• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guilty Crown 04

Return to awesome. This is the show I want to watch, I hope they keep it up.
Looks like the high school hijinks was a red herring. I'm glad too, this episode had everything I loved about the first episode.

Story-wise. The detective guy is so going to bromance over Shu. I suspect that "transmitter" will be a key point later in the show, when Gai does something exceedingly dickish.

Hnnnng. Inori.

Last Exile 03

This show has captured the old charm Gonzo shows used to have. I'm enjoying it, but I can't entirely explain why. Seems to be under appreciated.

Mature

icarus-daedelus said:
You must be new here.
"Junior Member" Yes, I am. I was excited at the prospect of an anime community that wasn't terribly embarrassing to be a part of (as most are), but the whole page of people essentially arguing against people's opinions and then a page of arguing what is and isn't an irrelevant anime stereotype is kinda weak. It's not that bad though, just disheartening.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Idolmaster 8 - not bad, really. I was right on the edge of enjoyment vs indifference, but the wrap-up was cute, if stupid ("oh, Mr Oil Baron, I didn't expect you to be so hot!") and pushed me over the edge. I still feel like there's something off about rooting for shallow girls to become hollow, manufactured pop sensations, which is only reinforced by the corny, crappy pop music that pervades the show. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was mildly amused by this episode. Still looks good, if a bit bland art-wise.
You can call it quits now if you want. It doesn't get better than that.

Reknoc

MotionBlue said:
Guilty Crown 04

Return to awesome. This is the show I want to watch, I hope they keep it up.
Looks like the high school hijinks was a red herring. I'm glad too, this episode had everything I loved about the first episode.

Story-wise. The detective guy is so going to bromance over Shu. I suspect that "transmitter" will be a key point later in the show, when Gai does something exceedingly dickish.

Hnnnng. Inori.

Something actually exceedingly dickish or exceedingly dickish for Shu, because that could be something like calling him a "doody head".

Geneijin

Mature said:
"Junior Member" Yes, I am. I was excited at the prospect of an anime community that wasn't terribly embarrassing to be a part of (as most are), but the whole page of people essentially arguing against people's opinions and then a page of arguing what is and isn't an irrelevant anime stereotype is kinda weak. It's not that bad though, just disheartening.
I thought that's called a discussion.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mature said:
Listen, I'm sorry to be the one to have to say this, but there isn't a single anime, nay, nerd community out there that isn't embarrassing to be a part of on some level. At the very least, you can take solace in that we don't fawn over these series shallowly like many other communities and for the most part we can all clearly, respectably, and deeply express our opinions and perceptions of the shows we watch, even if we sometimes don't agree. It's better than the shallow BS that gets thrown around most anime communities filled with Nippon-dazzled kawaiidesunee plebeians.

Really, we argue because our academic, anime-watching-master-race status comes with a touch of elitism. We just happen to have several different types of elitists. :p

trejo

doomed1 said:
Listen, I'm sorry to be the one to have to say this, but there isn't a single anime, nay, nerd community out there that isn't embarrassing to be a part of on some level. At the very least, you can take solace in that we don't fawn over these series shallowly like many other communities and for the most part we can all clearly, respectably, and deeply express our opinions and perceptions of the shows we watch, even if we sometimes don't agree. It's better than the shallow BS that gets thrown around most anime communities filled with Nippon-dazzled kawaiidesunee plebeians.

Really, we argue because our academic, anime-watching-master-race status comes with a touch of elitism. We just happen to have several different types of elitists. :p
No u.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
Ugh... this isn't going to get anywhere unless I decide to pull out specific instances in the show, and for the life of me I do NOT want to rewatch that travesty of a
secret Magical Girl Groundhog's Day
again if I can avoid it, and that analyzing from an archetypal perspective is about as fluid as the rest of lit criticism. I can understand where everyone is coming from with my more loose definition of tsundere, but like I said before, archetypes, by their nature have to be fast and loose or else they end up being so strict that there's really no purpose for them. Archetypes are approximations and subject to an individual's reading of the piece. Would anyone agree with me if I said that Romeo and Juliet was a black comedy?

You don't need to re-analyse Kyouko, the bottom line is a tsundere is a character who schizophrenically hides their love for the object of affection by kicking the shit out of them, or absuing them verbally, that's how anime has depicted that specific character trait and it should be kept as simple as that, if the term is used to widely and too loosely then it becomes Spartacus.

Geneijin

Steroyd said:
You don't need to re-analyse Kyouko, the bottom line is a tsundere is a character who schizophrenically hides their love for the object of affection by kicking the shit out of them, or absuing them verbally, that's how anime has depicted that specific character trait and it should be kept as simple as that, if the term is used to widely and too loosely then it becomes Spartacus.
doomed1
(Today, 06:29 PM)

Mature

Geneijin said:
I thought that's called a discussion.
Not what I meant. When someone says they like something and someone else says "No, you're wrong, it's shit." That's not a discussion. You at least need to articulate yourself more than saying you hate something that someone else likes because it doesn't suit your personal taste. There's not an objective algorithm stating some hierarchical quality of all anime that everyone must submit to.

doomed1 said:

I'm not saying embarrassing because "ooh, I hope people don't think i'm weird because i like anime!" I'd like to think I'm old enough to be past caring about something like that. Embarrassing in the sense that, like you said, people just tend to fawn over things and not use logic. That is notably absent here which is refreshing.

Steroyd said:

Crixus is tsundere to Spartacus!!!

Geneijin

Mature said:
Not what I meant. When someone says they like something and someone else says "No, you're wrong, it's shit." That's not a discussion. You at least need to articulate yourself more than saying you hate something that someone else likes because it doesn't suit your personal taste. There's not an objective algorithm stating some hierarchical quality of all anime that everyone must submit to.
Yeah, you haven't been here long enough to notice the lightheartedness in the banter. If people really wanted to have a discussion, they will. Either side will do. Someone just has to start it. Judging by both sides, no one wants to bother so the discussion will die. That's it really.

And there's been no use of much derogatory words, so it's not as hateful as you make it to be.

hellclerk

Steroyd said:
No, that's what a tsundere does in a romance situation. Specifically a romance situation. What do you say about the Type A Tsundere Taiga who kicks the shit out of everyone no matter whether she's in denial about loving them or not? I gave a very simple definition before: in technical terms, a Tsundere is a character archetype that uses negative aggression to hide or draw attention away from a perceived emotional vulnerability. This can be love of all 3 types, guilt, depression, loneliness, if it's vulnerable, it counts.

Hell, even in the most simple of terms, a Tsundere is cranky on the outside, but pleasant on the inside. That is all, and that is what Kyouko was to Sayaka as she warmed up and tried to save her. I don't quite understand how this controversial. You can disagree with me if you like, but there's plenty of evidence where I can support my postulation.

EDIT:
Damnit! I liked my old tag! Oh well, this one's not that bad either, but I guess I'll just have to get into another argument with firestorm about yuri and yaoi... Any way to combine the two? >__>

Reknoc said:
Something actually exceedingly dickish or exceedingly dickish for Shu, because that could be something like calling him a "doody head".

I mean, actually dickish :p

I'm convincing myself episode 3 was just a red herring. Really REALLY liked episode 4, especially dem songs.

Mature said:

Animugaf argues because it is passionate. You can't join a anime community and not expect that. Welcome aboard regardless~

hellclerk

Geneijin said:
Yeah, you haven't been here long enough to notice the lightheartedness in the banter. If people really wanted to have a discussion, they will. Either side will do. Someone just has to start it. Judging by both sides, no one wants to bother so the discussion will die. That's it really.

And there's been no use of much derogatory words, so it's not as hateful as you make it to be.
Pretty much this. I'm having fun discussing this since I don't really get to that often. Plus, it's a great mental workout for the research paper for Ides of the King that I have to finish by Thursday. I've been having some trouble with the direction I want to take the paper, and this discussion has helped me finalize a myth cycle/romance literature Jungian perspective. Gotta love me my archetypes~

Reknoc

MotionBlue said:

I'm convincing myself episode 3 was just a red herring. Really REALLY liked episode 4, especially dem songs.

Music has certainly been something that's been pretty good in GC. Actually, funnily enough I was a little disappointed with the insert song near the end. I mentioned after watching 3 that it gave me a small Deep Forest vibe, so I was a bit upset when it turned into a full on vocal song.

So far Shu has been suffering from "Tsuna from Reborn Syndome" (I'm sure there's a proper trope name for that but I don't care enough to find out) where he spends most of the time being totally pathetic, and then when the fighting starts he'll totally bad ass out and you finally think you can like this character... only for him to go back to being a massive pussy the next episode. :(

scy

MotionBlue said:

Time to put Guilty Crown 4 on a priority watch then~

Anyway, Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai 5 - Hooray, SaGa parody! Hooray, Kobato!

So random thought,
Yozora's reactions to more and more people joining seems a bit weird. Wonder if she intended for the club to be solely her and Kodaka and is more against the people joining due to that reason. The only one she seemed okay with was Yukimura who has the bullying background, which is the whole backstory between Kodaka and Yozora anyway. Kind of a "hoping it sparks his memory" kind of thing?

Reknoc said:
Music has certainly been something that's been pretty good in GC. Actually, funnily enough I was a little disappointed with the insert song near the end. I mentioned after watching 3 that it gave me a small Deep Forest vibe, so I was a bit upset when it turned into a full on vocal song.

So far Shu has been suffering from "Tsuna from Reborn Syndome" (I'm sure there's a proper trope name for that but I don't care enough to find out) where he spends most of the time being totally pathetic, and then when the fighting starts he'll totally bad ass out and you finally think you can like this character... only for him to go back to being a massive pussy the next episode. :(

It seems like a common trope, I try not to hold it against the show though. I remember thinking Renton was annoying in Eureka Seven too, and only grew to love the show to bits.

Seems like he is only a bad ass when with Inori, which seems tied to him and her being acquainted as children.

Given Shu's mother is a scientist, I'm willing to bet Inori plays a much larger part in whats going on then at first glance. Sorta like Deadman Wonderland, or again, Eureka Seven.

Geneijin said:

Maybe its a good thing he/she wasn't here when image flirting was a thing :p

Instro

Geneijin said:

Yet

scy said:
Anyway, Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai 5 - Hooray, SaGa parody! Hooray, Kobato!

So random thought,
Yozora's reactions to more and more people joining seems a bit weird. Wonder if she intended for the club to be solely her and Kodaka and is more against the people joining due to that reason. The only one she seemed okay with was Yukimura who has the bullying background, which is the whole backstory between Kodaka and Yozora anyway. Kind of a "hoping it sparks his memory" kind of thing?

Those were my thoughts exactly
the instant we saw the "history" they have.

scy

MotionBlue said:
Those were my thoughts exactly
the instant we saw the "history" they have.

If it does go that route,
tragically sad that at the lengths she's going to have Kodaka remember her. Though it makes me wonder about the fact that she seems angry at the idea that guys and girls can't have a normal relationship but uh ... winning the harem kind of proves this point, wouldn't it?

Guilty Crown 4 - It's a small touch but I like the changes in the ending song video per episode.

Anyway, stuff happens. Lots of it. I agree that
maybe the school bit is going to end up left behind for the sake of furthering the plot. May have been there to serve as the basis of the betrayal that forces Shu to join Funeral Parlord officially rather than "AND NOW ... CLASS FOCUS!" Then again, there's some classmates that haven't really been given much exposure yet but they're in the OP so ... we'll see?

And Crouching Weakling, Hidden Badass all day for Shu. Straight up mans up this episode; I eagerly await him being dropped back down to dopey and pathetic until the next time he's needed to be cool.

trejo

Guilty Crown 4

First half wasn't doing much for me but hot damn that second half was a balls to the wall actionfest. Why, there were even some 2D mechs sprinkled here and there!

It also seems to be established at this point that Shu is going to be a badass motherfucker when a scene calls for it and a stupid whiny bitch whenever else. Whatever.

And my doubts have been cleared. The music in the show is, in fact, outstanding.

scy

icarus-daedelus said:
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 4

It's like a horrible sadistic version of Reading Rainbow.

I'm not sure how we got to this point but now I'm intrigued and frightened.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jexhius said:
I have a question regarding these Saimoe contenders. What makes them interesting, from a character perspective? I mean,
Mami dies and doesn't really get a ton of screentime, so why is she so popular? Headless moe?
It just seems rather odd.
Remember when the L-Block from Tetris won the GameFAQs' character contest thingy?

Yeah, it's like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mature said:
You should have been here when we were discussing hentai authors. That was fun.

Regulus Tera said:
Remember when the L-Block from Tetris won the GameFAQs' character contest thingy?

Yeah, it's like that.

Should have been Nobunaga's vomit instead. (Gintama 99)

icarus-daedelus said:
Apparently this was originally an H game. I'm trying to imagine the parts where the H would have been.

aaaaand unlike, say, Air, it's really quite obvious where they cut that out.

OTOH, I still really have no idea what's going on, like, at all.

The original eroge had a male MC who was totally cut out of the anime in favor of lesbian antics.

Mature said:
This was your first mistake.

Was wondering when they'd
introduce that girl from the ED
Why is that smart dude's daughter even in the show? She does nothing but have drill hair and be there.
Well maybe she'll finally get her ep too.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Guilty Crown 4

First half wasn't doing much for me but hot damn that second half was a balls to the wall actionfest. Why, there were even some 2D mechs sprinkled here and there!

It also seems to be established at this point that Shu is going to be a badass motherfucker when a scene calls for it and a stupid whiny bitch whenever else. Whatever.

And my doubts have been cleared. The music in the show is, in fact, outstanding.

trejo my brother!

trejo

My friends can't possibly be this cute 5

Meh episode but I gotta say, Largehard is a great name for a videogame company. Or any sort of company, really.

Reknoc

slopeslider said:
Why is that smart dude's daughter even in the show? She does nothing but have drill hair and be there.

I can't think of a better reason for her to be there. Though you forgot she also wears horse riding clothes~

slopeslider said:

She is an enabler, her presence gives the Detective access he otherwise would not have.

UNGO 04

Finally, a good episode.
I always like AI-related stories, and this one was slightly predictable but still very interesting.

MotionBlue said:
She is an enabler, her presence gives the Detective access he otherwise would not have.

UNGO 04

Finally, a good episode.
I always like AI-related stories, and this one was slightly predictable but still very interesting.
She needs her own ep, right now she's just an organic security card that escalates clearance as plot dictates.
I don't dislike her or anything, but she needs her ep soon, hell I'm saying she needs an ep and we know more about her personal life than the two detectives!
She's the first character introduced in the show!
It was kinda creepy when
it went to pleasure mode

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Apparently this was originally an H game. I'm trying to imagine the parts where the H would have been.

aaaaand unlike, say, Air, it's really quite obvious where they cut that out.

OTOH, I still really have no idea what's going on, like, at all.
Amazingly enough, things make more sense later on. Not a lot more, but more nonetheless.

Mature

Hellsing321 said:
This was your first mistake.
It's like when you're at the supermarket looking for a good banana and they're all bruised up and too old. You still want some bananas, so you just pick the least ugly/gross looking bunch.

You're a revolting banana, but you're just yellow enough to be mine, anime gaf <3

Wait, someone said Un-Go 4 is good? Come onnn... Don't make me do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom