• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

zeroshiki said:
Guilty Crown - 04

Alright, back to awesomeness after the cliche-ridden previous episode. I see where the friend storyline is going and I don't like it but this episode at least gave some more world background and some really nice action. Inori <3

GUILTY CROWN THURSDAYS BABY

kirk-mccoy-nod.gif

Marrshu said:
I reeeealllly can't wait for the soundtrack to Guilty Crown. Episode 4 had some awesome music.

Oh shit, what?! It's the same composer as Gundam UC?

Seems like the composer for the Guilty Crown soundtrack is having a blast with it, soundtrack rivals the epicness of the animation.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Making nuns bento won't make you many friends 05:

Battle of the Harem Imoutos. Fight! This episode is one reference after another, everything from Romancing Saga to Ore Imo. Kobato is not pleased at her brother's lack of devotion to her, talking about and making lunch for the nun Maria. Obviously the little sister wants her brother; this is a harem show after all, we're talking 100% commitment here. Maria now refers to Kodaka as "Onii-chan" (100% commitment).

Enjoyable episode, but too much Imouto and not enough friend-schemes. Hopefully next episode will improve.

Aoi Bungaku 11-12 "Spider's Thread/Hell Screen"

The series finishes with two short story adaptations, both of which have had their setting changed to a colorful city ruled by a corrupt monarch. Thus a strong theme about the evils of society runs through these, linking them with earlier arcs. The big highlight is some very striking stylized visuals in the hell sequence of the first story and the fire sequence of the second. The storytelling is a little too obsessed with violence - the first story in particular devotes too much time to establishing what a bad, bad guy Kandata is through his continual brutality. Still, these are enjoyable episodes and a good way to close out an uneven but creative show. The highs - "Run, Melos" and to a lesser extent "No Longer Human" - are very high indeed.

duckroll

So the Black Rock Shooter TV staff... hmmm... I'm curious and disappointed at the same time about various factors.

- I'm not a huge fan of Imaishi as a director, but I do think he's good at getting certain types of animation on screen.

- He's not really that good with directing CG, although P&S was really good because of the art style. The stuff in Gurren and the Layton movie are just ugly.

- Yoshigaki's character designs really look much, much worse compared to Matsuo's designs in the OVA. But he's also a good animator so maybe the trailer just isn't showing the interesting parts of the result... I hope anyway.

- In the end the trailer is what it is. It shows off what the show looks like, and from that I don't feel that it looks as good as the OVA I loved. But I'm still relatively hopeful that it'll be enjoyable because of the characters and setting.

Instro

Tamayura 5
So much scenery. Fuu's mom being a biker chick cracked me up.

Mirai Nikki 4
The cg is almost as terrifying as the show.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Watch Fairy Tale dubbed.
But make sure to keep sharp objects away, you might want to stab your ears.

THEY PUT ON A FUCKIN SKIT WITH COSPLAYERS AT NYCC USING THE DUB VOICES! And the speaker was right in my fuckin ear! Stuff of nightmares :(

Ani*Kuri15

This compact set of 15 1-minute shorts perfectly illustrates the wide variety you get with compilations. You have downright ugly Gonzo CG (Yasufumi Soejima). You have directors who didn't know how to condense their ideas down to 1 minute (Shoji Kawamori, Tobira Oda/Yasuyuki Shimizu). You have completely baffling segments (Mamoru Oshii - what a surprise). And then you have the moments of brilliance. Satoshi Kon's "Good Morning", an examination of the slow process of waking up, Makoto Shinkai's "A Gathering of Cats", an amusing and charming tale of a cat and his tail, and Mahiro Maeda's "The Hidden Princess", a balls-to-the-wall action sequence about a warrior princess and her transforming doll, are the big standouts.

duckroll

hosannainexcelsis said:
Ani*Kuri15

This compact set of 15 1-minute shorts perfectly illustrates the wide variety you get with compilations. You have downright ugly Gonzo CG (Yasufumi Soejima). You have directors who didn't know how to condense their ideas down to 1 minute (Shoji Kawamori, Tobira Oda/Yasuyuki Shimizu). You have completely baffling segments (Mamoru Oshii - what a surprise). And then you have the moments of brilliance. Satoshi Kon's "Good Morning", an examination of the slow process of waking up, Makoto Shinkai's "A Gathering of Cats", an amusing and charming tale of a cat and his tail, and Mahiro Maeda's "The Hidden Princess", a balls-to-the-wall action sequence about a warrior princess and her transforming doll, are the big standouts.

Ctrl+F "akemi"

No results? WTF.

duckroll said:
Ctrl+F "akemi"

No results? WTF.

Akemi Hayashi's segment should have been right up my alley with the emotional tone it was going for, but I wasn't feeling it. I suppose it was trying to show the pain of isolation, but the scenes with their different characters felt disconnected from each other and failed to make an impact, despite the song. Sorry.

Steroyd

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Watch Fairy Tale dubbed.
But make sure to keep sharp objects away, you might want to stab your ears.

One never knows true horror till they watch that DBZ movie dub... I still wake up at night screaming thinking about it.

zeroshiki

Re: Hana Yori Dango
firehawk12 said:
It makes me wonder how the Taiwanese version dragged it out then. Hah.

You don't want to know. To go down that path is to know true pain. (I think the anime ended after an important event but the manga continued afterwards)

The Taiwanese 2nd season is one of the biggest bullshit cash grabs I have ever seen. They made up their own story and extended it soooooooo long (28 episodes or something) that it just became really annoying by the end.

duckroll

Un-Go Ep4

Wow, the show is actually getting more interesting than I expected. I enjoyed this episode, even though there were some REALLY WEIRD AND RANDOM scenes. I think part of the UnGo experience is just to go "wut" every 5 minutes when something random and strange just happens. The actual story seems to be developing now, and judging from the preview, it's going to be less episodic than I thought, with a continuing underlying storyline from now on.

BONES redeemed? Maybe not. But at least it's getting fun!

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
Un-Go Ep4

Wow, the show is actually getting more interesting than I expected. I enjoyed this episode, even though there were some REALLY WEIRD AND RANDOM scenes. I think part of the UnGo experience is just to go "wut" every 5 minutes when something random and strange just happens. The actual story seems to be developing now, and judging from the preview, it's going to be less episodic than I thought, with a continuing underlying storyline from now on.

BONES redeemed? Maybe not. But at least it's getting fun!

Did you enjoy the
lesbian orgy
? I wasn't really watching and had it on in the background but that definitely caught my attention.

Steroyd

zeroshiki said:
Re: Hana Yori Dango

You don't want to know. To go down that path is to know true pain. (I think the anime ended after an important event but the manga continued afterwards)

I started reading the manga, the anime skipped some parts, and went in it's own direction somewhat, 3/4 of the way in.

The Taiwanese 2nd season is one of the biggest bullshit cash grabs I have ever seen. They made up their own story and extended it soooooooo long (28 episodes or something) that it just became really annoying by the end.

O_O

zeroshiki said:
Did you enjoy the
lesbian orgy
? I wasn't really watching and had it on in the background but that definitely caught my attention.

Wait what!?

Edit: Hang on, I R dumb, forgot about that part.

zeroshiki

Steroyd said:
I started reading the manga, the anime skipped some parts, and went in it's own direction somewhat, 3/4 of the way in.

O_O

If you must know,
Domyouji and Tsukushi go on a trip to Spain, Domyouji loses his memory, falls in love with a girl there who conveniently knows Chinese, goes back to Taiwan, gets found by F4 and Tsukushi and relation dorama ensues complete with the re-fall in love cliche

Steroyd

zeroshiki said:
If you must know,
Domyouji and Tsukushi go on a trip to Spain, Domyouji loses his memory, falls in love with a girl there who conveniently knows Chinese, goes back to Taiwan, gets found by F4 and Tsukushi and relation dorama ensues complete with the re-fall in love cliche

That sounds amazingly rage worthy.

Jarmel

Banned
duckroll said:
It seems Kyoto Animation's next project will be announced shortly. It will probably be in this month's anime magazines so news should start appearing either by this weekend or early next week. A hint for the genre is "mi". Does this mean mystery? Or maybe... military? Is a new FMP on the verge of being unveiled?!

Don't. Just don't. It's hard enough as is.

Articalys

Un-Go 4

Yay continuity, or something. At least this explains
the presence of Kazamori's human form in the opening and ending sequences

trejo

Un-Go 4

This episode threw some curveballs at me, that's for sure. Honestly, that whole scene with the
little stuffed doll pleasuring Shinjurou
kinda sold me on the whole thing right then and there. Too bad after that it returned to its usual antics, wherein the detective waxes philosophical for way too long and without really saying anything of substance.

This is a weird show.

Reknoc

trejo said:
Un-Go 4

wherein the detective waxes philosophical for way too long and without really saying anything of substance.

This is a weird show.

I don't think it was quite so bad this episode as it has been in 1 and 2. Maybe I just stopped paying attention to it or maybe it seemed a bit better because it wasn't as one sided. Certainly not as bad as the breaking and searching stuff in 2.

trejo

Reknoc said:
I don't think it was quite so bad this episode as it has been in 1 and 2. Maybe I just stopped paying attention to it or maybe it seemed a bit better because it wasn't as one sided. Certainly not as bad as the breaking and searching stuff in 2.
No, it was still pretty bad. It still feels nothing like an actual dialogue that's taking place but rather him just rambling at people.

duckroll

Idolmsater Ep18

Good episode. Nice character development, interesting scenario. Nothing much else to say about it. Idolmaster isn't really a show where there's much to discuss, but it's pretty enjoyable for the premise and characters.

Penguin Drum Ep17

The calm before the storm. The final bastion of normalcy at the edge of the apocalypse. The gears are turning. The players are all on the stage. The curtain on the second act is about to fall. Next week - everything ends.

Articalys

Mawaru Penguindrum 17

JWogx.jpg

This is now my default response for all Pendrum episodes.
I don't think any other show this year has had me in so much suspense.

Mashiro-Iro Symphony 1 - This show is stupid and bad, and I will probably not be watching it any more. Of course, it's not a kind of show I watch much, so that's not surprising -- it's a harem romance anime, with not many of the comedy, Key drama or action elements that are in most of the harem shows I like more. Sure, it is possible for such shows to be good, but this isn't one of them. The characters are kind of annoying, the personalizations are sexist (his sister's pretty pathetic in some ways, or even worse that teacher... what... she turns into a quivering lump at the sight of boys?), it's got quasi-incest (they aren't blood related, but their parents married ten years ago, and she likes him now of course), the other characters are extremely generic too... oh, and of course, it's set in a just integrated girls' high school. I've seen this plot before, and it wasn't good the previous times either. So yeah, this was pretty bad in a lot of ways, and just getting through this one episode without dropping it partway was a struggle. Not good, not good at all. This would go in the bottom category in my list.

Majikoi 5 - Eh, this episode was kind of mediocre. Sure, it was somewhat amusing, if generic, but I have some issues with this kind of episode, and as I said, it was pretty generic stuff. This episode focuses on the rich girl who wears traditional Japanese clothes all the time, so she's basically a Japanese ojousama type. She's in the rival class, and last showed up in ep. 1, when the MC
released a video to the teams of him spanking her (while she was clothed). It greatly hurt her side's morale
. Naturally, as a result of that she's mad at the MC. Because this is harem anime though, of course by the end she'll like him anyway (that's too predictable to be a spoiler, I think.)... though I looked it up in the original H-game, this girl doesn't have a route in the game. She likes him here, anyway, though, and might have more screen time than the MC does this episode.

So, she plans her revenge first by trying to figure out what would get him angry. She thinks of doing something to Momoyo, but yeah, that's not an option. :p (she won't admit it's because she's intimidated, though, of course... oh no... :)) She then tries challenging the MC to a duel, but he ignores her and just walks away (he was trying to convince a friend to get him some adult magazines or something, because the blue haired girl (as always, teaming up with the robot) pasted her photo over all the heads on the pictures in all of his). Then she follows him, trying to get him to challenge her.

Now, the other plotline this episode was about how one girl gave him a lunch that morning, so then everyone else in the group (the other four girls, and both of the guys in the Kazama Family too) gave him food too, so he's got this giant mountain of food for lunch. He seems to like that they've all given him the stuff or something, because he's not complaining. So, this ties into the other plot because while trying to annoy the MC, the girl accidentally knocks over the food onto the ground. This makes the MC mad, particularly when he sees that the partially eaten sandwich Momoyo had put in the food pile hit the ground... when that happened he pretty much loses it and challenges her right immediately.

So, for the challenge (which is a while later apparently), she's changed into a priestess-style costume. Here we learn that she's actually quite a good fighter.
In fact, she's far better than he is; he can't even land a hit, while she throws him back and forth again and again. Apparently all she does is throw attacks or something. (How did she actually lose in ep. 1, again? I imagine he didn't beat her, he never could have. Must have been one of the others.) He gets up every time, though, which starts freaking her out more and more as it continues -- she says stuff like "just give up already" and "why do you keep getting up", but even though he's clearly hurt, somehow he has the strength to keep going because he knows he's right. I mean, can't let people spill MY food pile given to me by my harem (and guy friends), no way! ... Yeah, this is what I mean when I said that it's stupid and generic stuff. That kind of overdone machismo isn't something I like. Anyway, eventually, after this goes on for a while, she says sorry for knocking over the food, and he promptly collapses, leaving her the victor.

Then, it's revealed that
he'd worn padded body armor for the match, under his clothes, which partially explains how he managed to stay on his feet for so long. It was still kind of stupid though
. The end, pretty much. Overall, it was an alright episode, but nothing great, and as I said I disliked some of the themes, and it was quite generic too. It was an okay episode, but nothing special. At least the female character, if stereotypical, was amusing enough to mostly carry the episode...

-Minsc- said:
Last Exile

All I can say is Let it Be.
It's annoying though.

Ezalc said:
This new Last Exile keeps mentioning sky pirates which just reminds me of my want for a new Skies of Arcadia game. A want that may never be fulfilled. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I know, it is kind of cruel, I agree. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom