• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirai Nikki 4

GEE THAT IS A TOUGH DECISION LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A-

Articalys said:
1st 710 Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 612 Squid Girl @ Squid Girl
Oh Saimoe. See, this is why sniping the best PMMM character in the first round of the elims was a bad idea.

Yep, I'm still bitter.

cajunator

Banned
Things dont have to be small and cute. Things just have to be cute.
Some cars are cute to me. Some buildings are cute to me. The shape of the Island of Papua New guinea is cute to me.

Look at it. It's like a derpy dinosaur. D'awwwwww
new_guinea.gif

Jexhius said:
Perhaps that just says something about famous Japanese literature?

I didn't think the Japanese were as depressed as Russians, but then I know very little about Japanese literature.

cajunator said:
Some cars are cute to me. Some buildings are cute to me. The shape of the Island of Papua New guinea is cute to me.

Are you sure you're not posting from a mental institution?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
cajunator said:

new_guinea.gif
nmh_moe.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's kind of cheating when you fill all that extra space with clothes/hair.

/moenocle

Jex

Idolm@ster 17

You know, back when Makoto was called Ryuunosuke in Urusei Yatsura I was pretty much done with this exact character-type. I mean, there's nothing wrong with this episode, and it's made to high-standards I expect from this title but eh, I can't say that it's very interesting.

The whole scenario was also a little creepy, in a way that the show kind of jokes off.

cajunator

Banned
Halycon said:
It's kind of cheating when you fill all that extra space with clothes/hair.

/moenocle
I kind of agree. You can take any land shape and turn it moe if you cheat with the hair and clothing. It's not that I am against turning landmasses into moe characters or anything.

Usagi Drop 2.5(BD special)

I remember doing that as a kid. Charming to see it is cross generational and cultural.

Squid girl 05

A glorious return of delicious squid-related puns. My week feels complete now.

Jex

thetrin said:
I'm enjoying the show, but I haven't watched an anime in a few years. It's rife with tropes, but if I didn't want stupid action anime tropes, I wouldn't watch anime!
Well, there are a variety of better shows that one can consume, if one wishes to track them down.
GaimeGuy said:
The way she pronounces 'destiny' cracks me up every single time.

Jex

Lafiel said:
But it is already stupid.
I don't even know if that has to be pointed out.
Articalys said:
Usagi Drop 2.5
Like everyone else said, pretty much just an espresso shot of moe and adorable. Not that that's a bad thing.
Also, I missed the main BGM theme for this series so much.
There's nothing wrong with mainlining adorable things.

Jex

cajunator said:
I'm really perplexed as to why PMMM is so popular. what's so special about it or the characters in it? I enjoyed the series, but it's not like those were the most likeable characters last season.
You're asking why something that perfectly ticked the right set of nerdboxes was a success?
Dresden said:
It turns out that a popularity contest is a popularity contest.
I guess you finished that one off.

Steroyd

Hana Yori Dango 10 - 14

This has to be the most dramatic shoujo I've ever seen, and I'm not even a quarter of the way there.

There's always something happening, there's always monologuing, there's always still eye shots and shocked faces, there's always dramatic music being played in the background to the point that I randomly burst out laughing at how much the show is overplaying the this is a dramatic moment. And it doesn't look like it's going to hit the brakes. Ever.

Surprisingly considering the english title to this is Boys Over Flowers, there's a surprisngly lack of bishie flower shots in this, they're there but relatively rare.

UberTag

Steroyd said:
Hana Yori Dango 10 - 14

This has to be the most dramatic shoujo I've ever seen, and I'm not even a quarter of the way there.
Have you watched Marmalade Boy? Cliffhanger angst at the end of every single episode... almost always with the exact same "shit is going down" music.

HYD is certainly right up there in that department.

cajunator said:
I still can't believe that they made a moe cockroach manga. I mean, actually I CAN believe it, but I can't BELIEVE IT. You know what I'm saying?

cute things are cute?

cajunator said:
I kind of agree. You can take any land shape and turn it moe if you cheat with the hair and clothing. It's not that I am against turning landmasses into moe characters or anything.

so, no falkland moe for you?

edit:

uhhh, that's not falkland! wrong, picture (green island @taiwan)!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's not even a moe island anymore.

That is stuffing a girl into an oddly shaped n-gon.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
What boxes did that show tick that other shows did not?

Mami jokes.
Kyubei trollface.
Genre troll.
Cute girls, doing... falling into despair and getting trolled harder every episode.

It's really the wrong type of question to ask anyway, it's like trying to dissect K-On's success.
Jman bat signal activated.

Jex

cajunator said:
What boxes did that show tick that other shows did not?
The ones with SHAFT, magical girls and being all 'dark' about stuff. Plus hooks and twists, with a dark sidekick mascot. Wrap that up with some well known names and you're done.

Jex

Halycon said:
That's not even a moe island anymore.

That is stuffing a girl into an oddly shaped n-gon.
The whole world is falling about, islands aren't even girls anymore. What the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom