• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Jexhius said:
The fellow was asking for extra funny, not zero funny.

Σ(゚д゚lll)B-but I found it extremely funny! Not AzuDaioh funny but still pretty damn funny! (T ^ T)

Zenith said:
Need another anime series to chew through after Darker than Black (boy, were people right about season 2). Something similar to it and Parasite Eve 2 in premise of slick secret Gov unit shooting up paranormal/sci-fi shit in the present day would be good.

Alternatively is there a K-on/Azumanga Daioh clone but with more funny out there?
But K-on is barely funny at all (something some people defend by saying it's not a comedy), while Azumanga is one of the funniest comedy animes ever... odd pair there.

Dresden

Persona 4 - 5

zzzzzzzzz

NzRIH.gif

zzzzzzzzz

Also I think they burned through two social links this episode. I don't think I missed much by skipping ep.4.

Branduil

Zenith said:
Need another anime series to chew through after Darker than Black (boy, were people right about season 2).
We warned you bro. We warned you about season 2.
Something similar to it and Parasite Eve 2 in premise of slick secret Gov unit shooting up paranormal/sci-fi shit in the present day would be good.

Alternatively is there a K-on/Azumanga Daioh clone but with more funny out there?
Well they're not really like K-on/Azumanga but if you want comedy try The Tatami Galaxy and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru.

Steroyd

Penguin Drum - 17

Shit just got real.

Bokutomo - 05

2nrzn6r.jpg

14y21a8.jpg

Oniisama e - 01

Did... did I just accidently watch Utena?

Perfect show to come into after Hana Yori Dango dat melodrama over throwing an umbrella, had me lol'ing. I seem to have developd a thirst for the overly dramatic now. :|

Persona 4 - 05

I'll have you know it took me a bloody long time to develop that stupid moon social link, with the manager.

Jex

Dresden said:
Persona 4 - 5

http://i.imgur.com/NzRIH.gif

Also I think they burned through two social links this episode. I don't think I missed much by skipping ep.4.
Interesting failure there from a direction standpoint. Clearly the director wanted to make that brief piece of slapping more 'exciting' by cutting quickly between the two characters. However, with a physical action like a slap they should really be concerned with creating weighty movements that the audience feels. It should have some real noticeable impact.

While hardly the perfect example, at least their motions have weight and you can see some consequences from their hits. Hanasaku Iroha had a pretty great example of this early on. Using a different technique, Oniisama e... has quite a number of slaps throughout the show but rather then animating them they make them weighty they use stills so that it lingers.

Like this:

Risette

A Good Citizen
A Black Falcon said:
But K-on is barely funny at all (something some people defend by saying it's not a comedy), while Azumanga is one of the funniest comedy animes ever... odd pair there.
It's not a comedy. How is that "defending" it? It's like if someone was expecting action from it and made angry posts about their disappointment and I told them it wasn't an action anime.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Interesting failure there from a direction standpoint. Clearly the director wanted to make that brief piece of slapping more 'exciting' by cutting quickly between the two characters. However, with a physical action like a slap they should really be concerned with creating weighty movements that the audience feels. It should have some real noticeable impact.

Like this:
tomino.gif
Feels more like they're dodging the slaps to me.

Branduil said:
I'd buy 20.

Wait...
there's a character whose name is actually "Misaka Worst"?

Yep. IIRC she is from another batch of Misaka clones who are physically older than the original and i think their Esper level is higher than the first clones too.

that must suck having so many clones of yourself out there...

cajunator

Banned
Zenith said:
Need another anime series to chew through after Darker than Black (boy, were people right about season 2). Something similar to it and Parasite Eve 2 in premise of slick secret Gov unit shooting up paranormal/sci-fi shit in the present day would be good.

Pani Poni Dash

cajunator said:
Pani Poni Dash
That's a good suggestion, unless he's seen it. Excel Saga is also an obvious must watch. For more recent stuff, definitely try Nichijou. It seems to be a love or hate thing, but people who liked it (like me) found it really funny.

Jex

[Penguin Drum 17]

There’s already plenty of discussion about the plot events in this week’s episode, which is to be expected. I don’t think that I have anything to add to that discussion beyond comments that I’ve already made in passing. In short, I believe that the show is clearly going somewhere specific and that character motivations are not just being crafted ‘on the fly’.

Strangely, I still have no clue about how I’d go about explaining this show to another human being without actually reciting specific elements in detail. I mean, what genre is it? What kind of tone does it have? What kind of audience is it suitable for? Most of the traditional labels, crude as they are, seem ill fitting. I suppose it’s a lot like Revolutionary Girl Utena in that particular aspect. You don’t really know what you’re getting, and even when you’ve got it you have no idea what it is. This helps to make it feel a bit special, even though the quality has been inconsistent.

This episode, for example, is not nearly as exciting or enchanting as last weeks outing. Which is fine, because this week was definitely about building up tension for an upcoming…something. I suppose you could claim that ‘nothing happened’ in this episode, but that would be short-changing a successful build-up of tension. I think there’s been times in this shows narrative when we’ve just ‘arrived’ at a point, so I’m happy to see them taking the time to set it up before hand.

As for the direction, 7th and Duckroll have already pointed out that it’s nothing spectacular, but it’s certainly serviceable and therefore far superior to certain other episodes. Still, it’s worth talking about a handful of images.

penguin17yuritab.jpg

As you can see, this shot isn’t particularly subtle. Not only are these two characters extremely distant from each other in the frame, s
uggesting a great distance between these two characters who are supposedly a very happy couple. Not only is there distance between them, there’s a wall set up between them, suggesting that they are on two different sides of some agenda. It’s certainly not surprising that in this scene we see Tabuki apparently lie directly to Yuri, masking his intentions.

That shot is especially interesting when you compare it to this one (spoilers): http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/penguin17sunkids.jpg
The positions of Yuri and Tabuki are repeated here, with the distance between them only being bridged by Momoka herself. This suggests that she’s the one who links them together, rather than mutual feelings of interest or love. Also note how warm and pleasant the colours are in this flashback shot. Their time with Momoka as children was clearly an enjoyable, special time. When we look at the dark, cold colours of their home we see that to some extent this warmth has been taken from their lives.

Finally I just want to highlight this shot:

penguin17sunset.jpg

Only because it looks really nice, like something out of a Patlabor movie.

Branduil said:
Wait...
there's a character whose name is actually "Misaka Worst"?

Like IJ said, they're another batch of Misaka clones. Unlike the sisters and Last Order, they are apparently psychotic bitches and villainous.

You can find out more information at the Misaka Worst page on the Index Wikia!

Branduil

Jexhius said:
[Penguin Drum 17]
The positions of Yuri and Tabuki are repeated here, with the distance between them only being bridged by Momoka herself. This suggests that she’s the one who links them together, rather than mutual feelings of interest or love. Also note how warm and pleasant the colours are in this flashback shot. Their time with Momoka as children was clearly an enjoyable, special time. When we look at the dark, cold colours of their home we see that to some extent this warmth has been taken from their lives.
Well they even spell it out explicitly for the people too dumb to get it with the
curtains comment.

cajunator

Banned
To be fair, I found cockroaches to be cute before I heard of gokicha-chan
I don't see what's so scary/disgusting about them. They don't really hurt anything. I hate ants a lot more. They actually bite/sting.

Zenith

Banned
Branduil said:
We warned you bro. We warned you about season 2.

But I just couldn't believe you after how good the post season 1 mini-series was! S2 reeked of destruction by committee. Every bad anime trope was in there, they jacked it up to full on paedophilia and random nudity, they even gave that stupid girl a transformation sequence ffs like it was Power Rangers. And less said about random transexual dad the better.

The only good bit in the entire season was the airport segment after Li gets his normal haircut and dark reaper appearance on.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
To be fair, I found cockroaches to be cute before I heard of gokicha-chan
I don't see what's so scary/disgusting about them. They don't really hurt anything. I hate ants a lot more. They actually bite/sting.

Cockroaches cute? Anything in the form of the insect all get the same treatment.

KILL-IT.gif

Jex

Branduil said:
Well they even spell it out explicitly for the people too dumb to get it with the
curtains comment.
Yeah, but I imagine people missed that too. Which is fine!
Zenith said:
But I just couldn't believe you after how good the post season 1 mini-series was! S2 reeked of destruction by committee. Every bad anime trope was in there, they jacked it up to full on paedophilia and random nudity, they even gave that stupid girl a transformation sequence ffs like it was Power Rangers. And less said about random transexual dad the better.

The only good bit in the entire season was the airport segment after Li gets his normal haircut and dark reaper appearance on.
I guess the action sequences in the OVA are watch able, but you might as well just see them on youtube or something.

Articalys

Finally, superior title for the main match:

I refuse to be out-Saimoed. It's pretty much the only gimmick I have left on this board, anyway.

Also, did they really put Yuka Iguchi's character in Index's outfit in Hanagai? That's pretty funny.

Jex

I have a question regarding these Saimoe contenders. What makes them interesting, from a character perspective? I mean,
Mami dies and doesn't really get a ton of screentime, so why is she so popular? Headless moe?
It just seems rather odd.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I have a question regarding these Saimoe contenders. What makes them interesting, from a character perspective? I mean,
Mami dies and doesn't really get a ton of screentime, so why is she so popular? Headless moe?
Death=increased popularity?

Plus her life sucks in general and she goes crazy in episode 10 and starts murdering people.

Jexhius said:
With Mami, I think it's all the fan art potential
with Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom