunette needs to be named (or at least her face shown?), I cant ever recall main character looking at her in the face. I enjoy cheering for him though.
When the Wizard caused the Boar/Pig to speed up and fall, I couldnt stop laughing

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Why did you have to make this sound interesting? Now I have to add it to my backlog :(

The original OVA was always interesting. Over the years it got stereotyped to all hell. Granted, the two alternate universe TV series didn't help. :/

Articalys

The fourth Puella Magi joins her teammates in the next round, while IS proves it's not dead quite yet.

G2
1st 532 Kyouko Sakura @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 306 Kokoro Akechi @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes

H1
1st 451 Houki Shinonono @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 341 Aria H. Kanzaki @ Hidan No Aria

Another break today, then the group finals begin on Monday.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 ep 2
tumblr_lt4et78QAG1qh8754o2_250.gif

I love how silly Takano and Onodera can get. Its so funny with Onodera now in the manga place and being the only one serious about working while everyone else isnt (that one guy who just wants to drink, lol). Yokozawa is annoying but finally getting him and Takano straight was good. Next episode better have Yuu.

RurouniZel

Mawaru er... what the fuck happened here? 14: I'm pretty sure I don't like where this new arc is going. Emo-Shoma is stupid, nothing is happening, and then
randomly lesbian rape time. I mean, I guess she liked Momoka but still, this is just getting weird, and not in a good way.

It feels like the writers wrote themselves into a corner, had no idea how to get themselves out of it, and are just throwing random shit at the screen now in the hopes that it'll appear relevant to the story or something.

scy

Deadly said:
Anyone still watch Shana? Shit this arc is looking to be pretty awesome.

I still am, though it's half out of obligation to see this through. The
Seirei no Hebi arc is pretty awesome, though
. I'm just hoping Shana gets a decent send off on this.

RurouniZel said:
It feels like the writers wrote themselves into a corner, had no idea how to get themselves out of it, and are just throwing random shit at the screen now in the hopes that it'll appear relevant to the story or something.

I wouldn't say "random" but
Yuri's status came rather out of left field, and I say that when I expected her to be evil from her introduction!
Besides that, nothing felt too irrelevant or out there to me.

I'll say that I'm really looking forward to how this gets handled, though. A bit more than I've looked forward to Penguindrum in the past.

Steroyd

RurouniZel said:
Mawaru er... what the fuck happened here? 14: I'm pretty sure I don't like where this new arc is going. Emo-Shoma is stupid, nothing is happening, and then
randomly lesbian rape time. I mean, I guess she liked Momoka but still, this is just getting weird, and not in a good way.

A bit presumptious to say they wrote themselves into a corner and threw random stuff when we don't know the entails of their fate, or the true meaning of project M, plus Ringo's arc did a good job at
highlighting how far someone was willing to go to make Project M work, emo Shoma also highlights how isolated both him and Kanba feel to the world because of what their parents did while playing "happy family" with Himari, so his attitude makes sense when he finds out that Ringo's sister was one of the victims at least.

BluWacky

Do the Japanese have the same disdain for Infinite Stratos we do, or do they like it unironically? I assume that by this time next year they'll have moved on from it in SaiMoe? I know the show sells well, but is it because they're buying the show to mock it?

RurouniZel

Steroyd said:
A bit presumptious to say they wrote themselves into a corner and threw random stuff when we don't know the entails of their fate, or the true meaning of project M, plus Ringo's arc did a good job at
highlighting how far someone was willing to go to make Project M work, emo Shoma also highlights how isolated both him and Kanba feel to the world because of what their parents did while playing "happy family" with Himari, so his attitude makes sense when he finds out that Ringo's sister was one of the victims at least.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.
Shouma's being emo is sort of understandable to some extent, but the way he completely blew off Ringo felt out of place for the character when she's obviously not upset with him (or appears not to be anyway). He doesn't strike me as a "I don't like you, fuck off!" type character either (note: he didn't actually say anything, I'm referring to attitude, not dialogue). He seems like the sort who'd just be more passive-aggressive about his disdain or something. :/
And I'm sure they have a plan for Project M at some point, but it feels like they're going to shove that all in at the end and just do some random emo/angst stuff for several episodes until they get that far. I hope the show proves me wrong though, because I've really enjoyed it to this point.

Anyhoo.

Ben-To 02: Show of the season, right here. Best laughs I've had for a while. I hope it can keep up the pace.

LordCanti

RurouniZel said:
Shouma's being emo is sort of understandable to some extent, but the way he completely blew off Ringo felt out of place for the character when she's obviously not upset with him (or appears not to be anyway). He doesn't strike me as a "I don't like you, fuck off!" type character either (note: he didn't actually say anything, I'm referring to attitude, not dialogue). He seems like the sort who'd just be more passive-aggressive about his disdain or something. :/
And I'm sure they have a plan for Project M at some point, but it feels like they're going to shove that all in at the end and just do some random emo/angst stuff for several episodes until they get that far. I hope the show proves me wrong though, because I've really enjoyed it to this point.

Anyhoo.

It's likely just a pattern with them.
People find out who their parents are, and run like hell in the opposite direction. It's been happening to them for years, to the point where they kind of put up walls to insulate themselves from getting hurt by having it happen again. When Ringo found out that their parents were responsible for Momoka's death, Shoma figured that she'd hate them eventually, even if she didn't at the moment. There is also likely a sense of "stay away from us because we're cursed" in there, with him not wanting Ringo to get wrapped up in their problems
That was my take anyway.

I agree with you about
Yuri
though. Other than her
name
there was nothing to indicate that she was
capable of drugging Ringo, and possibly raping her
It was completely out of left field, and it left me wondering why they didn't
foreshadow it at all
. I guess we can figure that
Sanetoshi told her to do it in some way, in order to get Momoka back or something
but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm going to love finding out how
Yuri plans to keep Ringo quiet about this. If she ties her up, she's going to know something happened, even if she's been roofied. I'm just not sure what her plan is...a night of passionate love making to an unconscious person? How does that fix her problems?

They need to right the ship, and save anime next week. This week wasn't saved.

Steroyd

RurouniZel said:

He seems to be carrying an enormous amount of guilt towards what his parents did, and it just hurts him tremendously to see a relative of one the victims, he tried to make up with Ringo 2 chapters ago when he made curry for her after they had a little spat on the train, but it all went tits up when he learned about Momoka.

Or we are treated to batshit insanity, the show seems to swing between the two as the latest episode shows.

RurouniZel

LordCanti said:
It's likely just a pattern with them.
People find out who their parents are, and run like hell in the opposite direction. It's been happening to them for years, to the point where they kind of put up walls to insulate themselves from getting hurt by having it happen again. When Ringo found out that their parents were responsible for Momoka's death, Shoma figured that she'd hate them eventually, even if she didn't at the moment. There is also likely a sense of "stay away from us because we're cursed" in there, with him not wanting Ringo to get wrapped up in their problems
That was my take anyway.

I suppose, but didn't he volunteer this information himself? It's not like she "found out", he basically told her. I dunno, hopefully this sorts itself out soon.

Steroyd said:
He seems to be carrying an enormous amount of guilt towards what his parents did, and it just hurts him tremendously to see a relative of one the victims, he tried to make up with Ringo 2 chapters ago when he made curry for her after they had a little spat on the train, but it all went tits up when he learned about Momoka.

That's true, I'd forgotten that.

RurouniZel said:
I suppose, but didn't he volunteer this information himself? It's not like she "found out", he basically told her. I dunno, hopefully this sorts itself out soon.

That's true, I'd forgotten that.

Yeah he did offer up the information, though it seemed to be because he felt guilty and needed to confess.

Plus
the hat did mention that she wanted to make it clear that Shouma and Ringo were connected by fate. She probably would have said something if Shouma didn't.

Fate Zero 1

Despite being 40+ minutes long I still enjoyed it, must something wrong with me. Anyway I find the characters involved in this war far more interesting than the ones in FSN and not to mention no one is as annoying as Shirou, or rather I hope no one develops to be as annoying as him.

SonicX_Zero said:
Fate Zero 1

Despite being 40+ minutes long I still enjoyed it, must something wrong with me. Anyway I find the characters involved in this war far more interesting than the ones in FSN and not to mention no one is as annoying as Shirou, or rather I hope no one develops to be as annoying as him.

Waver Velvet is the best character.

Blader

Guilty Crown 01

I'm impressed with how, in the span of ~20 minutes, a show could alternate so effortlessly between kinda cool and total trash.

Guess I'll keep with it for at least another ep.

Dynedom

duckroll said:
You're doing yourself a disservice. FSN sucks donkey balls. No one will defend it.

Oh I never said FSN was good. I mean, Zero could end up being great but I'm taking a break from anime that will make me T_T.

You can blame Now and Then, Here and There for this.

edit: Yes, I understand it won't be nearly as depressing but this is a Type-Moon anime. I still haven't forgiven them for Shingetsutan Tsukihime either. T_T

duckroll

Dynedom said:
Oh I never said FSN was good. I mean, Zero could end up being great but I'm taking a break from anime that will make me T_T.

You can blame Now and Then, Here and There for this.

There is nothing T_T about this!

d1p4x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom