• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

firehawk12 said:
Did I mention that writing is more important than direction yet?

It's just hard to take such a statement seriously when it comes from someone that makes animal sacrifices to a Terrence Malick altar every day. And, seriously, why would anyone actually argue with joke posts? Let's reserve righteous rage to people that honestly compare cinematography to "the font in printed literature".

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cajunator said:
I acknowledged that men do cry, just not as often as women do.
Anyway, I don't want to dwell on this, because it's kind of a boring subject.
Yeah, you can go back to getting emotional over cute or moe characters.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:
my NFL team lost to a fucking winless team. Bloody hell. Although it isn't the first time that happened and wont be the last.

Sadly I had a feeling we were gonna lose to the Rams after the way we pounded the Colts last week. It just felt like a total trap game. :(

zeroshiki

7Th said:
It's just hard to take such a statement seriously when it comes from someone that makes animal sacrifices to a Terrence Malick altar every day. And, seriously, why would anyone actually argue with joke posts? Let's reserve righteous rage to people that honestly compare cinematography to "the font in printed literature".

Yes because that is completely within context and was serious.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
7Th said:
Not sure if serious?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Yes because that is completely within context and was serious.
*imouto hug*

scy said:
Only on Tuesdays.
cajunator said:
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you sooooo saaadddddd?
I'm so confused that I could cry, but I'm not allowed to.

Regulus Tera said:
Nothing gets me off like the lamentations of NTRés.
That's how it works!

cajunator

Banned
Hitokage said:
Yeah, you can go back to getting emotional over cute or moe characters.

I don't get very emotional over them. More like "holy shit that's cute and Im gonna buy that series". When I type "HNNG" it is more just saying "yeah I like that. Its really cute".
I suppose the context in which I post can be misinterpeted.

Aoi Bungaku 5-6 "In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms In Full Bloom"

This is... weird. Many of the directing choices feel off. Why are there goofy SD comedy sections that feel ripped out of another show? Why the headphones and cell phones suddenly thrown into an otherwise non-anachronistic historical period? Why the musical numbers? Why the
talking boar
? I understand that it's going for a surreal atmosphere, but I don't think it's consistently successful at executing that. The grotesque imagery is a bit overdone as well, but what can you expect from the director of Death Note?

Still, it's an interesting story. Subverting the traditional image of cherry blossoms by using them as a symbol for madness and violence (and by extension the madness and violence of cultivated Japanese society) is an interesting choice and in spots effectively presented. Certainly a better adaptation of Ando Sakaguchi than UN-GO. I suppose all his writings are about the corruption inherent in Japanese society. I do hope all of the stories in Aoi Bungaku won't be as cynical as these first two are.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cajunator said:
I'm really perplexed as to why PMMM is so popular. what's so special about it or the characters in it? I enjoyed the series, but it's not like those were the most likeable characters last season.
What was your old avatar again?

scy said:
The overwhelming desire for half-priced bento fuels his abilities; this is not a mere test of physical prowess but a measure of the very depths of ambition and the strength of his desires.

Plus, training montages would've totally broken the flow~!

Seriously though, yeah it was kind of weird that the day he steels his resolve is the same day he apparently becomes a brawling pro. I think I'm fine with it, though; I mean, a stupid and silly explanation wouldn't have sufficed and potentially done more harm than good and a series of training scenes (and/or episodes) would've served to stymie the pacing. It's not ideal but, hey, it saves us from being told that Virtua Fighter 2 trained him in combat and lets them focus on "training" being about the world of the fighting for bentos rather than a lesson on how to fight at all.
They'll probably touch on this later but here are some minor spoilers I read from the light novels.
His dad is in the military and trained him from an early age in CQC. In the first episode we saw a glimpse when the MC was talking about his life and he said he almost got blown up at his dad's workplace.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Working'!! 05:

Great stuff as usual. An episode mainly devoted to Kyoko and her endeavors as the great gluttonous pig. She might be a glutton but she is not one to
to steal sweets from a child.

The series is totally going to end with Takanashi landing himself in prison, with the rest of the cast working their way into the prison to break him out of it, wrapped up with Inami breaking down walls as the two reunite and finally confess their true feelings to one another.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dat foreshadowing.

Ben-to's writing leagues beyond Fate/Zero's, confirmed.

Reknoc

Mirai Nikki - 4

The first half was pretty good thanks to Yuno constantly crazy eyeing Yukki. The second half was even better with Yuno going crazy mode and another bananas character being introduced.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lafiel said:
But it is already stupid.
I can get behind the protagonist being irritating, but I don't see how the show is any more stupid than anime in general.

sonicmj1

Ben-to 4

I don't like this episode as much as some of the others, and it makes me slightly concerned for the future. Still an overall positive, though.

My main issue is that Shaga's introduction really upped the explicit "ecchi" factor of the show, and that's not really what I'm there for. Some aspects of it were amusing, but some were more than I want out of my action-harem-comedy.

Oshiroi's story and the action sequences more than make up for it, though.

On a related note, I love what they're doing with the episode previews, and I wish more shows did them as obviously fourth-wall-breaking as this does, just as I wish that more shows had characters sing along with the OP like in Working!!.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:
You are a Saints fan?
We are like nakama!

(=´∀`)人(´∀`=)

I should post in NFL-GAF more often, but sadly I usually watch the games with my old man, who likes to wait a half an hour and catch up via DVR so we can skip the commercials. If I go there during the game I'm guaranteed to spoil the score. ;_;

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Steroyd said:
I think that's where Madoka's appeal comes from, she watches all the other girls get the shit trolled out of them before her eyes, while being the catalyst to Kyubei being the magnificent bastard that he is.

I can't help but feel Mami will take this so she can hold her head up high in victory.
the "appeal" is that her name is in the title of one of the best selling anime.

The real stars of the show are Homura and Sayaka.

Dresden

Hellsing321 said:
They'll probably touch on this later but here are some minor spoilers I read from the light novels.
His dad is in the military and trained him from an early age in CQC. In the first episode we saw a glimpse when the MC was talking about his life and he said he almost got blown up at his dad's workplace.
:bow

Ben-to

:bow

Steroyd

cajunator said:
It changed my life.
If I delve more into the world of moe I may starve to death for fear of eating something cute.

The more I read your posts, the more convinced I am that you're Takanashi from working.

Reknoc

Pie Brain's Music - 5

Not as good as it has been.

For a series about puzzles and geniuses it sure is dumb! But in a good way, gotta love drama that revolves around puzzles, we even got a look at Kaito's TRAGIC PAST!
it involves puzzles

Gammon is the best character.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Aoi Bungaku 5-6 "In the Woods Beneath the Cherry Blossoms In Full Bloom"...
I do hope all of the stories in Aoi Bungaku won't be as cynical as these first two are.
Perhaps that just says something about famous Japanese literature?

Reknoc said:
Pie Brain's Music - 5

Not as good as it has been.

For a series about puzzles and geniuses it sure is dumb! But in a good way, gotta love drama that revolves around puzzles, we even got a look at Kaito's TRAGIC PAST!
it involves puzzles

Gammon is the best character.

I often find him annoying since he consistently takes away the solving of the puzzles from Kaito. :(

Reknoc

Man what's with Guilty Crowns music, it keeps sounding like it wants to break out into full on Deep Forest, but it never does and I get disappointed.

Dedication Through Light said:
I often find him annoying since he consistently takes away the solving of the puzzles from Kaito. :(

Kaito's never going to do it because
he acts like puzzles killed his family... oh wait lol!

Also Gammon is bursting with charisma.

cajunator said:
It changed my life.
If I delve more into the world of moe I may starve to death for fear of eating something cute.

so do you know "Twilight of the Cockroaches"?

a old half-anime/half-real movie about cockroaches in Tokyo?

TwilightCockroachesVHSFront.jpg

You can call it the japanese version of Watership Down, not very moeish but it was very mind fucking back in the 90s for me.

---

And no one watched Squid Girl here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom