• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Obsessed said:
Mirai Nikki ep 3: Man what a boring episode. But I can tell the next episode is going to be awesome.

Is it ever revealed why
opening the room caused the game to change for every single diary owner?

or how
the dude who captured Ninth has magical hypnosis powers? Or is it not a supernatural power at all in the context of the show and just exaggerated anime hypnosis?

Yes.

I thought it was something she drank.

I, for one, welcome are new squii overlords.

you're so last week!

Jexhius said:
I don't think anyone has seen it, besides myself and flawfuls (?) so anime-GAF has no opinion.

My opinion is that it's a good, if clearly flawed, series. It's (apparently) hampered by a low budget which forces them to re-use lots of their (already) very average looking animation. If you can look beyond it's flaws you'll find a pretty interesting and enjoyable show. It seems weird to say "give it 10 episodes" but they actually build towards an on-going story with every episode that passes.

I could easily describe the whole show in a nutshell, but that would also be a spoiler.

thanks, I will watch it after Slam Dunk. The first episode was not bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Branduil said:
Who's the "lucky" father?
SPKW2l.jpg

Squid Girl is both father and mother!
PdotMichael said:
you're so last week!
If you wanna pay me a membership for Crunchyroll then go ahead.

7Th

NeonZ said:
Depending on the anime, I've seen writers getting the first credit in the ending sequence, even before the voice actors. So, I don't think the situation is that bad in Japan, it's mostly the Western fanbase ignoring writers. not saying that they're treated well either though, especially considering hown I've seen writers getting credited for scripts in more than one anime at once.

From what I've seen, the scriptwriter and the main staff (director, conte and animation director) almost always get credited before the voice actors.

Jex

7Th said:
From what I've seen, the scriptwriter and the main staff (director, conte and animation director) almost always get credited before the voice actors.
As they should. Stuff like Ano Hana doesn't just come from nowhere.

Are we going to go through the meaning of evil now? I also don't see what's so expressly evil about his actions in an anime context. Is it because he kills people? Amuro Rei, that paragon of virtue, has killed people too. Is he evil?
He doesn't just kill people, he does it in indefensible ways... I mean, like, for one example,
killing someone whose main crime was obeying his orders, which they had to thanks to his Geass
?

Lelouch is hardly a villain. If he was then who was the lead? Suzaku? :barf
Lelouch is evil, and the lead. He's a villain protagonist, like Light in Death Note, and some others.

Jarmel said:
Suzaku certainly was a villain as well. Pretty much everyone in the damn show was except Nunnally and Euphemia(before she had her spring cleaning).

Lelouch though while not the best of men wasn't sadistic or cruel. He was very Machiavellian which I personally believe is a neutral stance because the ends do justify the means.
Yeah, that's worth mentioning too -- not only do I dislike that the MC is evil, the rest of the cast are mostly just as bad. It's even worse, I think, in Death Note, which I really dislike... same for a few other things, like Black Lagoon. I want there to be good guys, when everyone is evil I am NOT going to like the show.

THE IDOLM@STER 2 PS3 version

With the release of this game just a few days away, is anybody going to make an |OT| for it? I9? Kiryogi? Who's gonna step up?

Dynedom

Legend Of Galactic Heroes - 03-04

I don't think I need to go into the whole "lol The 'USA' is evil in this anime, Germans are 'good'" discussion that seems to stem from LoGH but episode 3 sure sparks that debate pretty easily. People who may drop the show early will get the wrong impression that the Kaiser is a seemingly good guy (because he treats Reinhard well) and Truniht is an asshole (for obvious reasons).

Episodes 3 and 4 are somewhat slow burns, although 3 at least has the run in with
Truniht's gestapo
. I always laugh because it seems that they are incompetent (
given their long pauses in stride to attack Jessica
) but that might have just been an editing/directional thing.
Their "humming" during that part adds a really creepy tension to that entire scene and really highlights how utterly insane these people are.

U6dIu.jpg

"Hmmmm-hmm-hmmmm"

D21YS.jpg

Ice cold!

Moving on to episode 4, it's clear that it did some things better than Golden Wings. In fact, I find that if you combine parts of Golden Wings with the flashbacks in Episode 4, you'd get a much better movie. Neither of them is really perfect on their own. Golden Wings would have been great if maybe it had chronicled Reinhard and Sieg's rise through the academy for most of the film (at least the second part) while expanding more on Reinhard's dependancy on his sister and the eventual friendship between Reinhard and Sieg (their friendship in school as shown in Episode 4). Looking back at Golden Wings now, it seemed
the latter battles were shoe-horned in just to have Yang make an appearance.

qNXUl.jpg

Aww snap!

sxzop.jpg

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

Anyway, this series always did start a bit slow. Onwards!

scy

Infodumps in the Middle of Nowhere 4 - I like Futayo. Her and Asama are my standout favorites so far, but I blame my Spear and Bow fascination for that.

As for the episode itself,
looks like we get the answer to that forest scene from Episode 3
. We're also treated to the least amount of infodumping thus far since
the plot is kicking off; the fireworks have begun (The Genesis Plan). By the sound of things, it's a rebellion against the Testament Union. Badass Maid is badass and pieces are in motion.

Also, holy shit at the prospect of
Muneshige vs Tadakatsu.

I also find it weird that
the episode with the most stuff happening and yet I have little to say~

Ben-To 3 - This show is amazing, it really is. Sure, it's a harem show, but it's so much more than just your average harem show... it's also a completely absurd action show, and it has a philosophical message too about the value of effort over easy living! :)

... Well, that might be going a bit far, but not nearly as far as this show does. These ridiculous situations are so entertaining. The episode begins with a simply hilarious sequence explaining how the MC ended up naked in class and dove into an incinerator to try to retrieve his clothing. Great stuff, it was quite funny. :lol

Then, the MC and the girl always following him are tempted by a pack of hunting dogs. Too weak to stand up to wolves alone, they team up to easily take the food.
It takes almost too long for the MC to realize the problem with this concept -- that is, that it's too easy this way, and takes away the thrill of the fight -- but he eventually gets it, and makes the right decision.
Great episode, the plot and writing was every bit as great as ep. 2.

The ending introduces a fourth girl, an old friend of his or something. They apparently used to play Sega games together. (On that note, yes, that he's a Sega fan is a nice plot point. :))

Yami said:
Yeah, I bailed on the second episode. I can tolerate only so much juvenile crap, but this is just embarrassing. I don't mind my mates coming in my room when I'm watching shit, but with this, I would just have to turn it off. The second episode was pretty boring anyway, and I really don't see this anime going anywhere.

Pfff.

At least I can catch up on Guilty Crown now!
What are you complaining about, the sexism or the fanservice? I'm mostly complaining about the sexism.

scy said:
Ben-To 3 - I'm a little sad that Shiraume is probably an ultimately irrelevant character. I await the eventual
Oshiroi going crazy when Satou eventually ends up with the Ice Witch.
Though, thank you Ben-To for assuring me that pants are unneeded for civilized discussion.
I don't remember who any of those three characters are by name... :p (I do know the Ice Witch of course though)

trejo said:
Ben-to 4

Everyone knows food tastes better when you spill blood over it. Are you a dog or a Wolf?
I'm sure it does, yeah. :) Also, you mean ep. 3.

Hellsing321 said:
The guy being a sega fanboy was in the original novels too.
Huh... well, it's nice to see that they kept it in the anime.

Mature said:
Ben-to: 1-3
Usually, my complaint with most anime is it's story while the characters are the reason I stick around (usually). This show is at a stark contrast. Don't care for any of the characters thus far (the wizard seems pretty cool albeit cliche bad ass) but the premise is just so... funny? I don't know if it's even just that. It's genuinely interesting. I'll take something like this over the preachy crap I expect to be shoehorned into every Un-Go episode.

Even with the annoying fanservice which isn't that bad, but it would be better if it was either more subtle or non-existant.
Yeah, Ben-To is a perfect counterpoint to this season's other shows, many of which seem to be either awful or unhappy and depressing. Been watching too much of that stuff? Watch Ben-To, and feel better. :)

Coxy said:
Ben To 3
Pants are stupid!
Are you a sex offender
:lol, Yeah, as I said in my review, that was a pretty great sequence... :)

Branduil

Hajime no Ippo 6

smells.jpg

It's funny how reporters in anime always have unkempt hair, stubble beards, and a cigarette always on hand.

It's depressing when you realize all these guys are going to suffer from the effects of massive brain damage later on in life.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A Black Falcon said:
Ben-To Yeah, Ben-To is a perfect counterpoint to this season's other shows, many of which seem to be either awful or unhappy and depressing. Been watching too much of that stuff? Watch Ben-To, and feel better. :)

My own thoughts on Bento aside (its total garbage and really terrible), this is the perfect show this season to well, there really isn't a whole lot of unhappy and depressing stuff, but the awful stuff. Everybody should be watching it.

scy

A Black Falcon said:
The ending introduces a fourth girl, an old friend of his or something. They apparently used to play Sega games together. (On that note, yes, that he's a Sega fan is a nice plot point. :))

I was greatly entertained by her having what looks to be a claw grip for the fight stick, too; surprised me as I would have expected just some random hand position and I'm looking too deep into this, huh.

I don't remember who any of those three characters are by name... :p (I do know the Ice Witch of course though)

Ume Shiraume = Class Rep that is beating on the MC, Hana Oshiroi = the girl hanging around the MC, Sen Yarizui = The Ice Witch, Shaga Son of Dolf = Blondie
. Names come easy to me, apparently, lol.

Dynedom said:
Basara without a doubt. So much GAR.

http://daikazoku.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/gif.gif[IMG][/quote]

Oh god I had forgotten about that scene.

[quote=Branduil]It's funny how reporters in anime always have unkempt hair, stubble beards, and a cigarette always on hand. [/quote]

It's part of the job description.

[quote]It's depressing when you realize all these guys are going to suffer from the effects of massive brain damage later on in life.[/quote]

:/

scy said:
I was greatly entertained by her having what looks to be a claw grip for the fight stick, too; surprised me as I would have expected just some random hand position and I'm looking too deep into this, huh.
At first I thought that was a Dreamcast fighting stick, with that Saturn, because of the green knob (I have one of the Sega DC fighting sticks, it has that), but no, it's a Japanese Virtua Stick... the US ones of course were all black, like all Saturn stuff here.

But anyway, yeah, attention to detail is important. Of course they're going to have them hold the stick correctly. :)

Ume Shiraume = Class Rep that is beating on the MC, Hana Oshiroi = the girl hanging around the MC, Sen Yarizui = The Ice Witch, Shaga Son of Dolf = Blondie
. Names come easy to me, apparently, lol.
Yeah, I'm pretty bad with names, unless I really like the show or something I often take a while to remember their names, if I ever do... in a case like this one I more remember them by character design, I think. :p

Slam Dunk - 14

NCtHm.jpg

mhhhh... the action sequences are really bad animated, especially for a early 90s anime. I hope the next games are better, because the story and characters are great.

Guilty Crown 02

Still enjoying the show. Did not expect that ending.
So "genome" weapons are in everyone? Or certain few? And what about the flashbacks last episode? Clearly Inori has connections to the heros past.

Penguindrum 15

Yikes.
So Yuri's father was fucked in the head and gave her a penis? And Momoka used her diary to "change fate" and revert her to a different timeline/state?

I'm glad Ringo wasn't raped. The tone of this episode was all over the fucking place, and it detracted heavily from the emotional impact.
Big reveal. Good episode.

Tomodachi 02

Childhood friendship! Sounds like a good romance drama waiting to happen. The episode was Meat heavy, but made up for it in the last 2 minutes

Un-GO 02

This show is a puzzle.
Some kind of nanny-police state. I'm not sure if the internet guy is working with or against the Government completely
I like mystery shows, so I'll give this another few episodes.

Also, what is with the character designs? They seem very... stretched out. Almost like clamp at times.

Obsessed said:
Mirai Nikki ep 3: Man what a boring episode. But I can tell the next episode is going to be awesome.

Is it ever revealed why
opening the room caused the game to change for every single diary owner?

Yep.

Branduil said:
Hajime no Ippo 6

smells.jpg

It's funny how reporters in anime always have unkempt hair, stubble beards, and a cigarette always on hand.

It's depressing when you realize all these guys are going to suffer from the effects of massive brain damage later on in life.

Holy fuck the end is nigh :O

DodgeAnon said:
Just remembered I haven't watched all the Deadman Wonderland series. Only got 3 eps left. Heard the ending isn't great though.

What Steroyd said. It ends during the closing of a certain arc. There's also an OVA that recently came out dealing with Senji's past.

Might be good to skip around in the manga from the beginning until you get to where the anime ends since a few characters were cut out (albeit ones that aren't overly important until after the anime's ending).

Branduil

Birdy the Mighty Decode 3

The high school segments of this series aren't great. I mean they're not offensively bad, but they're merely competent portrayals of the usual stuff. The fight scenes are really good, though. Birdy does not look at explosions, confirming her coolness.
I did not expect Tute to die, just like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It must be nice to live in a world where futanari isn't the norm.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Master Milk said:
Because
the episode didn't indicate that she'd been given a penis at all, nor really imply it. The repeating chiseling noises and marks on her body seemed like pretty obvious references to physical abuse and rape. Not to mention, someone would surely have commented on her penis by now. Shoma saw her naked in this episode.

Last Exile 01-02

I'm not sure about this show. On one hand, its beautiful. Than you have CG that sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe thats intentional, I don't know. Of note, the majority of the cast is female.

Krev said:
I'm flabbergasted every time I read that someone thinks this.
If I'm interpreting her wounds and the imagery wrong, please do correct me.

Edit:
Krev said:
Because
the episode didn't indicate that she'd been given a penis at all, nor really imply it. The repeating chiseling noises and marks on her body seemed like pretty obvious references to physical abuse and rape. Not to mention, someone would surely have commented on her penis by now. Shoma saw her naked in this episode.

I don't want to get into an arguement about this, you're free to interpret things as you wish.

Momoka changed Yuri's fate. Undoing the physical damage she endured under her father, but not the emotional damage. I'm not sure why she noticed the change, when Momoka herself state that only she does. Plot hole? Doubtful, we probably don't know the full story yet.

Halycon said:
It must be nice to live in a world where futanari isn't the norm.
Hmmm, nope, can't say that it is.

Krev said:
Because
the episode didn't indicate that she'd been given a penis at all, nor really imply it. The repeating chiseling noises and marks on her body seemed like pretty obvious nods to physical abuse and rape. Not to mention, someone would surely have commented on her penis by now. Shoma saw her naked in this episode.
So, you didn't want to see a penis, so you didn't see a penis. That's fine. What I don't get, is why it leaves you so astounded that someone could see her being given a penis. You seem to have found an argument against there being a penis, which to me means you at one point in time were thinking maybe a penis was possible. Or, if nothing else, you should at least see why people might jump to the conclusion of her having a penis. Basically, I don't get why you're flabbergasted.

Personally, I want her to have a penis. Yuri's better when there's a penis involved.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
Where do the writers fit in?!

Writers don't fit in when we're talking about the production process of animation. Just like writers don't fit in when we're talking about how to shoot a scene in a movie. :p

Mawaru Penguindrum:
So, is anyone other than me expecting Kanba to die somewhere near the end of this show? I really hope he doesn't, but I have a feeling he will. The new ED credits seem to imply this to some extent.

Mawaru Penguindrum:
So, is anyone other than me expecting Kanba to die somewhere near the end of this show? I really hope he doesn't, but I have a feeling he will. The new ED credits seem to imply this to some extent.

Death flag for Ringo is even higher. She's beginning to immolate in the new intro! Much like her sister.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Master Milk said:
Hmmm, nope, can't say that it is.

So, you didn't want to see a penis, so you didn't see a penis. That's fine. What I don't get, is why it leaves you so astounded that someone could see her being given a penis. You seem to have found an argument against there being a penis, which to me means you at one point in time were thinking maybe a penis was possible. Or, if nothing else, you should at least see why people might jump to the conclusion of her having a penis. Basically, I don't get why you're flabbergasted.

Personally, I want her to have a penis. Yuri's better when there's a penis involved.
Of course I was thinking, at one point in time, that it was possible that she had a penis, even though I didn't think that's what the show was getting at. When I went online to discuss the episode one of the first things I noticed was the chorus of people saying, 'so she has a penis, right?' That I can come up with an argument against her having a penis doesn't mean that it was a clear and obvious fact and I must have thought long and hard about the fact in order to convince myself otherwise, as you seem to be implying. It just means that I'm able to look back on the episode and isolate what details are causing me to immediately reject the line you're taking. I only watched it a few days ago, after all.
Your argument sounds like a serious case of projection. It's not just a case of seeing a dick if you like futanari and not seeing it if you don't. I didn't see a penis because the evidence doesn't add up in that direction. You wanted Yuri to have a penis so you're looking at the episode from a skewed perspective and ignoring details that don't paint the picture you want to see.

MotionBlue said:
Death flag for Ringo is even higher. She's beginning to immolate in the new intro! Much like her sister.
Ah, yeah, I think you're pretty dead on with that.

Krev said:
Of course I was thinking, at one point in time, that it was possible that she had a penis, even though I didn't think that's what the show was getting at. When I went online to discuss the episode one of the first things I noticed was the chorus of people saying, 'so she has a penis, right?' That I can come up with an argument against her having a penis doesn't mean that it was a clear and obvious fact and I must have thought long and hard about the fact in order to convince myself otherwise, as you seem to be implying. It just means that I'm able to look back on the episode and isolate what details are causing me to immediately reject the line you're taking. I only watched it a few days ago, after all.
Your argument sounds like a serious case of projection. It's not just a case of seeing a dick if you like futanari and not seeing it if you don't. I didn't see a penis because the evidence doesn't add up in that direction. You wanted Yuri to have a penis so you're looking at the episode from a skewed perspective and ignoring details that don't paint the picture you want to see.
I don't think she had/has a penis, either. The chiseling, to me, was pretty obvious symbolism for rape.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
MotionBlue said:
That might be too obvious a route to take. It's in the opening sequence, and if there's one thing Ikuhara likes, it's screwing with audience expectation. I think there's a good chance Ringo will be set out to die, but somebody will make a trade that allows her to live.
And I agree with ∀ Narayan that it looks like Kanba is going to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom