• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Guilty Crown Episode 2

Yeah. This show is exactly what it wants to be. Nothing more, nothing less. It is illogical, it is filled with shameless fanservice, it has explosions, robots, special powers, oppressive militants, insane villains, and a ton of DRAMATIC shit. It is SUPER OTAKU ANIME. But boy is it entertaining. Nothing in this show is subtle, everything is over the top. Even the exposition is dramatic. Lolz.

Oh, and I noticed that the assistant director of Guilty Crown is Hiroyuki Tanaka. That makes another semi-major Madhouse departure in Guilty Crown. I really wonder if this show was at some point supposed to be a Madhouse vehicle, and when it failed to take off they all BAILED OUT (lol) to Production IG to make it.

duckroll said:
Un-Go Episode 2

I really like detective stories and solving mysteries in fiction, so if every remaining episode is similar to ep2, even if it's not great, it would still be more fitting of what I want out of a detective anime compared to Gosick. It's a limited genre, so I'm kinda limited in terms of choice. :/
Glad to hear the second episode of Un-Go is more competent. I too am a big fan of mystery stories and am disappointed that there are so few examples of the genre in anime. I asked in here if any of all existed beyond Conan when I was watching the first season of that (which reminds me I need to get back to that sometime), and the only answer I got was Spiral, which, well...

Steroyd

Guilty Crown - 02

So we have someone who has Lelouch level of planning, action action action, coupled with tits and ass shots.... oh and mecha's galore. Yep this sure is aiming at a specific demograph.

And that bailout scene is going to happen every episode isn't it? :lol

BluWacky

hosannainexcelsis said:
Glad to hear the second episode of Un-Go is more competent. I too am a big fan of mystery stories and am disappointed that there are so few examples of the genre in anime. I asked in here if any of all existed beyond Conan when I was watching the first season of that (which reminds me I need to get back to that sometime), and the only answer I got was Spiral, which, well...

Have you ever watched any of Kindaichi's Case Files? That's supposed to be half decent. Plus recently there was Himitsu ~ The Revelation, which was admittedly about "psychic" detectives (in a very scientific way - not like Psychic Detective Yakumo) but might have ended up okay in later episodes (the first episodes was mind-numbingly dull, however... not doing very well on the recommendations here...).

Cautiously looking forward to getting around to Un-Go 2 tonight now.

scy

Steroyd said:
Guilty Crown - 02

So we have someone who has Lelouch level of planning, action action action, coupled with tits and ass shots.... oh and mecha's galore. Yep this sure is aiming at a specific demograph.

And that bailout scene is going to happen every episode isn't it? :lol

Action, mecha, and T&A? Isn't that trying to aim at like every demographic?

Branduil

scy said:
Action, mecha, and T&A? Isn't that trying to aim at like every demographic?
Well the first episode showed no attempt to appeal to the good-taste demographic.

And I'm not sure people who like CG mecha count as mecha fans.

scy said:
That's really the biggest "crime" of Horizon. After some translation debacles and overthinking things, it's actually not all that confusing; no more so than any other character heavy show, anyway. It's paced horribly, though. Some shuffling of events and direction might have gotten more intrigue in earlier and been at the same point. Now I think I get why the books are so thick.
So you think that the books are similarly very slowly paced, and they're just trying to be like the books? Sounds plausible... but yeah, it is an issue in eps 2 and 3 particularly.

Also, the
maid assassin is one of the Matsudaira living dolls. I assume this is part of his "fireworks!" from the end of Episode 2 he mentioned.
Oh, okay.
So the question is, who's the target...

It's taken four episodes (so far!) for a confession; I'm not sure I can handle the prolonging of a character death or anything else.
Heh... yeah, good point. :)

I really hope so, based off of how Asama speaks at the start/end of the episode; that this is their
last normal night before some event changes everything
. The delay to getting to more "interesting" bits, especially after using the first episode as basically a long action sequence, is probably causing a lot of lost interest. Exposition can only go so far.
It certainly sounded to me like that it the case, yes, but I guess we'll see, ep. 1 made it sound like the confession was very soon, but it's ep. 3 now and it still hasn't happened. But it's got to be close now...

In that case, there's also the introduction of
Tachibana Muneshige (and I'd wager that's Ginchiyo beside him, with the way she acted)
, though not much to say about them yet.
What, are those more people from Sengoku? (I assume yes)

I'll be honest, I half thought it was a flashback to someone elses past (Masazumi, notably). I had to check a few more times to see if I was just overlooking a year somewhere. I imagine he has to have some importance. I mean, we have a large enough cast as is, why add (potentially) two more people?
Yeah, I assume those characters will become relevant in the main plot later.

Well, he thinks himself as
responsible, it seems. Primary responsibility or not, you're right that we can at least say has some part in it. With the amount of remorse and guilt he seems to have over it, I just don't see him as thinking himself as anything but the culprit, though.
Well, it did look like the two of them were playing, or he was running after her, or something, which caused her to not pay attention and get hit by that carriage (her own father's carriage, of course), so I can see why he'd blame himself, if that is indeed what happened... I'm just saying, it's not all his fault.

And I still want to know how the hell did Tori convince
Masazumi's dad and that other guy to be the ghosts. Or is it juts misleading that their carriage had the anime girl pillow case that was used for the ghosts at the end? :/
Because everyone likes/feels bad for him, so they can't refuse him things when he asks them, I guess... that's the best reason I can come up with anyway.

jman2050

Guilty Crown 2

This show is some of the most blatantly trashy type of epic mecha T&A genre blending shenanigans. Everyone involved so desperately wants us to take this seriously when we clearly can't at all.

You'd think Shu was a parody of whiny high school protagonists if they clearly weren't intending otherwise.

It's pretty funny.

scy

Branduil said:
Well the first episode showed no attempt to appeal to the good-taste demographic.

Oh you.

I'd say something else but I'm also about to draft a bunch of words about Horizon so, shit, my taste is invalid.

And I'm not sure people who like CG mecha count as mecha fans.

Touche.

A Black Falcon said:
So you think that the books are similarly very slowly paced, and they're just trying to be like the books? Sounds plausible... but yeah, it is an issue in eps 2 and 3 particularly.

I think it's less that the books are slow paced and more that there's a lot of words for everything that happens. At least, I hope so otherwise a two cour run of this means we might make it a week later in the story (it's been one day!)

Oh, okay.
So the question is, who's the target...

Yeah, that's the confusing bit.
I mean, Matsudaira should be a good guy, right? He's goddamn Tokugawa Ieyasu after all. I'd imagine if he's trying to assassinate anyone, it'd be someone from the Testament Union or something like that. Like, maybe the King or whatever that was brought to the class when Tori was stripping.

It certainly sounded to me like that it the case, yes, but I guess we'll see, ep. 1 made it sound like the confession was very soon, but it's ep. 3 now and it still hasn't happened. But it's got to be close now...

Well, it is soon (the next day). We just haven't had a full day yet.

What, are those more people from Sengoku? (I assume yes)

Yeah; Muneshige is a pretty famous western Japan general
Honda Tadakatsu from the forest scene is the greatest of the East, if not the greatest of the period; Muneshige is his western counterpart essentially
. Ginchiyo is irrelevant in history but I think she got a fanbase from the Sengoku games, lol.

Well, it did look like the two of them were playing, or he was running after her, or something, which caused her to not pay attention and get hit by that carriage (her own father's carriage, of course), so I can see why he'd blame himself, if that is indeed what happened... I'm just saying, it's not all his fault.

I don't know, I thought she looked terrified the way she kept glancing back. I haven't rewatched the episode yet and I watched it half asleep the first time so maybe I'm pulling the wrong feeling from it. Still, I'm willing to be it's NOT all his fault but the way the events transpired in front of him (as a child, no less) made him think of it that way.

Because everyone likes/feels bad for him, so they can't refuse him things when he asks them, I guess... that's the best reason I can come up with anyway.

Seems weak, though. I mean, it's the best I came up with too and I can see
the one guy going with it; he recognized the package as an eroge. Masazumi's dad, though? wat.

Then again, the entire forest scene with three of the four Heavenly Kings (...and Futayo) was a lot sillier than I figured any of the big names would ever be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guilty Crown 2 and Ungo 2: Yeah, I'm out. Guilty Crown is just horrible for pretty much the same reasons that I despise Geass - self-important theatricality. There's an attempt to give everything stakes, yet everyone acts like a high school drama club student spouting off fabulous lines and I don't think I can take it.

With Ungo, it's clear that the only episode worth watching will be the last one, because thematically every episode will lead to how the failed detective will finally come to a head with the government. Of course, you can bet the daughter will learn the truth and be forced to choose sides.

I can't believe this is what noitaminA has become. I mean, at least Eden of the East was interesting as a science fiction show. These are just Fractale-like exercises in futility.

Who is she?

Persona - 1

re737.jpg

Persona - 3

s1aBv.jpg

I don't remember her from the game? Is it maybe Marie, but she has black hair?

r1Fpf.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Un-Go 02
This show is an odd one.
As has been said, it's a positive actually has a mystery and deduction, as opposed to last week's 'here's the crime and here's the solution' approach. That said, it was a fairly simple case. The decision to include a supernatural element is puzzling, but fortunately this week it's not really used as a shortcut, since it only confirms for the detective something that was already very obvious. The downside is that too much time is spent on a simple idea that only needed to be briefly touched upon as part of the detective's summation speech.
I'm wondering if every episode is going hinge on some truth that can't be revealed for the sake of post-war Japan's pride.
While nothing special, this show is quite a pleasant watch. It moves along at a brisk pace, the art direction is interesting and likeable, production values are very good for a show of this type, and the music is great.
Holy shit, that ED is cool.
I like duckroll's theory, and it gels with the image of the detective standing in flames in the ED sequence.
icarus-daedelus said:
That's what you get for not living in America. Enjoy your precious universal healthcare and affordable tertiary education, because we get pengu on Thursdays. :smug:
Oh, that's not what I'm referring to. I just mean the wait might be a bit longer this week.
Usually, I'm perfectly happy with our affordable tertiary education and universal health care and Penguindrum Fridays.

firehawk12 said:
Guilty Crown 2 and Ungo 2: Yeah, I'm out. Guilty Crown is just horrible for pretty much the same reasons that I despise Geass - self-important theatricality. There's an attempt to give everything stakes, yet everyone acts like a high school drama club student spouting off fabulous lines and I don't think I can take it.

But you weren't supposed to take Code Geass seriously. Well... you were, but doing so makes the series awful. GC really is CG 2.0 in that respect.

scy said:
I think it's less that the books are slow paced and more that there's a lot of words for everything that happens. At least, I hope so otherwise a two cour run of this means we might make it a week later in the story (it's been one day!)
Hah... yeah, could be... :)

Yeah, that's the confusing bit.
I mean, Matsudaira should be a good guy, right? He's goddamn Tokugawa Ieyasu after all. I'd imagine if he's trying to assassinate anyone, it'd be someone from the Testament Union or something like that. Like, maybe the King or whatever that was brought to the class when Tori was stripping.
Matsudaira is Tokugawa? Oh, okay... yeah, I would think that'd make him a good guy. But replacing all of his servants with robots and then sending one as an assassin don't really seem like good-guy moves...

Well, it is soon (the next day). We just haven't had a full day yet.
Indeed, the first three episodes are all set in day one.

Yeah; Muneshige is a pretty famous western Japan general
Honda Tadakatsu from the forest scene is the greatest of the East, if not the greatest of the period; Muneshige is his western counterpart essentially
. Ginchiyo is irrelevant in history but I think she got a fanbase from the Sengoku games, lol.
Alright, makes sense. And popular from games only? Sure, why not... :)

I don't know, I thought she looked terrified the way she kept glancing back. I haven't rewatched the episode yet and I watched it half asleep the first time so maybe I'm pulling the wrong feeling from it. Still, I'm willing to be it's NOT all his fault but the way the events transpired in front of him (as a child, no less) made him think of it that way.
Huh, you thought she looked scared? I didn't see that in it... maybe I need to look at it again too. But yes, either way, I can see why he'd blame himself, it's just not all his fault.

Seems weak, though. I mean, it's the best I came up with too and I can see
the one guy going with it; he recognized the package as an eroge. Masazumi's dad, though? wat.
Well, the show has repeatedly shown how everyone seems to like him, so it's not THAT hard to believe really, I think. I mean, if you can accept that it's reasonable for them to all like him that is. :)

Then again, the entire forest scene with three of the four Heavenly Kings (...and Futayo) was a lot sillier than I figured any of the big names would ever be.
I didn't really quite get what was going on there, beyond the obvious I mean...
so they were talking about stuff, then she attacked him, but he stopped her... was there something to that beyond just a joke? Maybe I need to watch it again...

Dynedom

So it seems I've forgotten quite a bit about older anime I watched around college, to a rather alarming rate. I seem to remember key events in say Zeta Gundam but for the most part, the series is a blur. This is probably because I marathoned the crap out of it back in the day. I also made the mistake of doing this for Legend of Galactic Heroes and I regret it even more so (because the latter was a much better series than the former from what I remember).

To remedy this, I am embarking on an epic RTTP of LoGH.

First, however, I'll also be doing some LTTPs of the following OVA's:

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Golden Wings (done with review coming shortly)
Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Legend of Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War (some purists/Jexhius may hate me but I'll be watching this instead of the first 2 episodes of the 1st season)

Once that's done, it's on to the main series. I'm going to watch about 2 episodes a day (I know, insane but you should have seen the rate I was going at when I first watched it).

Onward we go! One thing will admit is that my anime tastes have definitely matured since college so I'm hoping I've matured into absorbing/appreciating LoGH MORE. I don't want this to be a series that I go back and watch and be all "god dammit. Big mistake". I have faith though.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
With Ungo, it's clear that the only episode worth watching will be the last one, because thematically every episode will lead to how the failed detective will finally come to a head with the government. Of course, you can bet the daughter will learn the truth and be forced to choose sides.

I don't think this is true at all. The failed detective isn't "really" a detective. He also has no interest in actually delivering any form of justice. There are no sides in this, because the only point of the entire show is the human condition.

Branduil

Obsessed said:
But you weren't supposed to take Code Geass seriously. Well... you were, but doing so makes the series awful. GC really is CG 2.0 in that respect.
Yeah but the protagonist in CG was actually fun to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obsessed said:
Yeah, I suppose if you want to suffer through another season of Geass, then this is the show for you. But my question is - why not just watch Geass again? Honestly, I'm more offended that this is in the noitaminA slot more than anything else. If it was any other 2 AM anime, I would have given it a pass entirely.

duckroll said:
I don't think this is true at all. The failed detective isn't "really" a detective. He also has no interest in actually delivering any form of justice. There are no sides in this, because the only point of the entire show is the human condition.

It's clear that
he's a failed detective because he finds truths that are reinterpreted to fit the narrative of the government. The... boy/girl "thing" with him yearns for truth and that's what he/she is with him - perhaps he has some extraordinary ability to discover the truth and that's why he/she is attached to him. I suppose that's the one aspect of the show that might be "original" that they can explore. But the arc is pretty clear - eventually the detective will come to a head with the government and the daughter will have to choose between sexy detective guy and her father.

The cases themselves are all going to be related to maintaining social order. It's the only reason why the Ministry of Information (herp derp, how Orwellian?) is involved.

Dynedom

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Golden Wings

The first of a series of prequel movies/OVA's I'm watching. This seems to be the earliest animate feature in the chronology (but I haven't looked into the Spiral Labyrinth and Hundred Billion Stars, Hundred Billion Lights OVAs yet so...).

As a prequel story, it's not bad. I mean, there is definitely a bit of a pacing issue and it makes me wonder if this movie was originally planned as an OVA series rather than a 1-shot movie (I believe the latter half of this movie is covered in the Hundred Stars/Lights OVAs actually but I could be wrong). I mean, the skeleton of the story is there but the meat leaves a bit to be desired, if that makes sense. I also wonder if people might be put off
by the blatant bromance going on. I mean, they'd probably expect Reinhard and Siegfried to kiss towards the end
. I personally didn't mind it and
it's an important relationship.

Nonetheless, this movie made me realize how much I miss times when artists cared about what they drew. It's very easy on the eyes (right from the opening shot). The "fight" scenes suffer from the kind of "stunted/missing frames" thing you'd expect from older anime (i.e. it's not fluid) but there weren't really enough of them to make this offensive. It's not that type of a movie anyway (or a series, for that matter). The actual artwork on the various ships and shots of space are great. The space battles themselves are animated beautifully. Character designs range from good to great with the glaring exception of Krumbach. His design seemed almost entirely baffling and unnecessary.

I have to say the music borders from okay to forgettable. Nothing is terrible, thankfully. Everything fits into the context of what they show. It's a bit disappointing though.

Overall, this movie seems like it's only for hardcore LoGH fans and even then, I'd say it's missable. I don't think it really adds as much depth/more appreciation to Reinhard's history as it would have liked. The "Hundred Billion" OVAs might do a better job at fleshing it out though (I'll confirm that at a later date!).

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I suppose if you want to suffer through another season of Geass, then this is the show for you. But my question is - why not just watch Geass again? Honestly, I'm more offended that this is in the noitaminA slot more than anything else. If it was any other 2 AM anime, I would have given it a pass entirely.

Because I already saw Geass. Now I get to see Geass with a new (thin) coat of paint.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
It's clear that
he's a failed detective because he finds truths that are reinterpreted to fit the narrative of the government. The... boy/girl "thing" with him yearns for truth and that's what he/she is with him - perhaps he has some extraordinary ability to discover the truth and that's why he/she is attached to him. I suppose that's the one aspect of the show that might be "original" that they can explore. But the arc is pretty clear - eventually the detective will come to a head with the government and the daughter will have to choose between sexy detective guy and her father.

The cases themselves are all going to be related to maintaining social order. It's the only reason why the Ministry of Information (herp derp, how Orwellian?) is involved.

I don't think that's "clear" at all, in fact, I think you have grossly misinterpreted what the show is indicating.
If you look at the opening scene in ep1, and the transformation scene in ep2, it's clear that Shinjurou at some point in the past got into some sort of accident and died. He was someone else, living a normal life, and now he's someone else with a supernatural creature following him around. Inga isn't interested in the "truth" so much as "human nature". I think it is clear that it is some sort of non-human being who is interested in "testing" humanity, and the price Shinjurou is paying for being able to still be alive is that he made a deal to show what true humanity is to this creature.

If you noticed, no one cares that the "truth" is being manipulated at all. Shinjurou knows it is being done, he doesn't care, in fact he works with the media king because they're both only interested in information itself, how it is communicated to society at large does not really matter to them at all. Inga doesn't care either. Inga only cares about what is inside a single person's heart, not the opinion of the masses.

This is going to be an 11 episode show which is entirely episodic. Every single episode will be a different case inspired by a short story from Ango Sakaguchi's short story collection. At the end of the story, Shinjurou will probably die, because he was dead to begin with. Inga final judgement will be that humans are sad, deceitful creatures, who seek comfort in their own lives, and who are largely happy being oblivious to what is really going on around them as long as they are fed and have access to their needs and wants. The moral of the show is that society operates on accepted lies because what we don't know won't hurt us, and we don't care. Also, that it is more important to have an artificial stability, rather than face uncertainty and risk.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I don't think that's "clear" at all, in fact, I think you have grossly misinterpreted what the show is indicating.
If you look at the opening scene in ep1, and the transformation scene in ep2, it's clear that Shinjurou at some point in the past got into some sort of accident and died. He was someone else, living a normal life, and now he's someone else with a supernatural creature following him around. Inga isn't interested in the "truth" so much as "human nature". I think it is clear that it is some sort of non-human being who is interested in "testing" humanity, and the price Shinjurou is paying for being able to still be alive is that he made a deal to show what true humanity is to this creature.

If you noticed, no one cares that the "truth" is being manipulated at all. Shinjurou knows it is being done, he doesn't care, in fact he works with the media king because they're both only interested in information itself, how it is communicated to society at large does not really matter to them at all. Inga doesn't care either. Inga only cares about what is inside a single person's heart, not the opinion of the masses.

This is going to be an 11 episode show which is entirely episodic. Every single episode will be a different case inspired by a short story from Ango Sakaguchi's short story collection. At the end of the story, Shinjurou will probably die, because he was dead to begin with. Inga final judgement will be that humans are sad, deceitful creatures, who seek comfort in their own lives, and who are largely happy being oblivious to what is really going on around them as long as they are fed and have access to their needs and wants. The moral of the show is that society operates on accepted lies because what we don't know won't hurt us, and we don't care. Also, that it is more important to have an artificial stability, rather than face uncertainty and risk.

I think the "miserable pile of secrets" part of the show will be the character study aspect while the arc of the show will be - if I had to guess -
maintaining the status quo

Either way, the 22 minute episodes ruin any tension the cases might have since it's pretty much obvious that the first character who speaks more than one line is the murderer. Add in the fairly uninteresting premise of the characters (as presented so far) and of the show as a whole and I'm not sure what you have left. At least KamiMemo gave the cases a chance to breathe over two or three episodes.

Obsessed said:
Because I already saw Geass. Now I get to see Geass with a new (thin) coat of paint.
Well, I'm perfectly happy if Gintama goes on forever, so I probably shouldn't call a kettle black or whatnot.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
I think the "miserable pile of secrets" part of the show will be the character study aspect while the arc of the show will be - if I had to guess -
maintaining the status quo

There is no division between "character study" and "story arc" in Un-Go. It is based on a bunch of short detective stories from a dead Japanese author who was not known as a fiction writer but rather a harsh social critic of Japanese society and culture. The social critique is the only reason why this show even exists.

Either way, the 22 minute episodes ruin any tension the cases might have since it's pretty much obvious that the first character who speaks more than one line is the murderer. Add in the fairly uninteresting premise of the characters (as presented so far) and of the show as a whole and I'm not sure what you have left. At least KamiMemo gave the cases a chance to breathe over two or three episodes.

I'm not arguing that it's not a bad show with shitty direction, shitty writing, and bad characters. I think it's a bad show. I just think your "oh it's obvious where the story is going to go" is wrong. I do think it's obvious, but not what you're saying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't see how we're contradicting each other at all though?

As I see it, it's a less subtle version of what Eden ended up being - the specifics of the detective and Inga be damned. Both can still happen, but I just don't care about the main characters to be invested in how they end up being developed, so I'm mostly ignoring that aspect of the show.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
I don't see how we're contradicting each other at all though?

You think the government is some sort of "bad guy" when they're not. They're simply a function of society. They provide the reality that people want to believe in and want to hear. Everyone who is in the know, knows this and accepts this, including all the characters in the show. It's not a plot point that will have any significance other than being a commentary on how our society is also like that.

wonzo

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse

Holy shit, that was easily one of the best anime films I've ever seen. Definitely far more fabulous~ and crazy than the TV series. The excellent choreography of the fight scenes easily made up for the underwhelming and repetitive battles in the later parts of the TV series. The
garden dance
was easily the best scene of the entire film. The only issue I have with it was the lack of character development, but considering the TV series had already fleshed them out it wasn't that big a deal imo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
You think the government is some sort of "bad guy" when they're not. They're simply a function of society. They provide the reality that people want to believe in and want to hear. Everyone who is in the know, knows this and accepts this, including all the characters in the show. It's not a plot point that will have any significance other than being a commentary on how our society is also like that.
I think the show points to social control as a negative, yes. I mean, it's the Fractale system all over again.

I suppose it depends if the next episode will "solve" a case the exact same way... but I don't think I'll be around to fine out. But if every episode ends with the old guy confronting the detective via phone, then I think the show is at least pointing toward a certain direction. Heck, port this to an American context and it's basically PATRIOT act shenanigans, with the detective being a skinnier version of Michael Moore or some other "truth advocate".

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
I think the show points to social control as a negative, yes. I mean, it's the Fractale system all over again.

I suppose it depends if the next episode will "solve" a case the exact same way... but I don't think I'll be around to fine out. But if every episode ends with the old guy confronting the detective via phone, then I think the show is at least pointing toward a certain direction. Heck, port this to an American context and it's basically PATRIOT act shenanigans, with the detective being a skinnier version of Michael Moore or some other "truth advocate".

I think you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it is not supposed to be seen as a negative. I'm saying it's not an antagonistic force in the actual narrative. It's simply how it is. For it to be an antagonistic force, someone has to be opposed to it. There is no opposition at all in the actual show. It's just commentary.

scy

A Black Falcon said:
Matsudaira is Tokugawa? Oh, okay... yeah, I would think that'd make him a good guy. But replacing all of his servants with robots and then sending one as an assassin don't really seem like good-guy moves...

Well,
"Historically" speaking, Matsudaira Motonobu is the name of Tokugawa Ieyasu before he takes that name (he goes through a lot of names, now that I think about it); I'd assume we're keeping with that history here but, hey, they might change it. Or it's a red herring entirely. But, yeah, he doesn't exactly seem all that on the up-and-up, as it were. First showing of him I figured him as the first villain; it wasn't until after I remembered how the name connects to Tokugawa Ieyasu that I questioned it. I'm kind of hoping he's the bad guy, really.

Alright, makes sense. And popular from games only? Sure, why not... :)

I only really know her name from the Sengoku games. I honestly don't know anything about her from history lol.

Huh, you thought she looked scared? I didn't see that in it... maybe I need to look at it again too. But yes, either way, I can see why he'd blame himself, it's just not all his fault.

Well, yeah, a bit. I mean,
her looking back over her shoulder didn't seem to be one of enjoyment or happiness; looked at least a bit uneasy. Still, yeah, it's a pretty shitty thing to happen to him. Poor guy.

Well, the show has repeatedly shown how everyone seems to like him, so it's not THAT hard to believe really, I think. I mean, if you can accept that it's reasonable for them to all like him that is. :)

I guess. It just struck me as odd for those outside of the class to treat him like that, especially considering his position is basically a joke. But I mean, he is meant to be shown as someone that everyone gets along with and would do (nearly) anything to help; that despite how he is, he's somehow the central character.

In other words, main character status.

I didn't really quite get what was going on there, beyond the obvious I mean...
so they were talking about stuff, then she attacked him, but he stopped her... was there something to that beyond just a joke? Maybe I need to watch it again...

I'm not sure, really. I mean, I originally thought that
they're approaching Sakai to get something from him. Alternatively, the "show me" is a command to Futayo to attack instead, considering their reaction after she gets groped (feigning innocence). When this was shown off in the preview, I thought it was going to be something nefarious, not a "lol assgrab" scene. Probably going to discuss it later, I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I think you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it is not supposed to be seen as a negative. I'm saying it's not an antagonistic force in the actual narrative. It's simply how it is. For it to be an antagonistic force, someone has to be opposed to it. There is no opposition at all in the actual show. It's just commentary.
It's framed in that one is privileged over the other. The fact that the show is told from the point of view of a detective who solves cases, only to have his "solutions" be suppressed, hints at a particular world view that the author or the show writer/director seems to want to at least suggest if not espouse.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
It's framed in that one is privileged over the other. The fact that the show is told from the point of view of a detective who solves cases, only to have his "solutions" be suppressed, hints at a particular world view that the author or the show writer/director seems to want to at least suggest if not espouse.

But this is the same director who directed a Gundam movie where
the new main Gundam unit, after being hyped up in the presentation as the ultimate weapon, shows up at the end to do nothing other than teleport the main character to have a chat with ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom