• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
7Th said:
MknsB.png

ORDET LIED, DUCKROLL LIED
What show is HNNNGH?

jman2050

They wasted their budget on bad adobe premeire effects for their trailer, so they ended up having to use game assets for the BRS character animation instead.

Articalys

Did they really manage to make everybody look worse than their OVA counterparts? Wow.

Guilty Crown 3

Yes, Yahiro being the mole became increasingly clear as the episode progressed, though I didn't expect him to immediately betray his promise the next day. I still remain a fan of the show and look forward to seeing where the cliffhanger leads from this week.
However, I will admit the couple of music tracks with the random English words thrown in here and there are a tad awkward.
Also, that little scene during the ED with Shu repeatedly apologizing to Kanon made me laugh. Hope they throw in things like that for each episode.

Articalys

Apparently there's a Steins;Gate event this weekend at the real life Radio Kaikan building in Akihabara, which, if you recall, is a central location in the story. They even added a model of the fallen satellite that kicks off the game's plot:

XIApD.jpg

Comparison to the same scene in the anime's first episode:

NT1lc.jpg

Also at the event is a live performance from Kanako Itou and a Rai-Net Battle card game tournament, among other things.

(MAL news link)

Natsume's Book of Friends 11

Nyanko-Sensei is the best. He's a cute cat, a grumpy old man, an alcoholic, a wild tomboy teenager, an awe-inspiring youkai, and a NeoGAF mascot - all in one! You can't beat that.

The premise of this series could easily become formulaic, but with episodes like this one do a good job of keeping things varied.

zeroshiki

That's not the real Radio Kaikan though. Its the new one at the end of the street. The real Radio Kaikan is gonna be demolished or something.

jman2050

Black Rock Shooter OVA

This was about three times longer than it needed to be.

At least the fighting was pretty awesome... when they get around to it that is.

Overall, a waste of time :/

Cwarrior

Black lagoon ep8-9

The action just got even more over the top cool, Roberta is the T100 an unstoppable killing machine.
- love the track played for Roberta’s theme

Black Rock shooter

-Complete waste of my youth
-A lot of nothing stretch lasting an hour
-Show switch back and forth between really boring highschool drama of pointless stuff and a boring dumb fight between 2 skinny goth lolis with big guns and swords.
-one of the worst ost I heard in anime in a long time
-
I Am blackrock shooter

I kid you not this is it(major spoiler)

Animu-GAF Hipsters hated the BRS OVA. News at 11.

I really liked the BRS OVA, but if the anime is just going to be a longer version of the OVA, then fuck that. Tell an original story, goddammit!

Persona 4 04

Fuck it, bitches. I'm loving it. I really can't wait for the other main characters to get introduced, though...still, I'm weary with the series length.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working!! 11: This brings back memories. Well, except for the fact that she's a psycho.
Working!! 12: Oh Yamada, you so crazy.

Working!! FIN: As a slice-of-life show, this is pretty sweet. As a romantic comedy, I'm disappointed that the ending didn't go fully into its obvious conclusion. It feels like a cockblock. I guess that's what the sequel is for. 8/10
Trojita said:
Love Plus, I guess?

jman2050

BokuTomo 4

This week, lining up all the haremites (and one guy, though there may be some overlap between the two...)

Started out pretty hohum. The nun needs to die a horrible horrible death. Don't care for the, uh, feminine looking guy.

Then the pervert scientist showed up. Then everything suddenly got awesome.

survivor

Banned
jman2050 said:
BokuTomo 4

This week, lining up all the haremites (and one guy, though there may be some overlap between the two...)

Started out pretty hohum. The nun needs to die a horrible horrible death. Don't care for the, uh, feminine looking guy.

Oh shit Rika showed up? I need to start watching the anime soon. Best girl ever

Instro

jman2050 said:
BokuTomo 4

No kidding, she will definitely a fun character going forward.

trejo

Chihayafuru 4

It takes some real talent to make Karuta look as dynamic as they do and the lovely musics certainly help as well. There is definitely a disconnect though, when every character in the show who witnesses a game being played thinks it's the most amazing and fun thing ever I have to really suspend my disbelief.

Genki Childhaya was awesome but regular Chihaya is even better, imo. Also, you can totally tell Arata is gonna smang that sooner or later.

Dynedom

Call me crazy but I rally like how GC's OP is structure. It's just like a crescendo of intensity. I like it. One of the more memorable OPs this year, heh.

zeroshiki

Dynedom said:
Call me crazy but I rally like how GC's OP is structure. It's just like a crescendo of intensity. I like it. One of the more memorable OPs this year, heh.

I was splooging on Guilty Crown's OP and ED the whole time yesterday. They're really good. The song is awesome too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Un-Good 04: WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NOT GO GET A BUCKET OF WATER OR SOMETHING

Probably the weakest episode so far. I got far more entertainment from Googling "Turing Test" than from the script in this episode. The story doesn't even start until the ten minute mark, and everything before that is an exercise on tediousness. But what would I know about anime writing.

Instro

Guilt Crown 3

Eh. Running around attacking people was kind of kind of funny. MC is still a whiny bitch, hope he fixes that soon. Quite a surprise cliffhanger though,
wasn't expecting the immediate betrayal from his buddy.

Boku Wa 4

Way too much Yozora. Rika's intro was switched up to create more "drama" which was fun. Overall, an enjoyable episode.

I always feel bad for the cosplaying sister because she's constantly ignored.

Natsume's Book of Friends 13

That was a lovely episode, and a good way to end the season by bringing back a lot of the characters we've seen throughout the series. Nothing much happened; it's just the cast hanging out at the festival, having fun and reflecting on the themes this show has explored. In particular, it explored why Natsume is so reluctant to open up about his experiences with youkai, even to those who would be receptive of them. I like the subtle erosion of his shell that has taken place over the course of the show, from his initial steadfast aloofness to now being willing to come out and admit the truth behind his behavior to Tanuma, as well as to himself.

The show this reminds me the most of is Mushi-Shi, in the mysterious and poignant atmospheres they both create. While Natsume isn't quite on that level - focusing on colorful youkai instead of shadowy Mushi limits it in some ways - the approach it takes does allow it to do things that Mushi-Shi does not, such as a great deal of humor (which GAF cat is usually the source of) and extended character development. Definitely a show to remember.

trejo said:
Chihayafuru 4

It takes some real talent to make Karuta look as dynamic as they do and the lovely musics certainly help as well. There is definitely a disconnect though, when every character in the show who witnesses a game being played thinks it's the most amazing and fun thing ever I have to really suspend my disbelief.

One thing I like about Chihayafuru is that it shows the outer world's indifference to karuta - the reactions to Chihaya's passionate interest in it of Chihaya's older sister and her classmates in the first episode, for example. Like with any niche hobby, it's only a small in-group that really gets into it.

Articalys

Boku wa Tomodachi 4

I said I wasn't going to watch any more of this, why am I watching more of this. The cast really is split between innocent people caught up in the craziness (Kodaka, Maria), people with major quirks who are otherwise alright (Rika, Kobato, Yukimura), and genuinely mean-spirited people with just enough sympathetic qualities to make you care (Yozora, Sena).
Dynedom said:
SO EVERYTHING THAT MAKES ME WHOLE
IMA KIMI NI SASAGEYOU
I'M YOURS

So awesome.

Dynedom

Instro said:
Guilt Crown 3

Quite a surprise cliffhanger though,
wasn't expecting the immediate betrayal from his buddy.

Yeah I seriously thought they would let that
stew for a few episodes

trejo

hosannainexcelsis said:
One thing I like about Chihayafuru is that it shows the outer world's indifference to karuta - the reactions to Chihaya's passionate interest in it of Chihaya's older sister and her classmates in the first episode, for example. Like with any niche hobby, it's only a small in-group that really gets into it.
I get that but dude, it's freakin' Karuta. Now if they were Beyblades, on the other hand...

Hitokage said:
icarus hates fun, both for her own sake and for that of others. :(
Yeah but fun is sinful, remember? Icarus is just lookin out for us.

Articalys said:
Boku wa Tomodachi 4

I said I wasn't going to watch any more of this, why am I watching more of this. The cast really is split between innocent people caught up in the craziness (Kodaka, Maria), people with major quirks who are otherwise alright (Rika, Kobato, Yukimura), and genuinely mean-spirited people with just enough sympathetic qualities to make you care (Yozora, Sena).
Sena isn't mean spirited. She'd be a mix between innocent because of always going along with whatever Yozora says and quirky for her game obsession. Yozora completely fails at making me care. She's really mean to everyone, even the people she actually likes. I'm not even sure how you managed to group Sena with Yozora. Yozora is in a class of her own. I don't even think Haruhi haters can say she's on the same level as Yozora.

Guilty Crown 3

Dammit
Yahiro
, already!?

I really love the idea of Voids. Seeing the "shape" of even normal people's hearts has a lot of potential for fights, symbolism and all that jazz. I'm betting Shu will eventually have to pull out his own Void or something and it will have a ridiculous shape that changed after everything he experiences.

That 17 and under rule is bullshit though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
Guilty Crown 3

That 17 and under rule is bullshit though.
Not only is Guilty Crown ripping shit off from Utena, it's also pulling crap out of Evangelion.
Not sure if Eva was the first show to make explicit the under age rule though...

Articalys

Master Milk said:
Sena isn't mean spirited. She'd be a mix between innocent because of always going along with whatever Yozora says and quirky for her game obsession. Yozora completely fails at making me care. She's really mean to everyone, even the people she actually likes. I'm not even sure how you managed to group Sena with Yozora. Yozora is in a class of her own. I don't even think Haruhi haters can say she's on the same level as Yozora.
Duly noted. One is just inadvertently tactless, the other is actively a jerk.

Regulus Tera said:
Not only is Guilty Crown ripping shit off from Utena, it's also pulling crap out of Evangelion.
Not sure if Eva was the first show to make explicit the under age rule though...

Eva was kind of justified with the 2nd Impact business. Whether this one justifies it remains to be seen.

trejo

Un-ko 3

It must be the catchy ED that's making me come back to this cause it sure as hell ain't the mysteries.

Dresden said:
Sure is. But strangely enough I've found the Derpa knockoff art to be kinda charming in its own ugly way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom