• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ano Hana ep 3 and 4

The episodes made me angry at Yukiatsu though he seems to be suffering just as bad as Jinta, to go to that much of an extreme. That had to be a super embarrassing moment for Yukiatsu, ie running around in the dress in the forest for his Menma, have to feel sorry for the guy.
I hope the anime sees domestic release, I can see watching it again. Jinta, Anaru, and Yukiatsu are my favorite characters.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ezalc said:
This is a great week.

UA5bU.gif

You monster, you best be squidding. I hope you never sea the greatness that is Squid Girl.

icecream

Public Health Threat
firehawk12 said:
Ben-to is the perfect combination of celebrating and satirizing the hyper idealized and fictionalized Asian male machismo. That's why it works, because you can appreciate both ironically and wholeheartedly.
I don't think it satirizes it all that much. While true, the setup itself is a nice satire of the typical shounen setup, the protagonist is not a reflection of either the male machismo type nor the anime-shounen who-is-weak-but-actually-is-strong-because-of-some-ability. He just sort of got up one day and started kicking butt and stealing bento. The other male players are mostly background filler, with the female characters and their usual fanservice taking the light.

That is not to say the show itself isn't enjoyable right now, just that if it turns out to be unsuccessful in utilizing the full extent of its setup, it would be pretty disappointing.

Cwarrior

Chihayafuru ep4

lots of epic slow-mo card steals and faints

Chihaya toying with the hopes of forever friendzone boy, am sure his going to take the bait and drop his girl friend to chase the unattainable bait.

Cwarrior said:
Phi brain 4

lol at that ending didn't expect that

p.o.g giver turned out not to be another sore loser

I liked how he also didnt put them in any real precarious situation. Though maybe he wasnt a traditional Giver since he was just operating under the wish of his deceased master. Nice change nonetheless for the series, was hoping it wouldnt turn into deja vu.

Articalys said:
Just like the previous three matches, this one wasn't even close.

H Final
1st 446 Ruri Gokou @ Ore No Imouto Ga Konna Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai
2nd 301 Houki Shinonono @ Infinite Stratos

And so, your moe elite eight, in no particular order, are:

xHDcl.png

LL95l.png

By the way, Madoka has a message for anyone complaining that half the survivors are all from the same series...

We should get the randomized matchups for the quarterfinals sometime later today. I'll make a new post when that happens.
Wow, who beat Homura?

Ezalc

All those Squidgirl comments are kraken me up.

Chihaya Furu 4
I'm surprised that Chihaya is 15, I thought she was like 17... Now I'm left with a weird Karuta boner. Also, predictable.

scy

icecream said:
I don't think it satirizes it all that much. While true, the setup itself is a nice satire of the typical shounen setup, the protagonist is not a reflection of either the male machismo type nor the anime-shounen who-is-weak-but-actually-is-strong-because-of-some-ability. He just sort of got up one day and started kicking butt and stealing bento. The other male players are mostly background filler, with the female characters and their usual fanservice taking the light.

That is not to say the show itself isn't enjoyable right now, just that if it turns out to be unsuccessful in utilizing the full extent of its setup, it would be pretty disappointing.

I think a lot of us, as the viewers, are projecting some of that extra little oomph into it; I mean, the over-the-top nature it kind of has over the mundane plot device of bentos kind of makes sense on the satire of the shounen setup but I'm not sure how much of everything else about it thus far is truly part of the show or just how we're taking it.

It's still interesting and I'm curious to where it goes but, to be honest, without some of the talk here about Ben-To, I wouldn't have given it much thought nor really taken it as "well" as I am currently.

Cloudy

Banned
So I watched ep 1 of the new Last Exile (sequel?). I can't remember what happened at the end of LE but it was decent. I'll keep watching

firehawk12

Subete no aware
scy said:
I think a lot of us, as the viewers, are projecting some of that extra little oomph into it; I mean, the over-the-top nature it kind of has over the mundane plot device of bentos kind of makes sense on the satire of the shounen setup but I'm not sure how much of everything else about it thus far is truly part of the show or just how we're taking it.

It's still interesting and I'm curious to where it goes but, to be honest, without some of the talk here about Ben-To, I wouldn't have given it much thought nor really taken it as "well" as I am currently.
Hey, I liked it the moment I watched the first episode! The second episode basically took it from hilarious trash to awesome though.

icecream said:

The satire comes from the fact that the stakes are so extremely low as to be meaningless. It's the type of machismo that could have been taken straight out of any of the Yakuza games, but without the ridiculous melodrama of Yakuza ripping their shirts off and fighting CIA agents in order to save Japan from corrupt politicians and police officers.

In a way, it's genius because it lets people revel in this heightened masculinity without the guilt, because by enjoying it, we are actually in some small way, laughing at ourselves.

---

Tamayura hitotose 4: Hey, it's a HanaIro episode... but good!
Basically, this is Nako-chi 2.0, but without the shitty fanservice.
3bHMJl.jpg

So far, the formula seems to be going through each of the girl's backgrounds while providing a touching story about their aspirations. This is really Aria 2.0 in all the right ways.

zeroshiki said:
I like how Unknown has backpedaled from his certainty that Persona will be great to get on the Mirai Nikki train.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm still watching it. I like it just fine but Mirai Nikki is the best show of the season by a wide margin!

Instro

firehawk12 said:
Tamayura hitotose 4: Hey, it's a HanaIro episode... but good!
Basically, this is Nako-chi 2.0, but without the shitty fanservice.
http://i.imgur.com/3bHMJl.jpg[IMG]

So far, the formula seems to be going through each of the girl's backgrounds while providing a touching story about their aspirations. This is really [B]Aria 2.0[/B] in all the right ways.[/QUOTE]
Maon episode? Sweet.

Instro

Ezalc said:
They have the whistling chick. It'll never be Aria 2.0.
Man, you are just saying all kinds of bad things today :(.

Chihayafuru 4

Hopefully they keep adding layers to the game like this, helps make kurata less boring.
Arata is a bitch, fuck that guy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working!! 08: Worst. Onsen. Episode. Ever.
Working!! 09: I'd hit it.
Working!! 10: I wish I had a girl that punched me every time she saw me.
Working!! 11: Takanashi doesn't have a dick confirmed. :mad:
icecream said:
Ben-to would be much more interesting if it was a more focused series, shounen-style. The setup is original enough, but right now they are just wasting with boringly obviously character development interspersed with fanservice.
I missed you.

scy

firehawk12 said:
Hey, I liked it the moment I watched the first episode! The second episode basically took it from hilarious trash to awesome though.

I enjoyed it when I first saw it but I definitely wouldn't have even tried without you guys talking it up (thanks AnimeGAF!). Still, I don't know if it's AS over-the-top satirical as we're looking into it or if the author really went "I love me some cheap food and that shit gets crazy!" and isn't being as silly as we see it.

But then I watch another episode and think that it HAS to be intended like that since nobody would do this seriously. Hell, I'm not even sure how the voice actors can deliver some of these lines as seriously as they do.

In a way, it's genius because it lets people revel in this heightened masculinity without the guilt, because by enjoying it, we are actually in some small way, laughing at ourselves.

But aren't we all laughing at ourselves in some way? It comes full circle.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Monster 71-74 END

This show is so magical girl. Nina is like a (more) traumatized Usagi. Seriously though, the show clearly drew a line between humanity and monstrosity, and had only humanity be the true path to success.

The author is a total hypocrite for making such a big deal about given names vs assumed names then stealing them from the twins at the end.

It was a fun ride overall and offered something I haven't seen in a while, but it definitely could have been done better and I don't think of it quite as highly as some people seem to.

However, I must say this:

RUNGE FUCK YEAH

Basch

My favorites thus far of the season are Guilty Crown, Persona 4, and ... I guess that's it, but I swear I remember liking something else. I suppose UN-GO is okay. Not bad per se, but not near as good as the other two. Last Exile was a pleasant surprise. Didn't like Gundam AGE, but I'll give it another shot. Still haven't watched Mashiroiro Symphony, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, or Ben-To. Oh yeah, and Horizon fucking sucks. It's terribad. I can't imagine people liking that show. : /

EDIT: Knew I forgot one, I'm currently catching up on fate/Stay Night, which is actually really really good. I've enjoyed every minute thus far, and expect fate/zero to do much the same. Can't wait for that one.

Dresden

Mirai Nikki - 3

I think this is a pretty boring show. It just kinds of plods along and the only thing that's really left for me is the promise of Gasai Yuno doing waifu things like kill people and smile manically, but everything in between is just this tired retread of the manga.

Also the OP is really terrible and we all know that's the really important part of any show.

trejo

Tamayura OVAs

All right, moe, moe, moe! Come on in moe lovers! Here at the Tamayura we're slashing moe in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of moe, this is a moe blow out! All right, we got photography moe, clumsy moe, best friend moe, whistling moe, we got camera moe, wind moe, we got old man moe, dad moe, driving moe, dessert moe, cooking moe, we got smelling moe, we got litle brother moe, milf moe, we got grandma moe, we got big sis moe, dancing moe, ocarina moe, we even got cat moe, genki moe, scenery moe, moe no aware! Come on, you want moe, come on in, moe lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it!

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru 4

Man Arata's a tremendous arsehole.
This hasn't lost any of it's charm with the flashback ending.

Birdy the Mighty Decode: Cipher

Fairly forgettable bridge OVA between S1 and S2. At least the fight scene was well animated.
trejo said:
Tamayura OVAs

All right, moe, moe, moe! Come on in moe lovers! Here at the Tamayura we're slashing moe in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of moe, this is a moe blow out! All right, we got photography moe, clumsy moe, best friend moe, whistling moe, we got camera moe, wind moe, we got old man moe, dad moe, driving moe, dessert moe, cooking moe, we got smelling moe, we got litle brother moe, milf moe, we got grandma moe, we got big sis moe, dancing moe, ocarina moe, we even got cat moe, genki moe, scenery moe, moe no aware! Come on, you want moe, come on in, moe lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it!
whistling moe > milf moe > *

scy

Basch said:
Oh yeah, and Horizon fucking sucks. It's terribad. I can't imagine people liking that show. : /

I have shitty taste.

But, seriously, the first three episodes did the series a rather large disservice as it's convolution and talking heads and words words words. Not much happens. To top it off, there's the character design (read: holy shit boobs) that is kind of /facepalm worthy. It's picked up a bit now and it shows to be a competent action series in its own right coupled with some depth to the story, but it's a bit too little too late for most.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
Tamayura OVAs

But but it's classy moe!

Basch

scy said:
I have shitty taste.

But, seriously, the first three episodes did the series a rather large disservice as it's convolution and talking heads and words words words. Not much happens. To top it off, there's the character design (read: holy shit boobs) that is kind of /facepalm worthy. It's picked up a bit now and it shows to be a competent action series in its own right coupled with some depth to the story, but it's a bit too little too late for most.

I'll stick with it, the direction wasn't bad or anything (especially since I actually liked Dragonaut). It was just the script. Hated the writing. And I found the animation to be hideous. Everything just seemed so shallow. But alas, I hate dropping anime even more so I'll tough it out... somehow.

Articalys

Chihayafuru 4

I cheated and read ahead a little in the manga, so I knew what was coming this episode and probably the next one too, though not beyond that.
They can still only dramatize karuta so many ways, though. To me, the soundtrack is the best thing about this show so far, though that could easily change with further plot developments.

Instro

Horizon 4

With all the names and jargon thrown around, I'm still having a difficult time following this show. I'm pretty confused as to why
they decided to blow up the city?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Tamayura OVAs

True!

scy said:
I enjoyed it when I first saw it but I definitely wouldn't have even tried without you guys talking it up (thanks AnimeGAF!). Still, I don't know if it's AS over-the-top satirical as we're looking into it or if the author really went "I love me some cheap food and that shit gets crazy!" and isn't being as silly as we see it.

But then I watch another episode and think that it HAS to be intended like that since nobody would do this seriously. Hell, I'm not even sure how the voice actors can deliver some of these lines as seriously as they do.
Yeah, I think the premise itself has to mean that that the author is self-aware. It's like he wanted to write a badass gangster or samurai manga but the decided to make it insane instead. I mean, it's the self-seriousness of this weird bishodo thing that the show has going for it (WOLF!111!!1!!!!) that takes it to the next level.

But aren't we all laughing at ourselves in some way? It comes full circle.
People usually don't admit it!

Dresden said:
eww

http://i.imgur.com/K7Qynl.jpg[img]

I feel better now.[/quote]
Ahahahahaha.

scy

Instro said:
Horizon 4

With all the names and jargon thrown around, I'm still having a difficult time following this show. I'm pretty confused as to why
they decided to blow up the city?

My understanding of it is that
Motonobu (crazy dude launching the plan) is accepting planning for the loss of Mikawa to take out the Testament Union base located near there (base seems to be located in Nagoya which is basically right next to Mikawa). The Testament Union is the governing body that has shackled them to being below the rest of the world. It's essentially the start of a revolution of them trying to shake off their oppressors, starting with the ones located at home.

firehawk12 said:
People usually don't admit it!

I take great pride in mocking myself, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom