• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
hosannainexcelsis said:
So you claim Ben-To's not crazy enough, and then you complain about the characters "upping their actions" - which one do you want? The way you talk, I'd think you were talking about C3, which is a show whose harem side is completely uninspired and bland and which is only "good" (not legitimately, but entertaining at least) when it's in crazy action mode. Ben-To's much better than that.
C3 isn't good in any way. Certainly Ben-To's better than that show... But anyway, my criticism was about upping their actions in bad ways, like Shiraume in ep. 4. There's obviously a difference there between that and the craziness of, say, the battle scenes, I shouldn't need to explain that I think...

I don't want to waste too much breath arguing about this show, because at the end of the day it's dumb and disposable. No one's going to remember it a year from now. It's just a show that's surprisingly enjoyable and fresh, much more than I would have expected from the first episode (which "setup" does not excuse BTW). In a relatively weak season (though thankfully there are a couple better shows), that's good enough to watch.
No one's going to remember it? People say that kind of thing sometimes, but it's not always true, no... sure, it's not exactly great, but the concept is memorable enough that some people are going to remember it I think. And yeah, at first at least it definitely was surprisingly entertaining. We'll see how the rest of the show is though.

sonicmj1 said:
Ben-to 4

I don't like this episode as much as some of the others, and it makes me slightly concerned for the future. Still an overall positive, though.

My main issue is that Shaga's introduction really upped the explicit "ecchi" factor of the show, and that's not really what I'm there for. Some aspects of it were amusing, but some were more than I want out of my action-harem-comedy.

Oshiroi's story and the action sequences more than make up for it, though.

On a related note, I love what they're doing with the episode previews, and I wish more shows did them as obviously fourth-wall-breaking as this does, just as I wish that more shows had characters sing along with the OP like in Working!!.
That's true, Shaga adds in a substantial upping of the ecchi factor, I can see how that would annoy some people I gues.s.. though this is anime, and harem anime at that, so you should have expected it sometime. But yeah, I didn't like things like how she treated Oshiroi, for sure. (On that note, Oshiroi's great, yeah.)

scy said:
I just like her the most out of the rather bland female cast thus far. Which, at the end of the day, isn't saying much since Yarizui is bland as hell outside of the fourth wall break previews, Oshiroi I find uninteresting overall, and Shiraume is pretty much there for zettai ryouiki and abuse.
Yeah, the female cast is okay, but could be better. Yarizui and Oshiroi are my favorites of them, though, not just because of the reasons I dislike the others, but because they are decent characters too, for this genre anyway.

Hopefully it's just a breather episode for introducing Shaga and not a sign of things to come; I was fine with the episode but it, as a whole, isn't what I'd want for the rest of the show either.
Well it's good to see you somewhat agree, then.

Sure why not. I've been on a harem/romcom bender with my manga reads, might as well watch some more while I'm at it.
It's fairly generic stuff, but amusing if you like the genre. It's an H-game adaptation, so expect more sexual humor than Ben-to has (though no actual sex of course).

The overwhelming desire for half-priced bento fuels his abilities; this is not a mere test of physical prowess but a measure of the very depths of ambition and the strength of his desires.

Plus, training montages would've totally broken the flow~!
Hah... yeah, sure, that's as good an explanation as any... :)

Seriously though, yeah it was kind of weird that the day he steels his resolve is the same day he apparently becomes a brawling pro. I think I'm fine with it, though; I mean, a stupid and silly explanation wouldn't have sufficed and potentially done more harm than good and a series of training scenes (and/or episodes) would've served to stymie the pacing. It's not ideal but, hey, it saves us from being told that Virtua Fighter 2 trained him in combat and lets them focus on "training" being about the world of the fighting for bentos rather than a lesson on how to fight at all.
It sort of works, but they shuld have explained SOMETHING about why he's so good. I mean, Oshiroi hasn't become a fighter too just because she wants bentos.

Hellsing321 said:
They'll probably touch on this later but here are some minor spoilers I read from the light novels.
His dad is in the military and trained him from an early age in CQC. In the first episode we saw a glimpse when the MC was talking about his life and he said he almost got blown up at his dad's workplace.
Huh, really? Well, that would indeed explain it. They should have said something about that by now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steins;GAF 02: Presenting:

RAT64l.jpg

darkside and 7th, conspirationist extraordinaires.

SE1Y9l.jpg

icecream, he of dubious dubious gender.

LNK0Il.jpg

cosmicblizzard, local tsundere and sex symbol.

Ihx3gl.jpg

Regulus Tera, inexorable fetishist and all-around weirdo.

ivJeal.jpg

infinitenine, cosplay masutaa.

IzMAIl.jpg

duckroll, a fragile flower with a cold demeanour.

Together, they fight crime.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol @ Japan's DVD/Blu-ray uncensored bonuses. You can see Subaru's underwear on his butt in the DVD/Blu-ray.

Solune

A Black Falcon said:
C3 isn't good in any way. Certainly Ben-To's better than that show... But anyway, my criticism was about upping their actions in bad ways, like Shiraume in ep. 4. There's obviously a difference there between that and the craziness of, say, the battle scenes, I shouldn't need to explain that I think...
Actually not that I'm defending C3 in anyway, the soundtrack is actually really good. Far better than the show deserves for sure.

scy

Shakugan no Shana Final 4 - Well ... damn.
Yuji breaks Margery's reason to live, beats Shana half to death while talking about all he's done to protect her now, and emotionally breaks Yoshida. All in all, a good day of fucking with lesser beings.

Guilty Crown 3 - I honestly expected this episode to be so much worse. Sure, the premise of
Inori going to school and living with him
is a bit meh but it wasn't so bad. The showcasing of Voids was nice and then
datBetrayal

Aoi Bungaku 9-10 "Run, Melos!"

Not only was this as well directed as the "No Longer Human" arc, but it also had a touching story I really liked. The animation did a great job of playing up the exaggerated theatrical gestures of the characters, and the cuts and interaction between Melos' story and the playwrights' were clever. (I especially enjoyed
when Melos was having his fight with the bandits on top of the playwright's table, interspersed with the dramatic movements of the pen has the fevered writing turns it into a sword itself.
) The ending made me cry. Certainly my favorite arc.

mAcOdIn

Hellsing321 said:
They'll probably touch on this later but here are some minor spoilers I read from the light novels.
His dad is in the military and trained him from an early age in CQC. In the first episode we saw a glimpse when the MC was talking about his life and he said he almost got blown up at his dad's workplace.
Then why does he and his body forget about simple things like momentum? Ah, whatever.
A Black Falcon said:
And also, the way she treats Oshiroi isn't nice either... that's not something that's going to make me like her more as a character, even if it is amusing to watch.
I don't get this, why does something you dislike amuse you? If I dislike something then watching someone do it isn't amusing, I can't really imagine a situation where I'm against a behavior but watching someone else does it fills me up with enjoyment. Do you mean you actually like this behavior but are against it because someone else told you you must be against it?
A Black Falcon said:
Hah, so we agree! That's somewhat uncommon, but not unwelcome... :)
Happens sometimes.
A Black Falcon said:
I assume that they're first cousins, that's usually what's meant with the word I think, but it is true they don't say... the point though is that they're close relatives, and no, close cousins don't marry "all the time". Not in this, or the last, century, anyway.
Well, I don't know if I should go here but, what the hell! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage So 1 in 10, eh? Maybe we can disagree on the definition of "all the time" or perhaps we can move around where the century started? I dunno, I mean, I hate to say I told you so but, well, I told you so. This might not be something people talk about but the US(well some States within the US as some actually allow it) is the only western country that actually bans first-cousins from marrying and for reference Japan allows it. I'm not saying this is my cup of tea here as I don't want to marry any of my cousins nor do I understand where this element of titillation is supposed to come from by having a work include it, however, I think it's only right and mature to not pretend that this is something that exists so far on the fringe that it is fantastic, fictional, illegal when in reality it is something that's happening every single day. 1 out of 10 marriages brah.
A Black Falcon said:
That's true, he just ... became good at fighting, with no explanation or training. We aren't told that he had previously done martial arts or something as far as I can remember, she doesn't train him, he just magically is good at it without ever needing to practice or train, or something. It is odd, when you think about it... and given the increased harem direction of the show, it's not something they seem likely to answer anytime soon, unfortunately. Yeah, I'm worried about the direction the show is heading in, somewhat.
Well I guess we have a spoiler above as for why although I think they why is stupid.

scy

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, the female cast is okay, but could be better. Yarizui and Oshiroi are my favorites of them, though, not just because of the reasons I dislike the others, but because they are decent characters too, for this genre anyway.

Yarizui is just not the archetype I like; the stoic type isn't my favorite, honestly. Oshiroi is alright but Rika (Haganai) wins the season for me on fujoshi types. Shiraume I just like the design of ... but she's still rather bland as a character
unless the yuri and femdom get taken to extremes, I guess
. Shaga at least has energy behind her.

Still, different strokes different folks, y'know?

Well it's good to see you somewhat agree, then.

Yeah; Ben-To is definitely far better served by being the show the premise speaks of. The harem-y stuff is cute at times for a breather but it is by no means a strength. I just like the
wistful look and general sadness of Shaga's love for the protagonist; it tugs at my cold, dead heart

It's fairly generic stuff, but amusing if you like the genre. It's an H-game adaptation, so expect more sexual humor than Ben-to has (though no actual sex of course).

Kind of figured it would be an H-Game adaptation. Man, I think it's been awhile since I last watched an H-Game adaptation...

It sort of works, but they shuld have explained SOMETHING about why he's so good. I mean, Oshiroi hasn't become a fighter too just because she wants bentos.

She lacks the drive and desire; she wants the food but doesn't burn brightly inside to obtain it herself!

mAcOdIn said:
I'm not saying this is my cup of tea here as I don't want to marry any of my cousins nor do I understand where this element of titillation is supposed to come from by having a work include it, however...

I don't really mind (w)incest routes generally speaking but, yeah, it always seems kind of weird when they get tossed in for no reason. I mean, she's not a direct relative (i.e., sister living with him) so what exactly was stopping it from just ... being a childhood friend? Seems a little arbitrary and I guess just there to appeal to a certain crowd ... or ... something.

zeroshiki

Instro said:
Phi Brain 5

How much more dramatic can puzzles get?
His parents getting killed by a puzzle was hilarious

Re:spoiler (I haven't seen past the opening moments of ep1)

wth?
Did a giant rubik's cube fall on them or something?

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Aoi Bungaku 9-10 "Run, Melos!"

Not only was this as well directed as the "No Longer Human" arc, but it also had a touching story I really liked. The animation did a great job of playing up the exaggerated theatrical gestures of the characters, and the cuts and interaction between Melos' story and the playwrights' were clever. (I especially enjoyed
when Melos was having his fight with the bandits on top of the playwright's table, interspersed with the dramatic movements of the pen has the fevered writing turns it into a sword itself.
) The ending made me cry. Certainly my favorite arc.
Exactly! It's probably my favourite arc. I mean, I respect the No Longer Human arc and I think it's well made, but it's hard to like.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kimi Boku 5: So many love triangles in such a short amount of time. I suppose it's time to head into Honey and Clover territory now.

iavi

A Black Falcon said:
That's true, Shaga adds in a substantial upping of the ecchi factor, I can see how that would annoy some people I gues.s.. though this is anime, and harem anime at that, so you should have expected it sometime.

To be fair, previous eps had the ability to make it seem as if the show was going to be a surface level harem at best. Saying, 'It's an anime, you should have expected the silly anime shit' is just kind of sad. Not your saying it, but the fact that it's totally fucking true. I didn't like ep 4 of Ben-To, wolves, I admit.

Jex

Cwarrior said:
Fate Zero ep5

Cg monstrosity(beserker) is distracting and if it wasn’t for the characters explaining everything then I wouldn’t be able to make out what’s going on(black mist on black armor, black weapon with some red not a good idea), it's a shame since the 2d animation is so great.
They worked pretty hard to make the CG less egregious by having it covered in layers of effects which did a pretty reasonable job of disguising it. It was clearly CG, but if you have to use it this one way to go about it.

Jakoavain

I'm LTTP on Steins;Gate but man: that show blows my mind. I'm currently through episode 13 and ..

The reveal that Suzuha is John Titor was genius. Of course, it was plainly shown that she wasn't from 2010, but there were a few red herrings that I picked up. Remember when she said she'd meet up with her father? I thought he was John Titor. Also, when she talked about his father calling himself Barrel Titor - I instantly thought that was a world line shift that had happened. But Suzuha herself being John Titor? Genius.

Jex

Miri said:
To be fair, previous eps had the ability to make it seem as if the show was going to be a surface level harem at best. Saying, 'It's an anime, you should have expected the silly anime shit' is just kind of sad. Not your saying it, but the fact that it's totally fucking true. I didn't like ep 4 of Ben-To, wolves, I admit.
Oh, I think I said that. Sorry.

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
Remember, we did win. There's no need for the tears, brother.
The losses were heavy and it dragged for a while but we did win.
zeroshiki said:
I thought it was a complete HanaIro victory when even your captain jumped ship after episode 8?
There's defectors in every war.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Can you hear Secret Base playing in your head?

... I do now.

mAcOdIn said:
The losses were heavy and it dragged for a while but we did win.

That's the spirit!

zeroshiki said:
I thought it was a complete HanaIro victory when even your captain jumped ship after episode 8?

And who was this? Regardless, if they'd willingly toss themselves to the sharks, they were unfit to lead the ship in the first place. It was only a matter of time.

trejo said:
Well eff that.

And wait, when did team AnoHana win anything? What's this revisionist history bullcrap?
By giving up before the war was over they achieved the moral high ground. Or something like that.

mAcOdIn

trejo said:
Well eff that.

And wait, when did team AnoHana win anything? What's this revisionist history bullcrap?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or more precisely, well I don't have a yen key but you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom