• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

zeroshiki said:
I will take any insult hurled at GC but its music is definitely one thing people have to agree is good, right?

As bomb as Hiroyuki is probably doing GC, anything is better with a bit of Secret Base. This is known.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did I really recommend Idolmaster? I'm kind of into it but yeah, whoops. Sorry about that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
Where were you when I was having this argument with the Idolmaster brigade?
No1 has the right to complain about a protagonist of a show if you consider yourself a guilty crown fan.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wonzo said:
Incredibly bizarre and symbolic in an incredibly stylish and fabulous~ way. Definitely one hell of a way to end a movie.
I wish I could watch that movie for the first time ever again.

Actually no, I wouldn't understand shit. I need to re-watch it to understand it in the first place.
Morro! said:
Managed to get some time to finally watch Utena 37

Man, this was all over the place, the
poison scene
was absolutely nuts. Akio is class as always, can't wait to watch the last 2!
Oh boy.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
No1 has the right to complain about a protagonist of a show if you consider yourself a guilty crown fan.

You're really going to defend Mr. Producer-san? Have you gone so far down that rabbit hole that you're compelled to do this?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
You're really going to defend Mr. Producer-san? Have you gone so far down that rabbit hole that you're compelled to do this?
Producer-san is at least more tolerable than the subject of your avatar..>.>

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
I got around to watching id0lm@$ter 4 (which I think Dance in my Blood recommended I check out before dropping the show) and, yeah, it's definitely not for me. Maybe it's that the producer reminds me of a bland ineffectual KEY lead, or the creepiness and weird artificiality of it all. I dunno. It's easy on the eyes, at least - solid if not spectacular. The running frog theme just made me think I'd rather watch more Sgt Frog.
I don't know why they even need the producer, it's not like the fans would complain since he doesn't really fill the direct, first-person self-insert role like in the game apparently. Just have manager-girl as the lead.

dimb

zeroshiki said:
He's not Producer-san. He's honey.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
darkside31337 said:
Cube Cubed - Episode 3

The continuation and resolution of the last episode with the
fight scene
was really well done and then well there is the rest of the episode.

A look into Fear's backstory. It was honestly confusing both in terms of actual information and how it was animated. This show is definitely trying to do something artistically compared to the norm, but it really felt like a mess and really was just not very coherent.

This series suddenly feels a whole lot like ef (only not even close to being as good). You can really tell its the same director because the point of this episode was about Fear and her
sins. And how she is going to atone for these sins. And everybody else in the show atoning for their sins.

There is such a hard contrast between the two faces of the show. I'm not exactly sure what to make of the series yet. It's not bad but it hasn't been particularly good either. There have been more than a few flashes of a good show though, so I shall give it another few episodes.

This show is also so historically inaccurate it's pretty hilarious. So it at least has that going for it.
My problem with C3 isn't the difference in tones, but that, in the effort to do the early hook, they forgot that the characters are still pretty new for the audience. I cannot take their drama seriously when I've barely known them, and I cannot buy their interactions when they barely know each other. It feels like an epilogue to another animu.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
I'm not sure how you can say this as a defense towards the Idolmaster girls either! How about that?
There's not a single female character in Guilty crown that's as good as say yayoi / makoto / chihaya, and despite only two episodes having aired for guilty crown, I doubt it will have a SINGLE female character that will compare to those three, hell I'd even take the worst IM@S girls over Inori at this point.:3

Articalys

Idolmaster 16 was a boring Hibiki episode anyway, a big letdown from the hilarity of last week. Only parts that saved it were a bit of advancement on the main conflict plotline and more hinting at
Chihaya's backstory
At least that's another requisite character spotlight out of the way. Next week we're back to focusing on the superior Makoto anyway.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Code Geass R2 - 18

My god... I'm just wondering what kind of body count this show would be at if we could keep track. I don't think I've ever seen more genocide and mass destruction in any other show. It's okay though, it's all for my blind imouto.
She... Oh wait.

iavi

Bokutomo 3

Surprisingly, it was the little character/world building moments like the ones in this ep that made the manga really stand out from the rest its echhi/romcom counterparts, for me, despite even being a bit funnier. So it's safe to say that I'm totally glad to see that they transitioned well, though... dat fanservice, jesus. Sacrifice all tension in the scene for a few shots of Sena's T&A, will you. Sad thing is: that'll probably pay off more than were they to not have focused on the assets...smh.

Guilty Crown 2

Not too sure wtf happened at the end, but don't really see the hate. Fanservice is there, but at least ... it doesn't look bad. Nothing really looks bad cuz this is easily the best looking flashy fall show.

Sure it's a mix of evangalion plug suits, typical whiny pansy MC, Code Geass world, macross girly girl and what not, but nothing really offensive here.

But wait...

Fuck those mecha designs. They look horrible, and are in cg >.>"

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
There's not a single female character in Guilty crown that's as good as say yayoi / makoto / chihaya, and despite only two episodes having aired for guilty crown, I doubt it will have a SINGLE female character that will compare to those three, hell I'd even take the worst IM@S girls over Inori at this point.:3

Clearly you are delusional. Yukiho is one of the worst anime characters in existence. In fact, I will take Emiya Shiro or that crazy manhater in Working! over Yukiho. That is as bad as it gets.

dimb

Idolmaster 16
zzJwO.jpg

Grandmaster material.

This episode was awful. First they faked me out into thinking it would be a Chihaya episode, but the whole thing just defied any and all logic of a realistic world. Hibiki can literally talk to and understand understand animals.
Then she goes missing in the woods or some shit and nobody really gives a shit or sends out a search party. Then somehow her hamster runs through the woods, takes a train, goes to 765 Pro HQ, gets a dog, then goes back to Hibiki's house and grabs her animal harem or whatever, before going to rescue her while she is stranded halfway down a cliff. How a pig and a crocodile and a bunch of other animals manage this task isn't really specified, but they rescue her.

I don't understand how this episode was made. It is so bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Idolmaster 16 was a boring Hibiki episode anyway, a big letdown from the hilarity of last week. Only parts that saved it were a bit of advancement on the main conflict plotline and more hinting at
Chihaya's backstory
At least that's another requisite character spotlight out of the way. Next week we're back to focusing on the superior Makoto anyway.

I really didn't understand the opening, especially in the context of such a cartooney episode. Of course, I found it funny that they tried to be serious at all, to the point where I almost thought the opening was a parody.

Miri said:
Bokutomo 3

Surprisingly, it was the little character/world building moments like the ones in this ep that made the manga really stand out from the rest its echhi/romcom counterparts, for me, despite even being a bit funnier. So it's safe to say that I'm totally glad to see that they transitioned well, though... dat fanservice, jesus. Sacrifice all tension in the scene for a few shots of Sena's T&A, will you. Sad thing is: that'll probably pay off more than were they to not have focused on the assets...smh.
I'm just curious about what you found necessarily interesting about the character moments? On my end, all I saw were just harem flags being triggered by the protagonist.

Heroic Age 1

For a wild boy cut off from civilization, Age sure has some pretty eyelashes. He also talks in the 3rd person which I don't think I've ever seen an anime male do.

Liking it so far. Not fully grasping the lore yet, but the characters seem cool and I hear it pretty much turns into a mix of Gurren Lagann and DBZ later, so I'm excited for that.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
I'm just curious about what you found necessarily interesting about the character moments? On my end, all I saw were just harem flags being triggered by the protagonist.

You can already see the ending, can't you? Haha. I joke, but so can I, really. And I'm perfectly cool with that. I mean, it's blatantly predictable in all its wiring, but in my current mood, I just find it to provide an enjoyable sense of depth to the situations, but without all the braindrain that so usually comes with the writing that attempts to be a bit more extensive. Kind of like watching a really funny KEY anime, but without all of the tears, and with a protagonist that's... about the same, now that I think on it.

Along with all of that, and its having of archtypes that I dig--for the most part--Bokutomo's just working.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Not watching idolmaster!

I dunno. Maybe it was a hype thing. Maybe I'm not lady enough for it.

Nah, you just advised me to skip 2-3 and watch episode 4 before dropping. No biggie, really.
I'm gonna go ahead and advise you to watch episode 8 before finally dropping it for good. It's really charming and delightful in a cheesy 80's romcom sorta way and by far the best the show has had to offer, imo. Plus the characters all walking archetypes so you don't really need to know anything about them to enjoy it.

trejo

Miri said:
Bokutomo 3

Well I was definitely focusing on those assets, that's for sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
You can already see the ending, can't you? Haha. I joke, but so can I, really. And I'm perfectly cool with that. I mean, it's blatantly predictable in all its wiring, but in my current mood, I just find it to provide an enjoyable sense of depth to the situations, but without all the braindrain that so usually comes with the writing that attempts to be a bit more extensive. Kind of like watching a really funny KEY anime, but without all of the tears, and with a protagonist that's... about the same, now that I think on it.

Along with all of that, and its having of archtypes that I dig--for the most part--Bokutomo's just working.
How are you going to handle the loli nun? :p

---

Also, what the fuuuuuck Japan.
wq8k3l.jpg

scy said:
Well,
"Historically" speaking, Matsudaira Motonobu is the name of Tokugawa Ieyasu before he takes that name (he goes through a lot of names, now that I think about it); I'd assume we're keeping with that history here but, hey, they might change it. Or it's a red herring entirely. But, yeah, he doesn't exactly seem all that on the up-and-up, as it were. First showing of him I figured him as the first villain; it wasn't until after I remembered how the name connects to Tokugawa Ieyasu that I questioned it. I'm kind of hoping he's the bad guy, really.
Yeah, that is an interesting question, isn't it...
on the one hand you "expect" that character to probably be good, but on the other hand, this guy's showing a lot of signs of being a villain. Either they aren't doing the standard anime Sengoku narrative (and there is some variation, like how while Nobunaga is usually evil, occasionally that's different), or this is one of the effects of the breakdown of the historical recreation. It may be important to remember that the historical recreation is breaking down, when comparing their names to what you expect their actions to be.
Well, we'll see on that one, could go either way probably.

I only really know her name from the Sengoku games. I honestly don't know anything about her from history lol.
I'm sure she did something, but the Sengoku games often do have to dig a bit to find female characters to give combat roles, sure.

Well, yeah, a bit. I mean,
her looking back over her shoulder didn't seem to be one of enjoyment or happiness; looked at least a bit uneasy. Still, yeah, it's a pretty shitty thing to happen to him. Poor guy.
I don't know, maybe they were just playing... I mean, they were supposed to be friends, yes?

I guess. It just struck me as odd for those outside of the class to treat him like that, especially considering his position is basically a joke. But I mean, he is meant to be shown as someone that everyone gets along with and would do (nearly) anything to help; that despite how he is, he's somehow the central character.

In other words, main character status.
Oh anime main character status, what does it not bring... (intelligence, for one... but apart from that... :)) But yeah, you basically just have to accept that for some odd reason these people, even though they think of him as the joke he is, actually like him. I don't know if it makes sense -- in Ep. 1 I sure didn't like him much -- but it did do a somewhat better job in eps 2 and 3. Still, it is probably a "this is anime, accept it" moment, yeah. There are a lot of those in this show, obviously.

I'm not sure, really. I mean, I originally thought that
they're approaching Sakai to get something from him. Alternatively, the "show me" is a command to Futayo to attack instead, considering their reaction after she gets groped (feigning innocence). When this was shown off in the preview, I thought it was going to be something nefarious, not a "lol assgrab" scene. Probably going to discuss it later, I guess.
Huh, so you were kind of confused too.
It did seem like they were setting it up for something to happen, but that little thing didn't quite make sense as something important... and then they broke apart and went different ways, so who knows. Oh well, I'm sure we will see all of those characters again. (I'd say "I'm sure things will be explained later", but in THIS show, I'm not exactly sure about that to say the least... :))

/XX/

zeroshiki said:
Where were you when I was having this argument with the Idolmaster brigade?
I think I also saw here people showing their dissatisfaction with the character, no? Although it wasn't a criticism as vicious as in other places. I remember calling myself Mr. Producer "obvious catalyst and bland spectator's vessel", but his harmless presence left aside for the most part of the time makes this blandness pointless enough for everyone interested... what would happen if some possessive fans saw Mr. Producer as a influential character, causing a interference with the idol's cast? I'm sure those making the series thought that is better to leave it like that...

Branduil

/XX/ said:
I think I also saw here people showing their dissatisfaction with the character, no? Although it wasn't a criticism as vicious as in other places. I remember calling myself Mr. Producer "obvious catalyst and bland spectator's vessel", but his harmless presence left aside for the most part of the time makes this blandness pointless enough for everyone interested... what would happen if some possessive fans saw Mr. Producer as a influential character, causing a interference with the idol's cast? I'm sure those making the series thought that is better to leave it like that...
Well yeah, but that's the point. His character doesn't need to exist in the anime, and if they recognize that enough to make him a minor character, they should just go all the way and eliminate him from the show entirely.

Branduil said:
Well yeah, but that's the point. His character doesn't need to exist in the anime, and if they recognize that enough to make him a minor character, they should just go all the way and eliminate him from the show entirely.
It probably would have been better without him in it at all.

Dynedom said:
The Guilty Crown Train

The Undertakers
Zeroshiki
Dynedom
scy
Hellsing321
Instro
trejo
cajunator
darkside31337
Articalys
duckroll?

The Anti-Bodies
Everyone else

=(

Will update!

I'm not alone anymore!

NeonZ

Branduil said:
The worst part of this show, though, is the monologues where Shinjuro spews verbal diarrhea in a clunky exposition of the theme of the episode.

It could work if it was accompained by some over the top directing, but they try to pass it off as a serious moment and insight...

Averon

Guilty Crown 1-2

The production values are fantastic, but I'm still undecided on the story and characters.

Boku wa Tomodachi 1-3

Pretty trashy, but I'm entertained. My guilty pleasure for this season

Defuser

Boku Tomodachi ep3
Man this show is blatant with their homages although not in the good way but I do like Sacred Blacksmith. And hnnnnggg that Kana Hanazawa voice.

/XX/

Branduil said:
That would have been a good approach if done correctly; strictly-in-the-shadows professional producers without a face, and a show centered only in the relationships between the idols, and their aspirations... but, what kind of series would have been compared to THE IDOLM@STER games? Part of the 'raison d'être' of this games is the building of a professional relationship between you, a recently hired producer, and the idols. Without this kind of similar interactions and unfolding situations replicated in the animated series, what part of the games would have been present on this? Only the idols themselves? And this is where I wonder what kind of experience the fans of the games want from the animated series... something similar to the games or a different approach? If you want to interest the same fans, I suppose you have to offer a parallel solution, being careful of not bothering them in the process.

Don't misunderstand me, I also think they could have done things differently, but when you want to appease the majority of the franchise followers, I think you don't have many options. And that is why their solution of including a bland producer is a middle road; it is there (acts as the "catalyst") but seems like it isn't at the same time, unobtrusive.

Steroyd

Bokutomo - 03

This is more entertaining than I could have imagined it'd be than when I watched the season preview.

And wow when the naked sister hugged the brother I couldn't help but think "What would ABF think of this", I'm not going to shake this off for while am I. :(

7Th

Hibiki was sacrificed to the monster of lazyass outsourcing so Makoto could get the best episode of the year. MakotoBros will forever remember your sacrifice, Hibikin!

duckroll

My intensive research has uncovered that there are an amazing SEVEN cuts worth of traditional 2D animated mecha action in episode 2 of Guilty Crown:

Cut1: Towards the end of the OP, there is a really nice cut of the enemy boss mech launching off. Completely 2D.

Cut2: Right after that, there is a cut of the two leads destroying a grunt enemy mech with the sword. This grunt mech is also 2D.

Cut3:
After the OP, when the enemy boss mech attacks the wheelchair moe's mech, there is a cut of wheelchair moe's mech taking damage point blank in front of the camera, this is not CG and looks different in design from the CG model.

Cut4:
Right after the previous cut, there's a reaction shot in the cockpit, after that there is another cut of the mech continuing to charge forward at the camera. This is also 2D.

Cut5-7:
There is a really nice cut after a bunch of reaction shots following the previous scene of the enemy boss mech charging at the camera (1 cut), then it stabs wheelchair moe's mech (1 cut), and then there's a wide shot showing both mechs, with wheelchair moe's mech impaled on the sword arm of the enemy boss mech (1 cut). All in glorious 2D.

Anime status: SAVED!

the five stages of what a shit anime!:

duckroll said:
My intensive research has uncovered that there are an amazing SEVEN cuts worth of traditional 2D animated mecha action in episode 2 of Guilty Crown:

Cut1: Towards the end of the OP, there is a really nice cut of the enemy boss mech launching off. Completely 2D.

Cut2: Right after that, there is a cut of the two leads destroying a grunt enemy mech with the sword. This grunt mech is also 2D.

Cut3:
After the OP, when the enemy boss mech attacks the wheelchair moe's mech, there is a cut of wheelchair moe's mech taking damage point blank in front of the camera, this is not CG and looks different in design from the CG model.

Cut4:
Right after the previous cut, there's a reaction shot in the cockpit, after that there is another cut of the mech continuing to charge forward at the camera. This is also 2D.

Cut5-7:
There is a really nice cut after a bunch of reaction shots following the previous scene of the enemy boss mech charging at the camera (1 cut), then it stabs wheelchair moe's mech (1 cut), and then there's a wide shot showing both mechs, with wheelchair moe's mech impaled on the sword arm of the enemy boss mech (1 cut). All in glorious 2D.

stage three (bargaining)

duckroll

zeroshiki

duckroll said:

Cut3:

Cut4:

Cut5-7:

YES! SAVED INDEED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom