• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
AnoHana saved noitaminA long enough for Guilty Crown and BRS to kill it next season!
From what I've seen of Guilty Crown it's doing its best to finish it before BRS arrives on the scene.

trejo

Fat Zero 5

Rider continues being a goddamned badass. Berserker looks super dumb and Gilgamesh is kind of an annoying little prick with an overinflated ego.

Jex

trejo said:
Well eff that.

And wait, when did team AnoHana win anything? What's this revisionist history bullcrap?
Never.

Okay, so it one in Sales terms, but who cares about that?

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
HanaIro vol.4 is the top selling anime Blu-Ray (2nd overall) for the week according to Oricon! There's hope yet.

That's last week's update. The sales chart for last week's sales isn't out yet. It's definitely a fight between Anohana Vol5 and Tiger and Bunny Vol6 for the top spot, both of which are likely 2x the HanaIro Vol4 #. That's how it's been every month.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
How many Fractales?

No clue, but its 2nd behind Thor in 1st and ahead of Yuru Yuri in 3rd, Red Riding Hood in 4th and Gantz Perfect Answer in 5th.

duckroll said:
That's last week's update. The sales chart for last week's sales isn't out yet. It's definitely a fight between Anohana Vol5 and Tiger and Bunny Vol6 for the top spot, both of which are likely 2x the HanaIro Vol4 #. That's how it's been every month.

Thanks a lot parade rainer.

Jex

duckroll said:
Typical first week sales for a Hanairo BD volume = ~7k

Typical first week sales for a T&B and Anohana BD volume = ~20k
So bad shows sell better huh? I guess sales isn't a mark of quality!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
Typical first week sales for a Hanairo BD volume = ~7k

Typical first week sales for a T&B and Anohana BD volume = ~20k
Anohana sold more than Sin and Punishment 2?
yeah I know, different industries

There's no justice in the world.

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
Are you gonna tell me there is no Santa Claus either? ;_;

There was, but his sledge crashed into a Boeing 747 one day and he died.

Hanairo Vol1 DVD+BD sales = 11k
Hanairo Vol2 DVD+BD sales = 10k
Hanairo Vol3 DVD+BD sales = 9k
Hanairo Vol4 DVD+BD sales = 7.5k (new release)

Anohana Vol1 DVD+BD sales = 45k
Anohana Vol2 DVD+BD sales = 30k
Anohana Vol3 DVD+BD sales = 29k
Anohana Vol4 DVD+BD sales = 27k

wonzo

Banned
duckroll said:

SHncs.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
There was, but his sledge crashed into a Boeing 747 one day and he died.

No matter the outcome, Okada wins and we lose.

duckroll

Tiger & Bunny DVD+BD sales are interesting:
Vol1 - 26k
Vol2 - 35k
Vol3 - 30k
Vol4 - 28k

With Vol1, they undershipped and the BD LE was severely underprinted, which limited the full potential of the sales (it has really low initial sales compared to the later volumes, but eventually reprints of the regular edition incremented sales accordingly). Vol2 sold much, better, but since then sales seem to be slowly normalizing to the 30k region.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
duckroll said:
Tiger & Bunny DVD+BD sales are interesting:
Vol1 - 26k
Vol2 - 35k
Vol3 - 30k
Vol4 - 28k

With Vol1, they undershipped and the BD LE was severely underprinted, which limited the full potential of the sales (it has really low initial sales compared to the later volumes, but eventually reprints of the regular edition incremented sales accordingly). Vol2 sold much, better, but since then sales seem to be slowly normalizing to the 30k region.
I would guess the later volumes sales have a lot to do with the quality of the show dropping off a cliff.

Jex

Dance In My Blood said:
I would guess the later volumes sales have a lot to do with the quality of the show dropping off a cliff.
I don't think so. All shows have a sales decline over time. The bromance is even stronger in the second half and we all know that's the important thing.

duckroll

Dance In My Blood said:

I don't think quality has much real impact on people who are willing to pay 70-80 dollars for 2-3 episodes of anime to begin with. The best selling volume of TV anime on DVD of all time is Gundam SEED Destiny Vol13. The final volume of a show which completely and utterly fell off the cliff. It is not only the best selling volume of the series, but it sold 95k in total.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
I don't think quality has much real impact on people who are willing to pay 70-80 dollars for 2-3 episodes of anime to begin with. The best selling volume of TV anime on DVD of all time is Gundam SEED Destiny Vol13. The final volume of a show which completely and utterly fell off the cliff. It is not only the best selling volume of the series, but it sold 95k in total.
I have no reaction image appropriate enough.

DiGiKerot

Dance In My Blood said:

That has less of an effect in Japan that you'd think - you really don't want to know how well Gundam SEED Destiny sold.

More likely, I think it's just people coming to the realisation that Bandai really aren't going to print more than 25-30k copies of the LE BDs for each volume, so those who missed the earlier disks probably just gave up rather than pay the over-inflated auction prices for the LE disks. The real anomaly with T&B is that the RE BDs charted at all - no one usually buys that stuff.

That, and it's the BDs rather than the DVDs that are charting significantly for a show that largely seems to have a fujoshi audience.

Jex

duckroll said:
That about wraps things up, I feel.

duckroll

This is why Gundam SEED Destiny is considered the most successful Gundam series of all time:

These are all total DVD sales units, there are no BD releases for Gundam SEED Destiny... yet

Vol1 - 80k
Vol2 - 73k
Vol3 - 69k
Vol4 - 68k
Vol5 - 65k
Vol6 - 66k
Vol7 - 60k
Vol8 - 62k
Vol9 - 64k
Vol10 - 61k
Vol11 - 67k
Vol12 - 64k
Vol13 - 95k

Special Edition 1 - 50k
Special Edition 2 - 51k
Special Edition 3 - 52k
Special Edition 4 - 66k

Stargazer - 60k

Fandisc Supernova er - 29k
Fandisc Supernova ist - 23k

Eat your heart out Madoka/Bakemono.

Pachael

duckroll said:

That might depend on whether Oricon considers the iM@S BD 1s in the iM@S2 PS3 Special Editions as sales or not. *checks in the other forum*

Of course, there is also no new meguca this month to sell so at least that's out of the way. (Vol6 was Sep)

EDIT: So we're expecting a BD Box of Gundam Seed Destiny soon, I hope.

duckroll

Pachael said:
That might depend on whether Oricon considers the iM@S BD 1s in the iM@S2 PS3 Special Editions as sales or not. *checks in the other forum*

Of course, there is also no new meguca this month to sell so at least that's out of the way. (Vol6 was Sep)

Game sales are not tracked as BD video sales.

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
If you only watch the Special Editions, Destiny actually starts to make a teeny tiny bit of sense.

I don't think Destiny's problem is that it doesn't make sense. It's a pretty logical show. It's also very, very bad. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
This is why Gundam SEED Destiny is considered the most successful Gundam series of all time:

These are all total DVD sales units, there are no BD releases for Gundam SEED Destiny... yet

Vol1 - 80k
Vol2 - 73k
Vol3 - 69k
Vol4 - 68k
Vol5 - 65k
Vol6 - 66k
Vol7 - 60k
Vol8 - 62k
Vol9 - 64k
Vol10 - 61k
Vol11 - 67k
Vol12 - 64k
Vol13 - 95k

Special Edition 1 - 50k
Special Edition 2 - 51k
Special Edition 3 - 52k
Special Edition 4 - 66k

Stargazer - 60k

Fandisc Supernova er - 29k
Fandisc Supernova ist - 23k

Eat your heart out Madoka/Bakemono.

xRO8Nl.jpg

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
I don't think Destiny's problem is that it doesn't make sense. It's a pretty logical show. It's also very, very bad. :p

I actually cheered when Kira first showed up. I was, like, "Wow nice cameo. I hope we get to see some more of him in the next episodes" -_- Oh how nice to be young and naive.

duckroll

Well, if you guys want some GOOD news... Gundam Unicorn is pretty much the most successful anime OVA release ever.

Blu-ray sales:
Vol1 - 111k
Vol2 - 112k
Vol3 - 110k

DVD sales:
Vol1 - 69k
Vol2 - 61k
Vol3 - 62k

That puts it at over 500k units sold for just the first half of the series.

iavi

Unicorn selling gangbusters is just fine, as long as it somehow means: more work for Hiroyuki. The show really isn't half-bad either.

Articalys

In other news, ISML finally resumed after their stupid month-long break, but rather than the boring actual elimination results with old characters I thought you'd all be more interested in these exhibition matches:

wjGKW.png

I just finished K-ON Season 2, episode 26 (Graduation Yearbook photo).
It that the last episode? Are there any extras (OVAs or movies) that I'm missing?

Last few episodes were touching.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HAKASE!!!!

bigmit3737 said:
I just finished K-ON Season 2, episode 26 (Graduation Yearbook photo).
It that the last episode? Are there any extras (OVAs or movies) that I'm missing?

Last few episodes were touching.
There is one OVA that sets up the movie coming in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom