• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
eUMggl.jpg

Is it me, or his thumb kind of... off?
Megan Fox thumb.

Steroyd said:
Dear lord I read this sentence as if they aren't doing that already. O_O

If the rumors are true that it will end at 39 or whatever, then they probably aren't. No way would they get to the Chimera Ants at 39 provided they don't skip entire arcs. Even if they do, I can't imagine how it would be handled if something comparatively mild like Hisoka's intro is turned into fuckin flowers.

Steroyd

cosmicblizzard said:
If the rumors are true that it will end at 39 or whatever, then they probably aren't. No way would they get to the Chimera Ants at 39 provided they don't skip entire arcs. Even if they do, I can't imagine how it would be handled if something comparatively mild like Hisoka's intro is turned into fuckin flowers.

39?

That's got to be bull, there'd be no point of doing a reboot at all.

Jex

[Ben-To 3]

Thankfully this was more like the second episode and nothing like the first episode. I don't think it was quite as good as last weeks, but hey, it did it's thing well enough.

Jex

[Phat/O - 4]

There really isn't much to say about an episode like this, especially considering that plenty of people have already voiced their own thoughts on it. Yes, the action was fairly well animated with understandable choreography. Yes, there was too much dialogue.

Not a lot else to say, considering how few (plot/character related) events transpired. Which makes a nice change.

scy

datDestiny 15 - tragic backstory go. I feel that as far as the
hot springs happy rape time is concerned, Yuri has it planned (I mean, she HAS the diary of Ringo's fate) for the Ringo and Shoma pairing.

Anyway, some insight into the diary. Thanks,
Pink Ringo
. I like the direction of the
Yuri plot with the diary, though. As well as the explanation of it, though I must wonder did Momoka write in Ringo's fate? That seems ... odd? But I guess it would make sense

And fabulous ... "fight" scene!

Shana Final 3 - As much as I like the OP, I feel weird for it not being Mami Kawada.

Anyhow,
Yuji returns. Goes around sightseeing/excuse for a recap episode. Shit hitting the fan stuff will happen now that he's met Shana.

Did J.C. Staff learn something about not screwing things up? This feels a lot better than basically any of the past outings. Though, maybe it's just past me going "OMG RESOLUTIONS!" at this arc.

Ben-To 3 - I'm a little sad that Shiraume is probably an ultimately irrelevant character. I await the eventual
Oshiroi going crazy when Satou eventually ends up with the Ice Witch.
Though, thank you Ben-To for assuring me that pants are unneeded for civilized discussion.

TOKIWA. TOKIWA. SUPER TOKIWA.

Thoraxes

Regarding Penguindrum 15:
Anyone else think
Momoka made their parents have a second child and transferred her fate onto Ringo? The cost of doing that would've been huge, so part of that may be why she was never found after the attacks, though to be fair, no body was ever found. I just think this is some neat speculation now.

Hey GAF, I need to watch some light hearted show or comedy, what's your recommendation ? (I'm already watching Gintama and Working' !).

Is there an AWESOME show this season ? (like Madoka one or two seasons ago).

Thoraxes

Tribes of Trusty said:
Hey GAF, I need to watch some light hearted show or comedy, what's your recommendation ? (I'm already watching Gintama and Working' !).

Watch and catch up on Penguindrum.

As for lighthearted (this season anyways), uh, there's Ben-to, Mashiro-iro symphony, Maken-ki, Maji de watashi ni koi shinasai, squid girl, and something else i'm probably forgetting. Though half that list is mostly harem shows.

If you're looking for general lightheartedness, Aria will calm your soul, Love Hina is fun, and I really enjoyed Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile (especially the latter because i'm a musician in that world myself). Oh also don't forget Seto no Hanayome.

Tribes of Trusty said:

Squid Girl

and if you are hardcore then watch Denpa Onna

weeaboo

Tribes of Trusty said:

Aria The Animation and sequels

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tribes of Trusty said:

Squid Girl and Nichijou for the first question, Mawaru-Penguindrum for the second one, even if it's from the summer season.

Tribes of Trusty said:

Watch Sket Dance if you aren't already. It's structured similarly to Gintama (though the mood whiplashes hit harder).

As for awesome stuff this season, Mirai Nikki, Fate/Zero (but be wary of episode 1), Guilty Crown. Then there's some hit or miss stuff like C3, Ben-to, Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere. Lot of options.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tribes of Trusty said:

Nichijou

Fate/Zero

Thoraxes said:
Regarding Penguindrum 15:
Anyone else think
Momoka made their parents have a second child and transferred her fate onto Ringo? The cost of doing that would've been huge, so part of that may be why she was never found after the attacks, though to be fair, no body was ever found. I just think this is some neat speculation now.

Maybe
multiple people would have died that day, and she simply limited the casualties. At the very least we know Tabuki only survived because his alarm clock didn't go off.

Tribes of Trusty said:

Fate/Zero seems to be liked by everyone.

Also if you want something action packed and fast paced I'd go for Mirai Nikki.

Tribes of Trusty said:

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Maken-Ki

Ben-to

Nix

Banned
Jexhius said:
[Ben-To 3]

Thankfully this was more like the second episode and nothing like the first episode. I don't think it was quite as good as last weeks, but hey, it did it's thing well enough.
Did you honestly think it was going to match "wolf fist". Really?

Nah, show was tight this week. Animation was great, as always, but that
final fight between the dogs and the wolves was especially good. Damn, if I didn't also strangely like the incinerator scene; also, Oshiroi GP train. God damn.

scy

Obsessed said:
Maybe
multiple people would have died that day, and she simply limited the casualties. At the very least we know Tabuki only survived because his alarm clock didn't go off.

That's probably the most likely thing. That or
Momoka writing the rest of the diary for Ringo, though that feels more like a gift for her sister rather than anything else so I'm not sure how the "price" of the diary would have taken here.

Jex

[Anne of Green Gables 29]

anne29.jpg

Oh, Anne. How can that be a sin?

This show is really getting into the habit of playing packed narration over a bunch of still clips. I think its a testament to the shows overall quality that this doesn't phase me any-more. Or perhaps I've just gotten used to it. Either way, it's a pretty lazy way to tell a lot of story quickly and cheaply.

Outside of those scenes this was a pretty great episode. Anne
starting a story-writing group
is an idea that seems to, err, write itself. Which of course led to a number of great scenes and some fairly classic Marilla responses. That scene over tea with Anne pointing out the flaws in all the writers was particularly amusing.

Thoraxes

Obsessed said:
Maybe
I almost wonder
if she changed Tabuki's fate too because maybe she knew something beforehand. Whatever else is in that diary, she seems to be very perceptive or has a means of knowing what's going on. I think so anyways.

iavi

Tribes of Trusty said:

If you dig Gintama, you're also a wolf. Ben-To will be right up your alley. Also, just to note, if you don't find yourself enjoying the first ep, still, continue on to the second. There's a huge jump in quality, imo.

Dynedom

Legend of Galactic Heroes - Overture to a New War

*AndHereWeGo.gif*

F6J6L.jpg

Haters gon' hate?

For those who aren't aware, Overture to a New War is a combination movie comprising Episodes 1 and 2 of LoGH with some extra footage.

No complaints at all. Everything is fleshed out enough for my tastes. The
tragic love triangle between Jessica, Lap and Wang
, the epic
"rigged" battle which ultimately goes Reinhard's way, albeit not the clean victory he would have liked
and most importantly the foundations for character development (
Wang being put into a position of more authority
). I have a bit more appreciation for Golden Wings after watching this movie because it keeps Reinhard and Kiersche's motivations very clear and perhaps a bit more developed than the first 2 episodes would have led you to believe (but then again, we have an entire series for that too...)

Yes, the
fate of Lap is rather transparent and predictable from the get go
but it doesn't matter. It's still done in a way where
you can't help but feel for Lap (particularly given that if it weren't for a stubborn and frankly idiotic commander, he would have lived
. The music
during his death scene is also quite well done
. It sets up that all important reminder
for Wang that he needs to make his tactics known to prevent tragedies like this from ever happening again

The animation and music are done to the standard I expect. I was pleasantly surprised by this compilation movie. It didn't feel all that rushed and I think the usual elements of an LoGH universe are present. You get the military machine in full force, the politics, the relationships, the motivations and the results all in one package. I didn't find any real pacing issues. Not enough to bother me, anyway. I guess you can't really have any, come to think of it.

Highly recommended.

Key Question: Should you watch this over the first 2 episodes of the actual series? Absolutely yes.

NRG40.jpg

edsKC.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ben-To 03: Show of the season continues to deliver. Loved the bit with his clothes, and the end. Oh man, I wish I could wake up to that. Also, Sonic makes another appearance, this time as a poster. Man clearly has good taste (or show is sponsored by Sega?).

RurouniZel said:
Ben-To 03: Show of the season continues to deliver. Loved the bit with his clothes, and the end. Oh man, I wish I could wake up to that. Also, Sonic makes another appearance, this time as a poster. Man clearly has good taste (or show is sponsored by Sega?).
The guy being a sega fanboy was in the original novels too.

iavi

Hellsing321 said:
The guy being a sega fanboy was in the original novels too.

The "I'm 15~16 (I think) years old, and loved Sega for fourteen of them" line in the first ep got me pretty good. I know that feel.

Gundam AGE ep 3

My creys for Commander Bruzar. Almost saved yet still valiantly died. I dislike how the Emily and Flit will most likely be canon and Yurin will be forgotten, Yurin and Flit made an excellent team in the mobile suit.
For my second Gundam series, Im really enjoying this one. Tone and style are great.

Toriko ep 27

Tommyrod is forever creepy. I enjoyed hearing everyones reasons for going after the century soup, not naming the mysterious dude though :(

C3 4

Fear still rocking the slasher smile. Her giga drill breaker isn't bad either.

Glad this didn't go back to harem antics and we're still in the middle of a horror/action arc and the tone stays dreary even outside the really heavy scenes. The fight against bitch girl is once again great.
Poor Amanda :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Last Exile Fam Fan Fan Fam Fam:

I think the fact that it's giant ships fighting each other that I'm finding this more engaging that it might actually be. That said, I do appreciate that they seem to be just throwing people into the world without trying to catch anyone up. I mean, the second episode has
a crescent moon space ship thing crash into the planet and then destroy a city
, with no real explanation for new viewers, so what the hell.

Dat CG though. I suppose it's easy to just ignore after a while.

Ezalc

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Damn it, I'm a sucker for space fantasy shows, and this was pretty awesome. I just started watching the original Gundam and Initial D now with this I don't know how I'll be able to watch all three series. Not counting the fact that even though I finished the original HxH anime I still haven't seen the OVAs for it. Decisions, decisions. Anyways, really enjoyed the movie and surprisingly the art as well. I don't know what about the art I liked but I just really enjoyed it, it's odd. Maybe it was the hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom