• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yeah, I think you're pretty dead on with that.
Pun intended? :p

I don't think she had/has a penis, either. The chiseling, to me, was pretty obvious symbolism for rape.

They can also represent a scalpal, consider he holds it like one, but I understand your position too. Either way, its gross and I feel bad for Yuri, which is the intention.

Krev said:
That might be too obvious a route to take. It's in the opening sequence, and if there's one thing Ikuhara likes, it's screwing with audience expectation. I think there's a good chance Ringo will be set out to die, but somebody will make a trade that allows her to live.
And I agree with ∀ Narayan that it looks like Kanba is going to die.

I've gone on record numerous times that I think
She'll die since she was first introduced. Ikuhara is an asshole like that. I do hope she survives, if any character has gone through hell, its been her.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think she had/has a penis, either. The chiseling, to me, was pretty obvious symbolism for rape.
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.
If the writers wanted to imply that she was being given a penis, wouldn't it have been better to state that the father had some kind of medical background and was capable of such surgery, or at least show something to suggest that surgery was going on? There's also Momoka saying that Yuri was about to be killed. This makes sense if it's abuse that's going on, but not if the father's objective was to give his daughter a penis. Then there's that the whole penis theory came about because of people's interpretation of a line in episode 14, so it would have to be something persisting into the present. If this was a horrible thing done to her by her abusive father, as it was depicted in episode 15, wouldn't the rich, famous, adult Yuri have gotten it removed by now? Why would she want to keep it? Lastly, if the writers wanted us to get the impression that she had a penis, shouldn't they have included Shoma expressing shock at Yuri's appearance when he saw her nude?

zeroshiki

MPD:

I think when Yuri said Momoka accepted "all of her", she meant that Momoka accepted her even though she was "ugly". All the futanari speculation is kinda weird tbh.

Krev said:
If the take away they wanted us to have was that she was being given a penis, wouldn't it have been better to state that the father had some kind of medical background and was capable of such surgery, or at least show something to imply that surgery was going on? There's also Momoka saying that Yuri was about to be killed. This makes sense if it's abuse that's going on, but not if the father's objective was to give his daughter a penis. Then there's that the whole penis theory came about because of people's interpretation of a line in episode 14, so it would have to be something persisting into the present. If this was a horrible thing done to her by her abusive father, as it was depicted in episode 15, wouldn't the rich, famous, adult Yuri have gotten it removed by now? Why would she want to keep it? Lastly, if the writers wanted us to get the impression that she had a penis, shouldn't they have included Shoma expressing shock at Yuri's appearance when he saw her nude?
This is the same justification I'm finding in supporting her not having one. That line in episode 14 was certainly strange and I definitely had the same reaction as everyone else, but everything in episode 15 just doesn't allow it to add up.

Krev said:
If the take away they wanted us to have was that she was being given a penis, wouldn't it have been better to state that the father had some kind of medical background and was capable of such surgery, or at least show something to imply that surgery was going on? There's also Momoka saying that Yuri was about to be killed. This makes sense if it's abuse that's going on, but not if the father's objective was to give his daughter a penis. Then there's that the whole penis theory came about because of people's interpretation of a line in episode 14, so it would have to be something persisting into the present. If this was a horrible thing done to her by her abusive father, as it was depicted in episode 15, wouldn't the rich, famous, adult Yuri have gotten it removed by now? Why would she want to keep it? Lastly, if the writers wanted us to get the impression that she had a penis, shouldn't they have included Shoma expressing shock at Yuri's appearance when he saw her nude?

The penis came from the fact that she declared she was going to take Ringos virginity, and she wasn't running around with a dildo or similar object. Also the fact that the injuries on her arm, leg and cheek- common areas that skin is taken for genital reassignment surgery. Plus the whole obsession with David and the statues changing from mostly female to mostly male.

And as I said earlier, Momoka changed her fate. So she would not have it now.

Both theories work
(abuse/rape vs Surgery)
, that is Ikuhara's intention I think. I feel silly arguing about it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
MotionBlue said:
They can also represent a scalpal, consider he holds it like one, but I understand your position too.
But the constant hammering sound on the soundtrack implies penetration. It points towards a more direct reading of the chisel symbolism and away from reading it as a scalpel.
MotionBlue said:
The penis came from the fact that she declared she was going to take Ringos virginity, and she wasn't running around with a dildo or similar object.
And as I said earlier, Momoka changed her fate. So she would not have it now.
If she doesn't have it now, then it would have nothing to do with taking Ringo's virginity in the present. Her line, 'women don't need men to feel pleasure' also points away from this 'futanari' interpretation.

Krev said:
But the constant hammering sound on the soundtrack implies penetration. It points towards a more direct reading of the chisel symbolism and away from reading it as a scalpel.

If she doesn't have it now, then it would have nothing to do with taking Ringo's virginity in the present. Her line, 'women don't need men to feel pleasure' also points away from this 'futanari' interpretation.

Oh, hrm. Good point. Wasn't paying attention. You've changed my mind!

Mirai Nikki 3

Damn, the amusement park was a lot more heartwarming than in the manga. Then all hell breaks loose, :lol

Glad I read the manga. Knowing the significance of what is in the room and all the foreshadowing involved makes this a great series to reread/watch.

Kimi to Boku 4
tumblr_ltlemdJRGK1qhfrsfo1_500.gif

The mixer in the beginning was hilarious. Yuki always cracks me up. Kanamecchi focused episode was great. Chizuru's addition to the cast has worked wonders.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Krev said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15 Potential Spoilers Still Or Whatever:
I am probably not the right person to say this, but you guys are imposing a lot of sex over something that never really hints at anything like that. Maybe I just missed something but there didn't really seem to be anything sexual about the deformation Yuri's father was doing.

jman2050

Penguindrum 15

Really really cheap looking episode. Pretty disappointing actually.

That's really my only problem with this episode though.
Looks like we're finally at a semi-complete picture for what's going on, really interested to see the endgame for all this.

Dance In My Blood said:
I am probably not the right person to say this, but you guys are imposing a lot of sex over something that never really hints at anything like that. Maybe I just missed something but there didn't really seem to be anything sexual about the deformation Yuri's father was doing.

99% sure it was supposed to be ambiguous, just to mess with us

Enron

Banned
jman2050 said:
Penguindrum 15

Really really cheap looking episode. Pretty disappointing actually.

That's really my only problem with this episode though.
Looks like we're finally at a semi-complete picture for what's going on, really interested to see the endgame for all this.

AnimeGAF sees
dongs
everywhere confirmed.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dance In My Blood said:
The word I used, 'penetration', can be interpreted in multiple ways in this context.
Nonetheless, I think hints at sexual abuse are definitely there. Yuri comes back from school (dressed in her uniform) and tells her father about Momoka, only for him to explain that she can't trust strangers, and pure, beautiful love only exists among family members. He says, 'come over here if you understand', and in the next shot, Yuri is suddenly naked as she walks towards him. Then comes the rhythmic chiseling sound effect.

dimb

jman2050 said:
Penguindrum 15

I'm pretty sure it was ambiguous to be (somewhat) tasteful, discrete, and to cut costs when dealing with a scene that would potentially be fairly gory. It is a fairly common device in storytelling to magnify violence by obscuring it, because people always tend to assume the worst. Which is well evidenced in this thread of course.

Krev said:
Of course I was thinking, at one point in time, that it was possible that she had a penis, even though I didn't think that's what the show was getting at. When I went online to discuss the episode one of the first things I noticed was the chorus of people saying, 'so she has a penis, right?' That I can come up with an argument against her having a penis doesn't mean that it was a clear and obvious fact and I must have thought long and hard about the fact in order to convince myself otherwise, as you seem to be implying. It just means that I'm able to look back on the episode and isolate what details are causing me to immediately reject the line you're taking. I only watched it a few days ago, after all.
Your argument sounds like a serious case of projection. It's not just a case of seeing a dick if you like futanari and not seeing it if you don't. I didn't see a penis because the evidence doesn't add up in that direction. You wanted Yuri to have a penis so you're looking at the episode from a skewed perspective and ignoring details that don't paint the picture you want to see.
My initial response to you was about you being flabbergasted because someone questions whether Yuri has a penis or not. To me that's an odd response because the show hints at it. It's an even odder response when you have an argument to shoot down her having a penis ready, because the only reason you'd have one ready is if you were anticipating someone thinking she might have a penis. And it's even odder still when by your own admission you at first thought she might have a penis. I don't understand how you could have once thought that, but be flabbergasted when someone who just watched it thinks that.

As far as Yuri actually having a penis goes, I don't have an argument to project. I've made it clear that I prefer Yuri with a penis, but that's it. The show threw some hints out that she might have one, and is still ambiguous on whether she has one or not.

scy

To chime in late on the Penguindrum,
Most of the penis thoughts (...) extends from the wordings in the prior episode. It was still a hard sale to a point (because her partner there seemed to appreciate her enough and Yuri still considered herself unloved for her body) but it was a relatively easy logic jump based off other events. And because it seems like a pretty common point.

Episode 15, though, has a bit less of it; if anything, it seems more set on genderless form than hermaphroditic. But even that's a stretch. The only really obvious conclusion is that her body is scarred from something and there's abuse involved; whether or not it's sexual depends on how you want to take the chiseling scenes.

Personally, I'm on the camp that said she had one in 14 and is less sure with the events of 15. Really, the lone loose bit that puzzles me is her fellow actress she was with; clearly whatever it is that plagues her so is something that even she didn't think that her body was loved despite that. So I assume it's something less physical and more emotional, a trauma of her past that she holds onto rather than a physical "deformity".

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Master Milk said:
My initial response to you was about you being flabbergasted because someone questions whether Yuri has a penis or not. To me that's an odd response because the show hints at it. It's an even odder response when you have an argument to shoot down her having a penis ready, because the only reason you'd have one ready is if you were anticipating someone thinking she might have a penis.
Yes, I was anticipating people thinking she might have a penis, because, as I wrote in the post you quoted, many people were speculating that she did last week. The big talking points about episode 15 were, 'will Ringo be raped', and 'will it be revealed that Yuri has a penis?'.
As I said in my last post, my being able to form arguments just means that I'm able to look back on the show and recall things that clash with that interpretation. If you read over this thread you'll see that I come out with more counter-arguments as time goes by and I think about it more. Your and Motionblue's initial posts on the subject caused me to think about the subject and create a counter-argument. What is so 'odd' about that?
And it's even odder still when by your own admission you at first thought she might have a penis.
The thought didn't occur to me until I'd seen it suggested by others on the internet.
I don't understand how you could have once thought that, but be flabbergasted when someone who just watched it thinks that.
Episode 15 presented a lot of material that clashed with that interpretation, which I've already outlined in this thread, yet some people are still sticking to it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
scy said:
Most of the penis thoughts (...) extends from the wordings in the prior episode. It was still a hard sale to a point (because her partner there seemed to appreciate her enough and Yuri still considered herself unloved for her body) but it was a relatively easy logic jump based off other events.
All the 'evidence' there was in that episode was Tsubasa threatening to reveal the 'secret' of Yuri's body. It's silly to me how this whole theory has sprung up from such an ambiguous line, especially when nothing else points in that direction.
scy said:
The only really obvious conclusion is that her body is scarred from something and there's abuse involved; whether or not it's sexual depends on how you want to take the chiseling scenes.
Yuri suddenly appearing naked as the father beckons her to him after he explains that love only exists between family members is pretty suggestive though, no?
scy said:
Really, the lone loose bit that puzzles me is her fellow actress she was with; clearly whatever it is that plagues her so is something that even she didn't think that her body was loved despite that. So I assume it's something less physical and more emotional, a trauma of her past that she holds onto rather than a physical "deformity".
Agreed. Not to say she's not
physically scarred
as well, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KimiBoku 4: I think the episode is a bit weaker, by virtue of having a flashback sequence that didn't quite mesh with the second half of the episode (thematically, they were connected, but they were introducing a different set of characters in each). And we get a random love triangle to think about, which is always... well, in this case, I'm sure it will be fine, but you never know.

Although, the episode did have a mom who trolls her son, and that trope is always funny. Forget brocon - now it's soncon!

o42XTl.jpg

Erigu

[Mawaru-Penguindrum]
MotionBlue said:
Momoka changed Yuri's fate. Undoing the physical damage she endured under her father, but not the emotional damage.
Well, she still had those bandages...

I'm not sure why she noticed the change, when Momoka herself state that only she does. Plot hole?
I know, right?
Let's say Momoka picked a destiny where Yuri would remember... :p

Krev said:
Yes, I was anticipating people thinking she might have a penis, because, as I wrote in the post you quoted, many people were speculating that she did last week. The big talking points about episode 15 were, 'will Ringo be raped', and 'will it be revealed that Yuri has a penis?'.
As I said in my last post, my being able to form arguments just means that I'm able to look back on the show and recall things that clash with that interpretation. If you read over this thread you'll see that I come out with more counter-arguments as time goes by and I think about it more. Your and Motionblue's initial posts on the subject caused me to think about the subject and create a counter-argument. What is so 'odd' about that?
The thought didn't occur to me until I'd seen it suggested by others on the internet. Episode 15 presented a lot of material that clashed with that interpretation, which I've already outlined in this thread, yet some people are still sticking to it.
I thought it odd because before there were hints of rape or anything else, there were hints of a penis. Yea, some things happened in this episode that you want to take as proof that she doesn't have a penis, but the show still hasn't made it clear that she doesn't. If it were some other show it might be nonsensical to think that she has a penis, but this is Penguin Drum, she could have a penis. To be flabbergasted at people considering a possible possibility is odd.

dimb

jman2050 said:
Mirai Nikki 3

I'm surprised at how fun this is the second time around.
When you see those eyes at the end I was just like, "Aww yeah, buckle up."

zeroshiki

Master Milk said:
I thought it odd because before there were hints of rape or anything else, there were hints of a penis. Yea, some things happened in this episode that you want to take as proof that she doesn't have a penis, but the show still hasn't made it clear that she doesn't. If it were some other show it might be nonsensical to think that she has a penis, but this is Penguin Drum, she could have a penis. To be flabbergasted at people considering a possible possibility is odd.

MPD
Wait, why would he need to prove to you that she doesn't have a penis? Common sense dictates that a woman doesn't have a penis so the burden is on you, in this argument, to prove that she does. You're seeing Yuri with a penis because you've conditioned yourself to want to see it at this point.

scy

Penguindrum Redacted Documents

Krev said:
All the 'evidence' there was in that episode was Tsubasa threatening to reveal the 'secret' of Yuri's body. It's silly to me how this whole theory has sprung up from such an ambiguous line, especially when nothing else points in that direction.

It's honestly not a huge leap of logic. She has "something" about her body that is normally unacceptable. Combined with the presumed happy fun rape time the episode left us with, it's one of those "Wait, so she's ...?" moments. Something about her body plus her going to take Ringo such that she can only appreciate her body. It snowballs from there as more and more people jump to the same conclusion based off of that.

Plus, all we think about are dicks. I won't be surprised either way, though I'm leaning more towards just the mental/emotional trauma rather than that she's packing. It's a pretty huge stretch that her father did anything close to making a penis for her, y'know? He's a sculptor, not a surgeon; he chisels away at the material given, not reconstructs it.

Yuri suddenly appearing naked as the father beckons her to him after he explains that love only exists between family members is pretty suggestive though, no?

It's highly, highly, highly suggestive to that regard. But, at the same time, it could just be there as a red herring and just used as part of him working on her as canvas. Still, it takes some ignoring of the talk of love to get to this point, at least in my opinion. Plus, phallic imagery and all that.

Agreed. Not to say she's not
physically scarred
as well, though.

It probably is but
not in the way people were leaping at. Still, those physical scars are probably not the abnormality she was referencing. Unless she's really that vain on the whole thing :x

zeroshiki said:
MPD
Wait, why would he need to prove to you that she doesn't have a penis? Common sense dictates that a woman doesn't have a penis so the burden is on you, in this argument, to prove that she does. You're seeing Yuri with a penis because you've conditioned yourself to want to see it at this point.
He doesn't need to prove anything to me. There's nothing he can prove anyway, because the show hasn't made anything clear. And this is Penguin Drum, don't talk about common sense like it matters.

Sengoku Basara 2

THIS is why I watch anime. Extreme, badass, manly; none of these words do justice to the jaw-dropping spectacle I have just experienced. And I'm on the 2nd fuckin episode!

This is definitely something that has been missing from my life.

MotionBlue said:
Yikes.
So Yuri's father was fucked in the head and gave her a penis?

That isn't really implied at all. Well the "fucked up" part is, but not the latter part.

MotionBlue said:
Momoka changed Yuri's fate. Undoing the physical damage she endured under her father, but not the emotional damage. I'm not sure why she noticed the change, when Momoka herself state that only she does. Plot hole? Doubtful, we probably don't know the full story yet.

It might be that
you remember the change in fate if you were the one that had their fate altered. Momoka remembers by doing the spell, but Yuri remembers by being the target.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
zeroshiki said:
Yeah, anime sometimes get to the point and have stories to tell.
Malick films do have points and stories. They're just different sorts to what you find most everywhere else.
Penguindrum spoilers
scy said:
It probably is but
not in the way people were leaping at. Still, those physical scars are probably not the abnormality she was referencing. Unless she's really that vain on the whole thing :x
Yeah, I was agreeing about that.
Master Milk said:
He doesn't need to prove anything to me. There's nothing he can prove anyway, because the show hasn't made anything clear. And this is Penguin Drum, don't talk about common sense like it matters.
The show also hasn't made it clear that Ringo isn't the reincarnation of Ringo Starr yet, has it? With the whole Octopus Garden and star motifs her scenes have had going on, I guess there's a possibility...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom