• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working Prime Exclamation Mark Exclamation Mark 01: Watching this immediately after the first season is a jarring experience. Everything moves around. Camera angles are a lot more varied as well, and not just "two people standing in front of the camera" like we had in the previous series. There's tons of little things being gleefully animated, from hand gestures, to curious blinks, to strands of hair blowing independently. Bloom aside, it's gorgeous to look at.

Too bad all this animation was used on the most boring Working episode yet. This opener is nothing but a retread of every character in order to, I suppose, bring new viewers up to speed and to remind the old ones of everyone. The downside to that is that there's no underlying theme underneath. Not like the first series was serial-heavy, but there was at least a sense of flow in every episode. This pilot is slice-of-life as fuck, but when dealing with issues like work in a restaurant, life tends to be pretty boring.

tl;dr Bring back the wacky hijinx, dammit.

Dresden

Episode two was less retreads and more Yamada doing Yamada things, which was welcome. I don't think I'll keep watching though.

wonzo

Banned
Yamada makes everything better.

Persona 4 04

I can't get into this at all. Dropped

Guilty Crown 3

why noitamina why. this is even worse than fractale

trejo

This season has a lot more Yamada doing Yamada things per capita than the last one so I, for one, will keep watching.

Guilty Crown 3

They sure are throwing every cliché in the book at this, aren't they? Can't wait for the beach/onsen episode.

I'm having a tough time figuring out wether I like the music in the show or not.

zeroshiki

wonzo said:
Guilty Crown 3

Nothing is worse than Fractale episode 3.

trejo said:
Guilty Crown 3

They sure are throwing every cliché in the book at this, aren't they? Can't wait for the beach/onsen episode.

I'm having a tough time figuring out wether I like the music in the show or not.

The cliche overload was kinda overdone in the ep but I hope that with that out of the way they can focus on better stuff.

The music is awesome. Nothing to be confused about.

Instro

Regulus Tera said:
Its been quite good since the weak first episode. Better than season 1 I think.
Dresden said:
Episode two was less retreads and more Yamada doing Yamada things, which was welcome. I don't think I'll keep watching though.
0qCvA.gif

You should continue with it, 3 & 4 were very funny.

trejo

wonzo said:
Woah there, son. Let's not get too crazy.

Having said that, I thought Fractale episode 7 was really well done. Oh what could have been. :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
Working Prime Exclamation Mark Exclamation Mark 01: Watching this immediately after the first season is a jarring experience. Everything moves around. Camera angles are a lot more varied as well, and not just "two people standing in front of the camera" like we had in the previous series. There's tons of little things being gleefully animated, from hand gestures, to curious blinks, to strands of hair blowing independently. Bloom aside, it's gorgeous to look at.

Too bad all this animation was used on the most boring Working episode yet. This opener is nothing but a retread of every character in order to, I suppose, bring new viewers up to speed and to remind the old ones of everyone. The downside to that is that there's no underlying theme underneath. Not like the first series was serial-heavy, but there was at least a sense of flow in every episode. This pilot is slice-of-life as fuck, but when dealing with issues like work in a restaurant, life tends to be pretty boring.

Stick with it.

Episode 01 was boring. Incredibly boring.

But 2-4 is better than anything in S1 has to offer IMO. Much better.

Jex

trejo said:
Chihayafuru 4

It takes some real talent to make Karuta look as dynamic as they do and the lovely musics certainly help as well. There is definitely a disconnect though, when every character in the show who witnesses a game being played thinks it's the most amazing and fun thing ever I have to really suspend my disbelief.
I still feel that way, a little, but they are Karuta-heads. They're nuts for it, so of course it's exciting from their perspective.

I still wish it was something else, but there you go!

scy

Boku wa Tomodachi 4 - Oh Rika. Oh you. The cast is pretty much assembled now and the antics should continue. I will say that the part of me that is hopeful for Yozora over Sena (based purely off normal harem etiquette of first girl we see wins) is squashed so often; Sena is just so much more interesting normally,
prior history be damned
. More episodes like this will make the decision harder :/
oh god choosing sides

Wonder how far down the harem rabbit hole this goes or if the rest of the cast really just serves as a catalyst of events / silly antics with just the two primary girls to care about for that role. Not sure which would make me happier...

...anyway, I look forward to more of Rika's doujins. And animated Yukimura
makes me question how the hell that could ever be thought of as a guy. Like, seriously. Unless there's some triple layered reverse trap antics going on

Dynedom said:
Call me crazy but I rally like how GC's OP is structure. It's just like a crescendo of intensity. I like it. One of the more memorable OPs this year, heh.

I have a strange fascination with nice OP/EDs. To the point I've watched entire shows just because of it. I thoroughly enjoy [My Dearest]; even if Guilty Crown shits itself at some point, I'd continue it for the OP alone. I'm odd like that. I think most of my import collection is OSTs and singles rather than DVD/bru-rei.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
trejo said:
Or Magic: The Gathering.
I can see it now:

"Draw. Island. Go."
"Tap two fo--"
"Mana leak. Draw, Island, go."
"Tap thre--"
"Dissipate. Draw, Island, go."
"Thrun, and he's fucking uncounterable."
"End of turn, Tribute to Hunger."

Jex

jman2050 said:
Black Rock Shooter OVA

This was about three times longer than it needed to be.

At least the fighting was pretty awesome... when they get around to it that is.

Overall, a waste of time :/
The real problem is it's just boring.
7Th said:
It gets worse. YouTube'd PV. Witness nasty CG in all its "glory".
Owch. I'm so sorry.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working Prime 2: Echoes 02: Now this is more like it. Most of the jokes weren't new, but they were good in the first place. There's definitely a different structure going on; it's less animu and more situation comedy. Paradoxically, I think the show is trying to do too much "cute" in lieu of the comedy, whereas the first series did comedy with cute off-shooting naturally from it. Maybe that's just the result of Poplar-overexposure?

She's still my favourite.

P.S. There's a saddening lack of Inami going around, though it might be understandable considering how central she was to the last arc of the first season. Her situation with Takanashi better be resolved, regardless. :mad:

P.P.S. Yamada is awesome, but she's no Poplar.

P.P.P.S. I hope I wasn't the only one who clapped along with Poplar!

Defuser

Regulus Tera said:
P.S. There's a saddening lack of Inami going around, though it might be understandable considering how central she was to the last arc of the first season. Her situation with Takanashi better be resolved, regardless. :mad:
People actually don't like it because A1 focus around her and Takanashi in S1 while the manga did not. S2 seems to improve by spreading the relations equally.

I like the focus on Inami too :(

iavi

Regulus Tera said:
Working Prime 2: Echoes 02:

P.P.P.S. I hope I wasn't the only one who clapped along with Poplar!

You like poplar and think the lack of Inami is saddening...damn... That's like everything that I thought was wrong with the series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Imouto > Yamada > Katana girl > Girl who never talks > Poplar > Inami > Everyone else.
infinitenine > unknown soldier > cosmicblizzard > icarus > icecream > darkside > drinky crow > trejo

Miri said:
You like poplar and think the lack of Inami is saddening...damn... That's like everything that I thought was wrong with the series.
infinitenine > unknown soldier > cosmicblizzard > icarus > icecream > darkside > drinky crow > trejo > miri

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Defuser said:
People actually don't like it because A1 focus around her and Takanashi in S1 while the manga did not. S2 seems to improve by spreading the relations equally.
Pretty sure Working'!! is just spinning its wheels rather than building anything of the relationships in the show. Unless you're the kind of person who thinks Poplar getting her hair mussed up again and Yamada being obnoxious, overbearing, and asking to be adopted every week progresses the characters in some meaningful way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Inami gets enough focus time and
she stops punching 15 times an episode too!

It's Poplar who loses the most time on screen thus far. Which is a good thing.

Inami > Yamada > Katana Girl > Nice Long Legs In Dat Skirt > Tall Imouto > Slutty Imouto > Business Imouto > NEET Imouto > Poplar

YEAH I SAID IT.

I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Working'!! episode 1? As a newcomer to the series, I thought it did a good job of introducing the characters and how they interact with each other, as well as getting me to like them all. I also liked the "day in the life" format - sometimes it's nice to see people just go about and live their lives. I was actually a little disappointed the series didn't continue in that format, since it's not something I've seen a lot of.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:
I guess I'm the only one who actually liked Working'!! episode 1? As a newcomer to the series, I thought it did a good job of introducing the characters and how they interact with each other, as well as getting me to like them all. I also liked the "day in the life" format - sometimes it's nice to see people just go about and live their lives. I was actually a little disappointed the series didn't continue in that format, since it's not something I've seen a lot of.

Not at all. I enjoyed quite a bit, myself. Though, the series really hasn't shifted from the format introduced in ep 1 of this second season? Not that I've noticed anyway.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hosannainexcelsis said:

Honestly it felt like an introduction episode more than anything.

If you went from S1 into S2's first episode it really was jarring. Everything feels completely different, it's essentially a completely different show.

trejo

darkside31337 said:

Inami > Yamada > Katana Girl > Nice Long Legs In Dat Skirt > Tall Imouto > Slutty Imouto > Business Imouto > NEET Imouto > Poplar

YEAH I SAID IT.
Slutty, Business and NEET aren't imoutos, though.

Instro

hosannainexcelsis said:
Well yes, that's why you would have liked it. However if you've already seen S1 then its not very interesting. Not particularly bad, since as a intro episode it does its job very well, but it was a bit annoying.

I don't think the format has changed significantly btw, what makes you say that?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkside31337 said:

YEAH I SAID IT.
Takanashi should be way lower on the list. Dude is awful.

Miri said:
Not at all. I enjoyed quite a bit, myself. Though, the series really hasn't shifted from the format introduced in ep 1 of this second season? Not that I've noticed anyway.

The first episode established the tone for the season, but later episodes have moved away from the precise chronological structure of following one day from beginning to end at Wagnaria as the various employees bump into each other. Not that I mind, since later episodes have been well structured in their own way, I just was expecting something a little different from the first episode and partially the second episode.

Instro said:
Well yes, that's why you would have liked it. However if you've already seen S1 then its not very interesting. Not particularly bad, since as a intro episode it does its job very well, but it was a bit annoying.

Perhaps. I'm just glad I don't have to bother with watching S1.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Fluttershy > *

No need for lists.
I'm okay with this, but Pinkie Pie is a close second.
darkside31337 said:
Nice Long Legs In Dat Skirt
She eats like a fucking whale; she would be humongous were it not for animu's unwritten rule to not draw any main female characters fat.

Jex

trejo said:
What a hipster thing to say. Besides, don't you like K-on?
You realise things can be done well and things can be done badly, right? You could say Code Geass and Guilty Crown take some similar elements but one really isn't as good as the other.

zeroshiki

The man hater is the worst part of Working and actually made me drop the show.

I mean, the restaurant would have been sued multiple times if this was at all realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom