• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
I just assumed the
secret was that she was defiled by her father, and probably physically scarred from abuse.

I mean... her
father isnt a surgeon. I really really don't think you can chisel someone's skin off and fashion it into a penis and then attach that to their body unless you have a lot of fancy medical equipment.
This theory seems to me a case of people
reading too much into the 'body's secret' line from last week and clinging to the fanon explanation that she has a penis even when the show doesn't necessarily point in that direction.

Krev said:
This theory seems to me a case of people
reading too much into the 'body's secret' line from last week and clinging to the fanon explanation that she has a penis even when the show doesn't necessarily point in that direction.

Yeah.

I am thinking more along the lines of
the surgeon from Bioshock 1, except a sculptor instead of a plastic surgeon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fate Zero 4:

This episode probably would have been much more interesting if it focused entirely on the fight and removed half of the monologue/dialog.

Of course, that precludes the seemingly "wacky" ending that renders the entire episode moot, which was something else entirely.

Fate Zero 4

I love the fight and and it reminds me so much of the TM games and how they were so full of monologues that explain every detail during the battles.lol Also Rider's entrance with the whole introduction was badass.

LordCanti

Penguin 15

Obsessed said:
I don't think you understand what I was saying.

I mentioned physical abuse as well. Why does it only have to be one? Her father could have been beating her with his chisel (mutilating her body), and then having sex with her.

I'm not going
hurr durr she is getting injured and gonna die from rough sex.

I guess anything is possible. I really hope
she wasn't molested. Molestation is easily my least favorite plot element in any media ever. Her getting bone chiseled would be much more out of the box, and interesting to me, if that makes any sense.

LordCanti said:
I guess anything is possible. I really hope
she wasn't molested. Molestation is easily my least favorite plot element in any media ever. Her getting bone chiseled would be much more out of the box, and interesting to me, if that makes any sense.

Yeah I do think some bone chiseling went on. I'm not sure if there was sexual abuse as well, but that is just my guess considering fucked up sexual relations has been a huge part of MPD.

Obsessed said:
I just assumed the
secret was that she was defiled by her father, and probably physically scarred from abuse.

I mean... her
father isnt a surgeon. I really really don't think you can chisel someone's skin off and fashion it into a penis and then attach that to their body unless you have a lot of fancy medical equipment.

Yeah, this seems like the most likely explanation to me. I can see the argument for the alternative, but I think it's just a case of
scars of physical abuse from her father. Being molested by her father would also offer an explanation as to Yuri's comments about women not needing men, and some of her actions (which I think would be quite odd if she had a penis).

scy

This entire page seems like a redacted government document...

I really need to get around to watching this episode, lol.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, this seems like the most likely explanation to me. I can see the argument for the alternative, but I think it's just a case of
scars of physical abuse from her father. Being molested by her father would also offer an explanation as to Yuri's comments about women not needing men, and some of her actions (which I think would be quite odd if she had a penis).

And sadly the
"she is a lesbian because she was sexually abused by a man"
belief is pretty common in works of fiction. Just like the Freudian Excuse.

scy said:
This entire page seems like a redacted government document...

I really need to get around to watching this episode, lol.

lol. Yeah the best part about watching a recent episode of an anime is knowing that I can highlight all the black bars in this thread.

Jex

[Penguin Drum 15]
Krev said:
The scene where Yuri's father tells her that he's the only one that can love her and beckons her over, before we cut to a shot of her (suddenly) nude legs as she walks towards him is pretty strongly suggestive of that.
There's nothing to confirm that he was actually chiseling at her either. Everything is just implied.
That's why it's so much fun,
it could be anything! Which is a lot worse than if they showed it, in some respects.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jexhius said:
[Penguin Drum 15]

That's why it's so much fun,
it could be anything! Which is a lot worse than if they showed it, in some respects.
Exactly, evidently
some people's minds are going straight to hyper-nightmare mode. That's the power of suggestion for you.

Ben-to 3

J1EyMl.jpg

GAR as fuck! I love this show. MC is a total bro playing Virtua Fighter with his hot cousin.

Majikoi 3 - I think this might be the best episode yet. There's no fighting to speak of this time, just two shorter parts that focus on two of the girls, but both are well done and entertaining. This is probably the first episode of the show that I've thought was solidly entertaining all the way through.

The first part is about the blue-haired girl who keeps trying to get the MC to be with her. Amusing stuff, though
talking outside his door with the robot about how he had been rejected so now she should have a chance was kind of cruel... :)
. The second story is about the shy girl, as she talks to her ... talking animal thing... (unless that voice is actually her talking too? I'm not entirely sure, it well could be that) while in the bath. It was definitely an amusing scene, the interaction between the "two" characters was good.

So yeah... this show is pretty average stuff, but at least it's not awful, like Maken-Ki.

Steroyd said:
Maji de Watashi - 03

Holy crap at the beginning lol.

Watching this all the way through on principle, MC is self aware that his harem or at least parts of his harem are into him and isn't afraid to ask a girl out, a simple reason sure, but it's so refreshing after a plethora of rage inducing harem leads.
Yeah, it is nice that he actually knows they like him, and that he actually has asked a girl... often even H-game adaptations like this one completely ditch such ideas. This one doesn't entirely.

scy said:
To be fair, did anyone expect otherwise?
Probably not, but I was hoping it'd be slightly more tolerable than it is. Oh well, it is indeed not exactly surprising that it isn't any good at all.

It might be? I'm hoping there's more to it
like, some reason the Four Heavenly Kings needed to meet (...minus Ii)
that we weren't shown. Otherwise, it's basically just a grabass scene for no reason. Horizon has enough to wade through as is, it seems; why add these unnecessary detours? :/
Because the plot is complex, and they want to keep it that way. Why bother with simplicity which people might actually understand, when you could instead have more layers of complexity that doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't explained well?

... I have nothing against complexity in a show, it can be great in fact... but they just aren't doing it the right way.

Honestly, I didn't picture myself at the start of the season to be looking forward to it but, damn I want some more.
Indeed. And ep. 3's aired now, so time to watch it soon...

hosannainexcelsis said:
Voices of a Distant Star

I just watched a poem.

Like much poetry, this is more concerned with moods and themes than story or characters. Instead of real people, the couple end up being symbols for the idea of star-crossed lovers (literally star-crossed in this case). Sitting back and letting the beautiful visuals and meandering writing wash over you makes for a pleasant half-hour, even if it ends up feeling slight.

For a solo effort, it's very impressive.
Yeah, it really is amazing how great a job he did, doing everything (including the voices, originally) mostly on his own... (I think his wife did the female character, or something?). And the story stands up regardless of how it was created, it's well thought through. It is quite short of course, but for its length it works. Shinkai got well-deserved recognition for this.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Every single shot of this film is lovingly crafted for maximum beauty. Even if it's just two guys talking in a random room, the angles and lighting and composition make it seem like a painting. It's ridiculous!

Of course, the continual beauty is awe-inspiring and evocative, and the existence of actual characters and plot helps to alleviate the self-indulgence of Voices. I actually believed the relationships between the central trio here, since they had more time to breathe and develop. I wish the function of the Tower and its connection to Sayuri had been left more mysterious instead of being coated over with technobabble, but the explanations never got so weighty as to drag the atmosphere of the show down.

I really liked it.
Yeah, The Place Promised is an outstanding movie. Shinkai's first movie is great, but this one, his second, is even better. The story, characters, art, it's all done extremely well. I liked the ending too,
it was nice to have a much happier ending than Voices had. :)

Durarara!! 17

So Mikado is leader of the Dollars, Masaomi is leader of the Yellow Scarves, and Anri has Saika.....and a showdown is coming. This can all be resolved if all three of them had a threesome >_>

Ezalc

Un-Go 2
I still enjoy this show, the OP and ED are pretty awesome as well probably my favorite OP and ED this season.
Was I the only one who thought the murderer was pretty damn cute?

Mature

Dresden said:
Are you a wolf or a pig?
Cool%20Wolf%20Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

Ezalc said:
Un-Go 2
I still enjoy this show, the OP and ED are pretty awesome as well probably my favorite OP and ED this season.
Was I the only one who thought the murderer was pretty damn cute?
That ED is the death of us who don't wish to continue watching. Because we will.

Dresden

E4Rgo.jpg

I can't wait until he maxes out Expression, they'll have to draw a smile for him then instead of the vapid Vietnam stare thing he has going on right now.

Didn't watch ep.2 but the third one was pretty fun, Chie is still so moe despite the Croisee-esque eyespans that they're all rocking at random points throughout the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ben-to 3: God damn Gundogs. The campers of the Bento world! I'd also wonder why they are wearing jerseys that say "KKK", but I figure that's a Japanese thing. :p

Anyway, here we have the "real men fight" story and in the absurd context of the world, it's amazing. This really is the best heroic bloodshed super heterosexual manly man anime outside of Gintama at the moment. I can even forgive the more animu moments that pop up in the show - like the preview after the credits.

I also forgot all the Sega stuff from last week's episode, because I was caught off guard by the use of real Virtua Fighter footage in the show. Clearly the end-game is a Virtua Fighter spinoff featuring the Ben-to characters.

So I watched the first episode of Steins;Gate before noon, and finished it just now and have a quick question.

How long do I have to wait before I watch another anime? Because after what I just sat through, I'm pretty sure I'd say that everything I watch prior to it is garbage. D=

Jex

Un-Good 2

This is...better than the first episode. Which isn't really saying a lot. Suffice to say I identified the perpetrator as soon as they appeared on screen, and you could use some logic to work out what was going on. However, it soon became surprisingly convoluted, apparently so that we could all learn about HUMANITY and SOCIETY and HYPOCRISY. It was deep, like a bucket.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everyone should go watch/re-watch LoGH
Dynedom said:
Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars

A day late on this because I had to go out. Overture is also on the way...

ZqIGB.jpg

ZOmzO.jpg

Now this is more like it!

From a story standpoint, this is great. We get the
same political subterfuge
that we come to expect from LoGH. It's also amusing how both Reinhard and Wang
always seem to rise to the occasion,
albeit in different ways (
the second screenshot should point to it being a hollow point at best
). It's also particularly delicious
in Reinhard's case because he's got that political bulls-eye on his back
. These "battles" themselves are fun.

The all-important
meeting between Reinhard and Wang
honestly could not have been done in a better way,
in the midst of a battle with Wang acting as a good foil to Reinhard's brilliance and asserting himself as a force to be reckoned with
. I also like that as early as this movie, we see where the possible paths where these characters are going to be going (particularly Wang learning to assert himself a bit more and Reinhard being humbled).

From an animation standpoint, nothing to worry about. You still get the odd intra-crew fistfights (which is admittedly better than Golden Wings, imho) but the really juicy stuff is the actual space (and in this case
planetary
) combat. It's just so fluid. Once again, these movies bring a tear to my eye as they harken back to a day where things could be so vivid without having to rely on things like CG. The quality of the art speaks for itself.

The biggest improvement I find is in the score. It's fantastic. One part I particularly liked was when
Reinhard's left wing advances to what appears to be suicide in the climax of the film.
. It is by all means a really tense scene, with
officers themselves leaning forward in their seats in anticipation of what will happen
. Despite that, the music is alarmingly calm (even serene). The brilliant thing is that it's not out of place and almost
spoiler-ish in itself (give what eventually happens)

Overall, a really good entry into the LoGH universe. Highly recommended.

Next up: Overture to a New War!

Thoraxes

Penguindrum 15:

Someone post that image with a person accepting Ikuhara's manhood into their mouth, because that's how I feel again this week. Watching anime being saved every week is so fucking good I can't stand it.

I don't think she was raped, but I do think he was fucking up her body to try and reshape her, and that last chisel was definitely a means of doing something horrible.

Shouma white-knighting was great, and the whole idol thing between #1 and #3 had me in tears from laughter.

I'm very curious as to where the show is headed now, because as i'm shown every week, I have no fucking clue what's going to happen next week, and so on. I'm also very curious as to what will become the next big unknown in this show's bag of mysteries. We know the diary is important, and we know why it's important and how it can be used. The questions that remain now are (for me anyways), what is the penguindrum, where is it, what is the name of the spell, and who is going to use it first and why?

Mature

Jexhius said:
Un-Good 2
However, it soon became surprisingly convoluted, apparently so that we could all learn about HUMANITY and SOCIETY and HYPOCRISY. It was deep, like a bucket.
What better conduit than vocaloids?

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Un-Good 2

This is...better than the first episode. Which isn't really saying a lot. Suffice to say I identified the perpetrator as soon as they appeared on screen, and you could use some logic to work out what was going on. However, it soon became surprisingly convoluted, apparently so that we could all learn about HUMANITY and SOCIETY and HYPOCRISY. It was deep, like a bucket.

A piss bucket.

JKTrix

LoGH
It's important to note for anyone who hasn't started yet, or has seen LoGH and not the movies, the My Conquest is the Sea of Stars movie came out first and should be watched first. Unlike most of the other 'side' productions, it is actually important to the 110 episode series.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Un-Good 2

I liked the part where we were supposed to be cheering for hackers uploading a murderer's songs onto the internet.

duckroll

So, I think before the next episode airs, we should try to guess what scene will take place in a female toilet. That seems like it could be more exciting than solving the actual mystery.

Branduil

duckroll said:
So, I think before the next episode airs, we should try to guess what scene will take place in a female toilet. That seems like it could be more exciting than solving the actual mystery.
Well there will definitely be a scene like that.

Jex

duckroll said:
I think...in the first seven minutes.

iavi

Ben-To 3

howlingwolf.jpeg

Firehawk12 was dead on, lol. The
Gundogs really are the weapon spawn campers of the supermarket.

Also, I've just realized that Sega will probably be the only company I'll ever want MORE product placement from.

---------

Layton & The Eternal Diva

This was a lot of fun. Granted, I did get Secret Based so... Yeah. The movie looks great. Layton is the motherfuckin boss incarnate. And that series' OST can not be beat. The arrangements in the movie are fantastic.

"Theme of Professor Layton"

That one isn't as good as its live arrangement on the Curious Village OST, but what is?

Articalys

duckroll said:
Why don't you google it? :)
Amusingly enough, doing an image search for
the Irish mythological figure Diarmuid Ua Duibhne
, the full name, gives you mostly pictures of
Fate/zero Lancer

Anyway, Fate/zero 4:

The incompatibility between Waver and Rider makes for great comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom