• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been holding off on watching the LoGH Gaiden: Yang Stories just because Reinhard and Red are just so much cooler as space bros. Is it comparable, or just more of Yang talking?
cosmicblizzard said:
Do you like Death Note? If so, WATCH MIRAI NIKKI!

Heroic Age 7

Kind of getting bored of these ant heap fights. Hope legit villains join the fray soon.
Heroic Age is pretty boring and standard the whole way. I'd just drop it.

Steroyd said:
Overall he isn't evil, and my laughing gif was because the whole reason Lelouch does what he does is all for his sister, which is pretty central to the whole plot.

Regulus Tera said:
Hitler had good intentions as well.[/Godwin's Law]
Well, he thought so, but not most people... Still though, you're right, in that intentions don't matter when determining evil as much as actions do, and he proves himself evil through his actions. Anime villains often think they have decent reasons for doing what they're doing, after all...

zeroshiki

Are we going to go through the meaning of evil now? I also don't see what's so expressly evil about his actions in an anime context. Is it because he kills people? Amuro Rei, that paragon of virtue, has killed people too. Is he evil?

Lelouch is hardly a villain. If he was then who was the lead? Suzaku? :barf

Steroyd

Regulus Tera said:
Hitler believed he had good intentions as well.[/Godwin's Law]

Hitler didn't have a sister complex... or a geass.

A Black Falcon said:
Well, he thought so, but not most people... Still though, you're right, in that intentions don't matter when determining evil as much as actions do, and he proves himself evil through his actions. Anime villains often think they have decent reasons for doing what they're doing, after all...

Wait... does that make Suzaku... a... good guy!? *vommit*

Lelouch did have a decent reason for doing what he did, well to be more accurate the people he aligned with had parralell intentions to what he wanted to achieve, or are you ignoring the Empire and what they did to the Elevens?

duckroll

Steroyd said:
Hitler didn't have a sister complex... or a geass.

Were you there? I don't see how you can say that for a fact. All we know from history is what is documented by those who eventually won.

Steroyd

duckroll said:
Were you there? I don't see how you can say that for a fact. All we know from history is what is documented by those who eventually won.

You're right, his geass could have manipulated what really happened.

Squid Girl Day!

HQCjI.gif

right? right!?

I'm so sad :(

Coxy

Ben To 3
Pants are stupid!
Are you a sex offender

Ika Musume 1-7
Watching this based on gaf recommendation and it's actually really great, the first mini-Ika bit is :( though

Jarmel

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Are we going to go through the meaning of evil now? I also don't see what's so expressly evil about his actions in an anime context. Is it because he kills people? Amuro Rei, that paragon of virtue, has killed people too. Is he evil?

Lelouch is hardly a villain. If he was then who was the lead? Suzaku? :barf

Suzaku certainly was a villain as well. Pretty much everyone in the damn show was except Nunnally and Euphemia(before she had her spring cleaning).

Lelouch though while not the best of men wasn't sadistic or cruel. He was very Machiavellian which I personally believe is a neutral stance because the ends do justify the means.

-Minsc-

Gintama 231

You know that line that many shows never dare cross which Gintama has? Remember thinking they can't possibly go any further? Then you watch this episode.

7Th

Onemic

hosannainexcelsis said:
Given your second question I can't see any way you'll enjoy Guilty Crown. I don't know why you would even be interested in it to begin with.

Well the OP did say the show had a 98% chance of saving anime.....

Guess the genre truly is dead :(

Defuser

Working'!! ep 4
What a great progress in this episode. Yachiyo and Souta are gradually realizing.

Coolish Walk is growing on me,it may not be a earworm like Someone but the instrumentals make up for it.

Articalys

a4i0r.jpg

(photoshop skills suck, deal with it)

G Final
1st 428 Kyouko Sakura @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 250 Index @ A Certain Magical Index

Last match of the group rounds has arrived!

YHyn6.png

BluWacky

onemic said:

I don't think anyone's ever defined what we're hoping to save anime from, though. So I'm sure Guilty Crown has saved us from some things. For instance, I'm so glad that I didn't have to watch loads of glorious traditionally animated mecha combat or non-stereotypical female characters in it, that would have been horrifying.

Thanks, Guilty Crown!

BluWacky

firehawk12 said:
Where do the writers fit in?!

If you read the article, it tells you - between Image Boards and Storyboards. You do your pre-production concept art stuff with an outline of the series, and then you write scripts to which the storyboards are tied (because you're storyboarding the scenes in the script). Same as with pretty much anything filmed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
-Minsc- said:
Gintama 231

You know that line that many shows never dare cross which Gintama has? Remember thinking they can't possibly go any further? Then you watch this episode.
Amazing episode. Use your five senses!

BluWacky said:
If you read the article, it tells you - between Image Boards and Storyboards. You do your pre-production concept art stuff with an outline of the series, and then you write scripts to which the storyboards are tied (because you're storyboarding the scenes in the script). Same as with pretty much anything filmed.
I know, I just like how writing somehow doesn't deserve a heading, because scripts just appear out of thin air or come from monkeys via typewriters or something.

It actually makes me wonder if spec scripts exist in animation, or if writers are so ghettoized that it's just taken for granted that someone can hack together some dialog to stitch the pictures together.

NeonZ

firehawk12 said:
It actually makes me wonder if spec scripts exist in animation, or if writers are so ghettoized that it's just taken for granted that someone can hack together some dialog to stitch the pictures together.

Depending on the anime, I've seen writers getting the first credit in the ending sequence, even before the voice actors. So, I don't think the situation is that bad in Japan, it's mostly the Western fanbase ignoring writers. I'm not saying that they're treated well either though, especially considering how I've seen writers getting credited for scripts in more than one anime at once.

onemic said:

Guess the genre truly is dead :(
Everyone with sense knew before Guilty Crown aired that it would be crap - the only question was whether it would be enjoyable crap like Code Geass or just crap crap. As it turns out, it is the latter.

Now if you really are looking for legitimately good anime from this season, or this year, or the past several years, I could certainly give you some recommendations.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
Code Geass may be a lot of things, but it is never boring, and that alone puts it above tons of shows airing nowadays.
It is the essence of entertainment.

Jex

PdotMichael said:
What is the opinion of anime-GAF about Kemono no Souja Erin? For some reason I never saw mroe than episode 1.
I don't think anyone has seen it, besides myself and flawfuls (?) so anime-GAF has no opinion.

My opinion is that it's a good, if clearly flawed, series. It's (apparently) hampered by a low budget which forces them to re-use lots of their (already) very average looking animation. If you can look beyond it's flaws you'll find a pretty interesting and enjoyable show. It seems weird to say "give it 10 episodes" but they actually build towards an on-going story with every episode that passes.

I could easily describe the whole show in a nutshell, but that would also be a spoiler.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NeonZ said:
Depending on the anime, I've seen writers getting the first credit in the ending sequence, even before the voice actors. So, I don't think the situation is that bad in Japan, it's mostly the Western fanbase ignoring writers. not saying that they're treated well either though, especially considering hown I've seen writers getting credited for scripts in more than one anime at once.
I just find it funny that it's sort of like assumed a script will just plop in there. Of course, maybe it's because 99% of anime is adapted from manga or novels, so they don't even need to try when it comes to the scripting process.

Gintama 231

0_o

This has to be crossing the line, :lol. I think they've gotten away with more here than in any other episode.

Looks like a serious arc might be next based on that character in the OP being in the preview.

Mirai Nikki ep 3: Man what a boring episode. But I can tell the next episode is going to be awesome.

Is it ever revealed why
opening the room caused the game to change for every single diary owner?

or how
the dude who captured Ninth has magical hypnosis powers? Or is it not a supernatural power at all in the context of the show and just exaggerated anime hypnosis?

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
I just find it funny that it's sort of like assumed a script will just plop in there. Of course, maybe it's because 99% of anime is adapted from manga or novels, so they don't even need to try when it comes to the scripting process.
It's not that you don't need to try, it's just that 99% of the time they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom