• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
Meh, I just found it funny how what you wrote could be interpreted another way.
Lesbianism > Cannibalism
Those two things aren't exclusive.
darkside31337 said:
Of course Mr. K-On fan would now go on to support the worst possible Yuri pairing from the series. You can just pull the knife out from my back already.
It's not even possible in the series timeline, and when we do see them together, Mami murders Kyouko. Foreshadowing?

Jex

GaimeGuy said:
MPD 17
i'm confused about tabuki...

early on in the episode i got the impression he didn't hold what himari, shoma, and kanba's parents against himari, shoma, and kanba? And now he's going to off Himari?
I think have to consider that characters might
not always tell the truth? I mean, why should you accept what they say at face value?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jexhius said:
I think have to consider that characters might
not always tell the truth? I mean, why should you accept what they say at face value?
MPD spoilers and stuff:
It's hard to imagine Ringo not knowing about Tabuki's darker side though given the near constant surveillance.

Branduil

Dance In My Blood said:
MPD spoilers and stuff:
It's hard to imagine Ringo not knowing about Tabuki's darker side though given the near constant surveillance.
You're assuming he didn't know about it.

Jex

[MPD Spoilers]
LordCanti said:
MPD 17
Yep. Worst
twist
ever.
I don't think
it's a twist. It's just another case of the audience not knowing a characters true motivations. As I've said above, this has happened multiple times in the show.
Branduil said:
You're assuming he didn't know about it.
Assume nothing! Suspect everything!

Jex

Hitokage said:
K-ON! 11-12 END, Extras 1-2

Yup, definitely liked this. Again, it's not something deserving high marks, but it was consistently enjoyable and that alone went way above my expectations.
Well, it's enjoyable because a lot of work went into making it light and consumable. It's a lot of skilled talent working to create something very...casual.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
God, you guys are STILL talking about Madoka? Shit, I'm going back to sleep...

Oh wait, I have to go to the DMV today to get a new ID. DAMN YOU DESIRE TO DRINK AND BE MERRY!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jexhius said:
Well, it's enjoyable because a lot of work went into making it light and consumable. It's a lot of skilled talent working to create something very...casual.
...fuck, now I have to check out the rest of K-ON!. I fucking hate you.

Dresden

These Index spoilers seem even dumber than usual.

Gremlin. A global enemy force that is a fusion of magic and science.

It seems this mysterious organization that appeared suddenly after World War 3 is working in secret in Hawaii, America's 50th state.

Under the guidance of Leivinia, the boss of the British Golden-style magic cabal called the Dawn-Colored Sunlight, Kamijou and the others head to Hawaii.

The group is made up of Kamijou Touma, Misaka Mikoto, Accelerator, Hamazura Shiage, Misaka Worst, and Kuroyoru Umidori.

And just as they arrive at New Honolulu International Airport, an attack by Gremlin's magicians begins.

Gremlin's plot is advancing below the surface. The sole man in America who has realized this searches for a means of resisting them on his own.

He is a the kind of person that just has too much energy.

His name is Robert Katze. Known by all, he is the President of the United States.

Branduil

Dresden said:

2fwMY.gif

cajunator

Banned
I don't want to overuse it like :jakncoke in the NFL thread.
Use it sparingly.

Also, K-ON is awesome.
I am glad people are coming around. About fucking time.

trejo

cajunator said:
I don't want to overuse it like :jakncoke in the NFL thread.
Use it sparingly.

Also, K-ON is awesome.
I am glad people are coming around. About fucking time.
No one's 'coming around', Hito is just now getting there. The poor soul.

Dresden said:

It seems this mysterious organization that appeared suddenly after World War 3 is working in secret in Hawaii, America's 50th state.

Under the guidance of Leivinia, the boss of the British Golden-style magic cabal called the Dawn-Colored Sunlight, Kamijou and the others head to Hawaii.

The group is made up of Kamijou Touma, Misaka Mikoto, Accelerator, Hamazura Shiage, Misaka Worst, and Kuroyoru Umidori.

And just as they arrive at New Honolulu International Airport, an attack by Gremlin's magicians begins.

Gremlin's plot is advancing below the surface. The sole man in America who has realized this searches for a means of resisting them on his own.

He is a the kind of person that just has too much energy.

His name is Robert Katze. Known by all, he is the President of the United States.

Wait.....
Misaka Worst joins the party?

neoanarch said:
Kannagi >K-On
Well sure, probably true, but that's not saying a lot.

dresden said:
Index/toaru story, dumber than usual? I don't know if that's possible... I think it maxed out on that pretty early on.

Branduil said:
More like Ui hit her on the head with a hammer.
Wow, so SHE's the one responsible for this? She's a bad sister... :)

Ui just prefers her women like ABF prefers his anime: retarded and hinting at incest.
Ui and Yui're relationship is just completely stupid and unbelievably saccharine, not hinting at incest, I'd say.

... Maybe you could say it's hinting at incest-baiting, given how Ui basically completely dotes on her sister, but it just doesn't come across as suggesting incest to me.

Articalys said:
http://i.imgur.com/DKovU.jpg

"What's in the box?" "Nothing much, just my victory over you in Saimoe."

Semi Final 2
1st 407 Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 392 Madoka Kaname @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica

The final match, Kyouko Sakura vs. Mami Tomoe, will take place after a 24-hour break. Please look forward to it.

e: A combined 1600 votes for both semifinals is absolutely pathetic and shows how anemic the response to Saimoe has become. Even as just another stupid popularity contest, it's even more of a joke now than ever before.
Wow, Madoka lost? Unexpected... but yeah, it's obvious that almost no one in Japan cares about this, given those vote totals.

doomed1 said:
I RETURN! Yeah, sorry 'bout the long absence only to turn up in the wee hours of the morn, but hey, I have a life. :p

Anyway...

Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing 1-3
Well, just caught up with this, and... it's not bad! Actually, in many different ways, it's better than the original! The art is clearer (Murata still rock'n), the animation is rock solid (ignoring the typical QUALITY shots), and the cinematography is SOOOOO much better paced and produced than the first. That was actually the biggest failing of Last Exile S1, the shot structure and pacing was lazy, tended to fall flat, and slowed everything down when it shouldn't have slowed down. The speed of developments in this is just a little on the high side, and with the total in medias res of the narrative, it was almost a little jarring to jump right into this. But then I remembered, a direct narrative sequel to the original would have been, aside from the easy way out, probably the worst way to go about it. While it was a bit strange to get into the feel for things and sort of release my expectations for the show, it's started to click and it's not bad at all.
Hmm, I don't know. I mean, yes, it is fast paced, but I think it's probably a bit TOO fast. I mean, this thing starts out at full speed and just gets faster from there, only in ep. 3 does it slow down at all and that sure looks temporary... it's definitely a lot faster paced than the first show, but I think they might have gone a bit far.

I mean, it's good, but so fast paced...

I do have some problems though. The characters, while very likable, are unfortunately running the standard "WE'RE SO POSITIVE, INNOCENT, AND PRINCIPLED" of anime protagonist syndrome. Fam actually started as a great character, a Sky Pirate who gleefully ambushes ships with no regard for those inside to be stripped of their vessel and then left God knows where. I knew that Fam HAD to have been an idealist on some level, but that casual disregard for authority and a certain level of personal interest made me think for a bit that this show wouldn't suck.
Well, I think they were trying to create a balance. That is, the world right now is pretty bleak really. The villains are sweeping up the goodguys, lots of people have died, a city was destroyed, etc... they didn't want this series to be completely depressing, so the main characters were made optimistic. I like that, it wouldn't be as likable a series with all tragedy and unhappiness all the time. It's close enough to that as it is, really.

But then Fam had to go and be a doormat to Princess Dumb-as-rocks. After actually LISTENING to the idiot broad and somehow infiltrating a HIGHLY ADVANCED ENEMY AIRSHIP, Fam is the one that feels bad she couldn't save Princess Plotpointia MacGuffin? Bitch please. That girl deserved to be slapped, not the one doing the slapping. That the pirates are exiles created by the Sky Nazi Federation is probably the worst part. So much potential to create a loss of innocence story stronger than the original! All relegated to the boring, predictable standard of Innocence>Fall>Depression>Revival>Victory that's basically in just about every other anime ever made. Godfuckingdamnit, why'd they have to go the easy answers route...
You're somewhat right here, and I do agree that Fam should be harder on the princess, but her soft approach does seem to have made some kind of impact, given that after she over-indulged the princess in ep. 3 (going after that cup) the princess did say she'd try to change some... my hopes are not high, but we'll see. Fam definitely is too nice to her though.

Also, why shouldn't Fam also feel bad that they failed to save the older sister? I mean, the younger princess clearly feels worse, but they went back to try to rescue her, and couldn't... yes, I agree that the direction the pirates have gone in is pretty stereotypical -- as I said, they are of course "good pirates" who only prey on villains, not real pirates (as with Skies of Arcadia, etc, etc.), but it's understandable why they'd do that really. Evil pirates as main characters? That'd be a different kind of story...

Oh, and my guess is that part of why Fam's acting like that to the princess isn't just because she feels bad and such, but also because she's trying to make friends and get the princess to be a little nicer, and thinks that this is a good way to do it? Maybe she's thinking that, anyway. I'm not sure.

Oh well, I'm still enjoying it. I'll keep watching, but there best be some dogfighting eventually, damnit!
I'm sure there will be, but the fleet combat's pretty good too.

Jex

Branduil said:
What happened to :cajun?
It's died a rightful death?
Dresden said:
No matter how you try to doll up a roach into something cute or moe~, it's still a fucking roach. Kill it with fire.
Yup. There's not much more to be said for those foul creatures.

Zenith

Banned
Need another anime series to chew through after Darker than Black (boy, were people right about season 2). Something similar to it and Parasite Eve 2 in premise of slick secret Gov unit shooting up paranormal/sci-fi shit in the present day would be good.

Alternatively is there a K-on/Azumanga Daioh clone but with more funny out there?

Jex

Zenith said:
Need another anime series to chew through after Darker than Black (boy, were people right about season 2). Something similar to it and Parasite Eve 2 in premise of slick secret Gov unit shooting up paranormal/sci-fi shit in the present day would be good.

That's a pretty specific request, but the best I can do are some general threads:

Good threads:

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347831 (01-05-2009)

NeoGaf Top Anime Results http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173356 (07-22-2007)

I mean, if we're talking action and science fiction the obvious choice would be the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex TV series, but everyone's seen that already.

Dirty Pair is an 80's show that certainly has a lot of classic sci-fi actions. It's pretty excellent, if you don't mind rather some rather silly stuff. Space Adventure Cobra as well.

Zenith said:
Ga-Rei Zero and Witch Hunter Robin fit your criteria and are both very enjoyable shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom