• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Hitokage said:
MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM 14-15

Some of you are haters.

sooo...
penis or no penis?
:p

I actually enjoyed episode 15 for what it was worth. Considering all the hate it got here, I came in expecting be disappointed but I thought it was still done rather well.

Articalys

Tamayura ~hitotose~ 4

This is really a good show. Amusing that just last week I was joking about Yuko Gibu not having much to do and then here comes this episode.
Also nice use of the opening song from the OVA as an insert song.

Jex

Hitokage said:
Monster 71-74 END

This show is so magical girl. Nina is like a (more) traumatized Usagi. Seriously though, the show clearly drew a line between humanity and monstrosity, and had only humanity be the true path to success.

The author is a total hypocrite for making such a big deal about given names vs assumed names then stealing them from the twins at the end.

It was a fun ride overall and offered something I haven't seen in a while, but it definitely could have been done better and I don't think of it quite as highly as some people seem to.

However, I must say this:

RUNGE FUCK YEAH
I assumed you'd have a specific complaint in there, but Runge is awesome.

Dresden

Watched about half of the second episode for Working'!!, which was kinda dull but also very cute and filled with Yamada's radiant presence. Will finish the second half at some point this season.

sleepykyo

Basch said:
My favorites thus far of the season are Guilty Crown, Persona 4, and ... I guess that's it, but I swear I remember liking something else. I suppose UN-GO is okay. Not bad per se, but not near as good as the other two. Last Exile was a pleasant surprise. Didn't like Gundam AGE, but I'll give it another shot. Still haven't watched Mashiroiro Symphony, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, or Ben-To. Oh yeah, and Horizon fucking sucks. It's terribad. I can't imagine people liking that show. : /

EDIT: Knew I forgot one, I'm currently catching up on fate/Stay Night, which is actually really really good. I've enjoyed every minute thus far, and expect fate/zero to do much the same. Can't wait for that one.

I'm currently Mashiroiro Symphony ep2. I'd would suggest skipping. Chihayafuru is worth watching.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
REDLINE - This was a fun watch. I love seeing studios work on crazy new original premises and everything felt well done and in place in this wacky world.

zeroshiki

Hazaro said:
REDLINE - This was a fun watch. I love seeing studios work on crazy new original premises and everything felt well done and in place in this wacky world.

Good thing you enjoyed that because Madhouse is going tits up.

Morris

Disco Devil
Hitokage said:
MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM X UTENA

Momoka is Utena. Yuri is Anthy.

(utena spoilers)
Masako is Jury. She's also a Lesbian, and will probably end up liking MPD Yuri.

Morris

Disco Devil
icarus-daedelus said:
What, just because they have the same hair?

I mean, I thought the same thing, but I figured I was insane or something.

Well, they're identical!

They do have a similar personality, in a way.
Except one is not a lesbian, not yet!

Toriko 28

Damn, Heloboros looks intimidating even when frozen. Wonder if crazy bomber dude will wake him up or something.

Looks like we'll be getting some legit multiple Gourmet Corp fights soon. Awesome. Hope these ones are actually winnable.

Horizon 4 - Things start to happen in this episode, but as always in this show, it's extremely difficult to figure out exactly what, why, how, or all of the details. Some things in this episode I still have no clue about. So yeah, see below for more of my comments on the terrible direction of this episode. It's just awful, and doesn't make much sense.

So yeah, in this episode, the war starts. Apparently
The guy with the robot maid army has decided to declare war on the Testament Union, which means war between this (Japanese) Divine States state and the (European) Testament Union powers who are in control.

I don't understand some things though, like at one point there's this guy, one of the four generals, who vanishes. One of the other ones runs into his mansion, but the robot maid doesn't know where he went, there's writing on the wall, and a symbol, etc... I really have no idea what was going on there, none. Some of the other stuff with those three didn't make too much sense either (some did), but that made the least I think.[/quote]

So anyway, yeah, the plot is afoot, and the army of robot maids are moving to fight off the Testament Union troops. Apparently the guy leading this revolt
that head Divine States general guy
is setting off some reactor in the capital that, if it explodes, will blow up the whole province. But it's okay, the entire population has been replaced with robot maids anyway, there won't be civilian casualties...
... yeah, this is so very anime. Robot maid assassins, yet again.

Also, we see more of that girl from the forest fight scene last episode. She's the leader of the one Divine States military vessel, and is one of the four general's daughter. It seems like she'll be a major character in the future,
and quite likely will end up teaming up with Tori's group. Joining the harem, probably?

Tori and the other students in the school only have a small part this episode. Apparently, they seem to have found an actual ghost. Huh. That giant fountain of fire in the background might be more important though...
It is interesting how we were led to believe that Tori would be important in starting this revolt that's going on, but he wasn't at all. I assume he'll do something important later on though.

Overall, it's an okay episode, and yes, the plot is finally moving. However, it is also still extremely confusing and hard to figure out, and the direction is still awful. So yeah, it's still Horizon.

scy said:
Infodumps in the Middle of Nowhere 4 - I like Futayo. Her and Asama are my standout favorites so far, but I blame my Spear and Bow fascination for that.

As for the episode itself,
looks like we get the answer to that forest scene from Episode 3
. We're also treated to the least amount of infodumping thus far since
the plot is kicking off; the fireworks have begun (The Genesis Plan). By the sound of things, it's a rebellion against the Testament Union. Badass Maid is badass and pieces are in motion.
Yeah, less infodumping, more just moving on without explaining anything that's actually happening. Such great direction there...

Sure, they explain the basics, sometimes, but there are so many relevant details that they don't really that it makes watching the show kind of annoying.

Also, holy shit at the prospect of
Muneshige vs Tadakatsu.
Which ones are they, and why are they fighting? That guy who knew the plan and the other one who didn't maybe fighting? Why would they be though, aren't they on the same side? I think this connects directly to my "that whole part with those three (four) generals was really confusing and I don't get it" part, too.

scy said:
I have shitty taste.

But, seriously, the first three episodes did the series a rather large disservice as it's convolution and talking heads and words words words. Not much happens. To top it off, there's the character design (read: holy shit boobs) that is kind of /facepalm worthy. It's picked up a bit now and it shows to be a competent action series in its own right coupled with some depth to the story, but it's a bit too little too late for most.
Horizon's biggest problem, really, is the terrible direction. The show just makes no sense far too often. It's has a fair number of segments full of information and explanations, sure, but they're poorly handled, and a lot of the time it just doesn't explain things, and you're left watching the episodes multiple times to try to glean the bits of explanation out of it. It just doesn't make much sense or explain itself well at all.

The art design is also somewhat iffy sometimes, yeah. As for the writing... it's tolerably decent, but nothing special at all, and the bad direction doesn't exactly help much.

Now, the complexity of the source material is surely part of the problem, but it's not the whole issue, I think...

Basch said:
I'll stick with it, the direction wasn't bad or anything (especially since I actually liked Dragonaut). It was just the script. Hated the writing. And I found the animation to be hideous. Everything just seemed so shallow. But alas, I hate dropping anime even more so I'll tough it out... somehow.
Watching a show, even though it's bad and you hate it? Now that's the animegaf spirit!

On that note, I haven't dropped Maken-Ki yet.

scy said:
I enjoyed it when I first saw it but I definitely wouldn't have even tried without you guys talking it up (thanks AnimeGAF!). Still, I don't know if it's AS over-the-top satirical as we're looking into it or if the author really went "I love me some cheap food and that shit gets crazy!" and isn't being as silly as we see it.

But then I watch another episode and think that it HAS to be intended like that since nobody would do this seriously. Hell, I'm not even sure how the voice actors can deliver some of these lines as seriously as they do.
What? There's no way it could be serious... it's so utterly outlandish with its concept that it's clearly a joke. I mean, yeah, there probably are people who take sales seriously, but the whole concept is to take that and then cross it with a shonen action harem show, and watch the hilarity. It works well.

firehawk12 said:
Hey, I liked it the moment I watched the first episode! The second episode basically took it from hilarious trash to awesome though.
I don't quite know why everyone says the second episode was such a huge improvement, because it didn't seem THAT different to me... I mean, it was a bit better, but the first episode was fairly good itself, so it's not like it was some huge improvement.

The satire comes from the fact that the stakes are so extremely low as to be meaningless. It's the type of machismo that could have been taken straight out of any of the Yakuza games, but without the ridiculous melodrama of Yakuza ripping their shirts off and fighting CIA agents in order to save Japan from corrupt politicians and police officers.

In a way, it's genius because it lets people revel in this heightened masculinity without the guilt, because by enjoying it, we are actually in some small way, laughing at ourselves.
Yeah, that sounds pretty much right.

icecream said:
I don't think it satirizes it all that much. While true, the setup itself is a nice satire of the typical shounen setup, the protagonist is not a reflection of either the male machismo type nor the anime-shounen who-is-weak-but-actually-is-strong-because-of-some-ability. He just sort of got up one day and started kicking butt and stealing bento. The other male players are mostly background filler, with the female characters and their usual fanservice taking the light.

That is not to say the show itself isn't enjoyable right now, just that if it turns out to be unsuccessful in utilizing the full extent of its setup, it would be pretty disappointing.
Firehawk12 said it already, but you seem to be forgetting the nature of what it is they're fighting over... :)

Geneijin said:
Finally, someone uploaded it. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 4 spoilers.

Can't wait for 5 honestly. Who cares about plot!
Spoilers for the episode that already aired? Huh?

Hela

cosmicblizzard said:
Toriko 28

Damn, Heloboros looks intimidating even when frozen. Wonder if crazy bomber dude will wake him up or something.

Looks like we'll be getting some legit multiple Gourmet Corp fights soon. Awesome. Hope these ones are actually winnable.
Seems like it's going to thaw on its own, which leads me to believe it will interupt the fights at some point.

Urusei Yatsura 3 - This Rei episode was quite funny and I really enjoyed it, also it was nice seeing Lum doing something else other than getting pissed at Ataru or go darling darling.
Urusei Yatsura 4- Really good episode and I had a blast with Kintaro's to live like a man and not to mention how it ended.lol
Urusei Yatsura 5- The twist in the 1st half was unexpected still it was an alright episode, although the reaction to Ataru not drooling over the nurse in the 2nd half was funny.

So I decided to check out some info on this show and found out its from the same person as Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2, although the art is kind of rough but the characters do give off some sense of similarity, Inuyasha was alright but Ranma > Inuyasha. ^^;;

scy

A Black Falcon said:
Horizon 4 - Things start to happen in this episode, but as always in this show, it's extremely difficult to figure out exactly what, why, how, or all of the details. Some things in this episode I still have no clue about. So yeah, see below for more of my comments on the terrible direction of this episode. It's just awful, and doesn't make much sense.

Really? I found this episode to make the most sense of any episode thus far. Everything (sans one event) is rather straight forward so it takes little explanation to get with things. Maybe I glossed over the confusing bits?

I don't understand some things though, like at one point there's this guy, one of the four generals, who vanishes. One of the other ones runs into his mansion, but the robot maid doesn't know where he went, there's writing on the wall, and a symbol, etc... I really have no idea what was going on there, none. Some of the other stuff with those three didn't make too much sense either (some did), but that made the least I think.

He's
spirited away, presumably. Right after he was talking to Sakai about the disappearances he himself then vanishes. We've been shown that symbol before (Masazumi's mother) so that "serial killer" that was brought up before is who takes him (or, Shyamalantwist he is the killer).

Tori and the other students in the school only have a small part this episode. Apparently, they seem to have found an actual ghost. Huh. That giant fountain of fire in the background might be more important though...
It is interesting how we were led to believe that Tori would be important in starting this revolt that's going on, but he wasn't at all. I assume he'll do something important later on though.

Yeah, kind of weird how
little he's done. But I suppose it'll matter for the direction that Musashi itself takes; Motonobu is basically throwing away Mikawa and the Far East themselves by launching this attack. Since Mikawa was the representative of the Far East, this attack vs the World, basically, will at the very least strip that status of them and it'll probably go to Musashi (if only because I only know two locations in all of the Far East :/).

And that ghost is the one thing I don't get at all.

Which ones are they, and why are they fighting? That guy who knew the plan and the other one who didn't maybe fighting? Why would they be though, aren't they on the same side? I think this connects directly to my "that whole part with those three (four) generals was really confusing and I don't get it" part, too.

No,
Tadakatsu is the Spear wielding old man ("Da-chan") that is shown at the end of the episode. He's the only Heavenly King participating in the fight (Ii is missing somewhere, Sakakibara was spirited away, and Sakai isn't part of the Genesis Plan). Muneshige and Gin are the two Tres Espana members (color-coded for your convenience, they're in red). They are essentially bodyguards of the Testament Union; they're reinforcements for the fight and with Tadakatsu standing directly in their way.

Horizon's biggest problem, really, is the terrible direction. The show just makes no sense far too often. It's has a fair number of segments full of information and explanations, sure, but they're poorly handled, and a lot of the time it just doesn't explain things, and you're left watching the episodes multiple times to try to glean the bits of explanation out of it. It just doesn't make much sense or explain itself well at all.

They basically just seem to like to stick explanations whenever they have exposition. If people are talking then its almost always relevant to something sometime somehow. It's kind of getting pretty heavy and thick. I wonder how much novel progress we've made? Hopefully we're a decent amount in just to explain the sheer amount of stuff crammed into us.

What? There's no way it could be serious... it's so utterly outlandish with its concept that it's clearly a joke. I mean, yeah, there probably are people who take sales seriously, but the whole concept is to take that and then cross it with a shonen action harem show, and watch the hilarity. It works well.

It's too absurd to be serious, yeah. But that didn't stop a part of me, after episode 1, that wondered if it was intended to be that absurd of it the author really likes himself some goddamn bentos. The more I watch, the less I can ever possibly think that, though. Very clear it is absurd by design, otherwise this creator has way more awesome happen to him when he buys dinner than I'll ever know in my life.

Still, I'm liking Ben-To as this silly, over-the-top shounen action harem with a ridiculous premise to drive the plot. It works well.

Spoilers for the episode that already aired? Huh?

Think it's about the scene in question being uploaded finally (
Kazuno vs mecha
).

shahkur

I wanna watch Toriko but the first episode is a cross with One Piece IIRC. But I'm only at the Water 7 arc in OP, so will the 1st ep of Toriko actually ruin/spoil OP majorly for me?

Urusei Yatsura 6- What an awesome first half of Lum always trying to get between Shinobu and Ataru, speaking of which I was surprised that Shinobu is actually Ataru's girlfriend. I always thought she was like that special childhood friend or something, but then again they did mention some eps. before like it has been a while since they have been on a date... so I guess they were dating. As for the 2nd half with friday the 13th demon it was alright, some funny moments but can't match the first half.

Urusei Yatsura 7- Another case of good 1st half and alright 2nd half, the ribbon storyline was a tad better than the voodoo story.

faridmon

Steroyd said:
Hunter x Hunter (Old) OVA 2 Greed Island - 07

Dang that is one old loli.

Greed island sounds like a hoot.
I wish I could wipe my memory so I could enjoy HxH again. That shit was just awesome.

Steroyd

shahkur said:
I wanna watch Toriko but the first episode is a cross with One Piece IIRC. But I'm only at the Water 7 arc in OP, so will the 1st ep of Toriko actually ruin/spoil OP majorly for me?

The crossover is unrelated to the whole show, so you can skip it outright if you want, the only thing it would "spoil" is who has joined the crew, of which it doesn't feature them much anyway. Judging by where you say you are in One Piece, you're only two crew members short anyway.

shahkur said:

You dont have to watch the crossover episode. I just started Toriko with the actual true first episode. Its fun.

scy

icarus-daedelus said:
Next you gotta watch Maison Ikkoku. It's probably the best thing Rumiko Takahashi ever touched.

Now that I think about it, despite my love of Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha (between bouts of insanity or drinking), I don't think I ever went back to Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura. I mean, I have vague recollections of it but I'm not really sure if I ever saw them (and/or read them) through.

Mature

icarus-daedelus said:
Next you gotta watch Maison Ikkoku. It's probably the best thing Rumiko Takahashi ever touched.
Agreeing with this. Though I haven't seen the anime, only read the manga.

shahkur said:

Just skip it and go to episode 2 aka Toriko's official first episode.

Jex

SonicX_Zero said:
Urusei Yatsura 6- What an awesome first half of Lum always trying to get between Shinobu and Ataru, speaking of which I was surprised that Shinobu is actually Ataru's girlfriend. I always thought she was like that special childhood friend or something, but then again they did mention some eps. before like it has been a while since they have been on a date... so I guess they were dating[...]
It sounds like you've been infected by bad anime writing. You may need to see a Doctor.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, I've never read either, but I've seen all of Maison Ikkoku and a little bit of Urusei Yatsura.

MI, clocking in at slightly under 100 episodes, just seemed a more manageable prospect. Plus it's pretty great and approachable; I'd recommend it to people wary of old timey animu and/or romantic comedies because it's both of those things done well.
Well, if you want to be like, you can just watch the Oshii supervised Urusei Yatsura (and movies), which are only around 100 episodes. They're the best half of the series anyway.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Good thing you enjoyed that because Madhouse is going tits up.
You know, it it's not necessary to bring that up. It's like the death of Gainax, except I care a lot more about Madhouse.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Indeed. I will have to get around to it someday, anyway, or I can't consider myself a True Fan(tm) of Oshii.

I will probably go through all of the series & movies when I do, though.
I really need to watch his live action stuff. Probably. Maybe.

Him and Kojima should form a club for folks who are great in one industry but really want to work in a different industry (even though that's a terrible idea).

Also in before:
they suck in their current industries

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
I don't quite know why everyone says the second episode was such a huge improvement, because it didn't seem THAT different to me... I mean, it was a bit better, but the first episode was fairly good itself, so it's not like it was some huge improvement.

I think episode 1 set the stage in terms of the show being crazy, but episode 2 brought the intense masculinity and crazy honour code. All the wacky "wolf" stuff, for example.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Indeed. I will have to get around to it someday, anyway, or I can't consider myself a True Fan(tm) of Oshii.

I will probably go through all of the series & movies when I do, though.
Especially because Oshii's involvement Urusei Yatsura and Patlabor quite possibly constitute his best work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom