• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Working'!! 04:

Such a great episode, it's still unbelievable how much better this season is than the first. The Otoo x Yamada stuff is always great, the Souma / Satou friendship stuff is legitimately good and the series actually tries to make Inami likable this time around by not having her bash some guys skull in every 10 seconds, in fact I don't think it happened once this episode. The series really manages to knock the simple fact that it's a story about a bunch of co-workers working together out of the park, something that the first season really failed to do especially in retrospect.

This show is cementing itself as my 2nd favorite show of the season after Fate/Zero.

S1 was great too, and you suck!

Articalys

Okay, this is pretty funny: a glow-in-the-dark Akarin shirt.

BQlMO.jpg

pZ0I9.jpg

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Imagine walking down a dark alley and seeing that.
Oh god, it's an anime nerd.

That'd kinda creep me out because meeting an anime fan in a dark alley seems like a recipe for disaster. Think of all the muggers that would be trailing him at that point, him and his sack full of comiket loot.

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
Oh god, it's an anime nerd.

That'd kinda creep me out because meeting an anime fan in a dark alley seems like a recipe for disaster. Think of all the muggers that would be trailing him at that point, him and his sack full of comiket loot.

To be fair, even in Akihabara something like that would likely be freaking weird.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MPD 15: Small budgets is suffering.

On the other hand this had one of the most FABULOUS MAX moments in the entire series.

gundam AGE 3

It really has been a while since we had a gundam pilot that wasn't kickass day one.

He also fights pretty conservative unlike the last few jackie chan mechas.

Plot is pretty generic, but nobody is super annoying (yet). Gotta love how mysterious girl A is like "Chill Flint, don't get carried away and act like every other gundam pilot!"

Random question, is it creativity limitation that leads to every single space colony looking somewhat like the ME citadel (not the first, just can't recall any other colony names atm =P)?

Jex

Dynedom said:
Legend of Galactic Heroes - Overture to a New War

No complaints at all. Everything is fleshed out enough for my tastes. The
tragic love triangle between Jessica, Lap and Wang
, the epic
"rigged" battle which ultimately goes Reinhard's way, albeit not the clean victory he would have liked
and most importantly the foundations for character development (
Wang being put into a position of more authority
)
I feel that you've neglected to mention how that whole first act, including all the
Jessica/Yang stuff
is played with practically no dialogue at all. It's a story told through visuals which, for a LOGH work, is pretty impressive.

scy

Regulus Tera said:
Mirai Nikki 03: D'aww this is adoHOLYFUCKSHITWHAAGH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Reminds me that I haven't watched any episodes of this yet. Now I must go remedy this.

Jex

Hitokage said:
Monster 36-39

This show just went all Ikuhara on me.

Cool.
I keep thinking that means you must be near the end, but then I remember how long it is.
duckroll said:
Guilty Crown is better than Demon City Shinjuku (80s), on par with Speedgrapher (00s), but not as good as Ninja Scroll (90s). Does that answer your question?
I didn't actually expect anyone to answer that question.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I keep thinking that means you must be near the end, but then I remember how long it is.
It's pretty long, amazing how it never falls into a rut of doing the same stuff over and over again.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
It's pretty long, amazing how it never falls into a rut of doing the same stuff over and over again.

I've never actually finished Monster. Does it fall into the 20th Century Boys trap of asspull after asspull when Urasawa writes himself into a corner?

Jex

chickdigger802 said:
gundam AGE 3

It really has been a while since we had a gundam pilot that wasn't kickass day one.

He also fights pretty conservative unlike the last few jackie chan mechas.

Plot is pretty generic, but nobody is super annoying (yet). Gotta love how mysterious girl A is like "Chill Flint, don't get carried away and act like every other gundam pilot!"
So, as you seem like one of the few people watching the show, what good reason does it have to exist? What does it bring to the table, if anything?

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
There are multiple curious things that come to mind when someone claims something is going Ikuhara on them, but that's not one of them.
Episode count, not content.

Articalys

Phi Brain 4

This show really is a lot of fun. Jun Fukuyama clearly having a great time voicing Gammon.
Now the whole cast is assembled, and next episode looks pretty cool as well, if the white afro dude is getting into the action.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
I've never actually finished Monster. Does it fall into the 20th Century Boys trap of asspull after asspull when Urasawa writes himself into a corner?
Well I haven't read 20th Century Boys, so I can't compare it exactly, but I wouldn't characterize Monster's ending that way.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pokémon Best Wishes! 023-024: Team Rocket and Team Plasma serial, woo-

Wait, what do you mean these two episodes were banned? :mad: Motherfucking Pokeymenz.

Branduil

duckroll said:
Guilty Crown is better than Demon City Shinjuku (80s), on par with Speedgrapher (00s), but not as good as Ninja Scroll (90s). Does that answer your question?
Speed Grapher was garbage though.

Erigu

zeroshiki said:
The Johan side is a bit of a mess, yeah, and I remember the ending and the events leading to it as being quite silly and lazy.
It sure is a good thing there's Tenma's "the Fugitive"-like side to keep the nonsensical Johan plot/"mythology" from completely sabotaging the work. So it's not as bad as 20th Century Boys (and, I suspect, pretty much all subsequent Urasawa works...?), anyway.

trejo

Mirai Nikki 3

Yuno is love.

Also, that
eye scene
made me cringe like no other thing has managed to in a while. Damn.

iavi

All jokes aside, I don't even think Speed Grapher was garbage-tier stuff. I'll never forgive Gonzo for completely bastardizing Kozaki's art, but I do remember the actual show being fun.

Jex

Erigu said:
The Johan side is a bit of a mess, yeah, and I remember the ending and the events leading to it as being quite silly and lazy.
It sure is a good thing there's Tenma's "the Fugitive"-like side to keep the nonsensical Johan plot/"mythology" from completely sabotaging the work. So it's not as bad as 20th Century Boys (and, I suspect, pretty much all subsequent Urasawa works...?), anyway.
That's not right, because Pluto came afterwards and was far superior.

Branduil

To be honest I dropped the show pretty early. It was pretty amazing how actively stupid it was without being intentionally ironic, though. A villain who literally smokes 100-dollar bills.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
That's not right, because Pluto came afterwards and was far superior.

21st Century Boys was total garbage though.

Urasawa couldn't leave well enough alone and go with the obvious answer so he creates this completely new series to muddy up the waters even more.

I never read Pluto because the 20CB series turned me off his stuff completely. (Not enough to want to run him over or anything, though)

Dresden

zeroshiki said:

Urasawa couldn't leave well enough alone and go with the obvious answer so he creates this completely new series to muddy up the waters even more.

I never read Pluto because the 20CB series turned me off his stuff completely. (Not enough to want to run him over or anything, though)
Pluto is awesome man, you need to read that shit.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:

Wouldn't that be like not watching Miyazaki movies because you watched Howl's Moving Castle, though? I mean if trustworthy people say his other works are good...

Miri said:
All jokes aside, I don't even think Speed Grapher was garbage-tier stuff. I'll never forgive Gonzo for completely bastardizing Kozaki's art, but I do remember the actual show being fun.

Yeah, Speed Grapher was great. Had some interesting characters and creative fight scenes (the diamond lady fight still sticks out in my mind).

Hunter x Hunter R 4

Only notable censoring is the lack of blood during the
card impaling
, which is kind of weird considering we've already seen a decent amount of blood in episode 2. The Hisoka gimping might still be up in the air.

A bit disappointed they cut out the alternate route in the tunnel and Tonpa being douchey to the main group, but w/e. Not super important and Tonpa's character has already been established.

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
Pluto is awesome man, you need to read that shit.
Branduil said:
Wouldn't that be like not watching Miyazaki movies because you watched Howl's Moving Castle, though? I mean if trustworthy people say his other works are good...

I mean, Urasawa's biggest hit is still 20CB. It's not like watching Miyazaki, hating Totoro and swearing everything he does off completely. (Which if you did, you probably should quit anime completely)

I do plan on watching Monster eventually since everyone seems to love it and yeah, maybe Pluto one day. I'll just buy the set if its not too many volumes.

iavi

Branduil said:
To be honest I dropped the show pretty early. It was pretty amazing how actively stupid it was without being intentionally ironic, though. A villain who literally smokes 100-dollar bills.

That's just how Suitengu rolls.

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, Speed Grapher was great. Had some interesting characters and creative fight scenes (the diamond lady fight still sticks out in my mind).

Yeah, the fights were pretty interesting. I think the one that got me most was the dude with the soundwaves.

Miri said:
That's just how Suitengu rolls.

And it's badass as hell. Brandy seems to have a low threshold for legit badassery if something like that (which people actually do in certain organized crime groups to prove a point) bothers him.

Last Exile Fam 2 - This episode had some great action scenes, as always, and the three main characters continue to be great, but plotwise it was confusing. The show could well explain itself later though, there was a lot going on this time... but yeah, they don't explain much of anything, and some things don't make much sense.

Regardless, though, sad episode. :( I hope things don't continue to go so badly...

Ezalc said:
Immoelmann Turn 2

Why does Dio look younger in this series even though it takes place after the original? Also what happened to the hot older sister? I'll be pissed if she'd dead man. Finally I don't remember Exile being crescent shaped, and if this is supposed to be the earth why are there like five moons for it? Wtf?
I don't know if Dio looks too different, but yeah, I want to know what happened to the older sister too. I think she's okay for the moment -- she should still be on the lead enemy flagship, which retreated before the Exile attack -- but yeah... what happened there. Why did she start glowing blue and turn into basically this villain guy's tool to bring down Exile onto the city with? That made absolutely no sense, I don't get that at all. Also, yeah, I don't remember Exile looking like that either. I am also quite confused. I mean, the older sister clearly strongly opposes what this guy wants to do, why would she suddenly not just do what he wants (other than because he has overwhelming force and their country can't win in comparison), but somehow actually be something that can summon that Exile or something? Even Alvis couldn't do that, I think, not like that... unless he actually has that power and is somehow just using her somehow? Possible, but nothing is explained.

As for the moons, those could be ships, not the moon... or maybe it's in pieces? Who knows, maybe it'll explain later. That or this isn't Earth, which is also possible I imagine.

So yeah, we need explanations. Hopefully the show will give some eventually.

firehawk12 said:
Last Exile Fam Fan Fan Fam Fam:

I think the fact that it's giant ships fighting each other that I'm finding this more engaging that it might actually be. That said, I do appreciate that they seem to be just throwing people into the world without trying to catch anyone up. I mean, the second episode has
a crescent moon space ship thing crash into the planet and then destroy a city
, with no real explanation for new viewers, so what the hell.

Dat CG though. I suppose it's easy to just ignore after a while.
Well, I think the confusion of almost all plot elements in this episode are really what highlights how good the action parts are. If the plot actually made any sense it'd hold up better (and it might later in retrospect, once it explains some things), but yeah, for now the action, and maybe also the main three characters, are the highlights, along with the theme, music, etc.

As for "no explanation for new viewers"... yeah, good point, people watching this REALLY should watch the first season first, without that some of the few bits of plot in the episode that did made sense probably wouldn't. :)

Miri said:
Speed Grapher was pretty good. I quite liked it. Sure, it has some problems, but it did a lot more right than wrong.

Articalys said:
Okay, this is pretty funny: a glow-in-the-dark Akarin shirt.

BQlMO.jpg

pZ0I9.jpg
That is pretty awesome. :)

Poor Akarin...

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
And it's badass as hell. Brandy seems to have a low threshold for legit badassery if something like that (which people actually do in certain organized crime groups to prove a point) bothers him.
Well that's actually one of the less stupid things compared to what else happens in that show.

It's basically extreme for the sake of being extreme, so I'm not surprised you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom