• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
I have a question regarding these Saimoe contenders. What makes them interesting, from a character perspective? I mean,
Mami dies and doesn't really get a ton of screentime, so why is she so popular? Headless moe?
It just seems rather odd.

In Mami's case, she was the turning point in the series, well of course there was the plethora of jokes that followed, and it also helps that she tied into "The cake is a lie" meme as well.

Oh and she has the biggest mammies out of all of them, that's got to count towards something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
In Mami's case, she was the turning point in the series, well of course there was the plethora of jokes that followed, and it also helps that she tied into "The cake is a lie" meme as well.

Oh and she has the biggest mammies out of all of them, that's got to count towards something.
This.

cajunator

Banned
Jexhius said:
I have a question regarding these Saimoe contenders. What makes them interesting, from a character perspective? I mean,
Mami dies and doesn't really get a ton of screentime, so why is she so popular? Headless moe?
It just seems rather odd.
Tiro goddamned finale.

Otherwise, I dont know.

Kyouko was much more interesting. And lesbian.

Infinite Justice said:
Yep. IIRC she is from another batch of Misaka clones who are physically older than the original and i think their Esper level is higher than the first clones too.

that must suck having so many clones of yourself out there...
They're a new batch of Misaka clones with metal rods stabbed through-out their bodies to disrupt them from interfacing with the Misaka network, and to increase their esper powers.

They were designed for military application and are "damaged goods" like Accelerator is/was.

Jex

Madoka Spoilers
Branduil said:
Death=increased popularity?

Plus her life sucks in general and she goes crazy in episode 10 and starts murdering people.
I mean, I can see why she's in it, in that she's a character from a popular series. I just don't see the particular appeal. I suppose
suffering
is extremely moe? She presumably needs a lot of protection.

wonzo

Banned
Gintama 23

3VcRU.jpg

spider moe > *

/XX/

Damn! Now that there are available translations for chapter 9 of MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM second volume of the novel, the equivalent of episode 18 of the animated series, I'll have to evade spoilers again for another whole week!

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Madoka Spoilers

I mean, I can see why she's in it, in that she's a character from a popular series. I just don't see the particular appeal. I suppose
suffering

Do people even take character into account that much in these polls? I'm sure it plays some part but after a while, it probably boils down to personal moe preferences.

Dynedom

Articalys said:
Hey, good news, Funimation picked up Hellsing Ultimate VIII and it looks like they're finally moving forward with the other unreleased volumes:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ion-announces-hellsing-ultimate-ova-8-license
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-04/funimation-acquires-hellsing-ultimate-volume-viii

NOW WHERE THE HELL IS ROBERTA'S BLOOD TRAIL

Excellent. Can't wait to rewatch these episodes with the english dub. I really hope they can get the english cast together again from the previous releases.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Madoka Spoilers

suffering
That's definitely part of it. Her family is dead, she was about to die and she got tricked by a demonic mascot into living a horrible life.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
Madoka Spoilers

suffering

blood-c-ep1-11.png

Did someone say protection?

Branduil

/XX/ said:
Damn! Now that there are available translations for chapter 9 of MAWARU-PENGUINDRUM second volume of the novel, the equivalent of episode 18 of the animated series, I'll have to evade spoilers again for another whole week!
It should be illegal for them to spread spoilers around for an original anime.

Articalys

Dynedom said:
Excellent. Can't wait to rewatch these episodes with the english dub. I really hope they can get the english cast together again from the previous releases.
Quoth the Crunchyroll article:
Production on the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs will begin immediately at the original studio, New Generation Pictures, and will include the original cast featuring Crispin Freeman in his return as Alucard.
So no worries.

Jex

/XX/ said:
We live in a sick world, the kind of world where people would spoil such a thing.

/XX/ said:
That's why I like to stay in here, where the mods run a tight ship on these sorts of things.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
The fellow was asking for extra funny, not zero funny.
jman2050 said:
More funny, darkside. He said MORE.
By your impossible standards, there are no other funny school slice of life anime! Don't listen to these crazed individuals. Wearing nostalgia-glasses too long drives you mad. I know not how strong your comedic preferences are, but Nichijou's humor is stronger, more pronounced, and more happy-go-lucky than AzuManga. What AzuManga has over Nichijou is a slightly more subtle, less stated humor. Some people prefer that stuff. I never got into it. I liked Chromartie High School instead. Nichijou is more like Chromartie High School, but it manages not to overstate itself most of the time.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
By your impossible standards, there are no other funny school slice of life anime! Don't listen to these crazed individuals. Wearing nostalgia-glasses too long drives you mad. I know not how strong your comedic preferences are, but Nichijou's humor is stronger, more pronounced, and more happy-go-lucky than AzuManga. What AzuManga has over Nichijou is a slightly more subtle, less stated humor. Some people prefer that stuff. I never got into it. I liked Chromartie High School instead. Nichijou is more like Chromartie High School, but it manages not to overstate itself most of the time.

Oh, it's you.

Figures you'd latch on to a terrible show like Nichijou.

Dresden

Nichijou had some good episodes man.

I figure you could cut it down to something with 11 episodes, make it real watchable whatnot ya.

Horizon 5

Wow, this is incredible! I did not expect the series to keep escalating until reaching this point, at least not by episode 5. Crazy action and twists all over the place.

Acceleration dude is awesome. The way he
intentionally impaled himself with the spear to prevent it from reflecting
was an awesome tactic even if the general idea is a pretty standard strategy in a lot of fighting series. Either way, I love the dude's power and it's just another reason why I think this deserves an action game. So much potential in the sheer amount of abilities both standard and rare.

Can't wait for next week, though I expect it to be a cool down episode after this insanity.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:

If Nichijou was more consistant with the visual gags, which were excellent I'd have a better impression of it overall, but it's the type of show that has so much boring crap inbetween the good bits that it's better viewing the gags on youtube or looking at gifs of it.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Nichijou was boring like, 75% of the time. This was a problem throughout it's run, apart from a few episodes in the middle that there were much stronger. There isn't really anything else to say about it.

iavi

Jexhius said:
Nichijou was boring like, 75% of the time. This was a problem throughout it's run, apart from a few episodes in the middle that there were much stronger. There isn't really anything else to say about it.

I love how you speak with such absolutes. It's so dirty.

Jexhius said:

Except that it was the best show last season and 90 percent of the time.

Jex

Miri said:
I love how you speak with such absolutes. It's so dirty.
I just feel that, as it's a show I watched pretty much all the way through, I can speak about it in fairly black and white terms. It's a show that aimed to be, by and large, simply a comedy. There was no pretence at trying to do anything else, it was focused on one thing, which it did not deliver very often. If you're only trying to do one thing, and you can't do it, I don't really have any kind words for you.

There were a few 'evergreen' supporters of it on this forum, but many people here seemed to share the opinion that it was an oddly boring show far too often.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
Is Sentai ever going to release Dream Eater Merry so I can buy it? I want to buy it damn it.
Take my money motherfuckers.

Why do you want to spend money on such a thing? D:

PataHikari said:

Cue list warz?

Mature

I saw a couple episodes of Nichijou and it was certainly funnier than what is normally considered "funny" in anime.

Level-E is better B)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mature said:
I saw a couple episodes of Nichijou and it was certainly funnier than what is normally considered "funny" in anime.
No, it really isn't. Poor comedic timing, dragged out jokes, repetition of jokes, repetition of dragged out jokes, plain unfunny dull shit, etc. I just described most of Nichijou.

It's bad.

scy

Nichijou wanted to be funny all the time but only tried every now and then :( Those moments were good but not enough for the amount of time, unfortunately.

Jex

PataHikari said:
Last season? Funny? BRING IT ON!

(I have no problem with people liking Nichijou, really).

Branduil

PataHikari said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "last season," but it was in no way the best show airing during either of its cours. Usagi Drop and Hanasaku Iroha alone ensure that much.

Jexhius said:

For me there are more misses than hits in it, up to episode 9 and Im still counting on one hand the number of skits that were funny.

Branduil

PdotMichael said:
To say something nice, the second op was great!
There's plenty you can say nice in terms of production. The animation, art design, music, etc. was all fantastic. It just wasn't consistently funny, which is bad when you're making a comedy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nichijou would have been a much better show if it was JUST about the Professor.

Risette

A Good Citizen
thetrin said:
Nichijou would have been a much better show if it was JUST about the Professor.
Well, it would've been easier to write off at least. The Professor stuff was so so so dull. Dullest stuff in a largely dull show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom