• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

7Th said:
If you're going to watch just one IM@S episode, make it 17.
Do it to honor Hibiki's memory, who died in shitty outsourced hell for it to happen.

Wait, what? Am I going to have to murder somebody for ruining Hibiki?

Jex

zeroshiki said:
I'm not sure how you can say this as a defense towards the Idolmaster girls either! How about that?
I don't think the characters being what they are makes the show bad, I just find it to be boring most of the time that I bother to watch it.
Extollere said:
Code Geass R2 - 18

My god... I'm just wondering what kind of body count this show would be at if we could keep track. I don't think I've ever seen more genocide and mass destruction in any other show. It's okay though, it's all for my blind imouto.
She... Oh wait.
Eh, in terms of "lots of people being killed in an anime" it doesn't rate that highly.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Eh, in terms of "lots of people being killed in an anime" it doesn't rate that highly.

It's no Ideon or Dunbine, that's for sure!

edit: I guess a comparison to Ideon is a bit unfair. I don't think many anime will match that insanity.

Dynedom

Woop woop!

The Guilty Crown Train

The Undertakers
Zeroshiki
Dynedom
scy
Hellsing321
Instro
trejo
cajunator
darkside31337
Articalys
Regulus Tera
duckroll
Reknoc
Dance in my Blood
Dedication Through Light

The Anti-Bodies
Everyone else

The Funeral Parlor grows!

Jex

scy said:
I don't know if some bouncing boobs really makes her just a lump of fanservice now. I haven't seen the second episode yet so maybe it gets worse
better
but, it feels a bit premature to call it.
All she has done so far is moan orgasmically after being shot, flop around everywhere and blush hysterically when Gai looks at her. C'mon man.

Dynedom

jman2050 said:
How did you miss me? :/

I thought you weren't on board, from your post of episode 2. Lemme go back and read.

For the record, anyone who threw nothing but negatives based on episode 2 is on the Anti-Bodies list. I didn't look back at people's impressions of episode 1. If you're still on board but just hated/lol'd at episode 2, TELL ME!

edit: Yeah mang, just saw your Ep 2 impressions. How could I possibly (without look at your ep 1 impressions which I'm too lazy to search) take you as Team Right from there?

Dynedom

zeroshiki said:
LOGH killed a couple hundred thousand people in 1 episode. Geass has nothing on it in bodycount.

I think we're talking about "named characters" though.

edit: I seriously just describe the phenomenon as pulling a Tomino at this point.

7Th

Dynedom said:
For the record, anyone who threw nothing but negatives based on episode 2 is on the Anti-Bodies list. I didn't look back at people's impressions of episode 1. If you're still on board but just hated/lol'd at episode 2, TELL ME!

Is there any other way to enjoy the show?

scy

Jexhius said:
All she has done so far is moan orgasmically after being shot, flop around everywhere and blush hysterically when Gai looks at her. C'mon man.

Like I said, I haven't seen episode 2 yet and I don't think she did much in episode 1. Still, whatever, it's not like that will ruin things for me, otherwise I'd have dropped tons of other shows before this, really. But if it's as bad as you say and keeps it up then, damn it, I'll just enjoy her as fanservice bait while crying softly; I mean, I've already accepted that'll be Inori when she's not scene relevant.

Besides, it's not like going into this that some level of fanservice shenanigans wasn't expected. I mean, datInori outfit, Ayase wheelchair moe, and those fucking cat ears. I'll groan a bit and then continue with my day. I guess my threshold for it has gotten better. Or worse, depending on your viewpoint :(

Articalys said:
Saimoe, Puella Magi, etc.etc. whatever.

I have faith i...wait, I think I said that last time. :/

darkside31337 said:
I am so torn by this result :( Both girls are so moe.

Hopefully Sayaka tears up Haqua.
I don't think you need to do any hoping for that.

Edit: I wouldn't classify myself as a hater of GC but I would't say I'm a lover either. Can't you put me on Team Innocent Civilians who get shot in the head?

Jex

Guilty Crown 2

At the very start of this episode I pulled a bit of a firewhawk12 and said to myself 'I can see the ending',
by the time this episode is over, children will have been killed. But why? Because it's the laziest way to make a character 'villainous' and align the audience against them.
A few minutes later, I was proved right. Such is the quality of writing on this show.

duckroll

Idolmaster Episode 16

Pretty meh episode. I don't like Hibiki, I don't like animals, the entire premise of the episode was pretty lolz to me. The opening scene was pretty interesting though. Really well directed. The rest of the episode was like a standard filler B-episode which focuses on a side character no one really cares about, while showcasing how BAD the villains are in silly cartoon ways.

I liked some scenes in the episode though. Like
the hamster slap, and the wow wtf she has an alligator?!
Lulz. Overall it's probably not the worst Idolmaster episode, but it's the one furthest from subject matter I'm interested in. Fucking animals.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Guilty Crown 2

At the very start of this episode I pulled a bit of a firewhawk12 and said to myself 'I can see the ending',
by the time this episode is over, children will have been killed. But why? Because it's the laziest way to make a character 'villainous' and align the audience against them.
A few minutes later, I was proved right. Such is the quality of writing on this show.

You know firehawk has it made when his name is now a verb and an epithet.

LordCanti

duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Episode 15

I... really don't particularly like where the series is headed. I have issues coming to terms with the change in tone since ep12, and I honestly find the last two episodes (14 and 15) pretty weak in terms of direction and delivery on the actual themes they're presenting. I also feel there's a production drop off not just in terms of budget, but in terms of visual impact. Scenes don't seem to have as much impact as they should, and the way things are presented fall short of my expectations based on how well I know the staff can deliver it when they really give their all.

I really liked the direction in episode 15 for some reason. I mean, they rely pretty heavily on the subway signs as transitions, but I thought everything flowed relatively well. In terms of the visual impact, do you mean scenes like
The fight between Yuri and Jury-Senpai, where it was still shots, instead of actual animation?

It's getting a bit
dark
for my tastes, but I don't hate where it's going. Some of the shots are still really top tier for me, like
Kanba and Sanetoshi walking down the hallway in the hospital
. I mean, their budget is showing with things like
the OP, which reuses some animation
but it hasn't gone completely south IMO.

robor

I watched 6 episodes of Dennou Coil and have decided to dump it. I found the world, characters and pacing of events totally and utterly boring. I wanted to like it but the technology seemed so unconvincing that I felt completely external from the experience (as if I were observing the creators trying to make something that resonated with their feelings/beliefs etc but failed in translating that across with exposition).

I guess I'll always prefer Iso as an animator working on something that is directed by somebody who understands how to write and direct a compelling story : \

So now I've changed gears and have begun watching Kemonozume. Now THIS is what I'm talking about! 2 episodes in and I'm loving it already!

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Guilty Crown 2

But the children weren't killed (that one kids' parents were)?
I see what you're saying though.

Branduil

robor said:
I watched 6 episodes of Dennou Coil and have decided to dump it. I found the world, characters and pacing of events totally and utterly boring. I wanted to like it but the technology seemed so unconvincing that I felt completely external from the experience (as if I were observing the creators trying to make something that resonated with their feelings/beliefs etc but failed in translating that across with exposition).
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

scy

Articalys said:
Well, this is kind of out of nowhere.

Crunchyroll to Stream Mashiro-Iro Symphony Anime

Although it seems to be a three-week delay (so it's hardly a simulcast) and region restricted (since it's via Sentai), still surprising to pick up a show like this a quarter of the way into the season.

Is anyone even watching this? I just realized I'm not really following a harem for this season (Haganai doesn't count)... Wait, Ben-To maybe.

Character growth!

Jex

Dynedom said:
But the children weren't killed (that one kids' parents were)?
I see what you're saying though.
Sureeeee, but you see where I'm going.
Whether the villian actually achieved it or not, that was his intent. This is so we, in the audience, know that he really is a bad guy. Real bad.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Sureeeee, as far you know!

Well the funny thing is that the show makes the mistake of
panning to the kid at the end, who is just amazed by the sky for some reason (like everyone else at the end of the episode). "My parents just got dispatched in front of me but god damn that sky is pretty!"

iavi

firehawk12 said:
How are you going to handle the loli nun? :p
I'm going to be bitching something special during her scenes, I fool you not. The pedo service in this ep tested the effectiveness of that release method, but she's a nun certified.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Obsessed said:
Female fan service does nothing for me. Is GC 50% fanservice and 50% explosions?
It's not really like that. That would probably be better though, because I mean why else would you watch Guilty Crown?

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
For the deep philosophical musing that are reminiscent of GitS.
It doesn't even do that. It just has people talking about nothing. Occasionally they whoop, sob, emote, and whine.

dimb

Hellsing321 said:
For the deep philosophical musing that are reminiscent of GitS.
I don't think they even really attempt to be philosophical.

I am trying to think of a time when anyone in Guilty Crown even seems like they're using their brain and I'm pulling up nothing.

Dresden

Dance In My Blood said:
I don't think they even really attempt to be philosophical.

I am trying to think of a time when anyone in Guilty Crown even seems like they're using their brain and I'm pulling up nothing.
When the loli pushed that button with her butt she was presumably using her head to do other stuff like coordinate the attack and play Starcraft.

Jexhius said:
It doesn't even do that. It just has people talking about nothing. Occasionally they whoop, sob, emote, and whine.
I was referencing that interview with the director or someone who said GitS and Eden of the East were his inspirations for the show or something. Having stealth camo is close enough though, right?

dimb

Dresden said:
When the loli pushed that button with her butt she was presumably using her head to do other stuff like coordinate the attack and play Starcraft.
I'm not sure I'd call her a loli.

Edit: I've watched Lotte no Omocha, I should be an expert on this.

Jex

Dresden said:
I assume you are you're joking but actually, if you're paying attention, you can see that she's playing a match-3 puzzle game:

puzzlecrown.jpg

I kid you not.

Jexhius said:
I assume you are you're joking but actually, if you're paying attention, you can see that she's playing a match-3 puzzle game:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/puzzlecrown.jpg[/MG]

I kid you not.[/QUOTE]
In the near future all government software is developed by Popcap.

Steroyd

Hellsing321 said:

Wait wait wait... so you mean Bejeweled is some form a sublimable military training for the future!?

Mind blown.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
Nope. If you pay attention you can see that all the other screens are 'normal looking' instrument screens. She just happens to pull that one down to actually play a videogame. It has nothing to do with the combat.

Dresden

Jexhius said:
I noticed, I just needed to make a Starcraft reference to maintain my racial integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom